Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Geirnils Kreiskin/Avennorian/Creation of Forgeries  (Read 5109 times)
Geirnils Kreiskin
The Thieves' Messiah
Approved Character

« on: February 12, 2015, 12:27:43 PM »

Name- Geirnils Kreiskin

Gender- Male

Age- 27

Race- Human

Tribe- Avennorian of mainly Glandorian descent

Occupation- sale of forged artifacts, mainly of the magical variety; third-party assignments from the Thieves Underground

Title- The Thieves' Messiah

Overview- Geirnils is a person without many abilities but a lot of brains to compensate. Aside from simply knowing his way around the crime infested city of Marcogg, he is surprisingly good at convincing people of just about anything he needs them to believe.

Appearance-  
      Height- 1 ped, 2 fores, and 8 nailsbreadths tall
      Weight- one pygge, five hebs, and one hafeb
      Hair Colour- Strata Yellow (Blonde)
      Eye Colour- Sou'cald Blue
      Physical Appearance- Geirnils is of only slightly above average height and weight for his heritage. He is of a fairly small and lanky build, as are most of those of Glandorian descent. While he doesn't have the ear flaps of a true Glandorian noble, they are rather large, being bigger than the human average by a good 1-2 nailsbreadths. His skin isn't very tan, though he is very clearly not pure white. His strata yellow hair shines in the sunlight, and he keeps his hair very long, nearly 3 palmspans, purely for this effect. His hair is usually brushed off of his sou'cald blue eyes to maintain the trustworthy, well kept appearance. He has no right hand, but instead has a dagger blade coming out of his right wrist extending from his wrist to the base of where his middle finger should be. The bottom of the knife is attached to a sheath, which attaches directly to his wrist.
      Clothing: He usually wears very dignified, stately clothing in public, though, being a thief, he is not usually so proper in private. When he's on the job, he wears the clothes of whatever profession he wishes to be seen as. In day to day life, he wears the pearl studded silk garb of a noble, complete with whale skin boots and a golden necklace. No matter what the scenario, Geirnils wears very thick leather gloves, primarily to cover his right hand dagger. The right glove has clay inside the fingers so it can be shaped to appear to hold things, at least temporarily.
Personality- Geirnils is a very humorous person, in a sarcastic sort of way. He's also incredibly cocky, almost to a fault, probably as a result of his compulsive lying. He can change his own beliefs based on what he needs to convince someone else of, so which persona he chooses to use on any given day is erratic at best, and potentially dangerous at worst. However, the face he uses to speak to his closest friends is usually that of the poor man just doing what he has to in order to survive, though they know as well as he that his connection to the underworld earns him far more than he needs for anything short of building short of building a small town big enough for all the thieves and rogues in Manthria. Unfortunately, that exact thing has been his dream ever since he adopted a life of crime, which is why he calls himself the Thieves' Messiah. Thus, he is currently living for money alone, although he will never double cross another thief or criminal for any sum of money unless they provoke him first.

Strengths and Weaknesses-
      Strengths-
· Manipulation- Geirnils' ability to make people believe nearly anything he wants them to is incredibly powerful and useful in many situations, though since this is all achieved without the use of magic, any particularly discerning person could see right through his deceptions. That said, he trained himself for years to bend even the most resilient of minds, so this ability is never to be underestimated.

· Connections- Being the Thieves' Messiah allows one to meet some people in high places, especially those involved in the Thieves Underground. Though Geirnils isn't technically a member of the Underground because he doesn't want to have the responsibility that comes with a community of outlaws living perpetually right under the noses of the authorities, he has connections all over Santharia thanks to a few of the Underground's more influential members sympathizing with his dream.

· Lie Detection- All those good at telling lies are also good at detecting them, and Geirnils is no exception. He can find lies almost as easily as he makes them up. Very few are safe from Geirnils' all-discerning ear, which he uses to identify very gullible people in conversation, because just as his lie detection is linked to his chronic lying, so too are those who lie very little likely to be gullible individuals.

· (Limited) Dagger Abilities- Geirnils' dagger is very hard to see coming, so he usually uses it only to finish off opponents who let their guard down against a seemingly helpless "traveler" and get too close for his comfort, usually city guards too nosey for their own good.

Weaknesses-

· Self-manipulation- The unfortunate side effect of Geirnils' chronic lying is believing in his own lies. For example, in order to convince someone else that he was a level 8 water mage, he would, at least to some extent, believe he had powers over the sea. This could have a few very obvious consequences: namely that if he tries to demonstrate any of his powers, he would find himself at a loss, not to mention being left with a very suspicious, unconvinced person, who could pose a danger to Geirnils in the future.

