Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ghun'gob - The Abandoned Mines of the Gob-orcs  (Read 10542 times)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 14 September 2007, 07:41:10 »

Overview.
There are many tunnels underneath the Tandala Highlands, and some of them are not only filled with goblins. At the eastern part of the Highlands, near the Adanian Sea, there stands a door leading to a mysterious cavern: Ghun'gob.

Ghun'gob, a name given by the goblins who lived in these tunnels. It means "Cursed Cave" in Tharian. But it had many more names in the past, inscribed in its walls and its doors but those names are now forgotten.  

Some say that these caverns where made by dwarves long forgotten. Its rich history is now lost by either the battle that it once held or by the slow decay of time. Now, Helvíl Ypherén, an elven traveler searched the nearly forgotten mines of what was left and what survived to tell about its past.

Location.
The mines of Ghun'gob are located at the eastern parts of the Tandala Highlands, near the Adanian sea. The tunnels are mainly located underneath Hár Mountains and it extends to the other side of the mountain range, near the Rayne river that passes through the Tandala Highlands. 

Function.
Some rumours exists that these were the tunnels that helped the orcs from the north to get to southern Sarvonia faster during the Third Sarvnoian War. Others say that these were one of the tunnels that were made by the now extinct Yllosian Dwarves.

Regardless of its origins or past usage, the goblins of Tandala recently used these tunnels for a mine. But something drove the goblins away from the tunnels and from its riches. Now it stands like an ornament under Tandala. No one had the courage to venture to Ghun'gob since then for they heard the stories of the goblins and the rumours about what drove the them away.

It is still usuable for a shortcut through Tandala but only a fool would dare to use this passage to get to the Northern parts of Sarvonia.

Description.

"I have searched most of the tunnel's rooms and passages. Most of them did not interest me as they did not show anything exceptional nor valuable. Most of them are filled with goblin made object but some of the things there did not look like goblin designs. But there are certain areas of the Ghun'gob that interests me the most."

Northern Gates:
The gates located at the north is quite massive in appearance. It stands about 2 peds tall with a width of 2 and a half peds. It is made of solid stones; filled with runes that I cannot comprehend.

If inspected closely it seemed that it can only be opened from the inside as it would take a huge amount force to open it from the other side. Inside, there exists some sort of machinery that might have been used to open the gates. It would take quite a number of dwarves or goblins to rotate the handle of the device. Though the device is quite useless now since the gate has been stuck open for who knows how long.

It seemed that whatever built these magnificent tunnels wishes to protect the northern side of the tunnels since the gates are quite durable that it even stood against time for many years now and it still retained its beauty compared to the gates at the south. But there are also some marks created by sharp and blunt objects but nonetheless, the gates are still a marvel compared to anything built today.

Southern Gate:
Strangely, the gates at the south are just made of wood reinforced with iron bars. And it only stood about 1 and a half peds high with a width of 2 peds. Unlike the gates at the north, this gate now lays in ruin. Only a part of it survived against the tests of time and of the harsh wars that might have occured in this area. 

"This gate now lays in ruin. Open for anything that desires to enter the dark mine of Ghun'gob. Anything, may it be an enemy or a friend of those who built this place. When I entered, I felt that the air grew thicker and heavier. I carved with my sword in the nearby wall; a warning to those who are foolish enough like me to enter the dark places of Ghun'gob. "Beware traverlers! Lighten your footsteps for you might disturb the silence that resides in Ghun'gob. There are more fouler things in here than you might expect."

Halls:
The halls and passages of Ghun'gob are quite amazing even though they are quite old. The walls of the halls are filled with many strange writings but most of it has been erased by time. The columns that supports it are quite large and beautiful in appearance.

I do not know what it looked like in the past but now, the halls are filled with goblin remains. Swords and spears are scattered across the floor. The stench of rotting flesh is still in the air. And a dark aura seems to be present around these halls. 

