Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Golden Flower  (Read 9300 times)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 05 April 2007, 12:17:01 »

Categorization
Flowers

Overview

The flower must be one of the most intriguing plants of Caelreth. Nobody knows how this flower came to be, save the Sarvonian Elves who believed that Seyella granted this fair flower to the world of mortals.

Golden flower is its name in the tongue of men. Glásáj'merín to the fair tongue of the Elves and many more names were given to the flower in other foreign tongues.

It is also very rare that many doubt that it ever existed, that its detailed description came from an over imaginative mind. Many sought for the flower and most if not all, came back empty-handed.

Appearance

Its roots are bronze in color but with a little shade of gold. They are like tiny threads only finer and smoother. Its texture is as smooth as silk and it stays not deep in the ground but near the surface making the plant easy to pull.

The stem's color is like gold that has tarnished over the course of time but it still shines the beauty that it held before. In it, grows fine hairs like a horse's mane but smaller. It stands about seven nailsbreadths and three grains in height.

The petals of the flower are like precious gold in color. They are leaf-shaped and pointed at the end like Elven ears. Eleven petals are present in every flower and they overlap each other to form a circle. They are about three nailsbreadths and four grains in length and two nailsbreadths in width.

On the middle of the eleven petals, lays the small leaves of the flower. In the middle of the small leaves, a small gem-like object is present. It is called "Mód'miés" by the Elves but men call it, "The Earth Star". It shines like the stars on the sky only dimmer and less brilliant but it is no less magnificent than the greatest stars. It is like the diamond, only that it cannot be cut, even by using another mód'miés to cut it. Its shape is like that of a tear, only golden in color and has many edges.

Reproduction

Not much is known on how this flower increases in number. Many researches, especially from Ximax concluded that the flower is like the Wizardleaf, only that the flower grows in places where great sorrow and great despair are found.

Some lucky people have seen the flower's growth. They say that it takes a few blinks to grow but after the flower rises to its full glory, the people who watched it notices that many hours have passed since then.

Territory:
The flower favours no continent nor weather. It is abundant in places that are cold, silent, and dark. It also grows on places where there are recent wars, tragedies, disasters, and deaths like the Mushroom of Querpur.

Usages
The flower rekindles lost hope to those who sees it. Ximaxian mages studied it and concluded that the flower has the natural ability to increase the influence of the fire ounía in the car'all and makes hope (one property of fire) more dominant than the other.

The "Earth Star" is considered to be a priceless jewel. Those who wears it will shine the beauty of the Light Elves. It is sought by many women especially princesses and queens but also sought by men to give as a precious gift to the woman they love. Thieves had also taken interest on this flower as well, because its price in the market will surely turn someone into a "rich man".

It also grants its bearer an unimaginable luck but only if the whole flower is intact save the petals which will fall in every luck that was granted to the bearer. A shield would stand like as if it was made out of mithril against swords and spear. A spell will never fail nor will it ever backfire. A blind can shoot an arrow with great accuracy. Arrows will miss the bearer of the flower regardless of the skill of the archer that shoots them. Harm will never hinder the bearer of the flower for the favour of destiny is upon him or her. This is one of the main reasons why the flower is also sought by many people, specially those who wish to engage in a dangerous quest.

Before using the flower's greatest gift, a warning must be heed. For in every luck that it grants, a petal will wither and fall. Bad luck will soon come around the bearer. The great warning was given by a mage who studied the flower's lore. He claims that he was able to find one flower when he was walking in a cemetery of warriors that was involved in a recent war. He gave this to his wife and many things she gained while she is in possesion of the flower. One by one, the petal starts to fall and on one night, the wizard found the dead flower next to his wife's body, he wrote a short article about it, titled, "The Golden Curse" and near the end of the article, this line was written:

"When all petals had fallen save one which is the eleventh. The bearer must be wary for his life will also come to an end."

Myth/Lore

The elves say that the flower is hope during dark hours because it only appears in areas that are filled with much grief, pain, despair, and sorrow.

