Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Quwish Bird  (Read 9812 times)
Ganinon
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« on: 21 June 2007, 02:51:28 »

Overview: The Quwish (plural form, Quwish) is a peculiar looking creature. It looks as though a deity jokingly put a cat and a weird looking bird together. This animal is a just a bird with some feline resemblance. It is often domesticated by trainers in Sarnovia once they are imported, though many Quwish do live in the wild. They were named Quwish because if you saw one in the wild you would hear the 'quququ' of it quaking, and then a swishing sound as the bird flies away. They can be trained to do tricks such as waddle around, slide on their white oval bellies, and fly through hoops. Some people hire Quwish trainers to entertain the sick, since their humorous visage can ease the pain and suffering. They can live anywhere after they are imported, but in the wild they are concentrated in the Drifting Woods.

Appearance: The Quwish start out at about a palmspread long and can grow to be as big as 3 palmspreads long. As for height, they start out at about half a palmspread and grow to as tall as 2 palmspreads. If you see one in the wild they would be on all fours, though if trained they can stand on their hind legs. Their front, webbed feet are slightly smaller than their back cat-like legs. The Quwish are indeed strange looking, their back half resembling a cat, with paws and a long flexible tail, and their front end looks like a bird with orange webbed feet and an orange, dull pointed, beak. Their webbed feet help them when swimming to thrust back more water thus pushing them forward faster. They also have wings with extra layers of muscle to propel them through the air quickly and gracefully.

Their body is covered in black and white feathers. Around the eyes and beak are white feathers and on the belly there are white ovals spotted all over. Feathers on the belly, around the eyes, and around the beak are white fluffy feathers. The rest are black feathers made more for flying. These feathers also are resistant to water. At the tail the feathers gradually get smaller and more fluffy the closer to the tips they are. On the head are 2 tufts of feathers that look as though they are cat’s ears. The real ears are on the side of the head level with the eyes have fantastic hearing. 

Special Abilities: The Quwish have a few abilities that make them special. They have the ability to fly, and have extra muscle layers in their wings to allow them to fly fast and easily. They are obedient enough to be taught tricks such as slide around on their bellies, waddle around, and fly through hoops. When Flying through hoops, the trainer sets up different colored hoops in difference positions around the room. The Quwish know which hoop to fly through because of the color. Another difference between most birds and the Quwish are their webbed feet making them great swimmers. Lastly, their hearing is excellent, much like a cat’s.

Territory: The Quwish are native to the Drifting Woods, though many are exported to Sarnovia. Entertainers are the main buyers of these animals, and many times these people overpay. Some healers might even recommend seeing a Quwish, as a thing to make them laugh and be happy.

Habitat/Behavior: During the day in the wild the Quwish will often be by themselves, hunting for spiders and other bugs or if in summer looking for a mate. and in large groups of 10-20 at night. They group together at night to hopefully scare off predators. Most predators won’t attack the Quwish at night when they group because there are too many beaks and claws going to hurt them. Their main predators are Challachoy but they usually hear the Moss Children scream and fly away. The Quwish are hard to catch, but once caught can bring the person good money. Exporting is common with the Quwish.

Diet: The Quwish eat all the small insects that you would find in the Drifting Woods, though their favorite is spiders. If you have a Quwish as a pet be sure you have a forest nearby so they can forage themselves or have some bugs for them to eat.

Mating: The Quwish populate quite quickly. When a female mates she produces about 7 fertilized eggs. Then the males leave, leaving the female behind. The eggs take about a week to hatch. The female usually leaves for 5 days and then comes back and waits for the eggs to hatch. The shells are very hard so almost always all live to hatch even though their mother isn’t there to protect them. As soon as they hatch the mother will go off to find some food for these hungry babies. The babies eyes won’t develop for a few days so the mother has feeds them. Once their eyes develop their wings begin to strengthen. Within another week these Quwish will be ready to fend for themselves. Though their mother may leave them the kids will usually stay together for a few days and then separate. About 5 of the 7 babies will live to mating age, 1 and half years.

Usages: The Quwish are often trained to do tricks and are also kept as pets. The Black Butterfly Rovers usually buy at least one and if no one has ever seen a Quwish before they may think that the Rovers preformed dark magic on the creature. That and the fact that Rovers mark their Quwish in such a way that it looks different than a Quwish. This makes it so that even people who have seen Quwish before think the Rovers preform magic. An example of marking is painting same of the feathers a different color,things like that can drastically change the appearance of the Quwish.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2007, 00:16:36 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2007, 03:44:40 »

"...will hear you or see you and fly away with a wish."  huh lol

I guess we should collect such funny things at a page as well - in comprised form, along with easter eggs, this can make a nice page.

I also already have something else to add to that collection, from the Zacheius' Bavereye Beetle:

"Some scholars have stated that the beatles do not sleep at all..." lol To which I replied: Now this would explain that John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr are seen by many as immortals! rolling

Anyway, got distracted a bit... But yes, the wish with the qu sounds like a workable domesticated bird, so just go ahead, Ganinon - just make sure that it doesn't fly away stealing any wishes! ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2007, 05:32:22 »

Now Ganinon...Honestly I like the Idea...but I think it is a little too fantastic for you to realistically make as a first entry. I like the idea of a creature that you wish on though! Perhaps you should make it a flying cat or a winged rodent covered in feathers? But cats ears on a bird's head....Little bit crazy...

