Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Azure Wolf, Riding Beast.  (Read 13198 times)
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« on: 12 November 2006, 14:40:05 »

Basic Overview.
One of the wolves that live on the northern Ice Lands, when tamed is very docile compared to other species; the Xazure Wolf as its name suggests gets a Xazure fur mane once it reaches adulthood every winter, having a whitish blue tone during the rest of the year. The average size is one ped and two fores at the withers and three peds and a bit more from the snout to the tip of the tails. Another big difference is that the Xazure Wolf does not have a single tail, but three of them.

Appearance.
These creatures are among the bigger wolves on (on needs to be in, what you had just said is that they were physically on Northern Sarvonia instead of residing in it) northern Sarvonia, reaching a ped and two fores at the withers (around two peds from the head to the paw.) And the awesome three peds from the tip of its nose to the tip of its three tails. Its big muscles are easily seen marked under the soft blue fur; it keeps the wolf warm so it can move easily in the cold climates of the north lands.

Its fangs are sharp and long (1 palmspan more or less) to tear apart the meat, and they have molars that let them crush some plants, including the Hrugchuck Grass, making these wolves omnivores.
For an unknown reason it has three tails, some investigations suggest they are for keeping the wolf warm during the nights because the fur of this tails is really fluffy and the wolf covers its snout and part of the head with them while asleep. These tails emerge near the hips, in the skeleton; the column divides in three past the pelvis bone, joined by a pair of joints similar to the shoulder ones that give each tail a certain freedom of the others.
The head fur is larger and bigger than the body fur, making a sort of mane that goes from the head to half ped back the fur turns xazure during the winter ( a reaction to the great freezing cold, tough in summer is warmer the snow never defrosts, making winters really crude.) while the rest of the year is light blue, to absorb more heat from the sunlight.
Its ears are pointy, and appear over the dense mane, like the Oracau ones.

Its eyes are really beautiful, from grey to Heart Stone red, making a big contrast with its body. On rare occasions the eyes acquire Winestone like tones, making it look really beauty and less fierce. The female is slightly bigger than male, reaching the awesome one ped and two fore one palmspan from the ears to the paw and three peds one palmspan and from the snout to the tail.
The paws have little hairs that prevent the cold snow and ice reach the skin, and good claws that let this creature pierce ice and snow to never lose balance and skid.

Special Abilities.
The Xazure Wolves have awesome speed and strength, given both by its big and powerful muscles and hollow but tough bones. Its personality makes it a perfect riding beast, it is really docile and will obey its master’s commands, yet it needs a taming process, but due to its territory is relatively uncommon to see one in southern places, the movement of this beast to the south is rare and though the creature will tolerate the new weather its life span will be drastically reduced. Its longevity can be counted as a special ability, since is one of the few species that pass the 100 years of life, one man of the Himiko tribe affirms that his past Xazure Wolf had passed from father to son during at least three generations, leading us to believe the wolf was about three hundred years old more or less. While other man told us his experience, saying that he traveled with his father and with one of this wolves to the south for some business, and that the wolf died around the age of one hundred and fifty years, making the researchers think that; in southern lands its longevity is reduced to a half. 
Good swimmers by nature, these wolves are used to move in the frost waters of the north lands, making them better suited for watery territories than  horses.
To be able to swim in this cold conditions, its fur is waterproof, to prevent the water from coming in contact with the skin, and even if the water does reach it the cold will be stopped by the thick cold-isolating skin.
Of course the paw is adapted to walk over the snow, with little hairs that prevent it from touching the cold ice, and claws that let the creature to pierce ice and hardened snow to not skid.

Territory.
The Ice Lands and the Peninsula of Iol are the home for this hunting beast that feeds mostly on Thunderfeet and Grey Hart, both animals located on the north, also the hrugchuck grass is on the menu and is of the few plants that help it keep warm. The southern places you can see one wild Xazure Wolf is around the city of Aeidin, this creatures rarely roam southern than this city.

Habitat/Behavior.
This creature can be seen usually wandering in packs, hunting preys like Grey Hart deer (closely related to the White Hart, just more aggressive) Or the amazing titan of north lands, the Thunderfeets. These beasts will battle only for the right to mate; otherwise they will be relatively pacific creatures that wander around in search of food and shelter, although they won’t attack a human on sight, they will consider it a good food if hungry; if not hungry they will simply drift away. When tamed the personality of these beasts can be resumed as loyal and docile, though this does not means anyone is out of danger if it does not know how to tame and how to give orders to the Xazure wolf. The big problem comes on how to tame such a big beast, the taming is made by picking a cub shortly after it leaves the mother, and of course giving it food and good treatments to earn its trust and establish a bound that will pass over generation, allowing elders pass their wolf to the next generations, and even to their friends, since the newly tamed wolf will learn to live with the people closely related to its master as if they where its pack.

