Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Giant Brainstorming  (Read 2693 times)
Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2006, 07:27:18 »

First and foremost, I want to state for the record that these are just all ideas at this juncture. I want input from you guys on this and don’t be afraid to state your distaste for any of these ideas.

Here are aforementioned ideas.

Tribes –

Looking through all the references to giants in the compendium, I have found 3 possible tribes. Of course, more could be created at a later date.

Snow ( or ice or cold or different name, but yeah) giants – found on the peninsula of Aeh’Os’th’er’oc. The ulvur (granted they’re mythical) also have a word for giant, so these giants might also be found in Cyhalloi? Maybe not though, for major development of that area is prohibited, and placing a race of giant mean things is pretty major IMHO.

Stone – Probably the most common, found in the stone fields of Peat and the surrounding area. This is the most highly referenced giant in the current compendium (these are the guys that harass the ice tribes)

Fire – this was a small reference in the celeste mountains entry. Probably (if they exist) they would be so rare that they would be considered mythical by the surrounding areas, and could do much in the way of superstitions.

Territory –

The stone fields of Peat and the surrounding area seem to have the highest concentration of Giants. As mentioned before, there is also concrete evidence of them being in the Icelands of Aeh’Os’th’er’oc, as well as rumors of fire giants in the Celeste Mountains.

My biggest concern over territory will be the possibility of giants in Cyhalloi. I wouldn’t mind putting them there (or at least hinting that there are rumors of them being there and what not), but i want to know what you guys think of placing these guys on a completely different continent.

Diet –

I’m thinking these things eat whatever meat they can get their hands on. Which, being considerably large and nasty hands, could be basically anything. Things mentioned include humans, thunderfeet, other giants, cragok goats and gynnia

Social Structure and what not –

I’ve never really considered giants to be highly structured in regards to social activity. I would think that they are solitary creatures, even attacking eachother when they see eachother. There might be a special relationship between genders ( races don’t last long when the people are too busy killing themselves to make babies), but I seriously doubt that there is any MAJOR social structure between the giants, at most tribes I should think. Perhaps they gather every once in awhile to attack things, but I would consider this their greatest gathering.

As you guys can probably see, these creatures won’t be the brightest minds in the world

Expect more later.

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2006, 07:46:06 »

What if you break the Snow Giants into two entries.  The first on the penninsula of Aeh’Os’th’er’oc, the second call Ice Giants and develop them once the continents development opens.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2006, 21:59:01 »

on social customs; perhaps the stone giants are slighty tribal,living in small groups (4-6 adults mostly).. it allows foramore dense population, and a bit moreoptions on culture and beliefs. Ice/snow giants could be wellsollitary, since food would be much more scarce.. perhaps these live longer, enhancing their chance of finding a few mates before they die?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2006, 00:08:48 »

Pikel, i would leave the snow giants alone. For one, there is possibly not much known about them, for they live so remote. All what we could know would come from the icetribes, and that would be mostly myths. I doubt that a single explorer (or even a group) could survive long enough to get enough data worth an entry.

Just develop the stone giants of peat, this is enough work if it is done nicely. Your other proposals sound nice, maybe add to diet anything, berries and bark etc as well. they would need huge amounts to not be hungry, so meat is the main income of calories, but bears eat berries as well, why not giants? Maybe they eat it only at special times, or the pregnant women look out for it out  of instinct to get more vitamins?

You need some ideas concerning the Icetribes as well, they would probably hunt them, right?

Just an idea - clothing - will they have some, maybe the furs of the thunderfoot? And the big teeth as something special , I thought at a toothpick, but it might be a bit too big even for giants!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 October 2006, 04:17:50 »

I just want everyone to know that I haven't forgotten about this. I've even started a ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH Draft of these Guys, but I am also working on another project so it may take some time with my somewhat unpredictable schedule

Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2008, 21:32:11 »

I'd like to open up this discussion again about developing the Giants race. Pikel has given me permission to continue his work. If any apprentice would like to aid me in this project, speak up now!  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 June 2008, 00:08:07 »

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, Azhira, but I'm creating a race of Giant brothers and sisters for my Ashz-oc creation myth. They will be used instead of Gods.

I won't go into detail now, but if you want to know more, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2008, 20:49:47 »

The general Giants Overview thread is now located here: Giants: A Rough Overview

Please post any ideas/thoughts/comments there please. The new thread is meant to provide a general overview of the race with links to the actual tribes as they get developed. :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 13
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 96
Total: 96

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)