Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Burning Wind/Level 2/Fire Magic  (Read 5728 times)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 07 September 2007, 02:45:24 »

The spell "Burning Wind" is a basic spell which can be lethal in the hands of a great magi. At lower levels, the spell can be used to heighten the temperature in a particular area; good enough to keep the mage and his company warm. But it can also be used in a battle; making the wind's temperature blazing hot.

There are quite a few limits to this spell though. The presence of the Fire ounía limits the highest point a mage can heighten the temperature. Like in a snow-covered land, a mage cannot produce the temperature that he can achieve in a desert.

Spell Effect:
The effect of the spell is quite simple, it will make the air in a particular area much warmer than usual. At lower levels, a mage can only heighten the temperature gradually and slowly but a powerful mage can quickly heighten the temperature in a particular area making it useful in the battlefield.

The the mage taps on the heat property of the Fire ounía to increase the temperature of the air and make it warmer.

The mage can choose how fast he wants the change temperature will be but it is highly adviced that they do it gradually because it needs greater control when doing it instantly which is only recommended for mages at higher levels.

Casting Procedure:
The mage must first concentrate on the air of the targeted area. Then, he must try to increase the influence of the Fire ounía in the air. It is highly adviced to do this gradually as the mage might lose his focus and the spell might fizzle. Next is that the mage must make the Fire ounía express its property of heat stronger than its other properties.

Magic Formula:
To be defined at a later date.

Target: The air of a particular area.

Reagents: Beginners are advised to use Sulphur to increase the effectiveness of the spells.

Magical School:
Fire Magic

Spell Class: Pyrification, Physical Representation of Sphere I

Range: The range of the spell rises as the mage's level goes higher:
Level 2-3: An area about 1 ped in radius.
Level 4-5: An area about 5 peds in radius.
Level 6-7: An area about 9 peds in radius.
Level 8-9: An area about 15 peds in radius.
Level 10-11: An area about 35 peds in radius.

Casting Time:
Level 2-3: About a couple of minutes before the effect of the spell can be felt.
Level 4-5: About several seconds before the effect of the spell can be felt.
Level 6-7: It will only take a couple of blinks to increase the temperature of the air.
Level 8-11: The effect is almost in an instant.

Duration: Like most Sphere I spells, the duration the spell will be as long as the caster concentrates on mainting its effects. After that, the influence of the Fire ounía will gradually go back to normal

Counter Measures/Enhancing Measures
A fire mage can counter this spell by lowering the influence of the Fire ounía in the air and also making it express its heat property less. A water mage can also counter the spell by increasing the influence of the Water ounía in the air and tapping on its coldness property.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2007, 04:38:08 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2007, 06:59:18 »

Use the correct development icon.   And I personally would like to see more in the spell effect section.  Your explanation doesn't fufill the requirements of the section IMHO.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2007, 04:30:27 »

I have finished editing it and ready for comments

My Development Schedule
Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2007, 15:42:36 »

The spell uses the techniques of Sphere I to increase the influence of the Wind ounía in the air to make it warmer. Then the mage makes the Fire ounía in the air express its heat property stronger than the other properties of the Fire ounía.

Fire Magi have no control over Wind ounia. All the mage can, and needs, to do is simply increase the influence of Fire ounia in the air, specifically increasing the heat property.

Casting Time: At lower levels, the spell will gradually increase the temperature and this can take a while or until the mage loses focus or got tired during this process. At higher levels, the spell's effect is instant. The mage can heighten the temperature in an alarming rate that the people in that area might die out of the sudden change in the temperature.

Please give a rough average estimate for the lower levels.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2007, 20:21:20 »

Fox, about the wind thingy, sorry bout that. Its an honest mistake, I was not able to see that I wrote Wind instead of Fire  grin

I will correct these things right away
!

My Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2007, 23:33:00 »

Looking at this in more depth I wonder if it is even possible.  As Fox said, a fire mage has no control over the movements of the wind ounia(which are highly fluid and constantly moving in the air) and thus, by tiggering fire ounia to create intense heats, the mage would also be subject to the effect himself, leading to instant death of fizzling due to pain and discomfort.
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2007, 07:36:50 »

Looking at this in more depth I wonder if it is even possible.  As Fox said, a fire mage has no control over the movements of the wind ounia(which are highly fluid and constantly moving in the air) and thus, by tiggering fire ounia to create intense heats, the mage would also be subject to the effect himself, leading to instant death of fizzling due to pain and discomfort.

Only if he targeted the air nearby. If he targeted the air in a location away from him, there'd be no immediate negative effect on the mage himself, unless he was downwind. And he could also easily create a 'bubble' where he concentrates on keeping any heated air that does happen to blow in his direction deinfluence when it comes near.
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2007, 20:06:44 »

Agree with fox. The mage will only be hurt if he or she targets the air around him or her, other than that, he or she should be fine. But of course, if the wind blows towards his or her position, the heat will also be carried but in lesser amounts as it will be scattered.
So is there anything more that I should change so that this spell would be in the next update?

My Development Schedule
Drasil Razorfang

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2007, 23:38:04 »

I'd suggest a spelling/grammar check.  Content you'll have to leave up to Fox and Mina as they know much more about magic than I.
Fox

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2007, 01:01:25 »

I'll give it a Uri today when I get some time to spare.

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2007, 06:49:56 »

Thanks Fox! Take your time.

My Development Schedule
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2007, 16:15:58 »

Why consider only the combat applications?  Sounds like a great spell for keeping yourself warm in cold weather.   Though perhaps under a different name.  ;)

I think perhaps the upper limits of what can be done with this spell should perhaps be lowered.  Since this is Sphere 1, the effects you can achieve will be limited by much ounia is already present; it's not just a matter of how powerful the caster is.  Making the air as hot as flames probably can only be done in very hot places; there won't be enough Fire ounia present otherwise. 

Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2007, 21:38:52 »

I have edited it... Sorry it took too long; I have been busy with the RPG boards and RL

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2007, 13:43:41 »

I revised it quite a bit.....

My Development Schedule
Mina

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2007, 16:52:14 »

The spell uses the techniques of Sphere I to increase the influence of the Fire ounía in the air to make it warmer. Then the mage taps on the heat property of the Fire ounía to increase the temperature of the air.
These say pretty much the same thing.  Basically you make the Fire ounia express the heat property, and at the same time increase their influence, which together makes the air warmer. 

Other than that, there are some slight grammar problems, but I think that's it. 

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]