Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Conjurers (a part of the Macanti)  (Read 6873 times)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 26 August 2007, 21:21:28 »

Conjurers:
Conjurers are people who are capable of imitating magic. Unlike the swindlers, the main purpose of being a Conjurer is to entertain the crowd with their tricks. They are usually seen in festivals, celebration and commonly in a Circus. They entertain crowds in exchange for some few coins. Unlike the swindlers, this is an honest type of living.

(introduction in the Macanti)

(This is the main Entry)

There are people who can perform magic through proper manipulation of the elements but there are also some who are capable of doing magic that needs nothing but a quick hand and a smiling face. They are called "Conjurers".

They are considered as one of the Macanti because they too are fake mages who cannot do magic but only imitate it.

Description:
Conjurers are in no way mages. They perform magic tricks that cannot be called real magic. They need less concentration than real mages though, but they need a very quick hand to pull tricks and to cast a shroud of wonder upon their audiences.

There are many things that a Conjurer can do that is quite hard for real mages but there are things that only the real thing can perform.

They perform this tricks using their quick hand to hide or conjure things out of thin air. They do not let the spectator's attention be attracted to something else other than the object which their tricks will be upon.  One example is a dissapearing act, where a Conjurer dissapears infront of the spectators. This dissappearance can be quite obvious if there is nothing to cover the trick so the Conjurer uses smoke to cover his or her escape through a trap door in the stage. Even a big elephant could be made dissappear using the same method. A trick that is hard to pull using Ximaxian magic.   

The art of the Conjurers cannot be used in battle unlike real magic but it can be used to entertain the crowd, especially young children and those who have little knowledge of magic. They perform mostly during festivals, celebration, and carnivals where a stage is prepared for them. They show off their skills and perform various tricks to entertain their spectators.

Ximax
Ximax greatly discourage their student from learning this art. The greatly discourage this because they teach real magic and they do not wish for their student to learn tricks. They'd rather see their student learn the simplest spell rather than seeing them performing tricks.

Abuse of Usage:
The main purpose of this art is to entertain the crowd. However a lot of conjurers today are using this art for personal gains like the "swindlers". They use their talents to trick the eyes of their victim while they do something else, like stealing. One example of this are the Conjurers that belongs to the group known as, "Black Butterfly Rovers".

Different Type of Tricks:
Conjuring: The Conjurer magically produces something out of nothing.
Vanish: The complete opposite of Conjuring. The Conjurer makes something dissappear
Transformation: The Conjurer changes something into another thing. Such as a paper turns into a bird.
Restoration: The Conjurer restores the object into its original shape or form. Such as pieces paper into a one
                  whole sheet of paper.
Teleportation: An object dissappears from its current location and the object reappears on a new location.
Levitation: The Conjurer makes something float in the air.
Prediction: The Conjurer guesses something. Example is when a spectator chooses a card and the Conjurer
                picks the card in a pile of cards.

Secrecy:
The Conjurers are very sensitive about their tricks. They usually chooses a worthy group of people to pass on their tricks. These group of people will usually be asked to speak an oath promising not to reveal the tricks except when it is the time to pass it on.

"Secrecy is the foundation of this art"
                                                                                                                                              -A quote from "The Book of Tricks"
History
The art of magic tricks had started, a year after Ximax was built. Many people were amazed on what magic can do but only a few can go to a school like Ximax. Even those who were accepted thought that magic is quite complicated and because of this, they quit. They decided to imitate the teachings of Ximax in a much simpler way, where there is no need for intense concentration, only a quick hand. They called themselves, "The Conjurer of Tricks", since it is all that they do, create tircks.
Unfortunately, the number of people who learns how to tricks are currently decreasing. The Conjurers have become too fearful that their tricks might be stolen or be copied by somebody else. Usually, a Cojurer chooses a number of people but current Conjurers choose at least one student to recieve their teaching.

What I was thinking is that this could be added to the Macanti section. The one above this is just an introduction that can be added to the Macanti Section. The longer one can be a full entry about them. So I was thinking that the introduction have some sort of links to the full article about them :)

« Last Edit: 29 August 2007, 02:38:56 by Helvíl Ypherén » Logged

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2007, 21:22:19 »

Ready for comments!

My Development Schedule
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2007, 05:32:40 »

I'm not very happy with this submission, for one because I think they are not too different from macantis, at least the kind which do not use  magic, my other concern is that you say, they achieve things real mages do without using magic. How should this work? I know, we have such magicians on earth as well who do things which you can't believe, but I don't know how to handle this problem here where magic exists!