Secret Room:
The Ghun'gob mine is filled with many rooms but one of them stands among the rest. It is quite large in appearance but I was not able to look inside as fear took me. I will described my feelings when I was heading towards this room:

"As I came nearer to the doors of this great room, I felt that the darkness in the tunnels grew thicker that even the torch that I held lit with fire seemed dark. I looked upon the hallways that led to other passages and I was tempted to go those ways. I gathered my scattered courage and overcame my fears but when I heard a deep growl not far away from where I was, I decided to turn back for I felt that something is at work there that should not be disturbed. Something that is darker and mightier than I and I do not wish to end my life out of foolish curiosity."

-Helvíl Ypherén

The Bridge of Ghun'gob:
Near the hall that leads to the northern gates, there exists a bridge. The bridge is about 1 peds wide and 5 peds long. It is plain in appearance. There is nothing on it, may it be designs of the goblins that once lived there or like the runes that can be seen in the halls and in the northern gates.

The Lake of Ghun'gob:
Underneath the bridge of Ghun'gob there exists a lake. It is quite big in appearance. Its water is quite clear but the bottom cannot be seen from above. The stairs leading towards the lake are now broken and there might be another way to get down there but I found none.

Mines:
Upon nearing the northern parts of the tunnels, the walls starts to look old and very dirty. The columns increase in numbers and became smaller in size. There were carts, railings, and pickaxes along the way and many other things that must have belonged to the miners.

The earth is quite rough and very uncomfortable to the touch. The echoes of my footsteps have become softer. The air however did not become more pleasant. The air grew even thicker while I go on but the air got colder and the breeze have become somewhat stronger.

History.
Many rumours exists about the origins and the histories of Ghun'gob. People believe that these tunnels where created by the extinct Ylossian dwarves that lived in Tandala centuries ago.

Regardless of its origins, it is also believed to be the tunnels used by orcs during the Third Sarvonian War to get to the south much faster. Unfortunately, according to legend and history; if this is really the tunnels built by the Ylossian, then the orcs should have never found the gates of the tunnels. According to history, dark elves who attacked and killed the Ylossian for the fabled treasure of Aephesvil, cast many spells to  hide the gates.

Some scholars believe that Ghun'gob is a hidden extension of the main Ylossian tunnels. And its secrecy kept it safe from the dark elves. It is also believe that these tunnels hides the fabled treasure of Aephesvil but no one is sure.

A few years after the Third War, goblins started to populate this nearly forgotten mines. A record book was kept in one of the rooms that I have ventured in. On the first few pages, the goblins recorded their first arrival:

"We have arrived in this forgotten mines. We found some bones which belonged to short creatures. Some of us have clean it up. We stay here now! Many gems and many ores here! We smith and we work! We are happy!
                                                                                                                               -Book of Records

They seemed happy when they arrived in the tunnels. But when I scanned the last few readable pages of the dusty book, I was horrified by what was written:

"The beast has come! The beast has come! We are trapped. It has taken over the mines in the north, including the gate! We cannot get out! The southern door are now guarded by traitors! We cannot get out! We cannot send any messages at all! The beast is too powerful. Our spears and shields cannot protect us anymore. We cannot get out!"
                                                                                                                              -Book of Records

It seemed that the things that drove the goblins out was horrifying. Whatever drove the goblins must be dangerous that even the numbers of the goblins cannot match it. That is the last page of the book of records.

To this day, the mines have been abandoned. Not any orc or any man have ever dared enter it. But upon the dark corners of Ghun'gob; there lies creatures that were twisted by darkness. What they are? I do not know. Where did they come from? Is an enigma to me.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 06:19:03 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

I was known as Shansi before :)
My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2007, 21:35:36 »

I have revised it and corrected many grammar mistakes...