Diet
Every single thing over this world can be crushed and dissolved by the powerful jaws, their favorite prey is the Grey Hart deer, provably because is far easier to hunt one of this than one Thunderfoot. The most common food is whatever steps on their way while hungry; this makes them sometimes dangerous to some species like the humans. 
The Xazure Wolf can pass some days without eat, and when it hunts something it will feast on it until it is bloated. A good diet will keep it healthy, that is why not everyone can have these wolves, not everyone can pay for the large amounts of food these wolves need. Although this problem was solved long ago by the Ice Tribes men, having a domesticated pack that is allowed to hunt on their own once or twice a week, the wolves will be gone during two or sometimes more days, but will return to their masters by the bound formed between them, this bound can be so strong that these wolves will bring something to the Tribe, usually a leg or a good piece of meat. 

Mating
No one can say for sure how the mating rituals are after the fights, because this wolf will hide inside a cave, or dig a big hole and cover it with snow and then mate, tough we do know that the first part of mating rituals comes in the fight, where two males will fight for the female. Their fights are not that savage, having such sturdy bones and big muscles they solve their problem by pushing the opponent with the head, if the opponent passes certain distance it will lose and leave the area for the winner.
After one year the cubs will born, the size of the new born cubs is slightly bigger than a fore, and will grow really quickly, reaching the ped in less than a year, then, in the next nine years will grow slowly, reaching the adulthood at the ten years. The cubs are born with a single tail that splits into the three tails in the first five years of life, and the fur is more white or grey to camouflage better in the snow. The cubs are easy prey for some other species that will take them, yet the pack really protects the cubs and isn’t a preferred food of many predators for this.
This wolf has a really long life span; the elders are around 300 years. This is compensated due to the fact that it can only mate every twenty years, and will give birth around 1 to 2 cubs maximum. 

Common Sickness:
In the wild this creature can get sick with easy, getting infections in the skin and the paws, like fur fungi, that consist of a class of mushroom that parasites the fur. Its fangs are sturdy as their bones, but can be affected and will darken if their diet in grass is low, also they will bleed with easy and hurts will take longer to close when they have not eat this grass for long periods of time. Is strongly recommended to check that its diet is balanced between meat and plants to prevent some sickness. Also washing and grooming its fur prevents the formation of skin sickness. The fangs can be cleaned with a salt rock to prevent the formation of black spots that can lead to rotting of the fang.
Unfortunately these diseases kill around 4 of 10 of these wolves in wild state, making it hard to survive.
A bad diet will conduce to weakness, and will leave the wolf with a predisposition to get sick, so having one isn’t an easy work.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2006, 06:08:58 by so orril miesefer » Logged

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Zellquor Astrain

So then... What were we talking about?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2006, 14:41:56 »

I like this. Very interesting animal. You might have to do an article about the White Heart.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2006, 14:46:37 by Zellquor Astrain » Logged

OH MY GOD!!! IT'S A RARE MONSTER!!!! IT'S GOING TO KILL ME!!!!! THIS IS SO GREAT!!!! THEY EXIST............. RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2006, 15:16:00 »

Yea I know, though I prefer to leave the White Heart for someone else since it wasn't my idea, I mention it to have an inter articles referense (and a food chain).

Thanks you for the coment.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2006, 19:31:00 »

ROFL I saw the entry title, and i immediately went  "Oh Gods... Orril is back"...Then i looked at the author, and people started wondering why i was laughing like that  :D

you will ahve to tell us more about the White Heart,since for all i know now, it might be a molusk....
I see you found the spellchecker though :P now if only we can add a grammar check to that :)

300 years is a bit to long imho, and the favored mount of santharia is the horse. you might get away with it if you make it the main mount of northern sarvonia instead..
« Last Edit: 12 November 2006, 19:35:16 by Miraran Tehuriden » Logged

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2006, 19:40:28 »

We also have a somewhat similar concept in the warg.  Perhaps it could be less wolf-like? 

Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 November 2006, 03:00:10 »

Mira, Orril has no obligation to tell us about the White Hart(as in the dear not the organ  ;) ) The entry was proposed FOREVER ago, is mentioned in countless entries already(particularly the hunting dogs) and should be addressed completely separately.  If one is so interested in it, I believe it contains a blurb in the Zeipheryn(sp?) hunting hound entry.  If Orril wants to write the entry, thats up to him, otherwise I think making a reference would be fine.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 13 November 2006, 06:02:17 »

Ah, the White HART :P.. nevermind then..(although replacing it with "The White Heart deer" or somethig like that might be usefull.)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2006, 06:18:28 »

@Drasil: it wouldn't hurt to mention, that it is a deer though.