A tale of a woman that was lost in the swamp became one of the great stories about this flower's creation:

A woman was running away from her village. Running away from the screams of her people, the war cries of the orcs attacking her village, the fire that slowly consumes her home and the orcs that are hunting her.

She ran away never looking back. Feeling only fear and great despair. She stops at a swamp for she was tired and she heard no orcs' footsteps behind her. She embraced her knees and cried. She said to the sky, "What ill-fate has befallen upon my village. What hast thy done to deserve this? Seyella, Goddess of Destiny have do not be cruel to us!"

She did not notice the setting or the rising of the sun for it was always dark there. The thick mist covers the swamp and only little light could pass through. The woods were also silent. No movements came from their leaves or branches. In that place, she fell asleep for darkness and great despair took her.

When she awoke, she noticed where she was. She looked for a way back but she could see none. She wandered the forest but to no avail, she came back to where she started. Fear took her and she kneeled down and prayed to her Goddess, Seyella.

"Seyella my Goddess. Please forgive thy servant for thy servant's word were ill. Let my doom pass for now and let death take me when I reach my home. Seyella, Goddess of Fate, let thy servant reach thy home." she repeated seven times until she heard a faint voice speaking of a short rhyme:

"Seek for the star that has fallen to earth,
 Seek for the flower unfound.
 Seek not and your life shall be claimed by the swamp,
 Seek not and your fate shall be bound."

At the corner of her eyes, she saw a dim light. She wiped her tears and went towards the light. "Have a star fallen?" , she asked herself. When she reached the source of the light, she was amazed at the sight of a fair flower sprouting on the ground in front of her. She waited for the flower to grow to its full glory and then she took it.

Hope filled her heart and she began to wander once more but now she walked a straight path. She saw a bright light at the end of her path. She hurried to towards the light but her foot hit a rock but she did not fall nor was she wounded. "It is the sun!" she said.  She looks towards her left and she saw her village being rebuilt by the villagers that escaped the orc-raid. She went to them and told them her story in the swamp. After telling them, she collapsed with a smile on her face and darkness took her. And the flower died with her.

Origins
It is believed that the young woman's prayer brought the flower to existence. When her words of sorrow reached Seyella's heart, the mighty Goddess created the magnificent plant to show her that fate is not always cruel for not all of Ava's dream are corrupted by Coor's malice. Seyella hallowed the flower so that no harm may come to its bearer but she also put a curse, to remind the bearer that Coor's dreadful malice have corrupted the dream of the mighty Goddess.

I have found similar entries like mine: The wizardleaf and the Mushrooms of Querpur!
« Last Edit: 30 August 2007, 01:12:03 by Helvíl Ypherén » Logged

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Mirmec Rethindor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2007, 13:57:20 »

i think this is a good start and a great idea. However aside from the word Caelereth, there is hardly anything in this description to tie in the flower into the legend and lore of the Santharian dream.

Maybe you can add in say certain animals that graze on it? Or noted sightings of it near famous towns or what not. Some of the people's submissions on flowers is very technical talking about the stalk and the roots and how it propogates etc.. i'm not sure if that is your style but the more detail the better.

anyway its a good start.

~~Voice of music's heart wrung from the wood.~~
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2007, 16:15:17 »

I have to repeat Mirmec:  a good start and a nice idea.   However, I think the flower concept needs toning down a notch so that it's not so full of superlatives (god-moding, they call it over on the RPG board!).   It shouldn't be a miracle cure for everything, in other words.   

You could use some further description, whether technical or otherwise, about the flower.  Right now it's still pretty generic.   What are the shape of the petals, and about how long are they?  Is the whole flower no larger than a thumbnail, or is it more like the size of a man's hand (on a very short stem)?  Is there one flower per stem, or many buds on a single bush?  Please help us to envision it as clearly as if there were a picture in front of us.  'flawless' does not convey enough about the shape, colour, texture, and design, so far.