My Development Schedule
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2007, 21:49:48 »

You still have a
tag at the bottom of the entry. Though you should no.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2007, 21:56:58 »

Thanks Niccolli and I hope that you would also tell me things that you see wrong or good in my entry so that I could fix it and make it better..  grin
« Last Edit: 16 September 2007, 21:59:10 by Helvíl Ypherén » Logged

My Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2007, 04:11:00 »

Ok, let's check this one:

yellow ... changes/additions
orange ... comments
grey ... unclear passages

Overview.
The Ghun'gob, or Kroch'gob as it was once called, was the home of the Goblins that reside in the Highlands of Tandala. Its name in the past, Kroch'gob, means "Good Cave", it was named so because some say that these were the tunnels that let the orcs from the north pass through the Tandala Highlands during the Third Sarvonian War. The name Ghun'gob which means "The Cursed Caves" was given to the tunnels after the goblins (No capital letters for races! I don't change that at the whole entry, please do it yourself.) who have taken residence inside it, fled from the darkness of the tunnels. (Erm... If one doesn't interpret this properly one might assume that a torch would have done the job... Maybe writing something like "dark presence" would be better.) It was mainly used as a mine for a few years by the Goblins after the Third Sarvonian War, and there they created many great weapons that even surpassed those that were made by the Dwarves. (Gob-Ocs might be good weapon producers as far as orcs are concerned, but I doubt that they are that intelligent to surpass the excellent dwarven smiths!)

These tunnels have nearly been forgotten by the goblins though they have not forgotten the fear that their ancestors felt when they fled from the tunnels. Only rumours of it exists during these days, and these rumours intrigued the elven traveler, Helvíl Ypherén who was the first who entered the tunnels after a long time. He traveled the mines, although he did not wander too deep in the tunnels for he felt that something was at work there. 

Location.
The mines of Ghun'gob are located at the eastern parts of the Tandala Highlands, near the Adanian sea. The tunnels are mainly located underneath the mountains of Allsiscaey and extend to the other side of it, near the river that passes through the Tandala Highlands. (Here's the river map to get a name for the river. If you click the left side claw of the Forum you'll see a bunch of menu entries displayed, there you can also find that river map. The Alssiscaey Mountains aren't part of the Tandala however, and aren't in Gob'Oc territory neither, this is already Santharian territory. Gob'Oc live on the northern side of the Tandala. You might invent a name for a certain valley if you like where you can place your mine.)

Function.
It was discovered by Orcs during the Third Sarvonian War and they used it as a shortcut to get to the South much faster than going around the Highlands of Tandala. (How about mentioning some sources, adding a quote here and there? As how did this Compendium writer know all about this and could finally move out to see it himself? Strewing some things like that in makes things much more exciting and at the same time realsitic.)

People say that the cave the Gob-Oc expanded was one of the secret tunnels of the extinct Ylossian Dwarves. (You might sketch them a bit here so that people know a bit about what you're talking, and that it were dark elves of the Hovel Frond that randsacked the tunnels etc. Try to be a bit more specific.) Its secrecy kept it safe from the Elves who attacked the Dwarves, searching for the fabled treasure of the Dwarven half-god, Aephesvil. Rumours of old tell us that these tunnels were the ones that kept the fabled horde, the clandestine coffers of Aephesvil, although no one is sure about this rumours and only a few have tried to enter the tunnels seeking for this treasure, as they have learned how to fear the darkness that resides inside it. (Note: I guess the Ylossians lived mainly in the western part of the Tandalas, so you could point that out and suggest that the theory is a bit unlikely that Ghun'gob is directly linked to the Ylossian tunnels. At least it's doubtful. Maybe these tunnels weren't directly connected to the Ylossian system, but were some sort of attempt to establish another mining area elsewhere, but the dwarven didn't get as far as they had hoped...)

After the Third Sarvonian War, some of the Goblins were enticed by the great things that were in there, except for the skeletons that seemed like Dwarven but time has destroyed most of the things that can describe their origins. These Goblins came back and forth to the tunnels and took the things that they could find lovely or valuable to them. Most of these are weapons, jewels, gems, and many great things that was forged or grew there a long time ago. Soon after, the Goblins decided to take residence inside the tunnels and it became their home for quite sometime. There they mined ores and forged them into many weapons though they did not join in any recent wars. (Again here in this paragraph some sources or quotes are in order - you seem to know quite a bit. More than you can possibly know without being properly informed by an inside source. Gob-Oc BTW actually joined in recent wars, though they are not mentioned on the site, only on the Forum as of yet, see here - search for Goblins. What kind of ore could be found in the Tandala can be seen on this resources map in development by the way with a legend here.)

