Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Questions concerning Manthrian Coast/Fields of Aurium  (Read 3293 times)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« on: 24 October 2006, 23:59:43 »

Two questions arose (probably more to come while I write this) while I was brainstorming over the hopefully-soon-to-come Fields of Aurium description, east of Ravenport, north of Shneerin fyi, namely the following:

- Can I assume the Mathrian coastline, in general terms, looks the same as pictured in the entry on Lorehaven? With rocky hills overseeing the sea, with here and there less steeper descendance possibilities
- Why aren't the Fields of Aurium all the way up to the northern roads that circumvent the area? If I'd be a farmer having such fertile grounds at my disposal, I'd be more than willing to cover a few extra miles to get myself some extra high quality Golden Rain to sell.

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2006, 03:49:41 »

Ok, some answers:

1.) Yes, I guess so - we have it shown that way on the Lorehaven picture, could be pretty general for all of western Manthria.

2.) The Fields of Aurium are where they are... simply because I put them in there when designing the map.  grin You see, I cannot think about everything when I do a map - I basically try to get variety in it (a hill here, a little creek there, a field, a house, one more house). Sometimes it could have been done differently to allow better usage later, sure.

However, I took it more or less for granted that explanations why something is that way and not the other way round will be the developers' task and that the developers basically have to interpret what they see on the map and why. It's just simpler to explain something with a good reason in a text than to change a whole map around, you know.

I did some changes with the Aesthran map part, however, this shouldn't become the rule, though. There it was done out of necessity to solve a problem - if it can be helped otherwise, such a solution should be preferred.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2006, 03:51:40 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2006, 07:33:30 »

Ok, well I'll gladly take up the challenge to find a reason why this particular part of the landscape wasn't used for farming. As I think of it, it's probably considered cursed for some reason, probably the location of some battle, which could go right into the history section, yes, yes, great possibilities I can imagine.

Of course, now it will take a lot longer to finish the entry ;) Thanks for the answers, they'll surely help me on the way.

- Shendar Proverb
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2006, 13:50:20 »

Absolutely, and sorry about that change, Art.  It wasn't my first option, if you'll recall... ;)  I do appreciate your suggestion and willingness to resolve the difficulty in that way, though, because the larger map was somewhat misleading to our new developer when taken in conjunction with the original precis suggestion (which was based on the 'less detailed' map)

I believe that geography shapes history:  where the course of a river flows will determine settlements, boundaries, fertile fields, disputed areas... etcetera. 

So yes, it is our problem to develop a map consistently.  That's why, for example, I came up with the concept of Roulk to explain why there was a settlement marked seemingly in the middle of nowhere.   Other people have created equally innovative explanations for other natural features and their proximity to human settlements - not to mention reasons and rationales for nomenclature. 

The same is true of any other artworks which have been provided, in general - it's usually easier and less time-consuming to change words on a page than pixels on a screen, though it takes no less creativity.

Gean - it's also possible that though those lands look smooth and flat on a map, they may not be as 'fertile' as they appear.  Even a curse will lose its potency of belief after a few generations, especially if the local skeptic or oblivious newcomer decides to carve out a nice undeveloped piece of the 'cursed lands' for himself, without obvious consequences....   So perhaps there is a faith-based reason AND a physical grounding - perhaps the ground there has a chemical imbalance (though you wouldn't put it that way, of course) or is riddled with alum deposits or is saturated with salt.... I'm sure you can think of something!

Making it rich in a particular chemical would be much appreciated, as we are notably short of such natural resources  - of which the medieval and renaissance worlds were aware and found use for.   See my list, somewhere in the depths, of medieval chemicals which could be used....

Now I'll have to go look it up for you and try to provide a link....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2006, 06:12:42 »

Judy, you're ideas are as always mindthrilling (dunno whether that's an official word)... I've been looking for your alchemy stuff, it is per chance here or perhaps over here?

I think I've found it now... this post is probably it. I'm going to look through possibilities, it's something I've never kept in mind with my entries. It would give possibilities for the nearby Hallowhills as well!
« Last Edit: 26 October 2006, 06:23:46 by Gean Firefeet » Logged

- Shendar Proverb
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2006, 12:49:40 »

Gean, you amaze me.  Your title plaque should definitely be "Master Researcher" or perhaps "Tomedelver" - I'm not sure I could've dug that out of the recesses (was going to cheat and look it up on my computer... :) )  Thanks ever so!

If you can use anything from "this post", since that is definitely it, please do.  I await in expectation.  And if 'mindthrilling' isn't a word it ought to be.  Let's add it to our Tharian dictionary... (grins)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2006, 16:33:09 »

Don't forget the very nifty search function of this forum, it wasn't that hard. On top of that, I'm a first generation internet adult, so searching for information via eletronic means is as much part of my 'genes' as is searching through the small tabcards in an old librarycatalogue probably part of yours :-)

I like 'Tomedelver', it has a macabre touch to it because of the last part, but it sounds great.

- Shendar Proverb
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]