Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Some new spell concepts - plus air-conditioning!  (Read 4852 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 29 May 2006, 22:26:00 »

As per a request from Sifler, I'm posting some concepts here, just shaken out of my sleeve tonight.    I hope some few can be useful and tenable, but I'll let you talented mages argue that!

EARTH:  

Magmafy Stone - developed by dwarven mages for use in sculpture, small-scale architectural projects, etc.  Stone is 'requested' (or more likely with the Thergerim, commanded) to return to its most liquid, fiery state.  Requires a great deal of energy and control, only possible to 'melt' about a ped square at a time.

Enhance Decay - speeds up the organic breakdown of natural materials such as compost, dead trees, etc. to enrich the area of earth upon which the spell is cast.  Very helpful for farmers - that is, the few who can afford the services of a mage.  Also applied by royal degree to the court privies and public jakes of New Santhala!

Gully-Cutting - allows the spell-caster to cause trenches, small crevasses, or divert water (no, wait, just listen!) by 'perceiving' the natural crevices and weaknesses in the local geography and amplifying them.  Water in the area will seek its own level and assist in the formation of the gully.  Again, has agricultural applications but also good for road-building projects.

Locate Metal - Not, as you might think, developed by the Thergerim, who have a sense of their own which borders on magical when it comes to finding gold, silver, mithril, and the like.  This enchantment allows mere humans to detect the presence of ores in the rock and earth around them - by scent!  The spell is usually cast on a hunting dog or a young sow rather than a sentient being, however, as it seems to 'burn out' the nasal passages permanently after use.

WATER:

Purify Blood - a great assistance to mage-healers.  Can reduce fevers, the severity of agues, and assist in cases of accidental or deliberate poisoning.

Drain-Dry - a rather nasty aggressive spell which dehydrates the victim by every means possible.  Sweat, urine, tears, and so on are literally forced to emerge from the body.   A common if unpleasant 'trick' played by student mages, sometimes in class, upon each other...  however, when cast in seriousness by an experienced magic-user, can kill if not countered/treated immediately.

FIRE:  

Prolonged Ember - allows a small fire, even a few coals in a tinderbox, to remain burning for a vastly elongated amount of time.  While it is not a difficult spell, and would seem to be helpful for travellers, we should caution users that this greatly reduces the amount of heat AND light which the fire puts out, for some reason.  

Charletters - a neat little casting which must have been developed by a tidy-minded scholar of magic.  With a suitable amount of concentration, one can create a point of intense heat upon a surface (such as parchment, paper, or a flat slab of wood) and then move it about, literally 'scorching' lines, letters, or even simple sketches.   As the spell can be cast at a distance, it has obvious military applications (an observer can 'report' what he sees back to another location)...

WIND:

Draphnar's Invisible Bellows - concentrates air not in the popular 'whirlwind' shape but rather along an imaginary line, usually the caster's arm for convenience.  Air rushes forcibly towards the indicated direction, and depending upon the mage's skill and intent, can be a puff to extinguish a candle or a blast suitable for an iron forge.  A good defensive spell as it can easily push a man backwards, and helpful in crowd or mob control.

Choking Wheezes - strictly offensive in nature, this spell appears to cause the windpipe of the being upon whom it is cast to constrict.  He (or it, as the spell is equally effective upon birds and beasts, or indeed any air-breathing thing) begins to gasp for air and will slowly strangle if the spell is prolonged.  

Cooling Breezes - Not to be confused with the previous spell of similar name.  This was recently developed by a young court mage of New Santhala when his inamorata complained of the summer's heat in her suite of rooms.  The spell requires a large clay planter shaped like a trough, a woolen blanket, and a window.  The blanket is tacked firmly over an open window in the room which is to be cooled, and the planter placed on the sill with the bottom edge of the blanket inside.  The trough is then filled and the blanket soaked with water.  So far this is merely a common method of gaining relief from the heat,  as the water evaporates and provides a sense of coolness.  However, the young mage took his observations one step further and used a simple Wind spell, causing air to perpetually circle from inside to out and back through the damp blanket.  He gained the thanks, and probably much more, of his lady-love, and the 'Breeze Apparatus', as it is cumbersomely called, is becoming a standard fixture throughout the palace!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2006, 01:12:00 »