Hopefully some Ximaxian mages will have a look soon.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2007, 08:09:58 »

There are probably 'conjurers' among entertainers such as the Black Butterfly Rovers, who use sleight of hand to perform interesting illusions.  The common folk who have little contact with 'real magic' would certainly be impressed with shimmering showers of sparks, things appearing and disappearing, and so on.  However, mages would indubitably refuse them to allow the title 'magician' (which I think is too modern a term anyhow, along with the words used for the various forms of trickery).   Perhaps this concept could be reworked and simply added to the Macanti entry, so that people looking for 'conjurer' or 'magician' in a search could turn up the extra information?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2007, 12:29:31 »

@ Bard Judith: You mean add it to the entry of the first type of Macanti? since Macanti are fake mages, those who pretend to be mages and those who are gifted. I will change their name to conjurers :)

@Talia: I think they are quite different macanti since macanti are people who pretends to be mages while magicians are imitators. (it sounds kinda same but I meant them to be different)
« Last Edit: 27 August 2007, 12:33:20 by Helvíl Ypherén » Logged

My Development Schedule
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2007, 16:19:34 »

I'd agree with Bard Judith. There isn't enough of a difference between Macanti and Magicians to warrant a separate entry. They pretty much do the exact same things, except that Macanti are trying to swindle people by pretending to do real magic while Magicians openly state that what they do is tricks. However, the performances that are done by either one would be the same techniques, as both are imitating magic and thus will generally utilize the same methods for doing so.

This does serve a good purpose, however, of fleshing out the Macanti entry by discussing what 'fake magic' really is, of which the Macanti entry does not really discuss. Perhaps if you could go into some more in-depth information on specific simple tricks that have been released to the public (as is the case IRL, where one can come across many simple magic trick books). Though, you'd need to do some research into what medieval tricksters were capable of doing as some things are only now possible with modern inventions. Then try and Santharianize it by coming up with some new ones based on various Santharian-specific items that we have access to.

« Last Edit: 27 August 2007, 16:21:21 by Fox » Logged
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2007, 16:32:05 »

Yes both of themare seperate because the other group openly state that what they do is tricks while Macanti pretends that they are capable of doing magic...

My Development Schedule
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2007, 16:41:29 »

Yes both of themare seperate because the other group openly state that what they do is tricks while Macanti pretends that they are capable of doing magic...

Yes, and Gifted aren't the same thing as Macanti either but are in the same entry, and Gifted are even more different from Macanti than Magicians/Conjurers are. A difference of 'one group pretends to be real and the other group openly imitates' is not enough to warrant a second entry. Now, if you did a specific order of conjurers, then that might be worthy of its own entry. But small overviews like the Macanti entry that only discuss a broad spectrum of people who perform similar feats to one another do not need to have different entries. You can, in one sentence (though more likely one would just add a third bullet to the bullet list already in the Macanti entry) in the main entry, say 'The first group, Macanti, pretend their tricks are actually real magic, while the others, Conjurers, openly admit that they are imitating magic only.". And that's it. That's the only thing different, everything else about the two broad groups is the same... the tricks they use, the fact that other magi don't like them, etc.

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2007, 16:48:12 »

Hmm...... Yes that is what I mean. The conjurers are a group of people that imitate magic through tricks,,,
"They are not conjurers of magic but they are conjurers of tricks"  grin
« Last Edit: 27 August 2007, 16:51:44 by Helvíl Ypherén » Logged

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2007, 21:20:35 »

Another thing:
Macanti do stuffs to gain wealth while the main purpose of a conjurer is to entertain the audiences :)

The Macanti are more like con men who create stuffs such as potions and elixir to gain money while Conjurers claims to do no such things... :)

Another thing.. So does anyone suggest that I should add this in the entry of the Macanti since they claim to posses magical power which conjurers do not....

My Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 August 2007, 21:52:34 »

The term Mantacai, generally used, describes a person who can create a magical effect without formal teaching.  Thus, motive carries little to no weight.  Either your 'conjurers' are manticai or they are similar to the Butterfly Rovers.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2007, 22:01:28 »

Drasil....
According to the entry of Macanti, there are two types:

The Swindlers or those who who claims to have magical powers and potions... They claim to posses healing powers and such and usually their motives is to gain money through tricking (in a bad way) their customers like con people..

The second types are gifted which are gifted with magical powers although they cannot create big effects, they may have the power of foresight and such...

My Entry:
They are the general people who unlike the swindlers and the gifted imitates magic throug tricks. The purpose of creating this art is to entertain but of course it cannot be denied that many people also abuses this art for personal gain like the Swindlers like some members of the Black butterfly rovers...

My Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 August 2007, 22:06:00 »

Swindlers is NOT the primary categorization of a manticai though, which is a point that you are missing.  I couldn't understand the quote from your entry because the grammar was pretty poor.

You need to make it clear (in proper english  buck) what they are.  If they are simple tricksters, then they have no magic and are simple circus preformers, OR they are a branch of manticai.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2007, 22:20:02 »

I added something in the overview colored in green.................
Will that be enough of an explanation?

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2007, 22:26:43 »

Oke oke... I'll create a short description about them and try to add it in the Macanti section then this would be the full article.... :)

My Development Schedule
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]