Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Character timelines  (Read 630 times)
Ryldor Gadriel
Miscreant Mage
Approved Character

« on: September 14, 2015, 02:52:47 AM »

So here's my understanding of 'time' on the RP side of the board. Not sure if it's right, but here goes.

I think of my characters as having multiple timelines and each story as it's own separate thing. I view it like The Simpsons. Bart is always a 10 years old, wise-cracking, trouble making, brat. If something happens in an episode, it doesn't generally carry forward beyond that. Every new episode is a reset, and I think of stories here the same way. That's how Ryldor can participate in stories that take place 500 years apart in world-time and be about 30 years old in both.

When you write a CD, you create a (semi-)fixed point in time of the character's life. You agree to play the character as defined (with a specific personality, strengths and weaknesses, appearance, possessions, etc... ) in that CD. (Obviously some minor things will change depending on the story. If a character from the south joins a story set in the north, I think you can assume they've gotten a warm coat somewhere along the line.) Basically, I assume that every time you join a new story, you're starting from that fixed point and branching off in a different direction.

If something happened in a story that I chose to carry forward and would drastically change how a character played, I imagine I would bring up the CD and officially change it. Anything else, I would ignore.

That's my $0.02.

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.  ~  Voltaire
Oh dearest Ryldor, dust thou know thy charm?; The clever smile soft upon thy face; Seem like a promise for to do no harm; Whilst I, enjoying thy tender grace; Should gaze in admiration at thy eyes; As azure as where highest heaven lay; Reflections of the clearest, truest skies; They seem to melt my very heart away!; And if thy lovely words were not as true; As thine eyes blue, still I'd believe thy claim; Of magedom. Magic turned a rosy hue; My cheeks. A spell thou cast upon this dame!; Thou art a most capricious scoundrel, yet; The sweetest gentlemen I've ever met.; ~ Rayne Avalotus
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 05:06:27 AM »

I think my view is the same. For instance, one of my characters, Claudirea, started off as a simple healer. Thanks to an amazing RP with Capher back in the day, she met, fell in love, and got engaged to one of his NPCs. I've extended that in recent stories she's been in as having been married.

I think it's nice that we can have the liberty of deciding where to place our characters and the timelines. I know there are other players that don't like to have their characters in multiple stories due to the timelines crossing or something, but I personally view it the same way you do, Ryldor.

Laell
Blade-Maiden
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian / Eyelian / Erpheronain

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:35:58 AM »

Been on both sides. My original two characters were highly non-linear. It made things a little odd, but reasonable. Then my next two had more- well. Not completely. Laell more completely than the other. But still, more direction in where they were headed, what they were and had done at what point. And if stories are 300 years apart, it's likely circumstances haven't arisen that make my character even possible. Bardavos might not have been in upheaval thanks to an underground war. The Ylferrhim might not have merged with their neighboring tribe and been forgotten. I get it's about having fun telling a story, but some of that fun is finding your way through the rules.

On one hand, they claim that it is the result, not the effort given, that will imprint one forever in history; but on the other, is it not the form of the art, rather than the function, that defines its true beauty?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[November 23, 2017, 02:08:26 PM]

[November 23, 2017, 02:06:29 PM]

[October 05, 2017, 09:17:18 PM]

[September 14, 2017, 01:43:18 AM]

[September 06, 2017, 01:35:39 PM]

[August 12, 2017, 05:37:27 PM]

[June 17, 2017, 11:01:53 AM]

[June 12, 2017, 10:36:30 AM]