Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Slyrking (Walking Moss)  (Read 3895 times)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 20 October 2005, 13:59:00 »

The second name of this creature itself gives away the debates over its nature that scholars have engaged in. Considered an animal by one, but a moss by the other, it is still not entirely clear where this creature should be categorized. However, nowadays most scholars tend to agree that the fact this creature does actually move defines it more as an animal, rather than a plant.

Appearance: When first encountered, this creature actually looks more like a slat of moss, rather than an animal. It is only three  nailsbreadth in height and about one palmspan long. Its entire earthen-like body is covered with tiny soft green hairs of about a nailsbreadth high and a half grain thick. The hair has the same colour on all sides of the creature, though each hair itself is a bit browner at the bottom and more dark-green at the top.
However, these hairs are about the only things present on this little animal. Neither mouth, nor eyes, feet, paws or tail can be found, so that the creature bears amazing similarity with the upper side of a common piece of moss where its general appearance is concerned.

However, on a closer inspection, one will see that is not the case. The creature has been observed as being able to move around, something plants are usually regared not to be able to. And though it moves rather slow, it is far from being inert or stationary.
And the hairs with which it is completely covered have been observed to move even when there was no wind to move them. The small rustly of the soft and dull green hairs looks as if the creature is breathing with its entire body. The hairs are small and soft to the touch, but still they feel a bit sticky, as if they are covered with tiny hooks that hold them attached to your fingers. When you move your hand over the moss, it will softly stick itself to your fingers, scraping carefully at your skin with its hairs as if it were inspecting you.

When found on a tree or rock, it is not easy to distinguish this creature from an ordinary moss. Size, appearance and even smell are all the same. Only when the creature is either moving, or breathing on a windstill time is it possible to discern it from a normal moss.
Another way to see if you're dealing with a Slyrking is to lift the creature off the ground. As, contrary to mosses, the Slyrking has hairs on all sides. Lifting it from a tree or rock can still be difficult though, as the creature can attach itself quite firmly such objects.

Territory: The Slyrking is only encountered in permafrosted areas, such as the Icelands, the continent of Cyhalloi and the North of Sarvonia, and in some other regions that are still quite cold, yet not always covered with snow. Within these areas, it resides in tundra's and forests, but not on plain fields of ice. It is assumed this is because the creature needs some protection from the harsh elements ruling the permafrosted areas, and because its main sources of food are usually found in vegetated regions. Plain icefiels provide neither food nor shelter, and even though the creatures can be remarkebly resilliant, it will not thrive there.
In forests, the Moss can mainly be found on the barks of trees, such as Mihtril Birch or the Tulmine, where it attaches itself to the side of the tree which is least exposed to wind and rain.
In the Tundra, it seeks shelter on rocks and stones, also trying to stay out of the wind.
It is not known whether the Walking Moss is common or not, simply because it is quite hard to discern whether a random moss is just moss, or this particular creature. Therefore, no accurate estimate of its population has been made thusfar and due to its rather uninteresting nature, this will not likely change.

Habitat/Behaviour:
Within the areas they reside in, Slyrkings have no distinctively marked territory of their own. Though they not to stray further away than their detection range, they do not seem to develop nests or other kinds of habitats. The creature just tries to find the best shelter nearby, sharing it with other creatures when necessary.
As even though it seems these creatures have hardly any sort of mind at all, they are remarkable social towards each other. Though they do not commonly form groups, it does happen that multiple creatures find the same corpse. If this happens, they will unselfishly share it with all other creatures, instead of fighting over it by trying to gain acces to the better spots.

When encountered by a predator, the Slyrking will try to disguise itself as good as possible. It will immediately cease all movement, and pretend to be a real moss. Even its breath holds, though this can only last for a short time. Still, this disguise is good enough to make most predators believe they have encountered a moss, on which they loose interest.

Eventually, all this creature concerns itself with is either feeding or resting, which make it a rather unspectacular animal where its behaviour is concerned.

