Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Mina's question hour  (Read 6229 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 10 January 2006, 16:10:00 »

Quite a while ago Mina sent me a bunch of questions - finally I get to answering them. I post them here as well, because they might be of general interest. I post the questions first, then my reply in italic:

1. From what I remember of Rayne's entries about car'all, strengthening a xeua link causes another to weaken, and vice versa.  Is there any predictable pattern to this works?  Would a xeua mage be able to create ecua effects by strengthening links such that the correct links would be weakened to produce the desired ecua effect?

Response:
Well, the predictability depends of course on what you focus on. If you target something with a highly earth dominated cár'áll, strenghtening earth links will be much easier than strengthening e.g. water links. So the determining factor of what other links will change when strengthening specific ones (e.g. to strengthen fire links in order to get mainly a fire effect) is the "amount" or "density" of these other elemental links and what kind of links you actually focus on. Changing the orientation of a structure completely by 180 degree so to speak (from fire to water etc.) of course is much more difficult, as associated links will fall into place not so easily. But it also depends if there is a disposition slumbering within a structure to be receptive of certain constellations, so no general rule can be made. And I don't think that this is necessary - magic is not physics, it's about the way to understand a structure and get a feeling for its dispositions, rather than measuring percentages and link amounts.

On the second question: Would a xeua mage be able to create ecua effects by strengthening links such that the correct links would be weakened to produce the desired ecua effect? - You can bet he can, yes, in most cases, sure. If he knows how to approach an object, that should be no much of a problem. Instead of explicitely breaking certain links he could establish the contrary links, causing a break effect. He might not be as fast or efficient as an Ecuá mage, though.

2. What would happen to the physical form of something if its car'all is destroyed, eg. by using ecua to break all the links in it?  Also, what might happen if instead of destroying a car'all, a group of xeua and ecua magi alter an existing car'all to become identical to the car'all of another object?  Would such things even be possible, given the 'conservation of ahm and soor' rule mentioned in my first question?

Response:
Well, you can destroy a chair by breaking all the links - then the chair is not a chair anymore. Why not? Xeuá and Ecuá mages could also convert an existing cár'áll into another permanent cár'áll, e.g. transform a chair to a table. Would be a difficult level III spell (well, making a table out of a chair probably isn't the best example, but still). Ecuá and Xeuá mages working together could surely accomplish incredible stuff. Perhaps even a single wizard, who know how to handle Ecuá and Xeuá, these would be the ultimate wizards of all time - extremely rare, but they'd have Chosen level.

3. Are there any differences between the Elven and Ximaxian concepts for car'alls and ouns and related stuff?

Response:
Ximaxian magic is more or less a science of the supernatural, an attempt to explain the mysteries of magic and make it reproducable. For the elves what the humans would call "supernatural" is natural, at least for those who can sense how to cast magic - not all elves can in the same degree, I assume. Their approach is very different, based on an inner feeling, which they don't analyze or want to make reproduceable. Cár'áll and oúns are Styrásh words, though, but they are not scientific or scholarly terms for the elves, they speak of a man's or woman's cár'áll meaning their aura, and use it for things as well, as they are part of the creation. For human mages this is more a terminus technicus. Elves most likely also don't have elemental mages, but are a mixture of clerical and Xeuá mages (or Ecuá mages in case of dark elves) as Ximaxians would see it.

4. How are Elves different from Humans, aside from the obvious physical features?  Or, to use Wren's words, how are hey not 'Humans with pointy ears'?  What about Dark Elves?

Response:
The whole ideology of elves is completely different compared to humans. We still lack a proper Elves entry, but the main things are stated in the races entries. The humans are constituted mainly by the longing for power and might, the elves represent harmony and understanding for nature, they are extremely religious (quite a difference to humans, who have a very different kind of religiosity - just look around here on Earth and see how religious "humans" actually are mostly). All this also reflects in their way on how to use magic.

Dark Elves or Shadow Elves are still elves, they only re-interpret their beliefs, and what to a human or a wood elf looks evil is "natural" for them. The tribe entries are there to stress and elaborated these things.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2006, 17:34:00 »

:pet
This will take a while to absorb.  Then maybe I'll have more questions to ask.  :devilish  

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2006, 18:44:00 »

So elves can feel car'all? I always thought it was a strickly theoretical thing. And can they feel the a difference between the ounia as well?

