Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Team Project I: Operation "Two Sans Worth"  (Read 5617 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 20 December 2006, 04:47:58 »

I've already put this on the Forum anncouncement page, but in case you've missed that, I'd like to repeat it here:

Well, you might have asked yourself this question already several times before: What precisely are Santharian sans worth? We'll try now to get to the bottom of this and start a new group project, with the intention to determine this issue and get the results finally on the site. Operation "Two Sans Worth" is the first team project of its kind, of which we plan more in case we can successfully conclude this one. The idea behind team projects is that we try to focus on one specific issue while we put other major issues on the backburner - until this specific issue is resolved. We collate information for such a project, clarify important details by discussing the problems, make decisions and eventually prepare stuff for the site - be part of it! Operation "Two Sans Worth" starts right here!

As you can see, this is a first experimental team project, where we need to come to a conclusion on the issue how much Santharian money is really worth. We've already started a discussion about that, and now we'll see to make something concrete out of it.

Part of what we need to do here is gathering information from various sides and prepare a realistic synopsis and finally a proposal on how much a san is really worth in relation to goods and Earthen currency. Some people could put together lists which prices we'd need (define categories, specific objects), then someone needs to think about where to put it all on the site and how precisely that should be achieved etc. - So lots of work to do, let's get started!
« Last Edit: 20 December 2006, 05:15:12 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2006, 05:12:49 »

A group project sounds great! Like the history development we did this summer, I think it's an excellent idea!  thumbup
so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2006, 06:51:39 »

leave stones for me please, I'll make a list of them and prices based on the actual currency.

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2006, 08:56:19 »

I'll expand on - how should I call it - the 'market' items list?

Hey, we need a list of lists... sort of a sign-up sheet.  Is it possible to do that in a new post?  How are we going to keep this all organized?  Art, I've got a suggestion for you! :idea

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make a NEW FORUM - and call it the TEAM PROJECT FORUM.   Put the following sticky topics at the top:

-Team Project I: Operation Two Sans Worth - include this thread as an introduction
- Master Items List - using my list as a starting point (after I sort it into groups rather than simply alphabetically)
- Sign-up Roster - like the Mentor/Apprentice list, where you make the initial post and edit it as people sign up in posts below (Judy - market items  Orril - stones and minerals  Artemis - horses.... etc. etc.)
- Resources and References - links or quoted texts specifically for use in developing the project, such as the Fief material, or illustrations/charts from elsewhere on the Web

Let regular posts, questions, ideas, proposals, and individual submissions all accumulate as their own threads beneath those stickies, just as in a regular forum.  I can go through the individual sections and collate them into the Master List when it's done. 

AND... here's a bit of a drastic suggestion, but see what you think... make it like the Bellringing Forum and give everyone in the Team Project Two Sans Worth mod rights, so that we can do the collation as necessary.  I think it would demonstrate the kind of trust and responsibility necessary to work together (everyone should back up their own submissions, if not their own posts, on their own computers for safety's sake as a rule anyhow).

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

so orril miesefer
Aspiring Member

Sky tower Apprentice.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2006, 09:04:45 »

I like Judith idea, otherwise this would provably end made a mess...

What's my magic? is my treasure, What's my god? is my freedom, my law? the strenght and the wind, my mother country is the sky.--- So Orril, Sky Tower apprentice
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2006, 09:35:18 »

well I guess I'll end up being the only one opposed.  While this is great and idealistic in all, there is NO way its ever gonna function smoothly, especially the sign up for XWZ list.  Multiple people wanna do the same thing.  To use an example, Mina, Orril, Twen and I all want to do Elven magic.  Now what happens if someone less qualified, such as me or Orril, signs up first?  Well then qualified Mina can't do anything about it without insulting either me or orril.  Human nature prevents something like that from happening, as seen in the flaws of communism and stuff.  People are greedy and...well...for the lack of a better word..assholes when it comes to things they want and competition.  Now I am sure an idealistic person will st ate "Drasil, we are at the Santharian Dream, we all treat each other with respect and never quarrel."  One word...WRONG!  Santharia functions like a normal society.  As much as we hate to admit it and pretend to be pleasant on the outside, there is still hatred, gossip and competition.  People like thier own ideas, and interest will definatly overlap.  So, basically, in regard to part three, unlike Orril states, it will make more of a mess.

As for Resources and References...we already have a COMPLETE forum dedicated to it.  Making it in two places isn't going to increase activity noticeably.

I'm sorry if this insults Judith, but honestly, I don't think the system will work at all.  It seems like an excuse to quarrel and just creates more clutter.
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2006, 12:18:31 »

I'm not insulted, Drasil, because it's obvious you haven't understood my suggestion at all.

I'm not proposing reorganizing the entire board.   We already have the entire board very nicely designed around helping individuals find the information, editing assistance, and templates that they need to write their individually-designed entries....   I'm proposing to add one more forum to the board which would be reserved for TEAM projects - and specifically for the 'Two San's Worth' project.

This proposed forum would be a way of organizing whatever specific project comes along, to provide focus and a way of keeping track - an efficiency tool, nothing more.  (For those older members who recall the era of 'Sorren', similar to the Game Development Forum that was active for a while...) 