Diet: The Walking Moss lives solely on already died creatures or plants. It attaches itself to a corpse of a beast, or the remains of a plant, and will then drain the leftovers of any nutrients found within. For this process, it needs sunlight, and although not much of it is required, the creature cannot function at night or in dark places, such as caves. It has been thought the sunlight is necessary for the creature to thaw its frozen foodsource, and that otherwise it will not be able to penetrate the frozen outer layer of a corpse to reach the leftovers within.
When it has attached itself to a corpse, part of the creature's hair penetrates the frozen outer layer of the corpse and makes contact with the remains itself. Then, the nutriŽnts are drained by these same hairs and after being digested by the creature, a brown homogenous fluid is exerted from parts not attached to the corpse.
The creature will remain attached to a corpse until all useful nutriŽnts have been extracted. When the corpse has been drained, the creature will detach itself and either look for another potential source of food, or seek shelter again.
Normally, there are multiple creatures present, enough to cover the entire corpse, and it will take them about three days to completely decompose their host.

Sometimes another predator or another carcass-eating animal will try to get his share from the corpse as well, by shoving the Slyrkings aside. Being small and without any defensive mechanisms, the creatures usually have no option than to find another place on the corpse and get as much food from it as possible. Their only means of prevention is to cover the entire corpse with a multitude of Slyrkings, so that their smell will mask that of the carcass, thus preventing predators from detecting it.

Special Abilities: The Walking Moss has a few, yet unspectaculair abilities that allow it to survive. Firstly, it appears so much like a moss that predators usually do not feed on this creature, as they mistake it for ordinary moss and thus leave it alone.
Secondly, it is able to remain in hibernation for quite some time. It has been said that a Walking Moss that had been inert for years suddenly started moving when it sensed the presence of a corpse nearby. Which is evidently another of this creature's abilities; It can detect a dead animal or plant for about three Dashes around.
When a dead corpse is detected, the creature will slowly move towards it and digest it when it has attached itself to it. A creature about as far awa as the Slyrking can detect will be reached in three quarters of a full day.
When the corpse has been emptied of all its useful nutriŽnts, the Slykring simply returns to another suitable place for hibernation.

Usages: Although the Walking Moss is not really used, in a way that its contents are useful, or it has been domesticated, it provides a very important benificial effect for the frozen regions. The brown substance it exerts appears to be quite fertile and does not easily freeze. Thus, the creature plays an important role in continuing the cycle of life in regions where it would otherwise be hampered by permafrost.

Reproduction: It is not known whether a Walking Mosses display a difference between males and females. When reproducing, two seemingly random mosses might decide to merge into one, larger creature. After this has been done, the new Moss will seek shelter and after about two weeks, when it has grown to twice its size, it will fall apart and form multiple new creatures. Usually such a seperation will result in about fifteen new mosses being formed, though these are still only a quarter of the creature's normal size. It has been estimated that it takes these siblings a  year to get to their normal size, though this is not at all certain.

Myth/Lore: Legend has that the Walking Moss was actually created from ordinary moss. Ages ago, a Grey Druid who had merged himself with an ordinary piece of moss was killed while he was in a merged state. His spirit than remained imprisoned within the moss, but because of this, the moss itself now became more like an animal, rather than a plant. Eventually, this Moss divided itself into a group of smaller ones, thus forming the first generation of Walking Mosses.
Many more myths than those that surround the creature, are connected with the fertile fluid it exerts. The property of this substance to bring new life to the frozen lands has given rise to much speculation about supposed magical benefits a refined form of this substance might yield. Various effects, ranging from eternal youth to a resurrection-potion have been suggested, yet none of these things has ever been succesfully created.

Research: Only recently researcher "(Name needed)" established an outpost within the North of Sarvonia at Hargarth  where he tries to cultivate Walking Mosses so he can use the fluid they exert to create a youth potion. Though it is not widely believed this attempt will result in such a potion, it might provide some more information on the behaviour and properties of the Walking Moss.