Hello Orril, seems you have a weakness for wolfs?

You have improved a lot with your writing skills till your very first post here....

A few remarks to your wolf.

„the soft fur keeps the wolf hot, so it can move in the cold climates of the north lands, but can let the heat escape when needed, allowing this beast to move trough template and hot climates“
Isn‘t it a bit of a wonder wolf? Can stand very colds and hot climates? I would say, that‘s a bit imbalanced.

What I have problems with are your „superlatives“ and territory.

„This is the biggest of all the wolves“
What if somebody else wants to describe a even bigger wolf? No need to call it the biggest, just mention its size.

„The Azure Wolf has been chosen since centuries ago as a preferred war mount „

Nothing is reported or known of this wolf so far in Santharia. We can‘t rewrite the history to include your blue wolf in such a well described territory. See other comment.

Territory:
„All over Santharia, except the desert parts are home of this big wolf, tough its origins are probably the big white plains of the northlands or the heights of the mountains between the north and the Santhala Kingdom.“

Orril, that doesn‘t work, blue wolves don‘t fit in Southern Santharia as blue saurians didn‘t fit. Why not restrict it to parts of Northern Sarvonia? Not even the Kuglimz can use it.
Maybe it is a riding animal of the Icetribes? There we have the blue grass and the blue big cat (forgot name, Pikel entry), there it would fit well.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2006, 06:33:12 »

We also have a somewhat similar concept in the warg.  Perhaps it could be less wolf-like? 

Not to be rude Mina but...
O_o paint it in your mind and tell me if it still looks somewhat to a common wolf? It might look similar, but when in your life have you seen a wolf azure, with three tails and a mane? not to forget that it is really big... maybe a lost parent of the wargs...

ROFL I saw the entry title, and i immediately went  "Oh Gods... Orril is back"...Then i looked at the author, and people started wondering why i was laughing like that  :D

you will have to tell us more about the White Heart,since for all i know now, it might be a mollusk....
I see you found the spellchecker though :P now if only we can add a grammar check to that :)

300 years is a bit to long IMHO, and the favored mount of santharia is the horse. you might get away with it if you make it the main mount of northern sarvonia instead..

Yea I wonder how you managed to know I was the author... LOL

300 years is a good number taking in account is really hard for a wild one to reach that age, yea, forgot the fact that horse is the favorite... made it at midnight and yet I managed to have something somewhat decent lol Is a good idea to make it the preferred of northern savornia.

@ Drasil: CONGRATS DEAR FRIEND!!! you're now a mod and you can go into that door where I can't yet...

Wanna see the face of Talia when she reads this entry. *picks a photographic camera and waits*

O_o I was about to post this and Talia posted lol

Yea, I will all the changes you suggested Talia, for me they seem fine and will help me get a more suitable territory for this. It can tolerate template weather (like the weather we have in the south parts of Canada and north and bit of center of USA) But will perish in few days in a desert land. (As fact I took this looking my studies of wolves, none I know can live in hot places or seashores...)

Thanks you people I missed your comments a lot.

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2006, 06:49:04 »

BTW, in the proposed entry thread say is the "White Heart" so I piked it like that lol (didn't knew Hart existed as a word)

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2006, 06:56:47 »

Well, first you say "paint it in your mind and tell me if it still looks somewhat to a common wolf?", then you say "It might look similar,".  :P

Yes, it does seem to look just like a wolf, except for the relatively minor differences you state.  Anyway, my point was that the idea of a giant riding wolf already exists in the form of the warg, so perhaps you might want something even more different. 

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2006, 07:09:23 »

"She stood at 2 peds in height and 3 peds in length" <--- Warg entry.

That's bigger by 1 ped

"Wargs are covered with medium length coarse black and gray hair"

Quiet different from the fur of my wolf.

"Compared to a typical wolf a Warg's snout looks a little odd on its face, as it seems too big for the rest of the head."

This wolf have a common face lol

"It is filled with large razor sharp teeth"

What makes it exclusively carnivore.

"At the end of the snout a pointed nose is placed - similar to rats - which gives this beast an incredible sense of smell."

Well, definitely my wolf doesn't looks like a rat... and has a common for wolves sense of smell...

"Furthermore they have black-flecked yellow eyes that show a feral intelligence."

Knew something wasn't right, need to mention that this wolf have grey to palid blue eyes...

