Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Caltharian Dialect and Nomenclature  (Read 9679 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 23 May 2007, 21:04:17 »

CALTHARIANS – speak a dialect of Tharian known as Caltharite –  considered unsophisticated and rustic by other tribes, a pacific clan involved in cloth weaving and dying

Their speech is seen as casual and rather lacking in refinement, as it features slurring, contractions,  dropped articles (such as ‘the’, ‘a’) and some omitted pronouns.  Caltharite often makes a question take the place of a statement, giving them a rather insecure or doubtful tone at times.  However, from a bardic perspective, the dialect is delightfully lilting, as even statements may have the uptone of a question at their end, giving a conversation between two Caltharians the flow of a musical phrase or the lyricism of a shaman’s chant.

"Would'nt've done best, just offer him rug?  Shouldn'ta bartered so tight, m'thinks.”

“You’ve t’be jesting?  Price’s so low, we’ll make no profit as ‘tis, m’lad!”

They also are the tribe which most commonly ‘play’ with language spontaneously, adding syllables onto their sentences simply for the sake of scansion – even in prose.   One might hear a  mother scold her son lovingly as follows:

“Orulio, ‘rulio, what shall we do-lio with naughty little you-lio!”

A vendor in the market may chant: ‘Buy, buy,  my fish-a-rye’, or ‘Step up, sheppup,  fresh bread, ‘s’what I said!”  and similar nonsense to string out his phrases. 

Hypocorisms - nicknames,  short forms or affectionate variations of given names also frequently occur, which can be confusing to the outsider if not familiar with said variations.   For example, “Liovandri”, a lovely feminine name, can occur as ‘Lio’, ‘Liovan’, ‘Vandri’ -  all quite distinguishable in the original name – but also as ‘Liolio’, ‘Vandriani’ (itself seemingly another new name) ‘Vani-ani’ and ‘Lili’ (pronounced ‘Lee-lee’).

Their names tend to be ‘light’ and ‘open-sounding’, with the same sort of lilt as characterizes their speech.   Duples (doubled syllables) create a child-like and somehow joyful effect.   Longer names are preferred as given names but are invariably altered into various hypocorisms (see above) – perhaps the very reason for their preference!

They have produced little written records and their histories are scanty, perhaps by design.  However, they are a rich source of oral transmission; ballads, folk songs, epic tales, and other fascinating items have all been collected by travelling Compendium bards and brought back to be disseminated to the rest of Santharia.

Thanks to Anwulf, for expanding my vocabulary in timely manner the other day!  I've incorporated my new knowledge into this entry - it is to be hoped to good effect...
« Last Edit: 25 February 2009, 04:39:38 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 17:37:56 »

CALTHARIAN MALE NAMES

AmbonCanraladLantharTherthos
AndosCarlinnLanthosThertin
AnianCarvioLinahThosar
ArianChachaliLinanThurlad
ArmbonDaliotinLinnorsaThurtin
ArmuthDaosLinrovandosThurwald
ArttunDawaldLinsonThurwold
ArtunDonasLinsunTosidri
AshandosDribosLoravannlioTundri
AsheenDrinalosianMerthosTunjer
AshvavoDrisosNasoTunor
BasilanEnianNassunTunvioumo
BatinEnwaldarNaswyTymo
BonjoErdossonNismaTynei
BonladErenOistherTyorn
BonladianGantharOrthosUncan
BosartGantoOrthurVando
BoseosGranwaldRabonthanViocarvio
BososGranwysonRasosVonas
BossonGrolantojoRiclanWald
BostoGromoRicunWalda
BunnrathJerenSeramWoldlin
CaldoJeristinSulosWoldthan
CalornJerlinSunneiWyea
CalosthosJerwoldoSuwoldWyjo
CamsunJovanThanjelanWytobon
CamwaldLadoThanunWyvan
CanbonLadornThardosuthar
CandoLadovanTharor
CanianLaloTheramenvio

CALTHARIAN FEMALE NAMES

AladlioElinnajaLoladoShada
AlinnEnnitaeLoshaShadoiana
AllamerroEnnlinnMalinnShalinn
AriouthennEnnmerthurlioMeldaShamada
ArviolinnEnnneivioMelviomeShaunro
CalennEsiMerdositaShawaldah
CaliaEslaMerethShimel
CardaEssaMervaSuna
CareaJameNaiaSurawyo
CarlioJaroNaithanaToia
CaroLavajaNismeUnda
CarwyLiadoethNissaVeldosla
ChaianaLilasiOdaVeliana
ChalaLinnitaOraVella
ChaormaLiomelOrethViomer
DalioricianaLiorathsaOsaViosha
EashaLioshaRovaWycha
EdaLiosiSajaWydosma
EgranianaLiotinnSaroWyenn
ElinnLojaSasanaivaWylo

OK!  I got everything working and reinput syllables - with a few more refinements.  I'm really happy with the look and feel of these names now, as they have a real 'Romany' / gypsy flair - exactly right for our easy-going Caltharians.  "Lado" and "Rova", for example, or 'Drinalosian' and 'Wydosma' if you like something a bit longer...   