The tunnels can be used as a shortcut through the Tandal Highlands but the way is dangerous that a few have survived the journey through these dark tunnels.

Description.
Northern Gates:
The gates in the north are made of stone designed with many runes, probably Dwarven. The gates have stood strong against the test of time and from the harsh curses of nature. They stand about 2 peds tall and each of its doors has a width of 2 peds as well.

Southern Gate:
The gates in the south are made of wood and iron, unlike the gates in the northern end. Unfortunately, these gates now lay in ruin and most of the runes that it once held have been destroyed by time and by the war that it has gone through. Like the gates in the north, the gates in the south stands about 2 peds tall and have a width of 2 peds as well.

Halls:
The halls are huge and spacious that makes people disbelieve that the dwarves have made these tunnels. Most of them are filled with runes and decorated with precious gems. The columns that support the tunnel are quite tall, standing about 20 peds in hieght. The columns are also decorated with many runes and many carvings but most of these have faded due to its age.

Dark Room:
The Ghun'gob mine is filled with many rooms but one of them stands among the rest. It is quite large in appearance but I was not able to look inside as fear filled my heart. I described my feelings when I was heading towards this room:

"As I grew (like a mushroom? shocked) near the doors of this great room, I felt that the darkness in the tunnels grew thicker that even the torch that I held lit with fire seemed dark. I looked upon the hallways that led to other passages and I was tempted to go those ways. I gathered my scattered courage and overcame my fears but when I heard a deep growl not far away from where I was, I decided to turn back for I felt that something is at work there that should not be disturbed. Something that is dark and mightier than I and I do not wish to end my life out of foolish curiosity."

The Bridge of Ghun'gob:
Near the hall that leads to the northern gates, there exists a bridge. The bridge is about 6 peds wide and 5 peds long. It was carved from the stones of the mountains. It was old but it was still strong but cracks have appeared.

The Lake of Ghun'gon:
Underneath the bridge of Ghun'gob, there is a lake. The lake is quite big when I looked at it from above and it may have taken more than a hundred years to form as I cannot see any rivers nor any streams that could have caused this massive lake. This is all I can say as I couldn't find any passage that leads to a great lake.

(Descriptions here could be a bit more extensive, more atmosopheric - they are quite matter-of-factly at the moment. Try to get the look and feel of this strange location described, it surely must have been an adventure for our researcher to look for these caves... Maybe he also finds something ancient there so that you can say that he's now resarching that closer etc.)

History.
It is said that the Ylossian Dwarves built these great tunnels in secret and its secrecy kept it safe from the Elves who ransacked their homes. (You make quite a bit of singular/plural and tenses mistakes - take care of these!) Rumours also tells us that they hid the fabled treasure of their Father here, in a room where they cast (irregular past tense!) many spells to prevent anyone whose heart did not belong to the Dwarves opening the doors and taking the treasure.

After a great time has passed, when the Ylossian Dwarves had become extinct, a group of Orcs was able to find the doors of this tunnel although some says that the orcs found the main tunnels of the Dwarves that once lived in those tunnels but many believe the first than the latter as the Elves cast many spells to hide the doors from anyone. Regardless of that, these Orcs used the tunnels underneath the mountains to travel towards the south during the Third Sarvonian War. (Sources! For example: A Gob-Oc general might have been killed in the Third Sarvonian war, and he had a map with him with some detailed notes etc.)

Some of the orcs which were mostly of the Goblin tribe were enticed with the beauty and the majesty of the tunnels and after sometime, they chose to make it their home. They lived there for a great amount of time until something drove them out of the tunnels. I, the first one who traveled in the mines after quite some time found this book in one of the halls of the mines, though ruined, some parts are still readable (I see you already let your researcher find some information directly in the place - good thing!):

"...It is coming! We have tried to keep this fowl beast at bay but its strength overcame our numbers. It breaths fire that scorched our homes and my people. Our spears and swords cannot pierce its scale and even our shield cannot protect us from its fiery breath. We think that it has taken interest in the secret room, where Dwarven spells were cast too keep anyone from opening it. He is here, the great and terrible..."

