Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - The Lorehold Project  (Read 66523 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 02 June 2007, 22:42:21 »

For all those that have problems, here's another URL, that will work 100%:

http://www.santharia.com/santhworld/santhworld2.swf

But this URL exists only temporary so that you see it. It will not work long term. Let me know if it works and if you can find the way to the Nepris Laboratory properly via the map.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2007, 22:44:05 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 02 June 2007, 22:53:43 »

the second link works perfectly..but even after having that version loaded, the first link seems not to function properly.. oh well..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 02 June 2007, 22:56:30 »

Well, the second link is technically a new file. The other links to the file with the same name that was just substituted. Maybe there are proxy settings preventing the download of a slightly modified file.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 June 2007, 01:05:10 »

Oops.

The corridor in my mind had stairs going up but I didn't write them! Aaaaarrgh, I can't believe I did such a dim-witted thing.   rolleyes

Sorry, I will change that.  It just seemed to make sense to me that the Alchemist would have an accessible herb garden available so I put it in--but for whatever reason, didn't add the stairs in my mind's eye.

(still shaking head at self)  This is what happens when I don't get enough sleep.

Okay, back to work...

EDIT:   I decided to do a ramp instead of stairs, so added a slope upwards into the garden.  Now you should be able to get into it (once you enter the corridor) by typing EAST or UP, and back into the corridor and Alchemy Room by typing WEST or DOWN.

I tried the map--works just fine for me.  This is great, Art!  Much easier to keep track of where you are headed now, at least for visual types like me. :)  Thanks!
« Last Edit: 03 June 2007, 01:36:19 by Alysse the Likely » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 03 June 2007, 21:45:57 »

The way I understand it, Alysse, the garden is out in the open, on ground level. That's fine, providing we make it accessible to the west, because you need to remember that we are coming from one level above. If you put it east, then the garden is - despite the stairs - at the same level as the Lorehold, and as such (if one square equals a room), exactly in the Lorehold Main Hall. Know what I mean? - You have to envision putting the levels on top of each other and keep it consistent.

So if that's ok with you I just change east to west and that takes care of it :)

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 June 2007, 22:32:07 »

Okay.  I sort of envisioned it as being a little space in between, but I guess the room scheme doesn't work that way. I don't really understand the technical side of things.

I apologize for making more work for you.  (looks guilty)

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 03 June 2007, 23:24:23 »

Yeah, as you can see on the minimap "rooms" (or let's say: walkable locations) require the same amount space. So if you want e.g. to create a longer corridor you'd need to split it up, in say, three rooms, and these could have exactly the same description ("You're in a corridor leading east and west."). - Know what I mean? ;)

Here there's no trouble at all as we just let the slope go up after following a little corridor to the west, so don't worry - I'll handle things if there's a problem somewhere. :D

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 04 June 2007, 02:47:14 »

Ok, our gnome is in as well. :) Note that I had to do some room adjustments so that things fit, here and there a description was also changed, and the gnome sits now in an own room. It's better to split things up in several rooms so that you don't have staircase, dialogue partner, door etc. all in one room - give the player the opportunity to explore a bit. So I applied that here. You can try to go north now as well at the closed door and receive a funny message :) - Hope you like! Thanks to Alysse for the rooms!

Two more things:

Santhworld is now an own Santharian subdomain, so you can access it through

santhworld.santharia.com

Links to the normal file - so if you still have problems with that, Mira, you should use your other URL.

Also: As the Lorehold grows, don't forget that we can already at this stage implement simple quests. These quests can work at the moment only that you learn a new specific keyword somewhere that you can ask someone. But from there a lot more dialogue can result with the person. Here's an example how I realize a quest with 3 steps:

- Geoffrey tells you in the normal dialogue that you need to find the Primer if you want that he tells you more about magic. To prove that you have found it, he wants the last word from the book.
- The player will find the primer in the children's book section, and will find the word "Zyloth".
- Now the player goes back to Geoffrey and uses the keyword "Zyloth". Now Geoffrey will talk more. He'll be not very happy that you actually found that primer and are going to persue him more. After 2-3 more keywords he will tell you that before he can explain you some magic he needs to know where his assistant is as he needs some important information from him. Or more precisely: What book he's reading, as he needs to ensure that they don't do the work twice.
- The player will be able to examine the rat's book and will get one single keyword from that.
- The player walks back and tells the keyword to Geoffrey. Geoffrey is even more irritated that you'll keep him from his work and will ask you a last question: He doesn't believe you that you found his assistent, so to prove it he requires the assistant's name.
- The player will have to find out the rat's name and tell this to Geoffrey.

