Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thirsty Herald Chapter XIX, Firstflame  (Read 17547 times)
Laell
Blade-Maiden
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian / Eyelian / Erpheronain

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 05:32:41 PM »

"Mm." For the umpteenth time in her life, Laell was rediscovering how much of a speech impediment hot food happened to be. "Passing through," she managed quickly,chewing for a moment on bits of vegetable and meat from the soup, setting her spoon down to look around the room again, not to see anything, but almost more as a gesture. "From Bardavos. I'm- from Bardavos, that is. Just thought I'd head north, see the big bright cities of Caelereth while I'm still young, or..."

It took the red-head a moment to realize the heat in her face wasn't from the room or her food, but that her cheeks had flushed. Exactly why she wasn't certain, but she blamed the dialogue. Perhaps, she supposed, she was giving away more than she should have, or would have under different circumstances. "Something equally as silly, I guess. Seyella willing; I just really, really need to... leave Bardavos."

On one hand, they claim that it is the result, not the effort given, that will imprint one forever in history; but on the other, is it not the form of the art, rather than the function, that defines its true beauty?
Gilith
Wandering Woodsmen
Mini-mod

Human, Gondolwenmith

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »

Gilith listened to Leall as she spoke, seemingly a little nervous still, but considerably better than before. He heard her say that she was from Bardavos, and that she was just passing through. For some reason she seemed to need to leave Bardavos desperately. Gilith didn't imagine she had gotten in to trouble over there for a few reasons, despite her nerves. The major reason however was how willingly she let a professional tracker sit down with her, and ask him to stay and talk with here. Plus she didn't seem much the villainous type. He realized that was always a bad idea, to underestimate someone and what they were capable of. But this women honestly didn't seem like she was capable of performing such a thing. Gilith responded to her.

"I don't think it's silly. I could never stand being in some places either. Or any place for too long that is, and let me tell you Leall. There truly is something fascinating about exploring the world. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Tell me though, do you have anyone else traveling with you? It wouldn't be very safe of you to explore the vast world alone."  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:32:42 AM by Gilith » Logged

Aye, I've my fair share of scars. Perhaps a bit too many to be honest, decent sign of a careless man. But those don't bother me, they heal, and even if they don't heal right I've always found a way to deal with 'em. The ones I can see at least, the others...the ones inside. They aren't so easy to forget about, they don't heal like the others do. They might heal in a day, a week, a year. Or maybe some like mine, won't ever heal at all. There's no getting past these scars, you can't treat it, you can't cover it up, and you can't find a way around it. But, there comes a day, when you learn to live it, and you stop living in the past, so you can do what your able for the future.

Gilith
Laell
Blade-Maiden
Approved Character

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »

Why, exactly, did she have to have just put hot food in her mouth when he asked if she were traveling alone? More importantly, why did she find the question at once startling and amusing? With little effort she managed to cover the sound of amusement with a cough, thanks in part to the food in her mouth, and worked it down before tearing off another small corner of her bread and nibbling at it, studying the stranger's face for nothing in particular while her food bought her time to summon a proper reply.

"My brother. Twin... brother. We look a lot ali-" There were times Laell wondered if she wasn't just partly a dimwit, especially moments like these. Quickly, she redirected her words. "Left Bardavos together, but he often wanders. I imagine we'll meet up again soon. You know," and here she found herself catching her breath in what might have been the unvoiced gesture of a laugh, amused and confused at the idea, "if you're offering..." and no more words came. Quickly, she looked away and lifted her glass again, holding it to her lips though she found herself unable to drink from it at the moment.

On one hand, they claim that it is the result, not the effort given, that will imprint one forever in history; but on the other, is it not the form of the art, rather than the function, that defines its true beauty?
Gilith
Wandering Woodsmen
Mini-mod

Human, Gondolwenmith

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 09:36:55 AM »

Gilith smiled encouragingly at her, glad that was talking to him at least. Though she did seem so very nervous. He nodded his head as she talked about her twin brother and wondered how long it just might take for them to meet up again, regardless Gilith supposed it was indeed to long for a lone woman to out in the wide and dangerous world.

He nodded his head when she mentioned his offering. He responded to her.

"Aye, I am offering you services if you'd have them from a man like myself. I mean not to brag but I am a very worldly man, I have traveled far and wide and I shant think you'd find a better suited guide in a hundred miles any direction from here. Of course if you don't want to accept my services that is alright as well, I won't be insulted of course, though I would not recommend a lone woman traveling without a companion."

Aye, I've my fair share of scars. Perhaps a bit too many to be honest, decent sign of a careless man. But those don't bother me, they heal, and even if they don't heal right I've always found a way to deal with 'em. The ones I can see at least, the others...the ones inside. They aren't so easy to forget about, they don't heal like the others do. They might heal in a day, a week, a year. Or maybe some like mine, won't ever heal at all. There's no getting past these scars, you can't treat it, you can't cover it up, and you can't find a way around it. But, there comes a day, when you learn to live it, and you stop living in the past, so you can do what your able for the future.