May I be permitted to help with the poem a little?   It's also a good start but needs just a bit of tweaking....

As you see, I stayed very close to your wording and concept, but rearranged the lines so that they scanned and rhymed more strongly.  Hope you don't mind that?

Love the myth/lore, by the way - especially the connection with the Avequis!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2007, 21:01:45 »

Yes it shouldnt cure everything(actually I think we had this problem with somebodys carnivourous plant) anyways check sentence structure and also the spelling of certain Santharian words like Aeruillin, anyways add more detail such as how does it smell and stuff like that. But beautiful first entry and welcom to Santharia. grin

Ps, Nice poem grin

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 April 2007, 04:28:30 »

Bard Judith I do not mind creative criticism and have taken your advice and the advice of the people who posted thier thoughts about my entry. Really sorry but I like your edition.
Thank you everyone for giving time

But if anyone suggests that Bard Judith's version of the poem is better than mine (Which is true) I would be glad to change it :)
« Last Edit: 06 April 2007, 16:38:28 by Shansi » Logged

My Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2007, 04:37:38 »

"Although I cannot change the poem since I actually dont know why. "

Huh?  huh

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
colossuem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2007, 20:37:44 »

I do think you should post Bard Judiths poem its basically the exact same thing with just about 4 words added in. And to me it sounds like your avoiding her recommendations but thats just my opinion.

Lord of the Rings Quote-"All that is gold does not glitter,not all who wander are lost,the old that is strong does not wither,deep roots are not reached by frost,from the ashes of fire shall be woken,a light from the shadows shall spring,the crownless again shall be king"
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2007, 08:50:11 »

There its done I have changed the poem, sorry wasn't able to do so this last few days due to lack of sleep but yeah theres some errors in the grammar of the poem and Bard Judith's poem version is a lot better than mine. So I guess all I need now is some few recommendations about the post and I hope this entry will be approved :) . And oh yeah I also changed the usages, changing the plant's abilities and turn them down a bit.

My Development Schedule
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2007, 18:59:36 »

It is quite all right, Shansi:  please understand that we are all here to help and support each other.   Comments and editing suggestions here are welcome from everyone (new and old members alike).  My suggestions were merely that - suggestions which might make the poem...your poem....flow more smoothly - not dictates from a superior perspective!    If you like the way the second version sounds, please feel free to use it!

Most people who take the time to comment do so out of a body of knowledge and familiarity with the subject, or at least a personal interest; it's considered courteous to acknowledge each comment, integrate the relevant corrections, and respond with reasoned argument for any suggestions which don't fit your original concept or stem from a misreading of your concept.    Hope that gives you something to work with as you continue to revise and add to this entry.

Specifically, I'd say you still need some more volume; it's excessively short and not really detailed enough.  Please read through some randomly selected Herbarium entries (approved entries on the site, that is, not entries here in the forum.  See www.santharia.com and click the blue rose icon...) for more ideas on how to add interest and detail!

Good luck - I'll keep checking back, so if you'd like more critique and suggestions just IM me.

Regards from the bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2007, 06:28:51 »

Well I thought of adding more details but the flower is quite rare and not many has been able to study it. Most of the information came only from one source, the young woman who picked the flowers in the swamp. But if it is really needed well I can add more.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2007, 06:37:13 by Shansi » Logged

My Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2007, 15:06:06 »

The Compendium is an encyclopedia, that contains information on all kinds of topics that are of general interest in our world. Such an encylopedia wouldn't rely on a single source alone, but would try to discuss a topic from various perspectives if there's little known about it. At any rate the plant must have a certain importance and meaning to more people than one, otherwise such a thing couldn't make it into a lexicon, you know. So more details are required in order to give a Compendium entry meaning.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2007, 09:00:25 »

What else or in what particular area should I add more details? Any suggestions??

My Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2007, 14:58:28 »

I suggest to look through other similar entries for some inspiration :)

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2007, 21:47:08 »

READY FOR COMMENTS! I have revised and upated it.

