Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jerrit Caladan  (Read 8332 times)
Jerrit Caladan
New Santharian

« on: March 15, 2002, 04:54:22 PM »

Jerrit Caladan is a male half human/half harpy crossbreed.  In other words, he's something like a male angel, only crazier.

Appearance: Jerrit is about twenty-five years old.  Jerrit has hazel eyes and brown hair.  His hair cannot be combed.  (Okay, it can be combed, but it wont do any good.  He wears a pair of specially imported gnomishcraft spectacles which make him look much older than he is.  Jerrit wears a brightly colored vest much has been described as 'colorful', 'cheerful', and 'tacky'.  The former would be closer to the truth.  His pants are extra tough canvas trousers.  They are made by the famous elven seamstress Madame Okon Traar, who most tragically passed away exactly five minutes after making Jerrit's pants.  Jerrit has wings, as would be expected of a half-harpy.  Which combed, trimmed, and groomed he looks like an angel from heaven.  The other 365 days a year he's a slob.

Jerrit is a bit crazy.  Maybe eccentric is a better word.  Nah, crazy will do just fine.  He likes to have in depth conversations with himself on the nature of the universe and whether Drizzt could kick Sauron's a**.  He is creative and witty and not very organized.  He isn't the warrior type.  Jerrit is... bookish.  When he gets extremely pissed off he goes into a berzerking rage, though.  Don't worry, even in a berzerking rage he's harmless.  His social skills aren't perfect, but he still has more friends than his RL counterpart. (Boohoo! ;-D)  Oh, and he's deathly of trolls.  Please.  If GM's are listening, hear my plea: don't make Jerrit fight a troll.  I'd have to put him through counselling afterwards.

Jerrit's occupations have included: balladeer, troupadeer, inventor, freelance bookwriter, bartender, wine taster, wine stealer, mage's assistant, orator, dancing, whining, fake fortune teller, pickpocketer, bird trainer, and apprentice goblin summoner.  He is not a heroic adventurer, but he's played one in the Orcish Operahouse for Head Crunching.  As of now he is trying to sell his books and some illegally smuggled dwarven axes.  His current specification is in magic, specifically goblin summoning.

Jerrit's possesions are as follows:
some cash
an apple (which is bruised and starting to go overripe.)
paper
quills and ink
a large collection of pocket sized books
a crystal ball that does do anything and is actually made of glass
a lyre
a ring owned by his father
some magical scrolls
a rusty dagger.

Jerrit was born on a foggy day in a tower in the city of Calandria.  His mother was a harpy and his father smelt of elderberries.  Sorry about that, his father was a human.  (NOTE: About one out of every thousand harpy actually turns out as a beautiful and Serra Angelesque as opposed to vulgar, violent, and totally disgusting.  Jerrit's mother was one of those 1:1000 type harpies.  His dad was just a bored hero who was adventuring out and found a beautiful and willing women asking him to spend the rest of his otherwise dreary life with her.  The rest is history, and Jerrit would rather not think about it.

I don't think harpy is already a race, so I'll add it now: a harpy is a vile half woman/half vulture creature from Greek mythology that throws it's own excretement at enemies and has a rather foul mouth.  Actually, harpies can be male, it's just that not many of the males are ever seen.  A half human/half harpy is just that: half human and half harpy.  Or, if you prefer, 3/4 human and 1/4 vulture.  I don't have enough time to enter harpy as an official race right now, but I hope this will do.

Tarquet Galbar
New Santharian

Eh
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2002, 12:15:22 AM »

We aren't accepting new races at this time. Sorry.

Viresse
New Santharian

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2002, 03:27:22 AM »

*noddies*

You could change his harpy-ness. As far as I know, Santharia doesn't even HAVE harpys. The closest thing we have may be a Manticore.

But nevertheless, Manticore-Human would be quite wacky indeed.... if even possible... *shivers*

*uhms* Your work is descriptive and has humor! I like this! However, it needs to be divided up into the 4 categories; Appearance, personality, background and weapons/belongings.

If you look at some of the other approved Characters, you'll see the way they do it.

But yes, your character is great! Good job! We just need to format it for the Sorren boards. Thanks!

