Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help! Writer's block!  (Read 1146 times)
Valannía Fá’rhéneú
New Santharian

« on: July 21, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »

Over the last three weeks or so, I've been lurking around with no real idea of what kind of character I wanted to play. Eventually I uhmm'd-and-aah'd about playing some form of elf or another race as close to nature as I was hoping for, and thought that creating an account here would flip the switch and help me decide which kind of character I wanted to create.

I did end up settling on playing a Kayrrhem elf, and read a few marvellous CD's for the various types of mages - which led me to wanting to create one myself. I figured perhaps a gardener or an architect would be a suitable occupation for my elf, and that earth magic would assist in her duties. (Ie: helping trees grow quickly, producing flora from empty soil etc etc). Now, I realise my ideas didn't match the prescribed spells for earth magic, and that my perspective and interpretation of this magic system was slightly skew-iff, which is fine with me. I humbly admit that I am well in over my head.  Roll Eyes

So, now I'm stuck without inspiration. I've done some looking through the old archives and character occupations seem so repetitive (healer here, mercenary there, assassin or twelve over yonder), and whilst they do make for interesting characters I find myself at a loss on what kind of career to pursue, and unable to keep writing my CD.

I was wondering if any other creative minds could give me some ideas which are slightly left of field. I did follow a link posted by Malexia (directing me to a great thread on elven occupations over on the dev boards), but I still can't think outside the box. :(

Help?

:)
Roy Tmofl
The Mage of Flaming Light
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian.

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »

A warrior for peace. As contradictive as it is interesting. You could make a character that specializes in hand to hand combat or staffs or anything else non lethal. But actively promotes peace around the world. You could have your character could do this by knocking a few skulls around for the greater good or something like that.

Not much to go off of but you may choose to use this as a building block for a CD if you wish.

Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one musn't misuse it.

Pope John Paul II

Magic and personal information.
History and equipment.
Lily Bedwyn
Water Lily
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:16:35 PM »

The great thing about elves is that they can be multi-talented. Most of them have an affinity for magic by nature and are usually schooled in archery (usually as hunters) or even swordplay. If you wanted to play an herbalist or farmer and have them be a Mage or fighter (which comes in handy as most stories involve combat) it would a very common idea.

The magic system can be daunting for first time players so my advice would be to stay away from mages for the moment until you get a better understanding about how it works.

One can not reflect in streaming water. Only those who know internal peace can give it to others.

Water Lily
Valannía Fá’rhéneú
New Santharian

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »

That's a nice suggestion, Roy, but elves don't have that mentality where they feel the need to, as you say, knock a few heads around. Especially the Kayr, who are quite peaceful and don't associate themselves with much outside their forest. I guess I'm going for a very passive character, here.

Thanks, Lily, I might look into herbology (of some decription) or maybe even landscaping now that i think of it... The Kayr don't actually hunt, so i wouldn't want to assign my elf an occupation that would go against her/her tribe's morals.
Landion Ohta'Raumo
Stoic Archer
Approved Character

Elven, Tethinrhim

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »

Weapon smith or jewelry maker? I've played around with the idea of creating a character that's a cartographer as well.

Valannía Fá’rhéneú
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »

I gave some thought to incorporating jewellery-making as a hobby but, alas, I think I have finally answered my own question. Thankyou everyone for getting my mind churning again :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 23, 2017, 02:08:26 PM]

[November 23, 2017, 02:06:29 PM]

[October 05, 2017, 09:17:18 PM]

[September 14, 2017, 01:43:18 AM]

[September 06, 2017, 01:35:39 PM]

[August 12, 2017, 05:37:27 PM]

[June 17, 2017, 11:01:53 AM]

[June 12, 2017, 10:36:30 AM]