Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Short Magician Descriptions  (Read 1852 times)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 11 November 2001, 18:15:00 »

Iíve made a few short descriptions of the various users of magic and the different kinds of magic. Maybe this could be used as a guide for the RPG thatíll be ready in 2 years J.

Primary Classes:

Mage: Mages are mostly good in nature. They lack powerful offensive spells, but can cast protective and defensive spells only. Most of their spells are only periodically, but some of their enchantments last until dispelled.

Sorcerer: Sorcerers are the opposite of mages. They make their lack of defensive spells up with a wide arsenal of offensive spells. Most sorcerers use the elements as a base for their spells. E.g.: Fireballs and lightning strikes.

Conjurer: Conjurers donít have any offensive or defensive spells; they usually summon creatures from the Netherworlds to do the job. They are mostly evil in nature and are often accompanied by some of their demons. A demon summoned can however stay only temporary in this world, depending on the amount of mana the conjurer used.

Necromancer: Necromancers have the power to raise the dead. Most necromancers can only do this in one way: They can resurrect a body, but not a soul. This results in an undead, who will follow his masterís commands. Only very skilled necromancer can retrieve a soul and thus resurrect a person completely, however, a complete resurrection requires a death to take the place of the resurrected one.

Healer: Healers are usually good in nature and are seen by some as weaker necromancers. They canít resurrect a body when the soul has left, but they can repair almost any body that still lives. Some healers are even known to be able to grow entire limbs back on.

Psionic: Psionics donít use magic, but the powers of their minds. While normal people are just receivers, psionics are transmitters. They send powerful psychic waves to their victim to enslave it, or the completely kill itís mind.  

Weaver: Weavers use the purest form of magic. They can actually see the magic all around them and use this to create their spells. They draw their power from what the call ďthe WebĒ, a pseudo world that consists of magic only. Weavers can use both defensive and offensive spells.

Clerics: Clerics cast their spells by using their religion. When a cleric casts a spell, he doesnít actually do it, but the god he has devoted his live to. Only the real devoted can become clerics, because they gods only help them. The nature and spells of a cleric depend on the god they worship.

Secondary Classes ( Combined Classes):

Wizard: One of the most powerful magic-users, they can cast defensive, offensive spells and also have the ability to summon creatures. These three forms bundled in one person create a very hard to defeat magician. Wizards are also the only magicians that can create Imps.

Shaman: The orcish version of a cleric, these magicians donít only call upon their god for spells, but also have the powers of a sorcerer. Shamans use their clerical abilities mostly for difficult and time-consuming spells, while they use their sorcery skills for fast and easier attacks.

Priest: Priest are the opposite of shamans, they have combined their clerical skills with the mageís power of defending and protecting. They use their skills mostly the same as shamans, but they also use their mage spells to enhance previously cast clerical spells.

Charmer: Charmers are psionics who also have the powers of a mage. This combination makes it possible for them not only to posses a mind, but also to enhance or heal it. Although psionics canít affect animals, charmers can. They use various spells to enhance their charisma and to charm creatures to follow them.

Seer: Seers arenít magicians, although some see them as the worshippers of Seyella, the Goddes of Destiny, they arenít clerics. Seers experience visions of the future, but not the exact one. Everything a Seer can see is the different paths the future can bring, and the consequences. Most seers can only see their own possible futures, but some very skilled can see somebody elseís.

Paladin: Paladins are warriors who have some healing abilities. Although paladins have their magical abilities themselves, they have to be taught by a real Healer. However, paladins can never reach the level a healer can.

Illusionist: Illusionist canít cast spells, but they create illusions. These illusions vary from creatures to armies and such. Very skilled illusionists can interfere with somebodyís dreams, showing them things that might influence their decisions.

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2001, 10:42:00 »

I'd merge several classes. We don't need to copy all classes we know from other RPGs but make only few but more distinctable:

Mage(+=Sorcerer,Conjurer,Necromancer,wizard) IMO it sounds unbelieveable why someone can only spell one type of magical casting. Mages might be differed by different magical schools(e.g. the elements and the Xeua-magic)
Conjurer and Necromancers would be mages that misuse their powers for evil purposes.

