Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Arefi  (Read 5661 times)
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 07 August 2007, 17:11:05 »

Here is the long awaited man eating plant this is only a rough draft I'd like comments please before I do more. I know their are spelling errors my spell check was acting goofy.

Edit 1
Edit 2

Arefi
The name Arefi is derived from the old Ter'ei'Vikh words A'erreh efefi, Later dialects tend to merge these words and drop some letters to Aerre-efi  then later Aere-efi which eventually becomes Arefi. Also called Sar'estvokar flower of life and death, drifting death flower.

Overview
A carnivorous flowering plant that grows on the waters of the drifting woods.

Appearance
Fyrite pink flowers about 2 fores in diameter with thousands of pointy petals surrounding a center of only 4 grains. The entire flower is 3 fores long and goes up and down in a 67 month cycle at the end of the cycle the flower will rise about a half a fore above the water resting on its petals and spread to a diameter of 8 fores. Then sink again.

Arefi flowers are surrounded by leaves up to 4 peds in diameter, But usually not exceeding 1. The Smaller tend to be a much lighter green leaves. As the leaves grow they get darker by the time they reach 1 ped they are a dark herne green. By the time they reach 4 peds they are a very dark shade of green known to the locals as death green (working title for this color)  or even black. Older plants tend to have more and larger leaves

Hanging bellow the leaves and the flowers are many long green tendrils. Usually from 1 to 4 nailsbreadths in thickness, But thicknesses over 2 fores are not unknown .

Directly bellow each flower is a fruit hidden in the stem it can only be seen as a bulge without cutting the plant.

The fruit and the flower are always present and many Ter'ei'Vikh say it is an example of the power of the high spirits.

Special abilities/behavior
Their long tendrils ensnare near by fish as well as reach out to grab other near by animals. The tentacles secrete 2 liquids one much thinner then alcahol called kitocran and a highly viscous gooey secretion called eulgilgu which causes animals to be digested. These will be secreted from 2 different structures called kitocran secretors and sticky structures.  Smaller plants will have a higher proportion of the kitocran secretors.

The Arefi will move from time to time using its larger tentacles to pull its self especially when its hungry at a speed of around 67 peds per hour. Though it can move much faster when enticed by Ter'ei'Vikh with the skill to do so. Its top speed is very guarded since such information would be critical to ouside invaders. Some Ter'ei'Vikh have claimed speeds of several furlay per second but this is thought to be a wild exaggeration by most or evidence of a teleportation spell by others.  It rarely moves more then a dash.

Diet
Ter'ei'Vikh botanist have study the diet based on size and color of the leaves and come up with various life stages named after lesser spirits

Stage 1 leaves white up to 1 grain across named after a fly spirit will eat any thing bigger then 1 Nailsbreadth
Stage 2 leaves light green up to 4 nailsbreadth named after a fish spirit will eat many small insects and fish
Leaves become darker green in each stage
Stage 3 leaves up to 6 Nailsbreadth after clam spirit will start to eat some things with a shell like small clams
Stage 4 named up to 1 palmspan after a rat spirit will take down small mammals and lizards.
Stage 5 named after a bird spirit up to 1 palmspan 3nailsbreadth will take down a small bird

Territory
Limited to the waters of the drifting woods

Reproduction
The most common method of reproduction for this plant is for a piece of tendril to break off a new plant will grow from this tendril.

At the end of every 67 month cycle flowers will open fully and a white clouds of will be expelled the cloud will drift away till it finally disperses possibly several furlays away. The first 11 clouds will contain pollen which will fertilize the flowers causing the fruit to grow. Every 12th will have seeds from when the fruit squeezes itself expelling the seeds.

Usage
The leaves of this plant will cause accelerated healing when eaten or rubbed on a wound. The darker the leaves the better they will work. The more recently a plant has eaten the better it works too.
The fruits of each plant have a slightly better healing ability then its own leaves but this severely weakens the plant and is believed by the Ter'ei'Vikh and the local merfolk to anger the high spirits.

Some animals with sufficient protection will feed on animals ensnared by their tentacles which usually take a long time to digest.

Ter'ei'Vikh will set their dead near the waters then say a prayer to the high spirits and The Arefi will move towards them at about 1 dash per hour then consume the dead

Kitocran
A powerful sedative used by Arefi to subdue its prey. Secreted from small holes called kitocran secretors. It is absorbed thru the skin. A small fraction of a drop will subdue most animals long enough for them to be eaten. 1 to 2 drops will cause a man to sleep for a week. People who overdose on kitocran usually starve to death after a prolonged period of sleep. Animals often drowned Tendrils in plants from stage 2 to stage 7 of their life are the most efficient at producing this substance making about one sip per 8 peds. Large plants tend to wrestle their prey more.