Gilith
Laell
Blade-Maiden
Approved Character

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »

"Well, I wouldn't have money to pay you," silly, he never asked for money; don't bring it up, "and I'm not really sure where I'm going," stupid, he didn't ask where you were going. She stopped talking for a moment, wincing visibly at her own clumsiness. At least she was forming full sentences now, that was a significant improvement. Better would be the moment she started talking like an intelligent person who was actually present for the conversation of which she was a full half. "I would love it. I'm sorry, I would... really appreciate someone to travel with. You're right about it being unsafe to travel alone, for anyone really, and I... feel like such an idiot. Forgive me. I don't always stammer over everything I say. Or do. This is painfully unusual for me."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:56:55 PM by Laell » Logged

Gilith
Wandering Woodsmen
Mini-mod

Human, Gondolwenmith

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 04:44:31 AM »

Gilith waved his hand calmly and nonchalantly at Laell's comments.  He didn't care about the quality of her speech, Ava only knew the garble that came out of his mouth sometimes.

S'all right Miss Laell, My speech isn't exactly poetry either, and as to payment have no fear. I'd just go on wandering anyways without you, consider your presence my payment.

Gilith leaned back in his chair and relaxed a little getting comfortable at this table and a little more so with his present company. Even though his paranoia rarely let him have a moment of peace he was occasionally able to drop his guard and take things easy. He just hoped he could get a drink, and some food soon.

Gilith
Tristessa Stonebridge
Herald Barmaid
Story Mod

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »

The morning had a nice little rush which had kept Triss busy. Even so, she had time to start preparations for lunch. She had hoped that it would bring more customers.

Once more, she was out in the common area making sure things were ready. A semi-wet rag ran across the surface of the bar. Her thoughts went to her daughter and father, so far away physically, but they were always near in her heart. She would have been lying if she said that she didn't get lonely from time to time. Her heart was often pained with the feeling of being alone. First her husband had been taken from her, then her father had taken her daughter to the city to give her more opportunities.

Sighing, she placed the rag underneath the bar. Grabbing a cup, she dipped it into a large barrel of clean water. Triss felt refreshed as the cool liquid slid down her throat. She stashed the cup underneath the bar, keeping it aside so she could use it later.

If a good meal and a nights' sleep is what you need,
Come to the Thirsty Herald, where you'll find the best deals around!

~*~Tristessa Stonebridge~*~
Gilith
Wandering Woodsmen
Mini-mod

Human, Gondolwenmith

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 04:02:32 AM »

Gilith breathed in deeply the new scents of the wooden building which swept by him as wind picked up coming at him from the building. By the smell of things lunch would soon be ready in the Thirsty Herald. Good, he was just in time getting back from his walk. Gilith let his deep breath out as he lifted his hand to open the door, and smiled slightly as he stepped out of the warm sun and in to the cooler more comfortable tavern. He stroked his beard as he looked around for a worker and soon saw one cleaning the bar with a rag. He moved to go talk to her and find out how soon it would be before they started serving. As he walked he debated what to drink in the meantime, certainly a nice wine sounded good to him, but alas, his sans were never that plentiful. A good mead would have to do, ale might be cheaper but he didn't like it's bitter taste, and if this mead was a sweet mead he was sure he couldn't resist it. Course, nothing went so good down the throat as a warm meal and mead together. Yes, yes, better save my strikes, I'll want to drink more when I'm eating anyways. Gilith cursed himself a fool for his loose money spending, but he soon got over it. He had enough for tonight at least, let tomorrow come with it's problem's but count today's blessings while they last.  

Gilith smiled at the worker as he approached her, but said nothing, as she seemed deep in thought. Though when she was done taking a drink herself he decided to inquire about a sudden thought he had. After ordering an drink of course, having buckled quickly under the desire for a beverage after having decided to save his money. He said to her. "Good afternoon, if you aren't too busy, I was wondering if I could purchase a flagon of mead? Also if you get a moment to talk, I'd like to offer you some of my services."

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:05:47 AM by Gilith » Logged

Gilith
Tristessa Stonebridge
Herald Barmaid
Story Mod

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »

Triss flashed a smile at the man at the bar. He had been one of the ones from earlier.

"Good afternoon, if you aren't too busy, I was wondering if I could purchase a flagon of mead? Also if you get a moment to talk, I'd like to offer you some of my services."

She thought for a moment, her fingers tapping slightly on the bar top. "Mead....? Hmm...we don't really have too much to offer in that way. We do have a sour mead. It's got a really nice and sweet taste, but the aftertaste is very, well, sour. It can also have a strong burning sensation as well. That's 4 sans. Was there a specific taste you were wanting? Perhaps we have something else that would work?