KR,
Theodorus

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/11/05 8:01
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2005, 09:38:00 »

Hey Theo, haven't read it all, but that is a cool idea!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2005, 13:08:00 »

Thank you, Talia. I thought that in permafrosted regions, many dead plants and animals would remain frozen, and so I figured some createre might take advantage of that, and simultaneously provide the rest of the ecosystem with a "humus" like source of nutrition.

I still need a better name though, so suggestions are welcome.

KR,
Theodorus

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2005, 16:37:00 »

I think I actually did read the entry and quite enjoyed it! I will try to comment when I find the time...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2005, 17:35:00 »

I'm going to borrow your method of asking questions.:p

Quote:
When it has attached itself to a corpse, part of the creature's hair penetrates the frozen outer layer of the corpse and makes contact with the remains itself. Then, the nutriŽnts are drained by these same hairs and after being digested by the creature
Are these hairs tube-like? As in, does the creature suck the nutrients from a corpse?

Quote:
Which is evidently another of this creature's abilities; It can detect a dead animal or plant for about three Stral around.
Three strals seems to be a bit much for such a small creature. Why does it need to have such a range with this ability? I wouldn't think that corpses would be so rare that they would starve. Also, if a corpse is three strals away, wouldn't it take the walking moss days if not weeks to reach it?

Quote:
Ages ago, a Grey Druid who had merged himself with an ordinary piece of moss was killed while he was in a merged state.
I think you meant to say green druid. It might help your myth to be more detailed if you revealed why the druid merged with the moss. You could even develop it into a tale that is told in the northern regions, such as a tragedy over how a young druid lost his life.

The sun falls from the evening sky,
this life I cannot abide.
The eternal night draws nigh,
I seek the loving embrace of my lost bride.

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2005, 01:52:00 »

Quote:
I'm going to borrow your method of asking questions. :p  

Ah, it seems I have a bad influence on you. :devilish

Quote:
Are these hairs tube-like? As in, does the creature suck the nutrients from a corpse?

Yes, the creature does "suck" the nutriŽnts from a corpse, but the hairs are not tube-like. At least, if you'd cut one of the hairs, it wouldn't be a hollow cilinder.
The extracted nutriŽnts are transported like blood is transported through veins, I think.

Quote:
Three strals seems to be a bit much for such a small creature. Why does it need to have such a range with this ability? I wouldn't think that corpses would be so rare that they would starve. Also, if a corpse is three strals away, wouldn't it take the walking moss days if not weeks to reach it?

I considered the large range because I don't really know how many creatures and plants there are in the permafrosted areas of Santharia. If the animal-density is low, then the creature needs to be able to detect dead animals within a large radius. But if there are many, the range could of course be smaller.
And well, perhaps it would take the moss some days to reach it, but it would take it days as well to decompose the corpse. It's just not such a fast creature. ;)

Quote:
I think you meant to say green druid. It might help your myth to be more detailed if you revealed why the druid merged with the moss. You could even develop it into a tale that is told in the northern regions, such as a tragedy over how a young druid lost his life.

Yes, I confused myself here. I thought that animal=grey druid, but it was of course a plant before it became an animal, so it needs to be a green druid. Good point.
And well, why a Green Druid would merge with a moss. I don't really know, they just seem to like merging with plants, don't they? 8o
But I'll try to elaborate this some more, though I don't know if I'll write a tale about it. I've got zero experience in thŠt particular field of developing.

KR,
Theodorus

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2005, 05:36:00 »

Name: Sidling (Skulking, Slinking )Moss....it isnĎt really quick, is it?

Walking Moss: The name of this creature itself gives away the debates over its nature that scholars have engaged in. Considered an animal by one, but a moss by the other, it is still not entirely clear where this creature should be categorized. Still, most scholars today agree that the fact this creature does actually move defines it more as an animal, rather than a plant.