My Development Schedule
Trelstahl
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2007, 12:47:09 »

Hi Shansi,

Interesting plant!  I've made some comments/suggestions for you in yellow, editorial comments in red, and where I've suggested alternate wording, I've crossed out the original text.

The plant still has a number of very powerful usages.  Please see my comments in this section.  Also, nothing about its Territory is mentioned.

Cheers!

Trel.

Categorization
Flowers

Overview

The flower is one of the most intruiging mysteries mystries of Caelreth. Many people looked for it but came back empty-handed. Many researchers studied its lore and all of them failed. No one knows how the flower came to be save the Elves Eves and the Brownies whom both believe that flower was a blessing from their Gods.  To me, it still sounds like the origin of the plant is a myth, and not truly known.

It is called, Nakashi's Gift by the brownies. Golden flower is its name in the tongue of men. Glásáj'merín in the tongue of the Elves. Many names and many myths revolves around this flower.

The Elves believe that Seyella granted this fair fower. The Brownies believe that the Light Horse brought this flower to the world.

Appearance

The flower is perfect and flawless in appearance.   'Perfect' and 'flawless' are very vague and subjective descriptors.  Orcs might think the plant is ugly.  Its roots are bronze in color . The roots are like tiny threads but smooth like silk. They do not go deep in the ground but stay near the surface.

The stem is like gold that has tarnished over the course of time. In its stem, grows fine hairs like a horse's mane but smaller and finer. The stem stands about 1 in height.  You should use Santharian measurements.   There is only one flower per stem and no leaves grows upon it.

The petals of the flower is gold in color like the fiery sun. It shines like a star in the sky. The petals are a half palmspan in length and a half palmspan in width in the base. The 11 petals are leaf-shaped and overlaps each other and on the center of the flower, a gem like object is present.

The gem like object is like a bright star that shines its own light although many researchers believe that its the reflection of the sun but they could not explain why does it shine so brightly during the night.

Gold stem and no leaves.  Since the plant has no means of photosynthesis, this would lead me to believe the plant is parasitic or relies on magic to grow.  When I read further about the gem-like object in the flower's center, I have to think that this is not a plant so much as an item of magic - and a powerful one at that, if it can produce its own light, or reflect enough light to shine like a star.  Organisms can fluoresce at night, but usually with a soft glow.

Reproduction

Not much known about the reproduction of this flower. The elves say that the flower just appears whenever great sorrow is present in that area or a bloody war happened in that place. The flower don't just appear like a ghost but it sprouts from the ground and blooms in a couple of minutes.  Those who see this magnificent appearance of the flower are always bewildered because the plant grows faster than normal plants do.  This seems a bit contradictory.  First you say that the flower just appears, then you indicate it doesn't just appear.  Also, based on what you state here (and in the description above), the elves in the area(s) it is found have observed it enough to know how its root system grows, its life cycle, and the fact that it has a rapid rate of growth.

Should mention the range of the plant in a separate section on Territory

Usages
Its roots can be boiled. The water becomes golden in color and a fragrant smell starts to appear. It is usually used as a rare perfume. The perfume can tame many wild beasts save the dargons for their will cannot be overpowered by a mere flower.

It seems unlikely to me that anyone would learn the perfume could not tame a dragon.  How many people do you think would have the guts to test this?  Despite this, this is a very powerful property, as presumably the perfume could be used to 'tame' a wild boar or a lion.  I think some caution is in order to ensure some balance of properties, despite its rarity.  Perhaps the perfume only works for a day after preparation?

Its stem can be eaten to cure throat aiilments. It does not need preparation and could be eaten directly.

Cool - tone this down to soothing sore throats and you have a neat property that is not too powerful.

Its petals could be used to cure wounds by rubbing the petal to the injured area but it does not create pain even though one is rubbing a petal to an open wound. The wound will heal faster no matter how bad the wound is.