Viresse Sheelala
~contact~character~

Edited by: Viresse at: 3/15/02 6:33:06 pm
Jerrit Caladan
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2002, 09:08:22 AM »

It is divided up into appearance, personality, and weapons/belongings.  I just didn't label them.  There is also a paragraph for careers.
Jerrit without wings.. boohoo.  Oh well, I'll find a way around that somehow.  Maybe I'll make him think he has wings.  With Jerrit, it would make sense.  Oh, and thanks, I did try to make it funny.  That's because I, like Jerrit, am an aspiring writer.  (Aspiring is a nice way of saying I haven't gotten anything published and probably won't in the forseeable future.)  If you've read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, then you may be able to notice my character as having a very similar personality to Ford Prefect.
As for a manticore/human... that would be silly.  Cool, but silly.  Are you sure I can't add harpies?  Maybe I'll make him a full manticore... or maybe just a human.  I'll have to think about it.

Jerrit Caladan
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2002, 09:14:22 AM »

Oh, on an extra note... Jerrit Tenurb was my character at another board, where his title was Starvin' Artist in Chief.  I like that title because technically there is no D&D class for what Jerrit does.  (He writes books and babbles.)  I don't know where else I should post what title I want, so I'm putting it here.  If that's too much work I'll just go with Bard... it's close enough.

Uragel
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2002, 09:41:22 AM »

There is another character on the board with wings. If we can come up with another way for you to get those wings then you can have your wings. Perhaps a "mage" friend turned you in to a "dove" and then back again, but bolixed it up and you kept the wings and some of the "feather brained craziness" of the bird species?

A Santharian year is also different to an "earthly" year. I'm not sure off the top of my head how many days there are exactually, however I know that they differ.

There is also no "heaven" here... A light elf sent by Ava' perhaps..

and he's deathly of trolls deathly what? From what your saying around it, he's deathly affraid of them??

There are no GM's here. There are story mods, which RP in the story and control it through the ooc threads along with RP'ing inside.

cash - this is paper money... "picky" I know... but "coins" or "money" I think would be a better choice when your next editing it!

How about a bag or something to carry all his things in! hehe

Where as your character might not want to think about his own history doesn't mean that we're not going to want to know about it. Just a little bit on how he grew up. He's 25 years old with an interesting "skill set" which I think you'll need to explain how he got in to smuggling, and all the other "bits and pieces" as they are rather varied.

As Tarq pointed out - no new races at this time...  so your "Harpy-ness" as Vir' said can be changed to another already existing race, or if it's only the wings that your after, the above suggestion fot that might help.

I'm not crash hot on manticore-human relations.

I'd say go with 100% human with "quirks"..

How about Author (male human) or Trade Master (male human) Starving Artist (male human) ??

~ Uragel! ~  
 ~ Character Description | World   of Klintorth
~ Little Miss Moderating Mistress & All Round "Little Helper"~~  
Dont let it end like this...... Tell them I said something!!!

Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2002, 10:08:22 AM »

I, myself, like the idea that he thinks he has wings. That would add an interesting prospect to your rping.

Troupadeer? As in the French version of a bard? And you do need your history added to.
Apprentice Goblin summoner? This is magic? What kind? Suprised Tarq didn't pick up on that......

Sorry 'bout the harpys, when Art starts accepting new races PUT 'EM UP! They would be a great race.

That's pretty funny too! He does, infact, remind me of Ford Prefect.

If I'm your friend you better hope you don't have any enemies!

ME! And info thereof

"Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; The best of life is but intoxication."
- Lord Byron
Jerrit Caladan
New Santharian

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2002, 10:59:22 AM »