I think that it might have been a horned dragon that lives in the peaks of the Tandala Highland. The tunnels were big enough for the dragon to enter and live there and many animals have become astray inside the tunnels and these animals might have been its food. (If you keep the information regarding this beast rather unspecific you could also suggest that it might have been a demon who lived there, like in the dwarven mine in LOTR - as one of the possibilities.)

It is rumoured that the mines are completely abandoned but I saw something in the shadows:

"They say that these tunnels have been long abandoned by the Goblins that had lived there but I think the rumours are wrong. I think I had seen a goblin hiding in the shadows, wielding a bow but the light of my torch drove it away. However, if its a goblin or merely creature that lives in the dark, I am not sure for its form has already been twisted by the darkness."

------------------------

Okeydokey - not bad, Helvíl - and much more workable than your other attempt with the War of the Chosen artifact! Take a look at my suggestions and see what you can still add/adjust, but looks good in general :D  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2007, 06:05:02 »

Thank you Artimidor!  cry I was crying for not being able to recieve a comment for a couple of hours  grin

P.S. Hehehehe about a demon in the tunnels sounds great! I would do it as soon as I get some sleep...  grin
« Last Edit: 17 September 2007, 06:07:42 by Helvíl Ypherén » Logged

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2007, 22:16:26 »

I have edited the entry according to Artimidor's suggestions...

My Development Schedule
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2007, 03:39:04 »

There's no need to cry if you don't get comments immediately, Helvil - we all have private lives and other entries are waiting as well for commenting. Besides, commenting on other entries isn't strictly forbidden, you know...  grin

I saw you made some adjustments, but there's some more possible with the comments I provided, e.g. the demon idea or some quotes added in etc. - try to give these some thoughts as well to improve your entry ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2007, 07:40:51 »

I'll try my best, as soon as I wake up 

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2007, 18:49:21 »

I would also be creating a library entry for this, maybe I could refer to it for the complete info? There I will write my story on how I stumbled on the rumours and what happened to me in the tunnels...

I have done some edits again!

Edit: Oh yeah, Is it okay to name the mountains that I have chosen, Shansi?

My Development Schedule
Niccoli
Aspiring Member

Somewhere North of South

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2007, 20:09:05 »

I don't think so, they probably already have a name (just not on the big map)

It's Gob-OCs. All orchish tribes use the OC suffix, to denote that they are orcish.

"It's a poor atom blaster that doesn't point both ways."
-Salvor Hardin
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2007, 20:13:23 »

Niccoli, Artimidor have given me a chance to neame a mountain and I hope that it is not named yet, well I can't see the name in the maps anyway  grin

And by correcting the name Gob-ocs, you mean the title?

My Development Schedule
Gaffin
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 12

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2007, 02:31:08 »

I would also be creating a library entry for this, maybe I could refer to it for the complete info? There I will write my story on how I stumbled on the rumours and what happened to me in the tunnels...

Hate to seem mean, but that is no excuse to be lazy and leave out important details that directly pertain to the entry itself. You shouldn't make people hop from one page to another just to fill in the lines.

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Henry David Thoreau
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2007, 06:33:26 »

What I mean above is that I would also write a journal type of writing with all the details on what happnened to me in the tunnels. The entry that I have written and edited, I think is quite complete as some of the things written there like the finding of a series of tunnels under Tandala by Orcs during the Third Sarvonian war are known as a fact. Although no one knows if it is the main tunnels or these tunnels.

Of course, the entry is quite different than the library entry. This one focuses on the buildings but the library entry focuses on me, my feelings and such.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2007, 06:57:27 by Helvíl Ypherén » Logged

My Development Schedule
Helvíl Ypherén
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2007, 18:39:38 »

Waiting for comments still..

My Development Schedule
Pages: [1] 2 3