Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Merchant's Village  (Read 8565 times)
Miés'áel Cór'yráná
Inspiration Seeker
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2017, 04:49:22 AM »

"I suppose for a city known for death, one shouldn't expect much green around," Miés'áel thought as Ryldor showed her the thin green line. It is was it is.

There was now a tension in-between them that wasn't there before, and Miés'áel knew that it was probably due to her. She just didn't know what to think about Ryldor anymore. To her, he had been a perfect gentleman, though to be honest, she couldn't recall last night's events perfectly. Yet Amber seemed to imply that he was some sort of womanizer…or at least he was never seen with the same woman twice. Was that all she was going to be? Just another woman in a long line? Not exactly how she viewed herself.

"What shall we discuss now, m'lady?" His voiced brought her from her thoughts to the world in front of her.

Miés'áel gave a small sigh, wondering what they could possibly talk about. She missed his touch. She hated that she caused this distance between them. "Do you ever think about how your life would have been different if you had done what your father wanted: settled down with a beautiful maiden and had children?"

Unconsciously, she stepped closer to him, wrapping an arm around one of his own. She looked up at him, waiting to see how he would respond.

"The desire to write grows with writing"
~Desiderius Erasmus~
~*~Miés'áel Córyrana~*~
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Story Mod

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »

"Do you ever think about how your life would have been different if you had done what your father wanted: settled down with a beautiful maiden and had children?"

Ryldor was thinking about how to respond when Miés'áel wrapped her arm around his. "Well, now I'm confused." He almost recoiled from the surprise, but managed to merely flinch.

"I… Um… At times." He composed himself slightly trying not do anything to cause her to remove her hand. "Mostly I think about that poor, beautiful maiden and how unlucky she would have been to be saddled with young Ryldor." He put his hand on hers and gave a gentle squeeze, before pulling away, still unsure of the situation. With an air of false modesty he continued. "Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the doomed lass would have been most excited at the notion. But it would never have worked. Not then." "Maybe not ever," he didn't say."Or would I have changed? Would a wife and children made me docile? More amenable? I don't know. Less difficult? Would I still have gone to Ximax? Would I have stayed at Ximax?" It was then that he was talking about what an awful husband he'd make. With a start, he decided to change the focus.

"I will admit though, that I am unfamiliar with the exact practices that go into such matches. You mentioned going on those types of dates. What's it like? How were the young men chosen? What was your worst arranged date?"

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Miés'áel Cór'yráná
Inspiration Seeker
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2017, 01:49:12 AM »

"I'm sure that the practices vary from place to place. It definitely does from culture to culture," Miés'áel said as she thought back on the various dating rituals she had seen in her travels.

"My parents chose the young men for me. They were mostly from other affluent families that they knew, either in the same city or nearby. It was....to be perfectly honest, it was pretty awful. At least, I found it to be. It made me feel like I was a high end product for sale, or a choice piece of meat ready for the stove. Even so, most of the young men were nice. I think some of them felt the same way I did, so that made it bearable at least. There were a few that were too pushy or full of themselves. Yet, on the other side, there were others that didn't seem to know what to do around a young woman, always stuttering, and red-faced." Miés'áel gave a small laugh. She then grew a little quieter. "I do hope they found the right one for them..."

Shaking herself slightly, the elfess brought herself back to the moment at hand. "But my parents understood me, at least, eventually. Once they realized I wasn't interested in settling down, they stopped bringing men around. I know of other families where there wasn't as much freedom. If their parents said 'Marry this man', that's what they had to do. I guess I was lucky.

Though, I wonder, am I now too late? Who would want to settle down with someone who has wanderlust? Who can speak Dwarven and yet, can't run a household? Perhaps...perhaps I chose this path when I turned down all those men."
She shrugged, not really sure what else she could, or should, say about the matter.

~Desiderius Erasmus~
~*~Miés'áel Córyrana~*~
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Story Mod

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »

"Though, I wonder, am I now too late? Who would want to settle down with someone who has wanderlust? Who can speak Dwarven and yet, can't run a household? Perhaps...perhaps I chose this path when I turned down all those men."

"Or maybe you were waiting for the right man," Ryldor wanted to say, but couldn't. He wasn't close to the right man. Not for her. Maybe not for anyone. And there was this sudden wall between them. He wondered again what Amber could have said, but he tried not to dwell on it. Instead, he thought of Alatariel and what path she had chosen. "Might she speak Dwarven? Or is she keeping company with someone like me? Surely, she'd be wiser." But Miés'áel was here with him and though inexperienced when it came to romance, she was wise. "Maybe Amber didn't say anything. Maybe Miés'áel simply found wisdom. Maybe she's comparing me to the best of those paraded before her and is finding me lacking."

"I doubt very much it's too late. Even if you don't…" He'd started to say "… don't marry an elf," but the implication there was that he was referring to him. He stammered for a second, buying time. "… Um, don't find a match through your family. I guess the question is do you regret choosing this path?"

Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Miés'áel Cór'yráná
Inspiration Seeker
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2017, 02:51:30 AM »

"I guess the question is do you regret choosing this path?"

Miés'áel thought for a moment before speaking. "Regret choosing this path? No. No I don't think I do. If I hadn't, then I wouldn't have had as many adventures as I have had. I wouldn't have learned Dwarven or met many of my friends. I wouldn't..." She hesitated. She wanted to say "be here with you", but she felt that would be too forward. "I wouldn't be here, I guess. I guess my thoughts about marriage are different than a typical Elf maiden. I raised myself on books about damsels in distress, being saved by their prince, and somehow that has ingrained itself into my head. That is what I'm looking for, in a weird way. Though I know they are only stories, it's sometimes hard to put my little girl dreams aside."