Combine these names with the variants as in the post above, and you have lots of possibilities for Caltharian nomenclature!   

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Takór Salenár
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 18:20:23 »

I'm impressed - maybe you could help me (and Gean) with the Shendar, Stratanian etc dialect? I would love to have slightly different dialects for Bardavos, Varcopas and Strata :D

Not now - in the summerholidays. I need Johanna's comp, will be restricted a bit therefore with access time.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2007, 02:45:22 »

Gladly!  By different dialects you mean specifically the nomenclature as we've done for the other tribes, not a separate language, right?   It would be fun to work on that as a mini-team.  Some brainstorming:   I imagine Strata as a pool of cross-fertilization from all over (since it's such a bustling port city) and that would be interesting to reflect in their names and expressions.  Bardavos should of course be rather lyrical and  perhaps a bit 'academic' or even affected? :)   What about Varcopas's unique perspective?         

Something to look forward to for the summer!   We have exams coming up and you must be on the verge of your Italian trip, not?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2007, 04:14:19 »

I notice I'm sooooo behind with commenting and checking things in detail, it's not healthy anymore... lol

Anyway, now on the Caltharian Dialect and Nomenclature: What you have of course is great as always, no doubt about that! :D In order to make language and nomenclature for the Caltharians perfect, the sections should ideally be made similar to the ones we already have (Avennorians, Erpheronians). This means:

What you have here in the post basically deals with Caltharite, and this covers the section "Tribal Language". This could basically go up the way it is now.

The second section "Nomenclature" should ideally give key syllables for males and females (beginnings, endings) - this is so that people who don't have the Name Generator could still construct Caltharian sounding name by using that information. Some names you have posted here can be used as examples there as well. These syllable lists should be accompanied with a sentence or two on construction of names, stressing the key things, according to the implicit rules.

The other things we need to define is: Are there secondary names for the Caltharians, and if so, how are they constructed. Are there special titles? How are they written? Attached to names like "MacCormick, with prefixes, suffixes? How can we make them different from other tribes to give them an own character? Erpheronians and Avennorians differ greatly in this respect, so we'd need something for the Caltharians as well. Like hypen-constructed name, like Altario has it with his second name "Shialt-eck-Gorrin" has it. We don't have anything like that yet, so it could be as well Caltharian. - These things we would need as well to complete Caltharian language.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2007, 09:33:16 »

Altario's first name IS quite typically Caltharian!   I think I will indeed steal the idea of hyphens for the Caltharian names, then.

'eck' could mean something as basic as 'son of' - but not literally.

I think Caltharians might, in their easy-going way, choose last names for themselves when they come of age, and generally choose the name of someone they honour or respect.  So often - but not always - a son might choose his father or grandfather's first name, but he could also pick a personage from history or a popular writer of the area.  It needn't be a person's name exclusively, either - some Caltharians have chosen to pay tribute to beautiful places, majestic mountains, or even humble plants and animals by taking the dialectal name as part of their own.   One can add syllables to commemorate a very important event in one's life, as well - usually only marriage, these days, but some traditionalists still pay homage to this very old 'rule of nomenclature'.

'Eck', 'Ek', 'Ekk', 'Ekh', 'Ak', 'Akk' and 'Aek'  (Caltharians not being fussy about spelling) are all used to mean 'son of', or ' male descendant'.

'So', 'Soo', 'Su', 'Sou', 'Suo', and 'Soh' similarly are commonly used to indicate 'daughter of' or 'female descendant'.

'Dor' and 'Dar', 'Mu' and 'Mas', all have the sense of 'coming from' or 'derived from'.

'O', 'Oh', 'Eoh' and 'Ohu' are more recent, incorporated to mean 'works with' or 'skilled in'

And  'Cha' or 'Chaa' (not to be confused with the styrash for tea) invariably means 'like' or 'similar'.

These 'indicator syllables' can be either capitalized or not, as the owner prefers.

Thus:  'Vella-cha-Syllo'  might be a young woman named Vella who strongly reminds everyone of her (possibly deceased) mother, Syllo.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin (and I'll make sure Alt has first edit rights and doesn't object to any of this, of course!) could indicate a sturdy, middle-aged researcher who took the name of a famous general of the Remusians, Gorrin, to show his fascination with the Northern histories, and added 'Shia' (the first part of his wife's name) when he was married, using the 'lt' suffix to make it masculine.

Ambon Ak-Ambonin is a youth from a rather well-set up Caltharian family who have a tradition of always naming the first-born son the same thing.  His father added the 'in' suffix to his first name when he built the family fortunes up to the point of owning his own small shipping company...

Merdala dar-Caltharia is a pretty lass who joined the Butterfly Rovers at the age of fifteen, and chose to change her last name so that her family could not track her - but still evidently kept some pride in her tribe and origins.

And so on!  Whaddaya think - could this work?

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2007, 00:07:43 »

Hey, you two, can I get some feedback about this concept?

