Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Brain Death /wind magic/level VII  (Read 9290 times)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 18 August 2007, 00:57:36 »

Wind Spells, Brain Death (Level VII)

The wounds of the body are easier to cure than the scars of the mind. Wind magi take advantage of this and created this spell to target the mind rather than the body of their victim.

The spell's purpose is not to kill the target or even put the target under great pain. The purpose of the spell is to remove the Wind ounía in the Cár'áll. The target will become like a mindless creature roaming the lands of Caelreth, driven by insanity and anger.

Magi who are jealous of another magi's success or discovery frequently use this spell, robbing their competition of their intelligence so they themselves could receive all the attention. This is the reason why Ximax forbids anyone who knows how to cast the spell to teach it. The heads of Ximax believe that the mind is a dangerous thing to lose.

Spell Effect.
The spell uses Sphere III to remove the Wind ounía in the target's Cár'áll and releases it into the environment. All the properties of the Wind such as, intelligence, calmness, wisdom, and clarity of the mind will also be removed from the target. 

The target will feel a tremendous amout of pain during the casting of the spell or more precisely, during the removal of the Wind ounía in the target's Cár'áll. The destruction of the Xeuá links binding the Wind ounia to the person's Cár'áll often causes massive headaches and a feeling of great fatigue and heaviness.

After the spell has been cast, the target will feel yet another pain that may last for days. This new pain is caused by the target's Cár'áll trying to fill the cavity that was left when the Wind ounía were removed. The Cár'áll of the target will try to bring balance again to itself by realigning itself in a new pattern and attempting to bond with whatever sources of Wind ounia it can find to replace the loss.

Many die because of the pain, but those who are strong enough to endure it and survive the horror caused will often become as if they were the living dead, mindless and angry, all traces of their former life and sanity lost. Though some may eventually, after a period of many years, recover from this, many do not. Those who do not recover become wandering, brainless monsters, often put down for the safety of everyone around them.

Casting Procedure.
For such a high level spell, the casting procedure is quite simple. The mage must concentrate on the target's Cár'áll first--physical contact through is often recommended for ease in focusing on every trace of Wind ounía in the target's Cár'áll. The mage then uses Sphere III to remove the Wind ounía in the target's Cár'áll, severing the links and dispersing it in the environment. 

Magical Formula.
Not defined yet.

Focus/Target. Anything may be the target of this spell, though it is most often used against other sentient persons. It can also be cast in groups depending on the skill of the caster.

Reagents. Reagents tend not to be necessary for this spell, due to its direct reliance purely on the Cár'áll of the target. Common Wind reagents, such as feathers, dust, and so on, may be helpful, however, to less skilled magi.

Magical School. Elemental Magic, Wind School.

Spell Class. Sphere III, Perception (Spiritual Representation of the Wind School).

Range.
A recommend range is within several peds of the target, physical touch may be necessary for less skilled magi.

Casting Time. A casting time of around half a minute tends to be the average for less skilled magi, while those who are more skilled can often accomplish this within only a few blinks. Longer ranges or larger groups of targets, however, are more likely to require a longer casting time. The quantity of Wind ounia within a target Cár'áll is also a variable.

Duration. This spell tends to be permanent, but in some situations a target may eventually partially, or even completely, recover. Even then, however, such recovery could take years.

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures.
The spell can be countered by using Xeuá to hold on to the Wind ounía, preventing it from being released in the environment.

If the spell did not completely remove the Wind ounía from the target, a Wind mage may strengthen the influence of the Wind ounía inside the Cár'áll to strenghten the properties of the Wind, although the effect is only temporary. Highly skilled Wind magi may use Sphere III to attach new Wind ounia to the target Cár'áll, but the target is unlikely to remember anything from their former 'life'.

No enhancement is known for the spell although the spell is already quite potent.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2007, 03:06:24 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2007, 11:56:41 »

I thought somebody would take an idea from that Demoralize spell. Anyways very good, however another enhancement would be for a fire mage to raise the fire ounia also. However I have no idea if thats possible(As I said before I'mn ot very good at magic, so).
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2007, 12:12:10 »

Thank you Aurora... Actually it was Fox's and your comment that gave me this idea.
About the enhancement thing (i think it only talks about what the mage can do to enhance the spell) I guess the enhancement is just talking about what the mage casting can do to enhance the spell....