· Extreme Pride/ Need to be Nobility- This is the main reason for Geirnils' choice of clothing. He feels that since his goals are so lofty, he must look the part and wear only very high class clothes. This pride extends to other things as well. Despite being a manipulative person, he will almost never act as someone lower than his actual status unless absolutely necessary. Additionally, while he does practice the art of tactical retreat, he will never retreat if he feels a goal, no matter how important or unimportant, is too close to leave behind.

· Lack of a Right Hand- Being incapable of showing a hand arouses suspicion in many people, which, for a man in the business of appearing trustworthy, can be a serious inhibition. He usually simply pretends to be left handed, though this can be problematic, as his developed handedness isn't as dominant as it should be, so he will sometimes lunge at things with his gloved dagger, creating an awkward and often scary circumstance for everyone involved, most of all Geirnils himself, who is deathly afraid of capture due to his utter inability to defend himself against those who have any combat experience or are unwilling to listen to his lies.

History-
      Geirnils Kreiskin was born to a baron in the fiefdom of Mashdai in 1648 A.S. However, he doesn't remember his parents as they were both killed, along with almost all of his family in a fire during a family gathering. when he was three, in 1651. It was then that he was picked up by an uncle of his, the only relative he had left, who, wanting the title of baron for himself, handed him off to a friend of his, who in turn handed him off to a group of rogues. This group of rogues decided to give the child Geirnils an "extended apprenticeship" in Marcogg.
      For 12 years, the rogues raised Geirnils, and it was during this time that his personality developed into what it is today. It was also during this time that he adopted some of what are now his catch phrases, such as "Puny mortal" or "Don't waste my time with your foolishness." Once he reached ten years of age, Geirnils began his training in the way of the rogue: fighting, lying, cheating and stealing, among other things. At first, Geirnils was more of a fighter than a thief, though that would turn out to work against him in the end.
      Between the ages of 15 and 18, Geirnils worked with the group that raised him, still considering them his family as he had for many years. At 17, he accidentally got his right hand chopped off in a fight with a city guard, from which he barely escaped alive. When he showed this to his "parents", they helped him infiltrate the house of a noble, who agreed to get a master blacksmith attach a dagger to Geirnils' wrist. At 18, with Geirnils still in his rebellious phase- his pseudo-parents were better at training him to handle purses than to handle his emotions- he is told that the people he'd been living with for years aren't his real family, and he leaves them in a display of anger that accidentally gets his foster parents captured and killed by the ever-annoying city guards. Since then, Geirnils has been working to avenge his parents' death by creating a city safe from guards and/or law enforcement in general.
      For the next two years, Geirnils wandered Marcogg looking for a way to create his paradise. At first, he tried to kill as many guards as he could, though he still hadn't really learned how to use his blade, so the going was rather slow. While he was on his rampage, Geirnils met two members of the Thieves Underground and came into contact with the organization for the first time. He explained his goals to these two people, who both laughed at it and wished him the very best of luck on his quest. Since then, those two have been Geirnils' best friends and semi-parental figures, although he is too wary to allow anyone to really be his family. This was when he decided not to join the Thieves Underground except as a third party affiliate because of his inhibitions about family.
      With a connection to the Thieves Underground under his belt, Geirnils began to train himself to manipulate others to make up for his missing right hand. These original "experiments" were performed on unsuspecting passersby. He would pretend to sell mundane items as various valuable artifacts, usually one of a kind, since those are very hard to verify on the part of the customer. This was before he knew of techniques like coating things with a thin sheet of mother of pearl to make them shiny and mystical or coating iron with gold leaf to sell it as a full bar of gold by rigging his own scales, so he used nothing but his silver tongue to sell enough junk to cover his costs of living and simultaneously saving to start building his city. He was suspected by various people on a few occasions, but without any of the typical tools of his trade, those people assumed he was either crazy or a mere charlatan. None of them ever suspected that he was a criminal, so Geirnils was given enough time to develop his unique style of manipulation.
      As his technique was still being developed, Geirnils began taking assignments from the Underground in and around Marcogg. During these first few assignments, Geirnils partook in one of the biggest confrontations with the city guards in Underground history, what is now referred to as the Bloody Pearl Incident. A group of members of the Underground were planning to steal the biggest pearl in all Manthria from the Thane's palace. The infiltration went smoothly for a long time. The group sneaked in via window with a length of rope lowered by a contact within the palace, then carefully combed the rooms until they came to the one containing the pearl. Over eager, one of Geirnils' companions rushed into the room before they realized there were two armed guards on the other side of the door! The guards rushed out from behind the door, each brandishing a two-handed sword. Most of the party ran away immediately, followed by one of the guards. The only two that were left behind were the leader of the expedition and Geirnils. The guard began by lunging at Geirnils' companion because he was the only one visibly armed, holding a small knife defensively in front of his face. He managed to parry the attack, but only by dislocating his wrist and leaving himself open to another attack. Before the guard could swing again, Geirnils threw his glove off and stabbed him in the back, mortally wounding him. As it turns out, the person he saved was a very influential man in the Underground, with connections to everything from a small army of spies and scouts all throughout Santharia to enough nobles to make the Santhran do a double take. This was the start of Geirnils' real rise to infamy.
      Since then, Geirnils has been getting himself into and out of trouble with various governments as he travels around Sarvonia with the Thieves Underground to gather the necessary fortune to build a city. In the time been these adventures, Geirnils is writing a collection of haikus about his life, which he's calling "Poetry is hard. So let's make this one real quick. Here's my life story." In the end though, he always returns to his home in Marcogg to relish in his fortune and plan his next escapade.