And, services? What sort of services do you offer?"
Her cinnabrown eyes cast a quick glance over him. He carried a bow, arrows, and a sword. She assumed his services didn't mean a stable boy. He looked a bit roughened up, but it appeared that being at the Herald had given him a fresh breath, for he looked much more rested than he had before.

Amabella Catston
Tool and Trinket Trader
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Aellenrhim / Erpheronian

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

Amabella always found it so hard to get back to work after a long, relaxed meal, especially when the weather was warm. Yet she had eaten all of her breakfast, of course - not letting a sweet crust of Fruzail or drop of Tulimon juice go to waste. How could she resist cleansing her palette of the dry rations she had eaten under the hot sun? Not to mention that she welcomed the civility of the tavern's rustic atmosphere compared to her harsh desert travels.   

After Amabella removed the napkin on her lap and placed it gently on the table, she left a few sans by her plate as a tip. After rubbing her temples slightly, she stifled a yawn with the back of her hand. She had indulged in nourishment for her body, but she needed something more to stave off her lethargy; food for thought. So for the rest of the morning, she studied her maps. As she began to idly wind one of her dress ribbons about her finger, she began to wonder why sleepiness was still creeping upon her. Much to her credit (or so she believed) Amabella recalled falling asleep only once at a breakfast table. It was in the middle of her father's grave business discussion concerning exactly what type of socks were fashionable in Manthria, and conversely, which socks were unforgivably out of season to wear.

The half-elf concluded that, even by occupying herself with her studies, she was still just acting out of habit. Hunger began pinching at her stomach, telling her that lunch ought to be coming soon. But when her life's moments were filled with only habits, she never felt truly awoken, only sifting through motions like in a walking dream.

So she resolved to do something different from her typical midday routines. Even a light conversation could serve as a welcome escape, as long as it was away from humdrum topics involving her business. She carefully held the folds of her skirt with one hand as she stood from her table. Only then did she realize that she had been seated in one position much too long, and swept aside brunette locks to massage the back of her neck slightly. As she approached the bar, she noticed a well-armed man ordering a drink. While waiting for her turn to order, she looked up at the menu, contemplating something light for lunch.

Gilith
Wandering Woodsmen
Mini-mod

Human, Gondolwenmith

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »

Gilith nodded to the other woman as she approached the bar, making a quick assumption with the glance he had of her. It was obvious that she was an elf, or at least part elf. The pointed ears wouldn't lie, but the fact that she was in a human town in a human bar seemed odd to Gilith, but he had traveled with elves who had been this way before. One, quite the beauty, represented more or less the brightest and best aspects of the elven race itself. Or at least Gilith thought so, the other, well, he was an odd fellow, but he always made him chuckle. The last one was quite the warrior actually, even pretty fond of strong drink. She wasn't very elvish but that didn't mean Gilith didn't like her. As Gilith turned his attention back to the woman he had been talking to he responded.

"In that case I'll just take your recommendation of wines. As to my services, I was wondering if I might hunt and gather for you for a while. That's normally how I make my living, though I often have to eat what I get to survive, an so there's little left of profit. Now while food isn't a problem for me, I don't have any where to stay, and certainly nothing to drink. If you'd be willing to trade with me I could probably bring you in something as early as tonight or tomorrow morning."

Gilith wasn't sure if there was even anything to hunt around here but he thought it was worth a shot, he had seventeen sans to his name, maybe thirty if he sold something he didn't need in town, and so he knew he wouldn't get far in this tavern without something to trade them. He was also worried that they wouldn't need food, or that she wouldn't believe he could bring enough in to make the trade worth her while. If this was the case he imagined that he would have to prove his worth to her. Which he was sure he could do, but would much rather set out on the hunt after a nice day in the tavern, and filled with hot food and cold drink.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:13:44 PM by Gilith » Logged

Gilith
Tristessa Stonebridge
Herald Barmaid
Story Mod

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:02 AM »

"In that case I'll just take your recommendation of wines. As to my services, I was wondering if I might hunt and gather for you for a while. That's normally how I make my living, though I often have to eat what I get to survive, an so there's little left of profit. Now while food isn't a problem for me, I don't have any where to stay, and certainly nothing to drink. If you'd be willing to trade with me I could probably bring you in something as early as tonight or tomorrow morning."

Triss nodded as her hand reached for a bottle of Tulimon grape wine. This wine was the Herald's specialty, and it was the one Triss always reached for whenever a customer was in doubt as to what they wanted. She expertly grabbed a wine glass and poured some wine into it. All the while, she listened to the man's proposition.