« Last Edit: 18 August 2007, 12:24:04 by Shansi » Logged

My Development Schedule
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2007, 15:00:44 »

This spell is not Sphere III nor is it even Sphere II (thus level 5 is much too high of a level). At least not as it is described. All I can see, is that the spell simply decreases the effect of spiritual wind ounia on a target. That's Sphere I. In this instance, it would be Sphere III only if you were aiming for a more permanent effect (permanently removing Wind ounia from the target thus making them stupid for good). But a temporary decrease like this is Sphere I.

I wouldn't call it Bestial Rage nor would I make this spell primarily anger-based. Instead, I'd suggest naming it 'Braindeath', or something and have it simply globally reduce the effect of wind. Then state in the spell that the mage can then manipulate the target's emotions as they see fit. Basically, you lower the rational thought and then the mage can do whatever they want with the target's emotions, IE, causing fear, anger, whatever, rather than limiting it to a single effect. Make it so that the mage can use the same spell and then, if they say 'Boo!', the target runs away, or if they say 'You smell funny.', the target attacks, etc. We shouldn't make multiple spells that do the same effect when you can do them all with a single one..

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2007, 15:15:20 »

Thanks Fox... I will do a major update on this thread.... Thanks again

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2007, 16:55:15 »

It took me quite a while but I did it Fox! It's now brain death and it has been modified according to your suggestion. :)

Thanks!

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2007, 17:12:34 »

I'd say change the wording from 'air' ounia to 'wind' ounia.

In addition, I'd say to change the property from 'calmness' to 'clarity'. IMO, this spell should in general reduce the target's ability to rationalize their emotions. This is wind, so you aren't going to be causing rage or emotion with it (at least through magical means). Instead of reducing calmness, by reducing clarity you reduce one's ability to understand what is going on, causing confusion and allowing emotions to take over. Clarity is what keeps a person's emotions in check because they are able to rationalize and control them.

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2007, 17:30:21 »

Done! I have changed calmness to clarity and air to wind :)

Anything else?

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2007, 17:41:13 »

Only other thing I can see right off the bat is the level... 5 is a bit high since it's a Sphere I spell, so, I'd recommend level 3 or so.

Beyond that nothing major I can see, I'll give it a more in-depth look later on.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2007, 17:41:49 »

Added a picture from Quellion and reserved it in the reserving thread...

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2007, 18:34:19 »

I have revised it! Completely. It is a lot like waning now....

Waiting for comments....

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2007, 18:35:48 »

Done a spell check

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2007, 16:10:39 »

I don't see why you chose to completely change it. You should have kept the old version and simply made this as a separate spell.

I don't see why this should be level 9. Similar spells like Waning and Water Extraction are level 8 and 7 respectively, it isn't a very difficult spell to cast. I'd recommend bumping it down to 7 (not 8, the only explanation for Waning to be 8 is that it's Earth and thus tearing away Earth ounia is more difficult due to the stubbornness of the element).

Also, I don't see why this spell would cause any direct pain while the Wind ounia are being removed. Though I am unsure if drain type spells cause any pain as they're being extracted.

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2007, 16:18:45 »

I decided to change it because of the title.... It seems that the old one did not really fit the title unlike this one....

I have decided to lower this level 8 (not 7) because.... Just quick question: If earth is stubborn and hard to remove... Then the wind is less solid which makes it harder to grasp......collect so that it could be removed?

About the pain... I am not since when I read about waning it says there that the alingment of the car'all causes pain so I thought that if something has been done to the car'all, it would also affect the body...

My Development Schedule
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2007, 16:24:35 »

I decided to change it because of the title.... It seems that the old one did not really fit the title unlike this one....

Then you change the title, not the whole spell...

I have decided to lower this level 8 (not 7) because.... Just quick question: If earth is stubborn and hard to remove... Then the wind is less solid which makes it harder to grasp......collect so that it could be removed?

Not really. Getting a grasp on one's own element isn't difficult, that's the boon of being an elemental mage. Wind mages can 'touch' Wind ounia with a simple thought, they don't have to go chasing after it or anything.

Wind would be EASIER to move because you'd be cutting the links and then it'd fly off on its own, really.

About the pain... I am not since when I read about waning it says there that the alingment of the car'all causes pain so I thought that if something has been done to the car'all, it would also affect the body...

That pain happens AFTER the ounia are removed. Your spell here says that pain happens both during the removal and in the aftermath. Waning only discusses pain in the aftermath, but not during the actual withdrawal process.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]