Note that some more hints will of course be dropped in the Lorehold somewhere to point the player in the right direction. But if you're extremely clever however you already can guess the rat's name... ;)

Anyway, this is to illustrate how simple errands without altering environment can work and make walking around in the Lorehold a challenge for the player. For example the gnome might require you to look up something, ask a person something etc. Just some pointers what is possible in order to keep the player occupied :)

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 04 June 2007, 02:56:44 »

This link works fine for me Art!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 June 2007, 21:44:55 »

So is that rat's name Rumpelstiltskin? (giggles)

This sounds like fun!

Alysse.

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 04 June 2007, 21:55:43 »

No, it isn't... :P Actually you can shake hands with Mr. Wedl, a colleague of mine, who suggested just that as well... grin It's difficult at the moment, though, without further hints.

Actually I've written quite a bit of dialogue on the Primer thing with Geoffrey and you can discuss a few funny things with the rat now, so that the first part of the quest is pretty much done now. I've enjoyed that part, it's quite entertaining - will be uploaded this evening, hope you'll like as well!  cool

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 05 June 2007, 03:17:23 »

Ok, I've made some updates now as promised this morning.

Tell Geoffrey now the primer keyword he wanted to know, and the rest develops from there. Which means: There's more to talk to Geoffrey and the rat now (in the rat standard dialogue first) and of course once you mention a keyword that is not immediately listed. You can also examine and read the book the rat is reading.

Geoffrey now has only a placeholder answer as of yet if you tell him the keyword that completes this second quest, but you can already complete it that way.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy - I had a lot of fun when writing it up...  grin

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 07 June 2007, 01:33:29 »

Ok, 2 more things to report:

- I've now converted the problematic small map graphics to vector based pictures, so that they look fine as well when you resize the movie.
- The Geoffrey missions were further expanded, so that it should be possible now to be able to guess the rat's name and complete mission #2. The reward (the teaching of the Xeuágram) is not in yet, but you should have some more fun trying to find out the rats name. If you've played through the first mission already, just ask Geoffrey about that keyword you found out and things continue from there.

In order to progress with this second mission I've integrated two items you can find in the otherwise not yet written Dining Hall (just northwest of Geoffrey) and one in the center north (2 rooms above Artimidor), which will be the Lorehold Administration room. I plan to put Dalá in this room, and the Warning Note you find there should be one of her works. I tried to write it a bit Dalá-esk, hope you get a few laughs out of it.

There are a few keywords now to which Geoffrey can respond, I guess there are three all in all. These are simply things that are related to Geoffrey and about which you can try to ask him (not very difficult to find out). One of those actually gives a very clear clue as for the rat's name if you ask Geoffrey about it. Well, you'll find out hopefully.

Added in were also the commands PET and STROKE, so you can try PET RAT for example, so there's some text as well.

If you think that the program should react to something and it isn't in yet, let me know. For example I think the rat should have to say something about the word GEOFFREY, so this I'll add for sure.

Hope you have fun and good luck with discovering the rat's identity! :)

P.S. Should this part still be considered too difficult, we can add in more clues. But some very basic clues are in already now.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2007, 01:35:39 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 07 June 2007, 03:48:16 »

The Courtyard has a first version! Much is to be added later on, but this version should be usable already... I'm particularilly fond of the fountain :P

Avrah Kehabhra

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 07 June 2007, 04:01:58 »

Very nice - I will see to integrate what you have made soon. Here and there of course I need to adjust things a bit to make it work the way Santhworld functions. E.g. LOOK DOORS will probably give you a combobox, and from there you can choose which door you want to look at, as LOOK SOUTH for example won't work. But this is just technical stuff.

Don't know precisely now which room we've said is #17 (don't see that anymore) - guess it was the middle one, which I now sketched as Lorehold Administration. Well, we can move the entrance to the courtyard to the current primer room and move the primer room further south e.g., shouldn't be a problem :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 55
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.