Quote:
Charletters - a neat little casting which must have been developed by a tidy-minded scholar of magic. With a suitable amount of concentration, one can create a point of intense heat upon a surface (such as parchment, paper, or a flat slab of wood) and then move it about, literally 'scorching' lines, letters, or even simple sketches. As the spell can be cast at a distance, it has obvious military applications (an observer can 'report' what he sees back to another location

And now we have a laser printer!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2006, 07:30:00 »

Hmmm the earth ones look like they would make good spells however for the Magmyfining one, I do not see how earth could be used to make a liquid.  Enlightenment for a humble apprentice could be used :nod  

Drasil Razorfang CD

Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2006, 07:48:00 »

Bard Judith isn't very good at magic, so it's entirely possible that she's listed some of the suggestions under the wrong element.  

Anyway, who wants to do the entry for the air conditioner thingy?  I think I'd like to do the spell for it, but not the entire apparatus.  

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2006, 07:57:00 »

Lets see, for the arth ones.  The first spell idea I believe is fire, the second I thought we decided growth was not earth, however if allowed I think it is developable.  Gully gutting seems like a new application of Sculpt earth(or whataever we decided to call it ;)  ) However I do like Locate metal which is pretty good and should be able to be developed, just in a different way as I do not see how it can be done as she said.

Drasil Razorfang CD

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2006, 08:46:00 »

The first and second wind spells are alredy up... Wind Exile and Aura of Smothering...

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Mis'fer, Sky master.

Edited by: so orril miesefer  at: 5/29/06 17:01

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2006, 13:09:00 »

Thanks for the comments, people, but a disclaimer is obviously necessary again.  I don't 'do' magic, though I try to keep up with what's being discussed and posted.  These concepts are just that - throw-away ideas that I typed into ezboard off the top of my head late last night, not carefully-researched proposals which I plan to write!

If any of our experienced mages likes any of the results of my mini brainstorm, please feel free to take, change, and develop the idea.  Otherwise, ignore, crumple, and toss away the parchment  - feedback in this case isn't needed.

Regards from the 'I'm-a-bard-not-a-spaceship-doctor-dammit',
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2006, 13:15:00 »

Oh good heavens, Judith! I almost ended up wearing my drink after seeing this 'I'm-a-bard-not-a-spaceship-doctor-dammit'. :rollin   Lovely way to note this Dear Bard!

(`._he pe e pon the rowd ike a ragon, ncient and u o eath_.)

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/29/06 21:17

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2006, 13:24:00 »

Maybe we should add a sticky to magic dev...

Quote:
"Do not post here unless you have a degree in nuclear physics, chemistry, paranormal research, and are fire repellant, water proof, air tight, and stone d."

Miraran Tehuriden..

'What the hell is he doing?!' - Ximaxian Fire Master, last words.

Feed the rats, leave a message!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2006, 13:36:00 »

:lol  :lol  :lol     :thumbup  

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2006, 13:53:00 »

Don't forget to add Advanced Studies in Philosophy!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2006, 14:29:00 »

And Material physics...

What's my magic? My treasure. What's my God? My freedom. My law? the strength and the wind. My mother country the sky So Orril Mis'fer, Sky master.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2006, 15:39:00 »

I would also add informatics ;)  Judy, thank you very much. I shall have a good night's sleep, and then I shall get to it.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2006, 08:19:00 »

(takes the liberty of scratching gently behind Sif's velvety violet-hued ears and watching his whiskers crinkle up...) :p   Do that!  I know - alas, better than most - the value of a good night's sleep in restoring creativity, patience, and inspiration...    Sleep disorder is a draining disability which most people experience only occasionally as insomnia.  Ah well, it brings Santharia more illustrations from me, so there is at least a bronze lining to that particular cloud...

I should note here that I credit Mercedes Lackey with drawing the concept of evaporation as a primitive air cooler to my attention.  If you don't already know and love her Valdemar books, go discover her now!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 05 August 2006, 12:40:21 »

Can some of you expert ounia-wielders go through my suggestions above and mark those that are usable/tenable/don't already exist?  I could then move them over to the 'Suggestions for Newbies' area - er, I mean "To Be Developed", because of course we do not want to allow hapless novices to play around with this dangerously mystical concept, right?

Thanks ever so muchly!  (flutters her lashes at the resident mages and sets her scroll of inscribed parchment down on a desk softly as she departs)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 42
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.