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2006, 03:43:00 »

See, that's a typical human question, Marvin. An elf most likely has never heard of the word "ounia" in the context of magic. He/she has no idea what all those Ximaxians are talking about!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2006, 03:51:00 »

He might learn it when studying in Ximax!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2006, 20:52:00 »

Yep, that was basicly the question: how does a Ximaxian elf think about it?

~> Click Here <~

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2006, 03:02:00 »

Are there elves in Ximax? I don't think so.

Erian Melor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2006, 03:33:00 »

Quote:
People from all over Sarvonia come to Ximax. From the droves of Milkengradian water-wizards, to the elven Xeuá sorcerors, a proliferation of Brownies, unusual in a city, to even the occasional Kasumarii darkpriest.
According to the entry (I know its outdated), elves do attend Ximax.

Quote:
Some of the more explorative Sanhorrhim have travelled to Ximax, to learn Water Magic, but this causes them to lose their contact with Baveras.
Ahem... a tribe of elves with a few members that attend Ximax.

Its true that several tribes have their own magic schools, but there are still elves in Ximax and within the academy itself.:biggrin  

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea.

J.R.R. Tolkien - "The Hobbit"

Edited by: Erian Melor at: 1/11/06 10:37
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2006, 14:37:00 »

Well, definitely there are outdated references, and there might be exceptions to the rule. But I personally don't see much reason why an elf should go to Ximax as their understanding of magic is one of the things why they differ greatly from humans. An elf might buy some magical equipment there, sure, or access information on other forms of magic etc. - but that an elf would go to Ximax to study scholarly Ximaxian magic sounds pretty much like a contradiction in itself to me.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2006, 15:01:00 »

So you are saying that all elven tribes basically have their own "school" for magic? Yet none are really expressed in the entries themselves. But then, would all tribes bother to teach magic? And I would assume that the teachers would have to gather some knowledge from the school to expand their horizons.

Ximax is such a renound school that I could see some elven families wanting to send their children there because they feel the education might be better than what their tribe has to offer, or what their child desires, the tribe cannot offer. Ximax is the School of Magic. The only one directly mentioned on the site, the rest I am guessing are "assumed" to be there and are fairly small and limited in their resource of knowledge. Why then, would an elf, limit itself to the minimal resources of their tribe when they could gain so much more at the school?

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 1/11/06 22:05

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2006, 16:32:00 »

Would a dwarf send his son to a famous miner to learn mining?

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2006, 15:33:00 »

I guess it all depends on personal preference.

You would want to send your child to the best school you could get them into no?

I don't understand why, if given the opportunity, an elvish family wouldn't send their child to a school where they could get the best education they could get.

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 1/11/06 22:34

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2006, 16:53:00 »

Different races have different goals in their lives... The behaviour of sending children to the best school available is very understandable for humans. A dwarf might prefer to stay at his mine and be skeptical to the aboveground in general, and elves have very different values and priorities in their lives - learning Ximaxian magic would be a interpreted vastly as a corruption of their natural abilities I'd say. "Being the best" is not an elven virtue.

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2006, 19:41:00 »

Ah, so no elves in Ximax... You learn something new every day :)  

~> Click Here <~

Edited by: Marvin Cerambit  at: 1/12/06 2:42
Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2006, 21:10:00 »

Hello everyone. ~Bows gracefully~ I have only one question and it pertains I think more to the RPG boards than the development boards.

If there are none or few elves in Ximax what does that do for the learning curve of elves in the fields of magic? On the RP board Ximax is strictly enforced as the "place" for all to learn or the learning curve goes up greatly. Does this mean that elves would learn slower since they are not prominant in the school. Or are the schools in the elven tribes able to teach at the speed Ximax allows?

_.·´¯)†he §pe££ ƒe££ Üpon the Çrowd £ike a Ðragon, Åncient and ƒu££ oƒ Ðeath.(¯`·._ Twen Araerwen

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 42
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.