Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IRC?  (Read 5085 times)
Roy Tmofl
The Mage of Flaming Light
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian.

« on: December 20, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »

Is the IRC still around and kicking? If not I think it might be beneficial to perhaps attempt to gain a new one, and if the old one still works is it just me or is it very difficult to get to it? Although, I will say that I remember one mod, Malexia, and she posted a link to it for me that could just be pressed and within a minute or two without downloads of any kind you could be in. If anyone else knows how to do this, then I propose that we simply change the page dictating how to get in to the IRC and replace it with that much simpler and more efficient link.

Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one musn't misuse it.

Pope John Paul II

Magic and personal information.
History and equipment.
Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 03:06:35 AM »

The channel appears to still exist, even though nobody's on it, and the neat little applet still works, though it probably needs to be updated for security reasons (Java whines that the publisher is unknown, and it's discontinuing support for applets with unknown publishers). I suggest connecting through a stand-alone IRC client like HexChat because of that.

So, to answer your question, it looks like the IRC's dead communications-wise, but still alive in the technical sense of existing.

"I despise merchants. All of them are fat, rich men who yell about things and take your money."
Mallorix's CD
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 03:39:27 AM »

There's alternatives like Tinychat, which is easier and requires nothing but your browser.

Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »

How does that work Seh?
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »

The biggest thing about IRC is that people have to go there for it to be useful. (Thank you, Captain Obvious!)

The technical details are necessary, but people have to commit to going there and hanging out alone waiting for someone to show up to talk to. Otherwise everyone will walk in, see an empty room and leave.

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »

Then I shall resolve to be in the IRC as much as possible. Anyone should drop by, given the chance.

EDIT:

You can use this link to access the #Santharia Channel on SorceryNet through the Mibbit interface. It's also possible to make a widget for putting on the site, though I think the free widget is add-supported. I'll hold off on that for now.

Once again, the link.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:44:40 AM by Mallorix Volinkov » Logged

"I despise merchants. All of them are fat, rich men who yell about things and take your money."
Mallorix's CD
Roy Tmofl
The Mage of Flaming Light
CD Mod

Human, Centoraurian.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:10:02 AM »

Ahhh, yes, thank you very much everyone for your input, and for the link Mallarox. That is extremely helpful to me, and I believe if you type in the channel as #Santharia you will be good to go for this chat room :)

Stupidity is also a gift from God, but one musn't misuse it.

Pope John Paul II

Magic and personal information.
History and equipment.
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »

Let the record show that an actual conversation just took place in IRC. Granted it was 6 lines so Laell could test his/her setup, but still... words were exchanged!

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »

The link should, to the best of my knowledge, default to connecting to the #Santharia channel. But I'm glad that it's helped.

Mallorix's CD
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
CD Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »

Caph: Tinychat is a website that hosts all its rooms on the site itself, so you don't need to have an extra program installed on your computer. The room's name is generally at tinychat/___ (for santh it'd be tinychat/santharia so it's also easy to remember the name and we don't need to fiddle with IRC connecting.

This is mostly moot now that Mal has the one click link to the IRC working, but just thought I'd put that out there. TC is used by another forum I frequent, and it's pretty convenient.

Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »

Thanks Seh and Mallorix for the info and lik
Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 10:32:31 AM »

The link works. Now if we can just all settle upon a time to be online :)
Laell
Blade-Maiden
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian / Eyelian / Erpheronain

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »

IRC doesn't seem to work over 3G. I found this confusing and frustrating at first. Apparently, Verizon, and if one provider then likely others, has IRC blocked. Still frustrating, but I guess that's the answer. Might only be my qurstion I'm answering, but if I asked, there's a tiny chance others might. Hence, data.

On one hand, they claim that it is the result, not the effort given, that will imprint one forever in history; but on the other, is it not the form of the art, rather than the function, that defines its true beauty?
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 03:02:34 AM »

Rezzing an old thread here, but just sayin' that I'm going to be on the IRC as much as I can. So...if you need anything from me (Kareesh, Triss, or Claudirea), feel free to look me up there. :)

Fox
Drifter
CD Mod

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 02:33:34 AM »

Then I shall resolve to be in the IRC as much as possible. Anyone should drop by, given the chance.

EDIT:

You can use this link to access the #Santharia Channel on SorceryNet through the Mibbit interface. It's also possible to make a widget for putting on the site, though I think the free widget is add-supported. I'll hold off on that for now.

Once again, the link.

Some of us have been using this, if people want to join. There's not generally much talking, but the more people the more likelihood for conversation.

*Edit* Sometimes it just drops you into the Sorcery net lobby. If it does, just type /join #Santharia and you'll get taken to the channel.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:06:54 AM by Fox » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 10, 2020, 12:24:32 PM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[August 01, 2018, 03:13:13 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]