Appearance: When first encountered, this creature actually looks more like a slat of moss, rather than an animal. It is only two grains in height and about one palmspan long. Its entire body is covered with tiny soft green hairs and that's about the only thing that is present on this little animal. No mouth, eyes, feet, paws or tail can be found. Thus, the creature bears an amazing similarity with a common piece of moss where its general appearance is concerned.
However, on a closer inspection, one will see that this is not the case. The creature has been observed as being able to move around, something plants are usually regared not to be able to. And though it moves rather slow, it is far from being inert or stationary.
Also, another thing that makes it different from an ordinary moss is its hair. The hairs are small and soft to the touch, but still they feel a bit sticky, as if they are covered with tiny hooks that hold them attached to your fingers. Even when in a windless surrounding, these hairs still move slightly back and forth, as if the creature breaths through them.

How think is every āhairĎ?. Does the colour change a bit (bottom, top), does it shine in the sun? Or is it rather dull?

Territory: The Walking Moss is only encountered in areas covered with permafrost. It can thus be found on the Icelands, the continent of Cyhalloi and Northern Sarvonia. Within these areas, it resides in tundra's and forests, but not on plain fields of ice. It is assumed this is because the creature needs some protection from the harsh elements ruling the permafrosted areas, and because its main sources of food are usually found in vegetated regions.
In forests, the Moss can mainly be found on the barks of trees, such as Mihtril Birch or the Tulmine, where it resides on the side of the tree that is least exposed to wind and rain.
In the Tundra, it seeks shelter on rocks and stones, also trying to stay out of the wind.
It is not known whether the Walking Moss is common or not, simply because it is quite hard to discern whether a random moss is just moss, or this particular creature. Therefore, no accurate estimate of its population has been made thusfar and due to its rather uninteresting nature, this will not likely change.

You need to compate/create it to a ānormalĎ moss , otherwise it is easy to find.

Diet: The Walking Moss lives solely on already died creatures or plants. It attaches itself to a corpse of a beast, or the remains of a plant, and will then drain the leftovers of any nutrients found within. For this process, it needs sunlight, and although not much of it is required, the creature cannot function at night or in dark places, such as caves.
When it has attached itself to a corpse, part of the creature's hair penetrates the frozen outer layer of the corpse and makes contact with the remains itself. Then, the nutriŽnts are drained by these same hairs and after being digested by the creature, a brown homogenous fluid is exerted from parts not attached to the corpse.
The creature will remain attached to a corpse until all useful nutriŽnts have been extracted. When the corpse has been drained, the creature will detach itself and either look for another potential source of food, or seek shelter again.
Normally, there are multiple creatures present, enough to cover the entire corpse, and it will take them about three days to completely decompose their host.

You need to describe it a bit more - how are the single hairs hold together? Why doesnĎt it fall apart?[Which oines attached themsleves to the dead host, which ones remain outside..  Does it expose itself snow and ice when eating? why isnĎt it affected and frozen still like other Ąmossesď

Special Abilities: The Walking Moss has a few, yet unspectaculair abilities that allow it to survive. Firstly, it appears so much like a moss that predators usually do not predate on this creature, as they mistake it for ordinary moss and thus leave it alone.
Secondly, it is able to remain in hibernation for quite some time. It has been said that a Walking Moss that had been inert for years suddenly started moving when it sensed the presence of a corpse nearby. Who has looked and observed over such a timespan?Which is evidently another of this creature's abilities; It can detect a dead animal or plant for about three Stral around.
When a dead corpse is detected, the creature will slowly move towards it and digest it when it has attached itself to it. When the corpse has been removed of all its useful nutriŽnts, the Walking Moss simply returns to another suitable place for hibernation.

How long does it take for a ped, a stral?

Usages: Although the Walking Moss is not really used, in a way that its contents are useful, or it has been domesticated, it provides a very important benificial effect for the frozen regions. The brown substance it exerts appears to be quite fertile and does not easily freeze. Thus, the creature plays an important role in continuing the cycle of life in regions where it would otherwise be hampered by permafrost.

Reproduction: It is not known whether a Walking Mosses display a difference between males and females. When reproducing, two seemingly random mosses might decide to merge into one, larger creature. After this has been done, the new Moss will seek shelter and after about two weeks, it will fall apart and form multiple new creatures. Usually such a seperation will result in about fifteen new mosses being formed, though these are still only a quarter of the creature's normal size. It has been estimated that it takes these siblings a year to get to their normal size, though this is not at all certain.