What do you think Ganinon? Could this Idea be toned a little?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2007, 06:02:45 »

without going over the entry (i dont have the time, at the moment, sorry) the general rule is that we place the actual entry at the top[ of the topic, using the modify button to make changes later on. that makes it easier for everyone to find out where the most recent version of something is.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2007, 06:06:18 »

I see you have ignored my proposal....

Ganinon
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2007, 06:26:47 »

actully i just read your proposal right now and i thought i edited the top post srry ill change that.so no cat ears then?
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2007, 06:27:33 »

What about owls? Owls have cat ears and they are birds, aren't they?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2007, 09:45:39 »

I propose a compromise here, before this gets too out of hand.   Really, Deci, 'cat ears' or the appearance thereof are much LESS fantastic than making a winged cat!   Not that I have serious objections to a winged cat, but just think how terrified the bird population would be.... :)   And Art darling, owls do have tufts of feathers sticking up that give them an 'eared' appearance, but the actual 'ears' are located on the sides of the head covered by sparse down, with no external flaps or protrusions such as humans and cats have.

So far this sounds like a penguin with feline appurtenances - definitely something to make people laugh and a cute idea.   Perhaps Ganinon could rephrase his descriptive sentences to say something more like this:

"The Quwish looks as if a playful deity had put it together out of several animals.   While its body is shaped like a large bird's, tilted rather stiffly upright, its rump terminates in a long, feathery tail which is as flexible as a cat's.   Its head is also catlike, with a stumpy blunt beak resembling a muzzle, and two large tufts of feathers on either side exactly like a cat's pointed ears."   

You should expand on the performance concept, explaining that these are 'playful' creatures who like to repeat certain actions over and over, and which can be trained easily to waddle along the ground, fly through hoops, or slide down a ramp on their white-spotted bellies - thus confirming the general belief that they were created to make humans laugh. 

So far a nice idea.  I think we do have penguin-type creatures in the far North, so you might want to read that entry and see if there are any physical similarities which make the Quwish too closely derived.   You  could also decide what physical properties this bird has that 'restricts' it to a certain area (penguins prefer cold climates and if transplanted must be given a cold environment.  What about the Quwish?  What special things does it require?)

Good luck, and make sure to at least acknowledge people's critiques and comments - if you do not integrate them because you have a different concept in mind, do say so and explain how you imagine your beast developing alternatively.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ganinon
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2007, 11:46:31 »

some changes made and do you know what this penguin like animal is called so i can look it up? thx
Decipher Ziron

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2007, 01:59:05 »

Ganion...The masterbard was describing YOUR beast

Also...can I apologise...Might I just say that I foudn your idea unworkable because I couldn't fully understand your description. If you compare the Bard's to yours, you see that greater clarity in your writing is really important....I you wish to make this (and can make it well) I have no objections... I was merely stating that more mundane creatures are easier (and advisable for a newbie)...But I will not limit you...HOWEVER...I expect this to be a much more understandable and realistic (i.e believable) entry if you intend to....

Your Bestiary Moderator

Decipher

Ganinon
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2007, 02:41:31 »

slight modification of Judith's suggestion inserted and a bit more added about ears.oh and apoligy accepted :D
« Last Edit: 22 June 2007, 02:57:02 by Ganinon » Logged
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2007, 04:39:15 »

Well, from the first suggestion you've given it has changed quite a bit in the fantastic direction, hasn't it, Ganinon? At least I don't remember that cat/bird crossing that vividly from the first concept. huh

I can only suggest to follow Judy's advise and make compromises and tune things down a little, so that it doesn't get too fantastic, because we try to maintain a certain realism here in Santharia.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2007, 09:07:48 »

Er... the paragraph I wrote was intended as an example of how the Overview could be re-written to make things clearer, not as a substitute for Appearance.    Appearance needs to give clear, vivid details about every aspect - while my paragraph provides a general (but more visual) way to visualise the bird.

Please do not presume on Deci's courtesy overly; he was understandably confused by how you phrased your first draft.   Remember that it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that readers can understand and picture your creation as clearly as possible.  Perhaps you, too, do not yet have a fully-fleshed out image of what you hope to achieve with this submission,   so some assistance and creative critique will help you shape your concepts.     We are here to assist, support, and guide as you become familiar with the universe, but we hope you appreciate the privilege and responsibility that is part of being allowed to play in this Dream!

Regards from the Bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ganinon
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2007, 11:09:54 »

:angry:my parents just told me we're going on a trip from this frieday to next friday.i have to go to a wedding for my cousin.if i can i might be able to get on for a little bit but only like 2 days i would have to use my cousins computer so i wouldnt be on long. :angry:ill try to get on first thing once i get back
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2007, 16:47:13 »

No problem, Gani - real life does intervene quite frequently around here!  Enjoy the trip, eat lots at the wedding, and take the time in the car to mull things over in your head (it's how I usually write entries!).  When you get back, we'll be happy to see you and you'll have some fresh ideas to add...

Thanks for letting us know!

Regards from the bard,
Judith

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1088
Latest: brayd3n26
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 89
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!