Very powerful property.  I suggest toning this down to a plant that can be used to cure minor wounds.

The gem like object at the center of the flower is used as an ornament. These rare things can be turned into a jewel and anyone who wears it will shine a beauty that is unimaginable and will shine a light far brigther than the light elves.

The whole flower itself is useful. Its bearer becomes lucky at whatever thing she or he does and harm does not come to her/his way. An arrow will miss even if a skilled elf fires it. A sword will shatter before it hits the bearer of the flower. A shield of iron will stand like mithril against swords and arrows.

Many young mages in Ximax greatly desire this flower because of the good luck that it grants to its bearer. A spell will never backfire. A spell will never fail and will always hit its target making it a useful plant for young mages because every spell will surely work.

This is still an extremely powerful plant.  If it is so rare, how would all of these properties be so well-known?  And I expect that if mages in Ximax knew this, they would be working damn hard to propagate such a useful plant.  I suggest revising this section to remove the powers of good luck, shielding, and success at spellcasting.  Also, I suggest changing the entry to read so the plant shines with a faint luminescence, which would be interesting and still make it a valuable plant.

Myth/Lore

The elves say that the flower is hope during dark hours because it only appears in areas that are filled with much grief, pain, despair, and sorrow. The Brownies believe that this flower is the first flower that came to the world when Avequis, the light horse landed on the lands of Caelreth.

A tale of a woman that was lost in the swamp became one of the great myths about this flower:

A woman was running away from her village. Running away from the screams of her people, the war cries of the orcs attacking her village, the fire that slowly consumes her home and the orcs that are hunting her.

She ran away never looking back. Feeling only fear and great despair. She stops at a swamp for she was tired and she heard no orcs' footsteps behind her. She embraced her knees and cried. She said to the sky, "What ill-fate has befallen upon my village. What hast thy done to deserve this? Seyella, Goddess of Destiny have do not be cruel to us!"

She did not notice the setting or the rising of the sun for it was always dark there. The thick mist covers the swamp and only little light could pass through. The woods were also silent. No movements came from their leaves or branches. In that place, she fell asleep for darkness and great despair took her.

When she awoke, she noticed where she was. She looked for a way back but she could see none. She wandered the forest but to no avail, she came back to where she started. Fear took her and she kneeled down and prayed to her Goddess, Seyella.

"Seyella my Goddess. Please forgive thy servant for thy servant's word were ill. Let my doom pass for now and let death take me when I reach my home. Seyella, Goddess of Fate, let they servant reach thy home." she repeated seven times until she heard a faint voice speaking of a short rhyme:

At the corner of her eyes, she saw a dim light. She wiped her tears and went towards the light. "Have a star fallen?" she asked said to herself. When she reached the source of the light, she was amazed at the sight of a . A fair flower sprouting on the ground in front of her. She waited for the flower to grow to its full glory and then she took it.

Hope filled her heart and she began to wander once more but now she walked a straight path. She saw a bright light at the end of her path. She hurried to towards the light but her foot hit a rock but she did not fall nor was she wounded. "It is the sun!" she said.  She looks towards her left and she saw her village being rebuilt by the villagers that escaped the orc-raid. She went to them and told them her story in the swamp. After telling them, she collapsed with a smile on her face and darkness took her. And the flower died with her.

Origins
It is believed that the young woman's prayer brought the flower to existence. When her words of sorrow reached Seyella's heart, the mighty Goddess created the magnificent plant to show her that fate is not always cruel for not all of Ava's dream are corrupted by Coor's malice.

To the brownies, it . It came to existence when Avequis, the horse of Nakashi landed on the lands of Caelreth and many flowers grew when Avequis did so but the Golden flower was the first one to appear as if it was an echo of Avequis, galloping in the plains of Caelreth.   This paragraph is a run-on sentence.  I suggest rewriting. 

I have found similar entries like mine: The wizardleaf and the Mushrooms of Querpur!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]