Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Question About Channeling/Focusing Tools...  (Read 6680 times)
Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« on: 01 June 2006, 11:37:00 »

I remember vaguely that in the casting procedure of one of the spells in the Compendium (I think it was a wind spell, but I'm not sure), it said something along the lines of '...the mage then raises their hand or wand...'
The part that I'm concerned about is the wand.  So far, that is the only mention of a channeling/focusing tool I have seen on the site other than the various pics of mages holding staffs.  Do many magic users utilise wands/rods/staffs in their spellcasting, or is that merely to achieve the 'mystical' effect that the mage represents?  

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2006, 12:05:00 »

No, they don't. Spell work purely be concentrating (so you could cast whatever without lifting a finger). However, such things as reagents, gestures or formulas can help the mage in his focus (thus enhance his concentration) and make it easier to cast a spell. Lower level mages can hardly cast without the help of reagents for example.

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2006, 12:11:00 »

I would beg to differ slightly with you on this subject Marv. Wands, staves and other focusing devices may not be a necessity for a mage to cast their incantations. Though a few magi have been known to rely on these focusing devices to aid in their spells. This is more a mental dependance of the mage than an actual requirement but it does happen. More amongst humans than any other race, it is still viewed by most magi as a sign of weakness. A highly discouraged practice amongst all schools of magic I am certain, but not unheard of.

(¯`·._†he §pe££ ƒe££ Üpon the Çrowd £ike a Ðragon, Åncient and ƒu££ oƒ Ðeath_.·´¯)
.·´`·.Character Creation Help.·´`·.

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 5/31/06 20:15

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2006, 12:32:00 »

Ah, yes appologies. I read 'do mages need to use...' :wink2

So yes, they use them (although normally only on lower levels or for complicated spells), but they don't need them.

~> Click Here <~

Falethas Whisperwind

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2006, 12:45:00 »

Oh... So, from what you and Twen said above, does this mean that as a mage becomes more powerful and experienced in his particular school of magic, the need for formulae, reagents, and gestures becomes less and less necessary?
If that is the case, perhaps we should revise some spells to say that such and such may be used as a reagent.  As of yet, some spells imply that such and such must be used as a reagent when casting.  

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2006, 12:59:00 »

Yep. Although they might still use it for complicated spell. Even if they don't need it, it might be mentally less tiring.

Many of what's on the site on magic is outdated unfortunately (and it's probably one of the reasons why magic is so complicated). Many spell are no longer 100% correct.

~> Click Here <~

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2006, 13:00:00 »

To my understanding and to what seems the general consensus on Reagents and Formulae, yes a mage becomes less dependant on these the more practiced a particular incantation is for them. But moving forward with anything encompassing many spell entries concerning Formulae and Reagents is on hold as these particular aspects of magic are still in discussion.

(¯`·._†he §pe££ ƒe££ Üpon the Çrowd £ike a Ðragon, Åncient and ƒu££ oƒ Ðeath_.·´¯)

Silfer Darkflare
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2006, 13:32:00 »

Agree with all of the above. The reason every spell has reagents is that at sometime, you learn that spell, and while learning it, such tools are useful.  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2006, 15:01:00 »

Leaving it open-ended (they may use devices,  which assist them, but they do not have to) works best for me.

That would allow me to make sure there is no conflict in how the dwarves view magic.   Reagents, staves, or other focusing devices are considered necessary 'tools', - but likewise magic is rather bound up with prayer, belief, and willpower in their perspective.  
(Not to throw in a wild card at this stage of the game - they play by the same rules as 'Ximaxian' magic, but probably view it more as 'clerical' magic - as far as I understand it...)

So to the devout but pragmatic dwarves, their skill/strength/magical ability comes from Urtengor, who allows them to use 'tools' to manipulate magic.  Even the most skilled sculptor or smith still needs a chisel, or a hammer, to make the stone/metal do what he wants... so there is no particular feeling that reagents should be dispensed with at higher levels.  

Nothing in there conflicts with what's being decided in general, I hope?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2006, 15:11:00 »

Yes...I was under the impression that dwarves hated magic...This is probably just my mind making stuff up again.  Bad Drasil :hammer  :fish  

Drasil Razorfang CD

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2006, 16:04:00 »

Most assuredly not all magicians view the same things with equal light Dear Judith. Though I can see how a dwarf's faith reinforces his willpower, faith does this for many people in the real world. This faith or willpower being aided with specific objects makes alot of sense as well. Pardon my use of mundane words, but various religious objects grant strength of faith in many ways. AKA... the crucifix.

Though Clerical magic is undefined, as we await Lady Talia's words for enlightenment. Theoretically it could be linked on the most basic of levels with Ximaxian magic. But mentioning this to a Cleric or Lady Talia might bring about a fate worse than death. :)  

P.S.: I think our Dear Bard mentioned that dwarves would work with Earth magic (Obvious the reasons why) and fire (Due to smelting and forging) though much less than earthen magics. If I recall properly she had mentioned this chatting with Thorgas when he created his dwarven mage.

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 6/1/06 0:10

Falethas Whisperwind

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2006, 12:28:00 »

Do different races possess different hanthamería based upon their cultures and views, then?  I mean, like the Bard said, dwarves would most likely be aligned with Earth and Fire Magicks.  Could we then say that Elves may be aligned more towards, say, the elements of Wind and Water?

Edited by: Ysuran Auondril at: 6/1/06 20:31

Twen Araerwen
Aspiring Member

Death's Mistress

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2006, 12:37:00 »

Elves as a race are considered to be creatures of the wind. Though this varies slightly amongst the various tribes the general association is the element wind. Oh and Orcs are fire.  

Edited by: Twen  Araerwen  at: 6/1/06 20:38

Falethas Whisperwind

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2006, 12:57:00 »

Both of which make sense, judging by the ways in which these races live their lives.

Edited by: Ysuran Auondril at: 6/3/06 22:44

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2006, 14:01:00 »

Er... 'hanthamería'?  I have hanthamería?   (looks frantically over herself to see if she is coming out in spots... then quickly scans back over the other posts for some context...)  :veryconfused  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 74
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 55
Total: 55

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.