"Their coloring also tends to lean more toward darker gray and mostly black."

Sure this is a big difference...

Mina, isn't to be rude, but if we will keep only 1 think of every specie then we must get ride of the thousand horses we have, or the rats, or the cats... Look the bestiary, wolves are a minority and I do really think that the warg and this look really different, the only relation I could find was the basic shape of the body, and that would make ashmarilian unnecessary cause is similar to the Mithral. We must recognize that in a genere (Canis, equus etc.) appear hundreds of species that share some characteristics, but that have some big differences (color, behavior, number of tails, mane...) and we shouldn't restrict new species only for that, again, look how many horses we have, yet we only would have 2 riding wolves...

Thanks for he comment, if you can suggest me something that would make it look less similar to the other wolves we already have please tell me. 
« Last Edit: 13 November 2006, 11:52:57 by so orril miesefer » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2006, 13:02:48 »

Orril, please see my comments regarding Xera's super-healing fruit on man-eating plants.

http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,11009.msg128258/topicseen.html#new

Please avoid creating anything which contains a superlative.  It's rude to both past and future developers/researchers/compendiumists, not to mention amateurish and self-centred.

If you could generally 'tone down' your wolf, and restrict it to a realistic climate, the idea has merit.  Also, if you'd like a few more differences, why not give it fetlocks (rather than three tails) which extend the length of its legs, allowing it to curl comfortably up in the deepest snow (like an Earthen husky with its nose under its tail)?  How about incisors that overlap the lip, like a short version of a sabertooth cat's, giving it a permanently menacing snarl?  Tufted ears, like a bobcat's?  Enlarged pads with short bristles, giving it purchase on drifting snow and ice alike?

You might also describe what the tack would be like for such a riding beast.  How do you saddle it and bridle it adequately?  Wolves run very differently from horses; how might you adapt to that gait?  What modifications might you need?  What special holsters for the tribe's weapons could be added?  And what sort of leather or hide is it made from?

Just a few things to think about before you proceed...

« Last Edit: 13 November 2006, 13:09:40 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2006, 22:18:40 »

The Azure Wolf has been chosen since centuries ago as a preferred war mount in the northlands by its awesome speed and strength, both given by its big and powerful muscles and hollow but sturdy bones. It can pass with easy horses, and a tackle from it can be fatal if not attended quickly. Its personality makes it a perfect riding beast, it is really docile and will obey its master commands, but is a brave fighter that will take down any opponent that dares to defy or attempts to hurt its master. Its longevity can be counted as a special ability, since is one of the few species that pass the 100 years of life, getting an average of 300 years of life if domesticated.

So why did the orcs domesticate wargs then? They would be the first to use these instead of wargs if they are so easy to tame and are such quality mounts, so why didn't they? I glanced over the entry and it seemed to be a lot like a warg, just a bit different. And then I'm talking about the concept of a giant riding wolf, not how it looks.

This is among the bigger wolves, reaching the ped and palmspan from the tip of its pointy ears to the base of its paw

Wouldn't this be too small to ride on? Wargs (average 1,3 peds in height) are about the right size for the Rhom-Oc and those only stand around 1,5 peds. The Losh-Oc (average around 1,7 peds, but very muscular) had to breed a larger specie (warwargs) before they could ride them.
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2006, 02:50:22 »

@ Judith: Let me see which of the things you propose me goes more with this beast, I have an idea of it and would like to keep it as close as I can to my idea... Maybe I paint it and show it here so the people get an idea of what I'm thinking...

@ Marvin: Need to recheck measures now that you say that, in my whole life I have seen a horse, and searching the internet for info about the size of them wasn't really good... Also, you say the concept we already have, we also have the concept of a dragon, and the concept of a horse and cat and... you understand, if we were to limit to only 1 thing that represents that concept this would be quiet boring and unnatural, 'cause nature has a butterfly doesn't means that's the only way butterflies will look, 'cause nature has 1 kind of horse that doesn't means all horses will be the same exactly, and because nature has a wolf that doesn't means that the Arctic wolves are the same as the Mexican wolves. My point is why not have 2, not even 5 or 6, just 2 things that have the same concept but look and behave in different ways.

Now, your questions are valid ones, my answer would be that orcs would look for challenges, they have the temper of fire and would say "An azure wolf? that's for Weak ones" Azure wolves are planed for more "refined" races, that wouldn't tame a warg, but would look for the Azure wolf to match it saying "yea, my azure wolf doesn't has a great olfactory sense, but is more elegant than your warg" and yea, I think in a fight a warg would win, because they are much more vicious than an Azure Wolf.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.