Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Krean monk?  (Read 1379 times)
Coren
New Santharian

« on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:37 AM »

Hey there!

I've been working on the "Child of Spring" story and the Way of Wind & Water for a while now. And now I'm stuck. Perhaps "creative research" ( Roll Eyes) would help bring me out of this predicament. Maybe if I roleplay the characters I want to write about, I can discover things about them from the inside out?

Anyways, I've been toying with the idea of creating a monk - but honestly, I find it a bit daunting as I don't know much about roleplaying. Could you please hold my hand as I struggle - and no doubt slip every now and then - on the path of character creation?

Be well,
Coren

Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:40:18 AM »

Definitely. ^_^

Here are some links to get you started; you're a Dev person so you should know where to find the info for everything.

Character Description (CD) Template
CD Board
Completed CD Archives (to get a sense of what you need to do)

Also, there's the RPing guide (you probably don't need to read this right now, but it gives you a gist of how to RP) as well as a fairly recent fleshed out story (Sins of the Ancestor) that you can skim for an example of what RPing entails and generally is.

That's it for general advice; if you have any other specific questions please ask. :D

Coren
New Santharian

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:47:39 AM »

Wow. Thanks for the incredibly swift response! Do they give CD-mods some kind of secret speed-enhancing draft?

As for the CD, I pray something short and sweet would be acceptable? As a recovering lengthoholic, I fear rousing the demon again. ;)
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 05:59:17 AM »

Shhh, no one's supposed to know about the special ale in the mod's forum. ;)

Something short and sweet is definitely acceptable. So long as everything important is explained (eg, training, weaknesses, strengths) length is not an issue.

Here's some links to fairly short CDs.

Rett Kjorhild
Astrid Bystrom

And this is Tobin Blackwood, with the shortest CD I've seen in years. I don't think a monk's CD would be as short as Tobin's though; the explanation for the various strengths can get long, depending on how you write and the background of the sect, etc.

Coren
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »

And this is Tobin Blackwood, with the shortest CD I've seen in years.

Haha! if I should ever manage to write something that short, I think the development team ought to come together and buy me a medal.  LOL

Thank you for all these pointers. Lots to dream through tonight!
Malexia Vendu
Tainted Flame
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »

Coren? Short entry? On which planet?  ;)

its Azhira btw... evil

Tobin Blackwood
Glib Hustler
Approved Character

Helmondsshire Hobbit

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »

I think the length of the CD is entirely your decision to make. I intentionally made Tobin's as short as it is.

The length of Tobin's CD is a bit of a political statement by me against longer CDs that seem to be the norm these days. A CD doesn't have to be long to be good. Honestly, length has nothing to do with quality when it comes to writing.

I also think the CD commenters nitpick too much sometimes and want more detail than is necessary. Feel free to respectfully disagree with any comments that don't fit your vision of your character.

Amabella Catston
Tool and Trinket Trader
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Aellenrhim / Erpheronian

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »

Hi Coren, welcome to the RP side!

For me, the hardest parts of character creation was balancing the character and doing the Santharian research for accuracy. Personally, I thought that Winter was a nicely balanced character, going by what I read and understand so far in "Child of Spring".

The restrictions section has a list of the kinds of characters you can play. The RP setting takes place in "modern" Santharian times, so Krean monks are banned from play due to being extinct, however I did not find any issue with playing a modern day monk with a similar philosophy.

Coren
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »

Such a warm welcome!

Amabella, it is the Ancient Krean that are extinct (that is: the "Aestera Kreankra Lillivear"). There are many other contemporary "Krean" tribes tracing descent from the Ancient Krean. One such tribe is the Gondolwain. As a practitioner of the Way of Wind and Water, he will belong to that tribe and will have trained on White Mountain - the same monastery as Winter. Hope that's ok?

And Azhira, I'm going to write the shortest monk cd EVER, just to spite you, lady!  LOL

The work begins!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:39:14 PM by Coren » Logged
Amabella Catston
Tool and Trinket Trader
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Aellenrhim / Erpheronian

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »

Thanks for the clarification - yes, that sounds perfect. I look forward to reading the CD.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 23, 2017, 02:08:26 PM]

[November 23, 2017, 02:06:29 PM]

[October 05, 2017, 09:17:18 PM]

[September 14, 2017, 01:43:18 AM]

[September 06, 2017, 01:35:39 PM]

[August 12, 2017, 05:37:27 PM]

[June 17, 2017, 11:01:53 AM]

[June 12, 2017, 10:36:30 AM]