"We normally get our supplies delivered to us every few days or so from Strata," Triss said as she placed the glass in front of him. "However, it would always be nice to have something fresher and different. I believe a fair trade would be if you brought in enough food to feed 3 people, that would be enough to pay for a room for the night." She paused as her mind raced to think of what what conditions would be fair for both parties involved.

"I would also be willing to give as much free water as you would like, though I'm afraid I would have to charge for everything else. Would those arrangments be feasible for you?"

Before the man had an opportunity to respond, Triss noticed the woman from before approach the bar. She smiled at the man, giving a slight bob of her head. "Please, feel free to think it over."

Her attention turned to the woman. "Hello again, Miss Amabella. Is there anything I can get you?"

Gilith
Wandering Woodsmen
Mini-mod

Human, Gondolwenmith

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 02:38:08 PM »

Gilith nodded, slowly as he took a drink of the wine he was given. Raising an eye brow as soon as he did. This was very good, he would definitely be having more of it. As Gilith thought on the deal he was offered he couldn't find anything wrong with it, in fact it sounded fine to him. Better than fine even, he would get to do what he loved, which was hunt, bring back what he didn't eat from the hunt, sleep in a real bed for free and drink whatever water he pleased. Which while not nearly so tempting as a bout of alcohol every so often, still seemed nice. He set down his drink after quenching his immediate thirst. Then looked towards the woman he had just been talking with, she seemed preoccupied with someone else. That was fine, he was in no rush to start hunting, or trapping, or whatever it was that he was about to do for a room.  He just wanted to sit here and rest his weary feet. Maybe smoke a pipe of weed or do some other thing that he was rarely able to do.

Gilith closed his eyes as he ran his hand through his hair, it was a tangled unkempt mess but what could one expect from a woodsman. Wrapping his hand gently around his drink he took another sip and felt the warm liquid run once again down his throat, sending a wave of calm and the slight spike of joy that he often received when he took to drinking. A small creased his dry lips, but was soon followed by a yawn. He shook his head lightly, he had been more tired than he originally thought. Gilith removed his leather gloves and set them down, then rubbed his hands together to generate some warmth, and movement. He needed to wake himself up, and he needed to be fresh for tonight. He was going to have to spend the night outdoors in order to actually catch enough food for sleeping in a room tomorrow, but that was alright, take what you can, when you can. So he always said. Besides he need to find a job, so he would probably be here for a while, or at least a partner or group to travel with.

Gilith
Amabella Catston
Tool and Trinket Trader
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Aellenrhim / Erpheronian

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »

Copper eyes glanced up at the menu, then back at the waitress.

"Hello again, Miss Amabella. Is there anything I can get you?"

Resting slender fingers lightly on the bar, she replied, "Hello, Triss. Perhaps it will come as no surprise that - similarly as before -  I cannot decide what I would like for lunch. Would you be so kind has to make another recommendation for me? In the meantime, I would like just start with a glass of water for now."

Amabella would listen for the waitresses’ reply before turning her attention to the man at the bar. The soft tavern light glinted off of her Stormcloak necklace as she curtsied to him. His height was close enough to her own that she was comfortable to speak to him at eye level.

"Hello, good sir. My name is Amabella Catston the merchant, and I am quite new to Strata, indeed. If I may say so, I could not help but to notice that is an impressive bow you have there."

Her interest in the weapon was relatively simple and fairly innocuous. She was instructed to explore Strata, and many of those she met who possessed a fine weapon had honed their skills of observation to a far keener level than her own.

"Although I lack the hunting skills of my elvish kin, I was wondering if I may still be helpful in some way. I have a commercial two-horse wain which is capable of accommodating a fair weight of goods. Given my current load, I would approximate up to about five to seven more pygges of weight comfortably. For more freight, I would need to remove some of my current boxes. Is there anything I could assist in transporting for you? Such as hunted game?"

Tristessa Stonebridge
Herald Barmaid
Story Mod

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 04:22:49 AM »

"Hello, Triss. Perhaps it will come as no surprise that - similarly as before -  I cannot decide what I would like for lunch. Would you be so kind has to make another recommendation for me? In the meantime, I would like just start with a glass of water for now."

"Well, I suppose it all depends on how hungry you are," Triss said as she got the half-elf a glass of water. "We have a couple of soups that are pretty good. There's the pango cactus soup, which hails from the nearby Shendar culture. We also have your basic travellers stew. If you're looking for something very hearty, there's the garthook stew with celeste red beans. That's 6 sans, but you recieve a generous portion and it has been known to keep people full until past dinner time.

If you're looking for something a bit more solid, we do have Thergerim carroot mash and a local speciality, aberan loaf. Yet, if meat isn't quite your thing, we do also have a vegan roll, which is stewed and steamed vegetables rolled in bread. Any of those whet your appetite?"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]