Altario, I loved Art's reference to the possibilities inherent in your name - so I ran with it.   You don't HAVE to be a Caltharian, mind you - I just sorta got inspired by the variants I could create - and your first name is so typically Caltharian already!  Please let me know if this is ok and I can 'reference' you - and what your Santharian alter ego is really like.

Artimidor:  Is this what you had in mind?  I can give more details and examples of how to construct names if you like the idea.  It's not unique but it has its own character, as given by the feel of the syllables used.   

Also, I'm still hoping to be able to finalize the nomenclature guidelines for nobility and royalty in the Santharian kingdom - remember how we discussed using 'da' and 'sa' as 'house markers'?   Like the German 'von' or Dutch 'van'?  (Thus:  Talitha da Arriseyon      Marin sa Grothian    Lissiala sa Bothukiel    and so on...)  Linguistically speaking, this probably arose from similar linguistic traditions in the various tribes, and there was a consensus that three or four unique syllables would be 'reserved', as t'were, for the noble families to indicate their descent.  Having this extant in the Caltharians gives some historical heft to that proposal.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2007, 02:41:25 »

Yeah, I like that how you expanded on the hyphen idea, just by interpreting Altario's name... :D I don't know about Altario wanting his name to be Caltharian, but the concept would fit nicely to give the Caltharians a distinctive twist. Compared to that the Eyelians will have names like Ey'yeva or something like that, very exotic sounding - many apostrophes and double vowels as we sketched it briefly during Santhmoot II, so these would be quite different ideas as well from what we have here. I like that and would love to see this elaborated a bit in a view paragraphs for the entry if Altario is fine with it as well.

And yes, 'da' and 'sa', additions like that for the Santharian kingdom/nobility I'd support as well, and your explanation is also quite creative...  grin Which reminds me: Irid has al'Menie as second name, don't know what that means, but maybe she's a noble as well? :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Trelstahl
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2007, 11:37:35 »

This is cool, Judy!   :D

Can you come up with the meanings behind the names of the other people I've already written up, Arteros and Mertogrand?

Could 'Art' - also mean son of?  Not sure about 'Mer' or 'Mert'? 

Trel.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2007, 18:40:28 »

Ugh.. this reminds me i have to keep consistency in whatever names i design for the ''Vikh.... *starts working on a loooooong list of notes...* Excelent work on the Caltharians though!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2007, 16:56:44 »

Waiting on Altario's approval.  Has he been spotted lately?

I should IM him - when I have a free moment - and finalize this.

Arteros and Mertogrand: 

Sorry, 'Arteros' isn't classically Caltharian!   'Artero' would be a big improvement, if it wouldn't be a huge hassle to drop the 's'...    then you have 'Art' as a syllable referring to his or an ancestor's creative ability, and 'Tero' for the main part of the name... no problem there.

Mertogrand also has a few problems - I know, I know, these names were invented before we finalized the idea of a consistent system, sorry! - so how about 'Mertogran'?  Since 'gran' is a classic Caltharian syllable, simply dropping the final letter (again) would fix that.  Then the 'o' in the centre refers to 'works with, skilled at', so 'mert' could be a subtle reference to his occupation (war, death, treachery...)   

If it would be too much work to replace the references, you could simply add a paragraph about nomenclature to his entry which says that his birth name was indeed originally just 'Gran', and he was later given the additional syllables 'Mert - O' in homage to his warlike abilities.  Then he himself added the final 'd' in a megalomaniac attempt to emphasize his 'grandeur' and nobility...

Whaddya think?

Anwulf II

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2007, 02:31:57 »

I think you're demanding too much of -o-. Perhaps if you made it simply an adjective-forming infix might be a better idea so that Mertogran might be literally "aggressive Gran" or "warlike Gran", or equivalent to "Gran the Aggressive/Warlike" or "Gran the Fishmonger" or "Gran the Scourer of Dung from the Royal Privies". :)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2007, 04:42:08 »

Well, as you can see with these examples, Judy, that's why I try to give these nomenclature things some priority - because if we have a system we can apply it. If it only means to change a few existing important names, then it's better to do that now, that shouldn't be much of a problem still.

The alterations you mention sound great to me, even considering what Anwulf says - the name stays then, only the interpretation changes. At any rate these names still retain the feel of the original name, so I'd go for it. Hope it's fine with Trelstahl as well ;)

Trelstahl
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 June 2007, 12:16:53 »

The name changes are no problem-o to me :P  As Judy mentioned, these names were in use already, so I just went with them.

I'm beginning to work on more royality entries (right now for the Erpheronian kings) starting with Myrwodin's father and earlier, so I'll be sure to be more careful with names.

Trel.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 14 June 2007, 14:05:07 »

Art and Trel, thanks so much for your feedback!

Since you have to do the majority of the work on putting in replacements, dear Sage, if you think it is less of a problem to do it no, please go ahead with my suggestions.  I may have indeed oversimplified 'o', but let's bear in mind that any syllable with a similar sound carries that same meaning - as I said above - 'oh', 'oeh', and so on.    In the same way, 'von' and 'van' always mean 'of' in Terran parlance!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]