Weapons- His right hand dagger, whether gloved or not- the clay in the fingers is quite heavy, and can be used as a bludgeon

Possessions- A relatively small town house in Marcogg to serve as his base of operations, more money than he's had time to count (though still not enough), and a multitude of disguises and costumes for all occasions

Haikus- Borne to lost parents
Juggled around by many
I end up with rogues

Was raised in Marcogg
My "parents" trained me well
In combat and lies

Working with "parents"
Hand chopped off by city guard
Replaced with a blade

"Parents" reveal truth
They say that I'm adopted
I get them captured

To avenge their deaths
Will build thieves utopia
No law enforcement

As I kill some guards
I meet Thieves Underground reps
I befriend them both

I trained my technique
With public experiments
Selling "artifacts"

In the Bloody Pearl
I saved a powerful man
He had connections

Careless companion
Ran into the guarded room
Two guards attacked him

Only two remain
Myself and one other man
We fight the last guard

Companion at risk
Right hand blade stabs the guard's back
Thankful companion

Now I work abroad
Helping the Thieves Underground
Marcogg is my home
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:15:48 AM by Geirnils Kreiskin » Logged

Geirnils' CD

"Those who are with me have already heard my words, and those who aren't don't deserve them."- Geirnils
Toama SorInyt
Confident Nomad
Approved Character

Human, Sand Sisters

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »

Hey there! Don't forget to change the thread icon to Char status 1 or 2 (I'm assuming 1 :))

Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 02:01:03 AM »

Freaking awesome! I feel like my job is done.

One note: You mentioned that his parents were killed by assassins. If he was 3, how does he know? Or is it something he was just told? Why were they targeted?

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Geirnils Kreiskin
The Thieves' Messiah
Approved Character

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »

Well, I assume they were targeted as people in a position of power (a graven and his wife). As for how he knows: he doesn't. Where do I say that he does? As far as I can see after reading it, while he knows the rogues aren't his birth parents because they told him, he has no idea who his real parents were or how they died. In fact, the haikus say "lost parents", implying he has no knowledge of who they were.

I could be mistaking the actual power level of a graven, but I think his parental situation was made pretty clear.  :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:52:47 PM by Geirnils Kreiskin » Logged

Geirnils' CD

"Those who are with me have already heard my words, and those who aren't don't deserve them."- Geirnils
Fox
Drifter
CD Mod

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »

I'd say unless there's a story-specific reason for it, you may want to go for something less than assassination. Even for a graven, assassinations are not something the majority would have to worry about unless they were particularly tyrannical or meddlesome. More importantly, nobility is about family lines more than just the lord and lady, so even if they had been killed he would have had many other family members of wealth and standing easily able to care for him (and willing to do so because he is either the heir or at least near the front of the line of succession). Ergo it'd have required a significant portion of the graven's lineage to be killed off for Geirnils to ever get pawned off to the point of living a poor commoner's life.

What I would recommend instead, is having the parents lost in a different way. As it sounds like their death isn't particularly necessary for the story, you might want to consider them having disowned Geirnils for some reason. Perhaps he was born from an affair or had some other issue that would have made him undesirable. In this way, he is divorced of his noble heritage in a much more final way. It would as well be something for him to be very upset about if he ever discovered it as he would have been denied his noble claim.

