Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What measure is a story's death?  (Read 1415 times)
Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« on: January 30, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »

How long must a story be inactive before it can be assumed dead? I've been wanting to roleplay with Mallorix, and I don't have any other characters, so I was wondering whether or not I could use him in another story. The problem is that I either have to assume that Jovloff's Gold never happened, or have continuity errors (i.e., if new adventure occurs before JG, then Mallorix loses characterization between its events and JG. If new adventure occurs after JG, I have to either know how JG ends, or make an assumption.). I also don't want to withdraw my character only to have the adventure start up again.

Now, I know that a solution would be to write a new character, but I like using Mallorix, since the whole purpose of writing him was to make an "average peasant" with whom I could roleplay easily.

So, what do you suggest? That I wait? That I pretend JG never happened? That I write up a new character?

"I despise merchants. All of them are fat, rich men who yell about things and take your money."
Mallorix's CD
Warrior Kaelan
Footman
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »

Continuity errors will always be a pain. Still, here are some safe things to assume:

Your character survived, obviously.

They gained something from that experience - exactly what should be worked out in the following story. We don't always remember even life's harshest lessons.

Your character knows some people a little more. This happened in a very interesting way with my character Aueniteri during the Thalambath's Heart story. At some point, I joined the Thirsty Herald, and another character was there who later joined in with T's Heart. We decided together that the Herald event happened AFTER the Heart - and our characters during the Heart were in love. From this odd point of continuity, we can force interpretations from things we didn't know were going to have happened, and then inject them into future interactions.

The trick, I think, is, decide where it falls in your personal timeline, and then think on your feet. Remember that none of the stories are universally canon, with perhaps a few exceptions, so continuity doesn't have to be perfect. Think, for example, if your character was Cid, from the Final Fantasy series; so much changes, but he's still essentially the same person, just with a new set of experiences.

Hopefully, someone who can say with more authority than I will come along. This is how I deal with it, and it seems to work wonderfully.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »

Continuity is a matter of personal choice.  I myself have created a story arc for Altario that has each of the stories he has been in as part of a larger story.  To do this, I obviously have had to ignore some RL time issues, which is to say that being in story A in January,set far in the north,  then switching to story B, set far in the south, in July if story A has faded, that Altario traveled that far and maybe a year or two has passed between the two stories.

The other, more simple solution, and the one used by most people, is to have each story basically set in its own timeline.  Mallorix in Jovloff's Gold is the same Mallorix in another story, but the two realities are independant from each other.  Therefore, Mallorix and Stormy Joe travelled together in Jovloff's Gold, then both join Story A, and they would then meet again for the very first time, the events of JG never having happened in this new timeline. 

This is how most players run their characters.  So feel free to use Mallorix in another story, and just run it as a new independant timeline.

Conversely, just put it in the future and assume the events of JG happened in his past, and create your own ending for it.  Should it get runing again and finish somewhat different than how you have created, it really won't make that much difference in the long run.  Or assume your next story happened before JG. and the events in that story have yet to happen.

You have the choice to do what is best for you.  We simply just want you to play, in as many stories as you want. :)

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:59:06 AM »

I generally do the independent timeline thing. Seh has been in a fair amount of stories, and of course, I'll reference other stories once in a while (especially if I'm RPing with someone I've RPed before) but other than that, unless the story is relevant to the previous story, I just pretend it hasn't happened.

Like right now, in Sins, I brought over the horse I used in Twilight, but nothing else. I don't think it matters to the general public as a whole how you do continuity for your own characters.

Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »

I think whatever grieving period existed in my heart for Jovloff's Gold is over, and I think Mallorix and I are ready for another story. From the looks of things on the forums, the only two (relatively) active stories which are "Open" are the Thirsty Herald and SW IV. The Herald seems to be the less active of the two, with only three people in the tavern, but I'm not exactly sure what SW IV is supposed to be. As far as I can tell, it's a collection of stories within an overarching storyline about a war which is happening sometime from the near past to near future. Of the two, it can definitely be considered the more active, but I'm not sure which to join. Your thoughts?

"I despise merchants. All of them are fat, rich men who yell about things and take your money."
Mallorix's CD
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
Story Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »

Well, right now the Herald isn't really...erm....running. My fault, mainly. Been inactive on the forums for a bit and yadda yadda yadda....I should go and make a post or something to jump start things.

Feel free to join the Herald, Mallorix. I'm trying to get on Santharia at least once a day after my daughter goes down for the night, so I'm hoping to become more active. :)

Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:58:56 AM »

Then I shall.

As soon as exams are over, that is.

Mallorix's CD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[June 28, 2019, 02:11:14 PM]

[June 28, 2019, 02:10:53 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]

[April 28, 2018, 03:44:22 AM]

[April 13, 2018, 06:36:29 AM]

[April 10, 2018, 08:32:04 PM]