Kitocran is used on projectile weapons by Ter'ei'Vikh. This causes their prey to sleep until they wish to kill it allowing it to keep from rotting much longer in a hot humid climate.

Variuos types of leaves normally eaten are crushed by the Ter'ei'Vikh and mixed with small doses of kitocran and used as a pain killer. Stronger pain killers will decrease the amount of leaves used.

Eulgilgu
A sticky substance used to help the Arefi wrestle down prey the Ter'ei'Vikh use it for some adhesive applications.

Origins
Most stories on their origins deal with the high spirits while some say that other spirits had to do with their creation. Some say it was gods but these are mostly those of outsiders.
As to why they were created the most common explanation is the first Arefi was made as a gift to Isema by Kalim
Other explanations include they were made so their garden would be beautiful.

Others that they were a formation of an excess of life magic. Their are also stories the gods made them to protect their garden, either when they created it or to respond to a threat.

Some tails tell of an Arefi that slayed a great army of very powerful dragons that wanted  to destroy the garden. Most of these stories are believed to be exaggerations meant to scare would be invaders. It is said that if you can find the black leaves of this Arefi they will grant you immortality.

« Last Edit: 09 January 2008, 17:03:04 by xerampelinae deicida » Logged
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2007, 20:33:45 »

The blue is kind of annoying to look at.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2007, 21:00:37 »

Is that all you have to comment on, Niccoli? I don't mind the color for headings. maybe you try this one, Xera #6600FF
Or go to this site

It is a very interesting plant, I like the death ritual, hope Mira likes it as well. it is not so obvious yet, why it is called man eating flower.. or I have not read thoroughly enough, could well be ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2007, 21:10:38 »

I just have difficulty reading site's default blue it's why I use teal.

Accelerated healing. not excellerated.
The Nybelmer live near there. They're merfolk as I recall and it might be a good idea to mention them in the entry as well. (fish-people are no different from grown men.)

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2007, 23:08:48 »

If teal comes up for me, or green, I have to hilite the post in order to read it. shocked

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2007, 01:26:53 »

Let's not squabble about colors shall we? Xera, i'll give this a long read/think through tonight, and get back at you with my thougts tomorrow, ok?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2007, 03:18:17 »

Ok.  Just ran a spell check so most of the spelling errors should be fixed, looking forward to your comments.  :)
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2007, 02:53:52 »

Guess what color the comments will be in?

Arefi
The name Arefi is derived from the old Ter'ei'Vikh word rfi, Also called Sar'estvokar flower of life and death, drifting death flower. The doesn'texist in this language. in general, words need to me flowing, but with strong sounds. All available samples are in the Tribe entry on Ter'ei'Vikh. And you'd have to provide a translation for the original word as well.

Overview
A carnivorous flowering plant that grows on the waters of the drifting woods.

Appearance
Fyrite pink flowers about 2 fores in diameter with thousands of pointy petals surrounding a center of only 4 grains. The entire flower is 3 fores long and usually stays half submerged. If it gets hotter it will sink farther down but never bellow the water. If it gets cooler it will rise up higher in the water. On the rare occasion it gets cool enough the flower will rise about a half a fore above the water resting on its petals and spread to a diameter of 8 fores.
One traveler from santharia wrote about this
It was an usually cold day to day for the drifting woods so much so that all but the most hardy of creatures were in their burrows escaping the light frost There has been one instance in all of history where the temperature of the DW dropped to a the freezing point; the year of Darkness. Otherwise, the Mossmounds (<-required Drifting Woods reading due to the climate impact!) maintain a cozy warmth.. that might of as well have been a blizzard. I saw a great many flowers spread their pink petals wider then the height of a man. A cloud of white seeds was dispersed by these flowers covering the landscape. I believe this is the closest thing to snow these lands ever see. None of the locals had ever seen this except for a man of over 200 who had seen it as a small boy. People don't get that old in the drifting woods.. average natural deaths will (probably) occur at 70-75 years of age for both men and women.

Arefi flowers are surrounded by leaves up to 4 peds in diameter, But usually not exceeding 1. The Smaller tend to be a much lighter green leaves. As the leaves grow they get darker by the time they reach 1 ped they are a dark herne green. By the time they reach 4 peds they are a very dark shade of green known to the locals as death green (working title for this color)  or even black. Older plants tend to have more and larger leaves

Hanging bellow the leaves and the flowers are many long green tendrils. Usually from 1 to 4 nailsbreadths in thickness, But thicknesses over 2 fores are not unknown .

Directly bellow each flower is a fruit hidden in the stem it can only be seen as a bulge without cutting the plant. flowers and fruits rarely occur at the same time.

Special abilities
Their long tendrils ensnare near by fish as well as reach out to grab near by birds and mammals. As the Arefi grows the size of their prey grows larger when the leaves get to a shade called death green (working title for this color) they will take down a full grown man. IMPORTANT! How does it feed?

