Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Possible New Player Issue.  (Read 1489 times)
Covette Weyring
Prodigy Privateer
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian / Erpheronian

« on: November 15, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »

Well how to put this without sounding mentally deficient. I like to think I am fairly familiar with the workings of the site. (Ex-CD mod, Story Mod and writer of 20+ CDS) Yet, after endeavoring to create an account for this character. I found it odd that one of the questions to create an account was 'Who is the God of War?' Now after entering the name Ares, out-of-hand, I was told that one of my answers was wrong. *I pondered at this point, which of my answers was indeed, wrong.*

After double checking all of my answers and switching the site name question's answer a few times 'The Santharian Dream', "Caelereth' and 'Santharia'. It dawned on me that it was the Santharian God of War that was being asked for. I found this to be funny, on my part. Although it causes me to think that someone unfamiliar with the site would answer exactly as I originally did. Someone new to the site would not, most-likely, know the drop down menu needed to find this information or that there is even one created on the boards.

If someone with my knowledge of the site was slightly confused, I wonder how it would be for a new player. Just saying... crazy

I fully understand the value of these precautions against spam bots and such. Although, I do hope such a slightly obscure question has not turned away any would-be new recruits.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:06:21 PM by Covette Weyring » Logged

Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »

This can be confusing; still, as confusing as it is, where a standard CAPCHA was failing to work, this method has indeed stemmed at least somewhat the flow of spambots and hackbots that were for some time pouring onto the site. It was thought that some experience, or at least the capacity to deliberately seek out the answer to an arbitrary question, would be the best method of proving one's existence as a thinking, living person.

Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:57:08 AM »

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'd assume that it was refering to the Santh GOW. I mean, this IS a fantasy RP site... and the questions are meant to encourage new players to take a look see around the place. Also, if you come in by the main site, the site is in a frame, with the content on the side. It's not difficult to go to the religion tab and scroll down, nor is it a huge logic jump.

Off topic; it's great to see you again, Twennie. How've you been? hug

Covette Weyring
Prodigy Privateer
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian / Erpheronian

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »

@ Aueniteri: I completely understand the need for such precautions and applaud the administration for this step in turning away the spambots. I was merely expressing a concern for legitimate people that may be trying to join the site. In the very least it has started a conversation on the matter. :)

@Seh: I'm 100% for players, both old and new, researching things on the site. It just felt a bit odd, for me, that it took me four tries to register an account. Made me truly wonder how many real people would go through that much effort for a site they have not had a chance to experience. I will admit my brain was a bit sleep deprived at the time but I am also not new at navigating the site. :)

Fanfreakntabulous! How about yourself? Great to see you too Seh! hug
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:19:28 PM by Covette Weyring » Logged

Vesk Lyricahl
Woeful Rover
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:34:42 AM »

Maybe the solution would be to change the question to: "Who is the Santharian God of War?".

Just "Who is the God of War?" would have several possible answers to someone new to the site. They might not even realize that Santharia has religions. Even "Ares" being wrong might not tip them off, as "Mars" is just as valid of an answer to the original, vague question. There's no reason to assume that the question is asking about info that can be gained on the site, as it looks like your standard bot-check question.

Nexusian
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »

I can guarantee that this has put a lot of people off registering. And almost me too. I tried 6 times to register, did various Google searches and then it occurred to me to check this forum and I found this thread (which still hasn't given the answer, so it required a further search - the answer is Armeros).

I understand the need for caution around security, but as the previous poster said, making it clear that it's the Santharian GOW would be a big help. I also understand that it's good for newbies to look around the site but I couldn't find the answer and had to Google it.

I am a totally new gamer - I'm looking at the site to see if I can get my students involved as a teacher and this little detail would definitely put a lot of people off. Please fix it as the site looks brilliant and it's such a shame to lose so many people through this one tiny detail.

Thanks to the creator and everyone who has contributed to this awesome project so far!  grin
Artimidor Federkiel
Admin

Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »

There was a problem in the Admin area preventing me from changing the text of the questions - apparently a remnant of my fixes when the RPG board was hacked back then. By throwing out the hacked files I also made my life a bit more difficult... LOL

Anyway, I've fixed this issue now, so the registration Admin area is accessible now again. I also updated the board with the latest security patch. And I've finally changed the forth question to: Name the Santharian God of War... (hint: check the site!) and the fifth to The name representing the site is... (hint: 9 letter word). That should take care of the matter I'd say :)

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]