The other alternative would be to keep the assassination, but to have also had Geirnils targeted. This would have then encouraged his caregivers to hide him away until he came of age, which would have given him opportunity to live a commoner's life. The question then would be why he wasn't then reintegrated into the family when he got older.

The rest looks fine to me. I'm not CD mod but I thought I'd give some suggestions. Very nice haikus by the way. :)
Geirnils Kreiskin
The Thieves' Messiah
Approved Character

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »

Ok Fox, that's a good point. I still want them dead though, if only so I don't have to invent a reason for Geirnils not to be searching for his real parents. Check it now, is it better?

Geirnils' CD

Fox
Drifter
CD Mod

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:53:16 PM »

I'd say that works okay. :) There'd still probably be some relatives left but yeah most of the prominent ones probably would have been at the gathering. You may want to downgrade to a lower level of nobility though, as gravens would probably have a lot more connections and their lineages more able to survive disasters like that. A family of lower rank on the other hand would be pretty devastated by that kind of thing. A fire at a family gathering also implies assassination while not being obvious about it.

Geirnils would still then be the heir and thus be quite important and have a strong claim to the title if he ever discovered his heritage. Perhaps someone has intentionally been trying to keep Geirn out of the loop (either another surviving relative like the uncle who wants to claim the title for himself, or perhaps another noble family if the fire was orchestrated to eliminate a rival house).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:53:55 PM by Fox » Logged
Geirnils Kreiskin
The Thieves' Messiah
Approved Character

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:27:35 PM »

Ok, thanks for all the help you've been giving me  :) I've changed his parents to baron and baroness and his uncle now holds the title. Remember what I said to Ryldor earlier:
As for how he knows [who his parents are]: he doesn't. Where do I say that he does? As far as I can see after reading it, while he knows the rogues aren't his birth parents because they told him, he has no idea who his real parents were or how they died. In fact, the haikus say "lost parents", implying he has no knowledge of who they were.

Based on this, he doesn't know he's nobility, so he wouldn't go back to claim his title.

Geirnils' CD

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »

:D  Hi Geirnils.  Interesting concept. 

I have an issue with the wrist dagger.  One cannot simply have a dagger "melted" to one's wrist.  Or embedded into his wrist, unless one wants to have his arm go gangrene.  In this society, they do not have the medical knowledge to prevent infection, especially a blacksmith in a medieval blacksmith shop.  Even today's prosthetics are mostly built with a sheath that the amputated limb slips into.

I would suggest then that the character hire a skilled blacksmith to create a dagger prosthetic for him, which would necessitate more time than a one handed knife wielder would be able to fulfill.  Here is an interesting but brief look at historic prosthetics.  This wouldn't have to change anything in which you run the character, with the exception that it would then be removable when needed.

And one last thing "As a rash, thrill seeking teenager, Geirnils saw this loss as an opportunity to have some fun."  Seriously?  Perhaps as a pragmatic fellow, he made the best of the situation and saw the dagger as something that might come in handy in the future?  A line like that really takes the reader out of the moment because anyone who seriously contemplates losing a limb would not think Cool, lets have some fun.  It is far more psychologically traumatic than that.  Just my opinion. :)

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Geirnils Kreiskin
The Thieves' Messiah
Approved Character

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »

Right, infection... yeah... that. buck Oops. Hopefully I fixed it, both the appearance and history sections have been changed. In hindsight, being in such a mood after losing a limb is pretty odd as well. I'm not even entirely sure why I wrote that in the first place.

Geirnils' CD

Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »

I'll be coming back to look at this when I'm more rested. May not be until Monday as I have a ton going on this weekend, but I'll get to it. :)

Fox
Drifter
CD Mod

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »

The changes look good to me. :)
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »

Sorry for the delay. Some things popped up, but here I am. Everything looks good, though if he has a dagger, than that should be listed under his weapons as well. ;)

So, you get an approval from me. Welcome to Santharia! :D

Geirnils Kreiskin
The Thieves' Messiah
Approved Character

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 09:41:20 AM »

Thanks! :D :D :D

And I did list the dagger, I just wrote "his right hand"  :P Though I went back and changed it to "his right hand dagger" in case it was unclear

Geirnils' CD

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 03:28:56 PM »

:D  Very well, remove all the colouring from the CD and then I will title this and archive.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]