She paused a moment, and reflected on what she had said. Did not Ryldor save her this morning, from that very forward beggar woman? She was no dragon or evil wizard, but, honestly, how many of those were walking around nowadays? Miés'áel's heart was conflicted. It was almost making her physically ill. She stopped walking. Sliding her hand down his arm, she held his hand as she turned so that she was facing him.

"What about you? Do you ever think about if it's...I mean, if you are ready to settle down yet?"

~Desiderius Erasmus~
~*~Miés'áel Córyrana~*~
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Story Mod

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2017, 10:01:48 PM »

"What about you? Do you ever think about if it's...I mean, if you are ready to settle down yet?"

Ryldor knew instantly he wanted to react boldly and brazenly, but rethought it. But then he rethought that. "Weren't things better before?" Maybe it was time to stop worrying about what Amber may have said and to return to the way things were last night..

"Proposing so soon? We just met yesterday! You think me too easy a catch, ma'am!" He turned away to avoid meeting her gaze, but took the opportunity to strike a pose with his chest out and his chin high, as if his pride was wounded. "I mean, perhaps after a week or so I could seriously entertain the notion. Especially if the dowry were large enough. After all, I am accustomed to the finer things in life. I shall have to speak to your father about it." He softened his posture a little and gave her hand a slight squeeze, though he didn't turn back towards her. "For now, let's just say I will not dismiss it outright."

Miés'áel Cór'yráná
Inspiration Seeker
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2017, 07:29:39 AM »

"What? No...no...that's...that's not what I..." The words tumbled out of Miés'áel's mouth, yet she felt like she couldn't control what she was saying. She hated when her mind went blank and her mouth said whatever it wished, not the polished responses she liked to say. She took a deep breath to compose herself, noting that her cheeks were burning with embarrassment.

Why did he do this to her? Why suddenly change to jovial when she had already made up her mind to leave? Coór dammit! This Elf gave her so much grief, so why did she feel so attached? He's right. They did only meet last night. Yet, weren't there stories which spoke of love at first sight? Perhaps this wasn't at first sight but still...

Fine. Two could play at that game. Miés'áel took upon a haughty tone, spoken by the spoiled daughters of the wealthy. "Well, I never said that you were someone my father would approve of." she said with a small smirk. She walked around him, still holding his hand, so that she was once again facing him. "I'm afraid we might have to live destitute, living from meal to meal. My tales could bring in a few sans, while your silver tongue and magic brings in a few more. It will be a poor, but perhaps happy, life." Her voice took on the tone of being melodramatic, but the smirk never left her face.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:30:31 AM by Miés'áel Cór'yráná » Logged

~Desiderius Erasmus~
~*~Miés'áel Córyrana~*~
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Story Mod

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2017, 09:59:10 AM »

"Well, I never said that you were someone my father would approve of… I'm afraid we might have to live destitute, living from meal to meal. My tales could bring in a few sans, while your silver tongue and magic brings in a few more. It will be a poor, but perhaps happy, life."

Ryldor shook his head in mock disappointment. "You should be ashamed. How foolish do you think I am? Claiming your father won't approve as a way to get a suitor to take a smaller dowry? One of these oldest schemes, to be sure. I'd have thought such a common tactic beneath you. A few more tricks like that and I'd suspect your proposal was insincere. Honestly, you're lucky I'm still entertaining the notion. Had Twén not guaranteed us exquisite children, I might have walked away altogether." He gave her a small smile. "However, I will admit I do enjoy gazing upon you, so I'll take a slightly smaller purse. And I stress slightly. But I'll do so because I choose to and not because of this obvious ruse of your father not approving."

Miés'áel Cór'yráná
Inspiration Seeker
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »

"Alas! You have cleverly seen through my ruse," Miés'áel groaned. "Though I feel sorry for your eyes, gazing upon this." With her free hand, she motioned to herself. "I am sure there are far more deserving women whom your gaze could fall upon."

She gave a half-cocked smile. Though it was said in jest, there was some truth to what she said. Miés'áel never thought too highly of her looks, and though she had a few suitors, she knew it was mostly a formality in her community. Even the men who found her attractive while she was out in her travels had to have some sort of reason for giving her attention other than her beauty.

~Desiderius Erasmus~
~*~Miés'áel Córyrana~*~
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Story Mod

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »

"I am sure there are far more deserving women whom your gaze could fall upon."

Even as recently as a minute ago, Ryldor would have let his thoughts dwell on who was more deserving of whom, but he had no desire to return to that awkwardness. Instead, his eyes narrowed and his mouth took on a stern expression. "I don't think I can allow you to speak so poorly of someone who might be my betrothed someday. She is lovely and kind and though she not know it, quite easy on the eyes."  He paused in contemplation. "I don't know how she could be more deserving… except perhaps by finishing her stories," he said as his face turned from severe to exasperated. "Just write endings. Is that so hard?"

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[January 02, 2018, 02:30:49 AM]

[December 28, 2017, 03:01:06 AM]

[December 27, 2017, 04:40:36 PM]

[November 23, 2017, 02:08:26 PM]

[November 23, 2017, 02:06:29 PM]

[October 05, 2017, 09:17:18 PM]

[September 14, 2017, 01:43:18 AM]

[September 06, 2017, 01:35:39 PM]