Both heaven and year weren't being used seriously.  He keeps all his stuff in a bag he wears on his back. (forgot to mention that).  Cash was just being used as slang for money, but I suppose soins would be a better word.  Yes, he is deathly afraid of trolls... sorry, I always make typos on long posts, even when I proofread them.  'The rest is history, and Jerrit would rather not think about it.' is not reffering to Jerrit's history as a whole, but Jerrit's conceiving.  Jerrit, like most people, prefers not to dwell on the fact that his parents once had sex.  He got into smuggling because of that vest he wears, actually... discovered he could hide a lot in it when he wanted to.  Starving Artist would be perfect.  I'm not too keen on manticore-human relationships either.  It would sure explain why Jerrit's so troubled, though.
A troupadeer is a kind of bard, yes, I do think the word came from France.  If so, that would be because the first troupadeer (this is in the Middle Ages, of course) came from France.  A troupadeer generally travels a troupe (misspellings, anyone?) for acting and singing.  For the record, other kinds of bards include balladeer, jester, skald, and about seven others I can't remember right now because I'm stupid.  I'll post them later.  Also, a Goblin Summoner summons goblins.  Technical name is Goblinmage.  (A Goblin Mage would be a goblin who is a mage.)  Byren Goblinmage was who Jerrit was apprenticed to.  Of all of Jerrit's skills other than creative stuff, Jerrit is best at goblin summoning.  He eventually dropped out of apprenticeship because Byren threatened him.  (Byren threatened him when he discovered Byren was having a 'liason' with one of the female students who Jerrit had a liking for.  Jerrit could have bribed him, but didn't want to get killed.)
And I'm glad to see someone agrees with my HHGTTG reference.  Consequently, Jerrit's father's name is Marvin.

Uragel
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2002, 11:24:22 AM »

:lol  The few things that I pointed out can be fixed with a quick edit. I like the human who thinks he has wings! It'll be funny!! I've not read the books, but I've been told various things about it.. Such as "42" and "travelling faster than light - the train thing" ?? But hey...... :)

The French title "can't" be in Sorren, as there is no France, nor french people :\  Selina Cantrell wanted some fancy french name but Tarq poo-poo'ed it coz' it was french - and rightfully so as there is no france / french in Sorren. It's that annoying logic "thing".

~ Uragel! ~  

Jerrit Caladan
New Santharian

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2002, 11:35:22 AM »

Well, as that we're all speaking in English... (or something like it)  Anyway, I have no proof troupadeer is french, and I don't really want it as a title as much as Starvin' Artist, because Jerrit doesn't travels in a troupe anymore.
I have a complete set of Hitchhiker books, the five novels and one short story, and I have read them all about fifteen times each.  I'm not exaggerating, I read very quickly.
And I've decided; Jerrit did have wings, and was a half-harpy, but aproximately two months ago he woke up and didn't have wings.  He doesn't know how it happened, and he hasn't really noticed he's lossed them.  Yet.  So now he counts a a full human.  (Though his great-great-great-great-great-great granduncle was supposedly a halfling... he might have just been short.)

Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2002, 11:57:22 AM »

I know troupadeer has French origins, although it might not be French. But it is just a synonym of bard or minstrel. And as you don't want that as a title it should be fine.

My only qualm is your history. If you're working on more that's fine, but you can't just leave us hangin' man! You're a great writer! So you must be able to write some more history! You starving-artist you!

I be
Bahran's
The owner of this sig is

I'm the html KING!
And also a Mod on the char descrips board

BAHRAN!!

- Lord Byron
Uragel
New Santharian

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2002, 12:04:22 PM »

My only qualm here is the "harpy". There aren’t any in Sorren / Santharia and so he couldn't have been one... or had the wings of one... :\  

~ Uragel! ~  

Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2002, 02:51:22 PM »

Oh yeah, that too.

I be
Bahran's
The owner of this sig is

I'm the html KING!
And also a Mod on the char descrips board

BAHRAN!!

- Lord Byron
Viresse
New Santharian

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2002, 06:37:22 PM »

guys, This is driving me insane...

the word is TROUBADOUR! heh. Unles you guys know something I don't.

I think for the sake of keeping Tarq at bay *giggles* Maybe we should stick with the ' wackadoo guy who thinks he has wings' deal. uh...what else?

You've done a good job.  

Viresse Sheelala
~contact~character~

Tarquet Galbar
New Santharian

Hm
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2002, 12:35:22 AM »

That would be best. Crazy people think lots of things.

And even if Troubador isn't French, it is European of some sort, and probably is French, but either way it doesn't exist in Santharia. Just like Harpies.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]