Territory
Limited to the waters of the drifting woods this will of course have to be refined later, but thats not important now.

Reproduction
The most common method of reproduction for this plant is for a piece of tendril to break off a new plant will grow from this tendril.

A very rare occurrence when it is unusually cold for the drifting woods is the flowers will open fully and a white clouds of seeds will be expelled the cloud will drift away till it finally disperses possibly several furlays away. i thought there was a fruit?

Usage
The leaves of this plant will cause accelerated healing when eaten or rubbed on a wound. The darker the leaves the better they will work. The more recently a plant has eaten the better it works too.
The fruits of each plant have a slightly better healing ability then its own leaves but this severely weakens the plant and is believed by the Ter'ei'Vikh and the local merfolk to anger the gods. Spirits. Both Humans and Mer believe in spirits, instead of Gods.. we will devise a nice myth around these flowers once the entry nears completion.

Some animals such as turtles, certain types of fish and small dragons will feed on animals ensnared by their tentacles which usually take a long time to digest. As of yet, no flesh-eating dragons in the DW, and it will stay that way. THe only dragond are Eingana Whelps, who are herbivoral. But the Phaert are carnivorous, especially the Starrwell Phaert, which will be designed to be the main predator of the woods.

Ter'ei'Vikh will wrap their dead up in weeds to float them and send them towards an Arefi where the body will be consumed. Even better; they will use their magic to have a flower draw in the dead on their own accord!

Origins
Some claim they were made by the gods so their garden would be beautiful. Others that they were a formation of an excess of life magic. Their are also stories the gods made them to protect their garden, either when they created it or to respond to a threat. As said, we'll brainstorm on some myths later :D

Some tails tell of an Arefi that slayed a great army of very powerful dragons that wanted  to destroy the garden. It is said that if you can find the black leaves of this Arefi they will grant you immortality. Why would dragons want that?> they are not the most cooperative creatures, and there could not be a reason for them to attack the Ter'ei'Vikh, as they don't leave the forest at all.. Maybe it devoured an entire legion of Porcini during one of the wars between the Mushroom people and the Spider people?

This is going to be fun!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2007, 03:00:34 »

blue?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2007, 03:04:26 »

*Sighs sadly* I'm not even going to comment on that...

Avrah Kehabhra

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2007, 17:14:54 »

Did some editing to clarify somethings and tie them in with the Ter'ei'Vikh better.  Also started a diet section.

Use of tentacle secretions might be expanded depending on Ter'ei'Vikh occupations and their are a few parts that are short waiting comments before I continue. :)
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2007, 06:34:57 »

Just posted a change to the 2nd paragraph in the usage section that I made but forgot to change in my post before.
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2007, 02:41:20 »

Comments, more or less in the order they apear in the entry.

Aeŕře effi->A'erreh efefi. (Ter'maes doesn't use accents, and has verry few vowel variations at all)

Expand a bit on the overview

The up-down cycle goes into the behavious/abilities section, or Lore. Explain the reasons for these numbers.

How did someone measure the speed of an Arefi? Its robably not even the same on every plant.

The "Vikh have little interest in the anger or benevolence of the High Spirits. The Spirits of the Heavens are a better choice here. You can even pick a single one from the tribe entry if you want to.

The merfolk do not believe in the same spirit world model as the "Vikh

I suppose the diet section isn't finished yet? (Cool, this is a plant using the Bestiary template :P)

Territory needs expanding.

Same goes for reproduction, a bit more details please. the "Vikh are perfectly capable of researching this bit.

You still need a way for the plant to actually get the nutrients from the prey.

Read into the SPirit Song magic and rewrite the funeral bit. (only slightly off balance)

There are no mines in the drifting woods.

Most stories on their origins deal with the high spirits while some say that other spirits had to do with their creation. Some say it was gods but these are mostly those of outsiders.
As to why they were created the most common explanation is the first Arefi was made as a gift to Isema by Kalim
Other explanations include they were made so their garden would be beautiful.
This makes no sense. Isema and Kalim have never been in love, and at their very best tolerate eachothers existence. As far as we know they have met only once.
This garden you refer to is probably the Drifting Woods? But that was made by Vikthi, during his struggle with Kalim. The full story is in the DW entry.

Avrah Kehabhra

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2007, 10:42:00 »

I'll look over your comments in more depth later
I have a question about one of 'em before i do though i got the idea for making its origin related to Kalim and Isema from this statement found here

Kalim, and his wife and counterpart Isema were the first beings in existence.
Ter'ei'Vikh mythology

Of course if you don't think he'd give her gifts changing iit wouldn't be a problem. :)
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2007, 01:08:15 »

They didnt exactly have much choice as to whom they'd mate. also, it happened by accident anyway. The whole story can be found in the DW entry.

Avrah Kehabhra

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]