Psionic(+=Charmer): Don't know but I don't think those guys neccessarily fit into the scheme. Psionics are often used in Cyberpunk and SF-fantasy crossovers.
Mages might have similar powers as well.

Illusionist: Seen this way, Psionics and Illusionists could be one class. But I'm still not sure if they differ from mages in any way.

Weaver: ok.

Clerics(+=Paladin): I think both classes are in some ways defenders of their cult. The Paladin being warriors of their God, Clerics wandering priests who are ready to fight for their cause. At least their spells(blessings) should be both based on the power of their gods. Check the "brainstorming thread" for such ideas.

Priest( +=Healer, Shaman): I think these classes are nearly the same. Only the Gods they believe in differ and define their powers. Beside that they're more spiritual than paladins and clerics. Their only job is spiritual.

Seer: Make them priests of Seyella, the Goddes of Destiny. The most powerful priests of this Goddess.

I hope I didn't destroy anything you wanted to bzuild up but I think we should keep the number of classes as low as possible to make the really different.
In a whole there should be two contradicting magical classes: The mage and the priest. These should be split up into two or three subclasses(e.g. priest, cleric and perhaps) but not more as then there's the great danger that all classes merge into each other. I see no difference between a mage who casts a wide array of spells and a Necromancer who uses all hiss powers to summon demons and the dead. It works the same way but is a different field of magic.

Also I'd say that the classes should be created by building up a cosmological origin of magic and the different ways of magic and then creating classes that use this different ways.
That might be less a "It's fun and good for the game!"-approach but a "world creation approach".

But I'm sure it would be good to discuss this further in the "brainstorming Magic"-thread. To get a base to make classes from.
I'd just think this would be the better way and I hope I didn't  stress you too much! :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2001, 12:19:00 »

I agree Koldar especially when it comes to Psionics. I don't really care for them in "High Fantasy" And the merging of the classes should be considered.

Of course as always these are just my humble opinions.

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2001, 16:31:00 »

I'm with Capher and Koldar on this one. And, in my opinion, I don't think classes should be limited by offense of defense, but by what they use. Like the human mages are (from what I here) the ones who use elemental magic, and elves are the only ones who can use the Xeau. However,  a mage could have a speciality depending on what spells they study. Ex: Human mage, specializes in the element of Fire and in offensive spells. Elven mage, uses the Xeau and specializes in using it to heal others. Just my ideas.

"Shut It!"-Ancient Illinoisian Saying

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2001, 21:26:00 »

Why aren't there any "Tall Magician Descriptions"?

;)  

And where do my Avatenes fit in (healers?  some people don't even know that they work magic to do what they do!)

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2001, 03:18:00 »

Well, I guess this is pretty obvious. I'll do the whole thing over somewhere this week. I guess I'll use the Mage and Priest classes to derive the others from (except Weavers, of course). This way, I've some more interresting things to do than homework this week, so don't worry about stressing me :) .

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2001, 01:53:00 »

Don't use the term 'Psionic' then. It does have a science-fictionish feel to it which might be out of place in a fantasy world. Tarquet used the word 'Mentalists', so use that instead. Or if it still doesn't sound right, somebody suggest something that does then! The idea of magic through the power of the mind isn't a new thing in fantasy, David Eddings used it in his Belgarian and Mallorean books. The Will and the Word, remember? The power of the mind, channelled through a word which acts as a focus for the mental energies, it's not a magic word, everything lies in the will. Power of the mind, ta-da!

Anyone noticed by now that I don't like explanations of magic that's too overly complicated and fussy? :lol

Capher
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2001, 02:57:00 »

That is exactly how I see how magic should work also Dala, by the mind, stronger the mind/will the stronger the wizard. Of course there are those who have strong wills bent the wrong way, so you get evil, those who have strong wills striving for good will always be at battle with them. And so the circle of evil and good continues until one or the other win a battle. But the final war..." Well that is to be decided by us writers I guess.

With deepest regards,Capher

I live to but to serve my Goddess Seyella and Talon Hawke; son, heir and Wizard of the White Tower-defender of the lands and peoples of Caelereth!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.