Myth/Lore: Legend has that the Walking Moss was actually created from ordinary moss. Ages ago, a Grey Druid who had merged himself with an ordinary piece of moss was killed while he was in a merged state. His spirit than remained imprisoned within the moss, but because of this, the moss itself now became more like an animal, rather than a plant. Eventually, this Moss divided itself into a group of smaller ones, thus forming the first generation of Walking Mosses.

Research: Only recently research "(Name needed)" established an outpost within the North of Sarvonia (is this possible) where he tries to cultivate Walking Mosses so he can use the fluid they exert to create a youth potion. Though it is not widely believed this attempt will result in such a potion, it might provide some more information on the behaviour and properties of the Walking Moss.

Why a youth potion? I thought he would make a fertiliser!
Pick a town up there (Barsalon f.e.) and place your researcher there. From what does he live?

Might have some more ideas after some time....

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2005, 23:31:00 »

Intresting idea, I like.

A thought or two:

Dead corpses IMHO don't containt anything that can be "sucked up" without first making it "suckable", as in partially digesting/solving it. Thus, i think this moss would do a similar thing, especially since its food is frozen. As it is frost resistant, it could use the whatever it uses to stay that way to thaw the corpse (thaw as in make "chewable"), then solve it and absorb the nutritients.

The sunlight thing seems a bit strange... normally, sunlight == clorophyll. In this case impractical - corpses tend to lie in shady and dark places.

I also got problem with the detection range... consider the amount of dead organics around - lots and lots, but most of it small, dead leaves, dead grass, dead moss... So if it can detect all that around, it would need a lot of brainpower to process it. IMHO not needed - it need not crawl far to find food.

How long can it store food? As in, after eating, how long till it needs to eat again/till it dies?  

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2005, 06:21:00 »

Quote:
How think is every āhairĎ?. Does the colour change a bit (bottom, top), does it shine in the sun? Or is it rather dull?

Ehm...*pondes*. I guess it's as thick as the hairs of a relatively thick moss. Don't really know how much that would be in Santharian standards, 1/5 of a grain?
It's rather dull and the color doesn't really differ between the bottom or top of the creature, nor the bottom or top of the hair itself.

Quote:
You need to compate/create it to a ānormalĎ moss , otherwise it is easy to find.

You still think it differs too much from ordinary moss?

Quote:
You need to describe it a bit more - how are the single hairs hold together? Why doesnĎt it fall apart?[Which oines attached themsleves to the dead host, which ones remain outside.. Does it expose itself snow and ice when eating? why isnĎt it affected and frozen still like other Ąmossesď

It has something of a general "body", just like thick moss has, to which the hairs are all attached. So that's the reason it's not just a ball of fur.
There isn't really a front or back to this creature. It just eats with the side turned towards the corpse, it doesn't really matter which side that is.
And I gathered it would have some chemical components (like salt, for instance) that would prevent it being frozen. It could use these same components to thaw the corpses it finds.

Quote:
How long does it take for a ped, a stral?

Pff...I'd say a minute/ped. So that'd be...15 hour/stral. That's too much of course. I'll make the range more limited.

Quote:
Why a youth potion? I thought he would make a fertiliser!
Pick a town up there (Barsalon f.e.) and place your researcher there. From what does he live?

Because dung is probably already used as a fertilizer, and so nobody would go sitting in a frozen area to see if some other substance might do as well.
So I figured the only reason for a researcher/alchemist to go there would be if he had the idea he could make something special from the stuff. (And well, medieval times, all scholars looking for the philosopher's stone/life-elixer. Fitted right in, I thought)

Quote:
Dead corpses IMHO don't containt anything that can be "sucked up" without first making it "suckable", as in partially digesting/solving it. Thus, i think this moss would do a similar thing, especially since its food is frozen. As it is frost resistant, it could use the whatever it uses to stay that way to thaw the corpse (thaw as in make "chewable";) , then solve it and absorb the nutritients.