The Sign-Up List is NOT a general replacement for the Bellringing thread OR the Development Schedules thread; it is a little list which allows people to reserve the different AREAS OF THE ECONOMY upon which they would like to work for the "Two Sans Worth" project only.   "Elven Magic", as far as I know, is not a commodity bought and sold in the markets, so it does not enter into this discussion at all.

Thus:     "Judy - Foodstuffs" in the Sign-Up List means "Bard Judith will take responsibility for researching and making a list of foodstuffs commonly available in the New Santhala marketplace - begin assigning some reasonable values to them - and will post that list to a thread called 'ECONOMY - Foodstuffs'. "

Comments and critiques would then be posted in that thread as to any other submission/concept and would be added and incorporated into the first post as they come in. 

Let's say that Mira posts:  "Hey, Judith - don't forget dry goods such as Riz and Golden Rain.... and can you take out all the livestock, because that should be a separate list..." and then Marvin posts following "Yeah, I'd like to work on pricing the livestock, please..."

I'd would edit my list to reflect that and answer Marvin:  "NP, it's done - please go ahead and reserve "Livestock" in the Signup Thread, Marvin!"   

Marvin would post:  "I'd like to do Livestock" as requested, and then go over the Compendium looking for animals that would be likely to be bought and sold, and attempt to come up with realistic valuations of them, going by their respective rarity, ease of transport, length of breeding time, and usage.  He would post his initial list as a thread entitled "ECONOMY - Livestock" and accept comments and critiques from everyone else.

The Resources THREAD (not a forum) which I proposed should actually be called "SANTHARIAN ECONOMY - Resources" and contain ONLY specific links or quotations that would assist us in designing the economic structures for the Santharian Kingdom.  It should not duplicate the general resources already in the existing Resources Forum.

Eventually, when all the various areas of the economy have been covered, and we've all had a chance to look at each others' work, revise and comment and generally pat ourselves on the back for the great job we've done, all the FIRST POSTS of all the Economy threads will be collated together into one Master List which will give us a general broad range of Santharian prices and economic balance.

Goodness knows, we don't need any further excuses to quarrel, so I hope that clarifies my proposal for you, or any other confused individuals.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2006, 15:56:54 »

eh.. ok, I know this sounds old by now, but why not use skype and have realtime group discussions where others can join in and hav their say? "Signing up", and "tasks lists" and dividing developers and such don't really improve team spirit in my opinion. I realize and understand there are people who rather WRITE then talk or draw, and I respect that, but I'm not one of them, so my preference would always be a direct group chat in such cases. Then whatever comes out of that discussion can be written down, and commented upon later on the forum by others. I simply dislike organizing creative happenings like Santharian development too much, but that's my anarchistic spirit ;)

Of course, Judy's idea of the project forum is the perfect supplement for my suggestion above, as it'd be the place to put your comments and develop the rough "skype brainstorming" ideas there.

And yes, I realize it would mean organizational issues (when to hold the chat and who can(not) attend) etc, but once it's agreed on, such session will produce results much faster then a forum conversation. Also, people are more likely to name ideas when talking, then when writing, and more (crazy?) ideas tend to help others to think of new creative solutions/ideas. Once you start writing, you throw out the crazy stuff, and leave one or two ideas you think are best, thus loosing precious interesting material in the process I think.

Wanderer

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2006, 17:28:18 »

Now that sounds like a great idea. Although you should try to make multiple rooms and have a room master to prevent chaos when everyone starts talking at the same time :)

War doesn't determine who's right. Just who's left
Site wide search, Measures(Converter)
Development: Introduction
Want to roleplay?: RPG Forum, Character creation, FAQ, Restrictions
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2006, 21:00:22 »

Wanderer, if you use the Java client on the IRC you can engage in person to person w/o other people conversations. It's easier that way.

Brillient idea, though i'd love to try to take care of some of the more... odball should it be said? Non-allcoholic beverages, snacks, random trinkets... that sort of thing. root beer!
« Last Edit: 20 December 2006, 21:02:40 by Niccoli » Logged

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Wanderer

Clueless

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2006, 21:04:04 »

i thought we were talking teamspeak / skype and other voice chat, since Faugar was talking about "Also, people are more likely to name ideas when talking, then when writing" :)
And i have my own IRC client, no need for the Java version.

cheers :)

War doesn't determine who's right. Just who's left
Site wide search, Measures(Converter)
Development: Introduction
Want to roleplay?: RPG Forum, Character creation, FAQ, Restrictions
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2006, 21:13:47 »

just pointing it out. Teamspeak is great, but it's a question of "how many people speak X language in an understandible manner" and how many people actually have a microphone...

-Salvor Hardin
Marvin Cerambit
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2006, 23:40:42 »

Languages shouldn't be the problem for me, but *has no micophone*
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2006, 23:48:22 »

No, that isn't a problem either, for every old dell has a microphon and it works, though maybe not as well as with a headset. You might have to dive under your desk and put the cable in for skype, but that is all.

We use it quite frequently - and as i said, my husband has a really old dell notebook which will hopefully  die soon - and he chats quite often only using the internal microphon.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2006, 02:20:29 »

mine's new, I don't have a mic (much to the chagrin of several persons I know) so i'd be stuck typing... :(

-Salvor Hardin
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 42
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.