Indeed.

Quote:
The sunlight thing seems a bit strange... normally, sunlight == clorophyll. In this case impractical - corpses tend to lie in shady and dark places.

Why? I don't really see why a dead animal or tree would necessarily be lying at a shaded/dark place.

Quote:
I also got problem with the detection range... consider the amount of dead organics around - lots and lots, but most of it small, dead leaves, dead grass, dead moss... So if it can detect all that around, it would need a lot of brainpower to process it. IMHO not needed - it need not crawl far to find food.

Well, detection capacity would decrease with range, of course. That is, the further a corpse is away, the bigger it needs to be to be detected. Moreover, in permafrosted areas, there aren't much dead leaves and grasses and such. Those things don't exist in such areas, methinks. (Trees are mostly pines, grass cannot sustain itself on those soils).

Quote:
How long can it store food? As in, after eating, how long till it needs to eat again/till it dies?

I've yet to think of that. As I envision it now, the creature goes into some form of hibernation when no food is present, and can stay that way for a long time.
But I deliberately omitted a fixed period from the entry, as I figured that nobody would have been sitting around long enough to measure this timespan. So nobody actually knows.

KR,
Theodorus (learning how to do relativism :)  )

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2005, 01:53:00 »

Is there a certain time of year they reproduce? How often do they reproduce?

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2005, 10:44:00 »

I don't think there is a specific time of the year they reproduce, it just happens sometimes.
And I don't know either if people would know how many times it reproduces. It's that many people actually stand around there to see it happen.

Furthermore, I tried to integrate previously given comments. If everyone is satisfied with the integration, I guess this submission is almost qualified of becoming an entry, so I wonder if there are any more comments/additions people want to give.

KR,
Theodorus

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2005, 10:50:00 »

Theo, I'll give it a last readthrough in the next days - before update time.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2005, 10:40:00 »

New Post Slyrking (Walking Moss) The second name of this creature itself gives away the debates over its nature that scholars have engaged in. Considered an animal by one, but a moss by the other, it is still not entirely clear where this creature should be categorized. However, nowadays most scholars tend to agree that the fact this creature does actually move defines it more as an animal, rather than a plant.

Appearance: When first encountered, this creature actually looks more like a slat of moss, rather than an animal. It is only three nailsbreadth in height and about one palmspan long. Its entire earthen-like body is covered with tiny soft green hairs of about a nailsbreadth high and a half grain thick. The hair has the same colour on all sides of the creature, though each hair itself is a bit browner at the bottom and more dark-green at the top.
However, these hairs are about the only things present on this little animal. Neither mouth, nor eyes, feet, paws or tail can be found, so that the creature bears amazing similarity with a common piece of moss where its general appearance is concerned.

There is a little difference - a moss, unlike a lichen maybe, has this green fur just on one side, the upper. The bottom would be, if you lift it from the ground, brown and roots and so on..  maybe you have to say, that it looks like a moss looks on top.

However, on a closer inspection, one will see that is not the case. The creature has been observed as being able to move around, something plants are usually regared not to be able to. And though it moves rather slow, it is far from being inert or stationary.
And the hairs with which it is completely covered have been observed to move even when there was no wind to move them. The small rustly of the soft and dull green hairs looks as if the creature is breathing with its entire body. The hairs are small and soft to the touch, but still they feel a bit sticky, as if they are covered with tiny hooks that hold them attached to your fingers. When you move your hand over the moss, it will softly stick itself to your fingers, scraping carefully at your skin with its hairs as if it were inspecting you.

When found on a tree or rock, it is not easy to distinguish this creature from an ordinary moss. Size, appearance and even smell are all the same. Only when the creature is either moving,  or you lift it from the ground, or breathing on a windstill time is it possible to discern it from a normal moss.

Territory: The Slyrking is only encountered in permafrosted areas, such as the Icelands, the continent of Cyhalloi and the North of Sarvonia. Within these areas, it resides in tundra's and forests, but not on plain fields of ice.
 I wonder if it lives near the entrance of caves as well, where it might be a bit warmer and even sometimes snowfree, where a few hardy plants may grow with some small animals, but you could not call this tundra (I#m thinking on the wicker islands which are all year round covered with snowIt is assumed this is because the creature needs some protection from the harsh elements ruling the permafrosted areas, and because its main sources of food are usually found in vegetated regions. Plain icefiels provide neither food nor shelter, and even though the creatures can be remarkebly resilliant, it will not thrive there.
In forests, the Moss can mainly be found on the barks of trees, such as Mihtril Birch or the Tulmine, where it attaches itself to the side of the tree which is least exposed to wind and rain.

Diet: The Walking Moss lives solely on already died creatures or plants. It attaches itself to a corpse of a beast, or the remains of a plant, and will then drain the leftovers of any nutrients found within. For this process, it needs sunlight, and although not much of it is required, the creature cannot function at night or in dark places, such as caves. It has been thought the sunlight is necessary for the creature to thaw its frozen foodsource, and that otherwise it will not be able to penetrate the frozen outer layer of a corpse to reach the leftovers within.
I wonder what will happen when a predator comes and wants its share from the carcass, if it is a bigger one..

Special Abilities: The Walking Moss has a few, yet unspectaculair abilities that allow it to survive. Firstly, it appears so much like a moss that predators usually do not  feed on this creature, as they mistake it for ordinary moss and thus leave it alone.
Secondly, it is able to remain in hibernation for quite some time. It has been said that a Walking Moss that had been inert for years suddenly started moving when it sensed the presence of a corpse nearby. Which is evidently another of this creature's abilities; It can detect a dead animal or plant for about three Dashes around.
When a dead corpse is detected, the creature will slowly move towards it and digest it when it has attached itself to it. A creature about as far away as the Slyrking can detect will be reached in three quarters of a full day.
When the corpse has been emptied of all its useful nutriŽnts, the Slykring simply returns to another suitable place for hibernation.

Reproduction: It is not known whether a Walking Mosses display a difference between males and females. When reproducing, two seemingly random mosses might decide to merge into one, larger creature. After this has been done, the new Moss will seek shelter and after about two weeks and a growth to up the double size (maths!), it will fall apart and form multiple new creatures. Usually such a seperation will result in about fifteen new mosses being formed, though these are still only a quarter of the creature's normal size. It has been estimated that it takes these siblings a year to get to their normal size, though this is not at all certain.

Research: Only recently research "(Name needed)" established an outpost within the North of Sarvonia  near Barsalon or look at the map here: www.santharia.com/maps/co..._coast.htm where he tries to cultivate Walking Mosses so he can use the fluid they exert to create a youth potion. Though it is not widely believed this attempt will result in such a potion, it might provide some more information on the behaviour and properties of the Walking Moss.

Theo, no complaints - just look at what I have found again (you know I have a new idea with every edit!) and then I think it could go up. Barsalon would be a could place, but I haven't found the map where it is on...

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2005, 09:46:00 »

I forgot to say - I like this entry - small but beautiful! An unspectacular animal, but a nice one.

Hey, i just had an idea.. If it grows on the Wicker islands (could be in a restrcted area) as well, there could be a rumour, that the tribe there, the Himiko (not developed yet) has a very long life which cannot be explained and your researcher tries to extract this stuff because of this rumour.. This hasn't to be true, but they are seen as witches and disliked by the other male dominated tribes, so it would fit, if the other icetribes are just inventing something...

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 11/17/05 16:50

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2005, 13:51:00 »

A very interesting plant... er... beast indeed:)   Upon integrating I found however that - although there's lots of information there - the section Habitat/Behaviour was not covered, though it might result from other sections. Could you perhaps compose another paragraph in this respect, Theo?

Oh, and I can add it under Mosses in the Herbarium, but in which category would it fit in the Bestiary? Any proposal?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/3/05 21:06

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 82
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.