Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Gnomish Vocabulary and Grammar Discussion  (Read 37447 times)
Gaffin
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 12

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2007, 00:53:51 »

Hubba-hubba wha'?  shocked *Enters dictionary.com*

Err... yeah, I'll think of that, once I can decipher it...  undecided At the moment, though, do you have any gripes with the existing suggested phonemes?

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Henry David Thoreau
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2007, 01:08:04 »

Well, you know these stuff much better than I do, Anwulf.   :P

5. (For later.) What are the derivational morphemes of the language?
Rayne did some here.  I don't know if they're being kept though. 

6. What is the syntax of the major clause constituents of the language? SVO like English; SOV like Japanese or Vedic Sanskrit; VSO like the Afro-Asiatic languages or the Celtic languages?
From the discussion above, it looks like SVO. 

7. What's the structure of the phrase? Do modifiers follow their heads (so most VO languages, including VSO languages)? Or do modifiers precede their heads (so most OV languages)?
It's looking like verb modifiers follow the verb while noun modifiers preceed the noun.  Is this realistic, or should it be the same for both nouns and verbs? 

Gaffin: In case you didn't get that, S=subject, O=object, V=verb

But it's possibly for languages to have the marked member of such a pair while the unmarked sound is absent. It's called an accidental gap.

So it's possible, just very unusual? 

Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2007, 01:14:53 »

The problem is, Gnomes don't think in terms of derivational morphemes or clause constituents. They're a very observative race, so it's probably more like:

"I need a way to tell this moron what I mean!"

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. -Henry David Thoreau
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2007, 01:37:17 »

No one thinks about their language like that, unless they've been studying linguistics or something.  They are ways of structuring speech, so that others who understand the structure (ie. know the grammar) will know what is being said, assuming they know the words too, of course. 

Language can be thought of as a sort of code.  Not only are meanings assigned arbitrarily to sequences of sound (forming words and morphemes and such), there are certain ways the morphemes have to be ordered.  So, those who know the 'code' can understand each other, while those who don't can't. 

Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2007, 03:01:00 »

Alright - so what I'd like to know now is which phonemes people think are unrealistic or unnecessary, so that they can be removed, and which need to be added to the list. Then we can work on the rest of the things Anwulf mentioned...

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 September 2007, 03:12:35 »

Regarding the phonemes:

A good start, but it's not written in a standard phonetic alphabet (as far as I know), which might be confusing.  Anyway...

Consonants:
Ignoring the ones in the appendix for now, they seems mainly fine.  There are a couple of odd things though.  First, you have /z, ʒ, dʒ/ (the IPA symbols for z, zh, and G, if I've intepreted them correctly), but without their voiceless counterparts /s, ʃ, tʃ/ (ʃ is the 'sh' sound in eg. sheep, tʃ is the 'ch' sound in church).  But apparently that's not too much of a problem.  The other thing is that you list 'x' as a phoneme.  In the examples you gave, the letter 'x' actually represents the sequence /ks/, which is not a phoneme. 

I can't quite figure out what cr, L, M, and thd are supposed to be.  Perhaps I'm not following the instructions correctly. 
cr: I tried doing it, but it sounded nothing like a k. 
L: Is it this sound
M: Is this supposed to be a plosive or fricative sound, or something else?  (plosives involve stopping the airflow completely, eg. p, t, k; fricatives constrict the airflow, producing a sort of hissing sound, eg. f, s, sh)
thd: I can't do this at all.  Are you sure it's one sound and not something like t + rr? 

Vowels:
Firstly, I noticed there's no 'ah' sound.  I don't know if this is actually a problem, but I've not yet seen a language without it. 

Your 'E' and 'i' don't seem very different to me.  Are they supposed to represent the sounds in 'beet' and 'bit'?  If so, that's actually a rather rare distinction for languages to make.  But the problem, I think, is that you only have the distinction this one time, which is unusual.  Normally there would be entire sets of phonemes distinguished from each other the same way.  In English, for example, this is the distinction between the sets /i, u/ and /ɪ, ʊ/.  A better example might be the consonants are distinguished by voicing, such as /p, t, k, f s, ʃ, tʃ/ and /b, d, g, v, z, ʒ, dʒ/.  So, I guess what I'm saying is that it might be better to merge them, or add in /ʊ/ (the sound in 'good', according to Wikipedia). 

O: I don't know about you, but the way I pronounce the 'o' in 'ore' is noticably different from how I pronounce it in the other words you gave as examples.  It's actually more like the 'o' in your next set of examples, 'octopus', 'long', and 'doll'.  Otherwise, no problem here, I think. 

A, I, and ou: These are diphthongs I think, probably /ei, ai, au/.  Not a problem either, but it might be better to list them separately.  Also, are there perhaps other diphthongs in the language? 

You should, I think, also avoid using one letter to represent more than one sound.  Otherwise it gets very confusing.  For example, with what you have now, if there is a word that has the letter 'i' in it, how would you know which of the two sounds written as 'i' is it supposed to be representing here?  Spelling the diphthongs with two letters might help.  As for the others, I'm not so sure.   

The fact that you are choosing to spell a sound as 'euh' might also cause problems, as there are already sounds that are written as 'e', 'u', and 'h', if those sounds can occur in that sequence. 

Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2007, 03:21:21 »

This is way over my head. Perhaps I should leave this stuff to the experts.

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2007, 03:31:11 »

Um, I didn't want to discourage you from it.  Is there anything in particular you don't get?  I'll try to help. 

Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2007, 03:38:34 »

Too much stuff to consider, too many terms to remember, too many new concepts with pages full of linguistic jargon to try to understand, trying to discover the difference between one letter and another, and all that good stuff. Basically, even if I memorize the terms of the different categories of sound, I would never be able to apply it to create different sounds. Plus, I don't know what is unusual and what isn't in languages, and I can't write new phonemes anyway, because I don't know how to portray the sound I want with the English letter(s). I'm making stuff up just for the sake of having something different, or additional, than regular languages, and it ends up not making a shred of sense when someone who knows all this stuff comes and throws another website at me.

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2007, 03:50:12 »

Uh...sorry? 
If it helps, there aren't really that many problems with it.  Most of the length of that post came from me trying to explain things as precisely as I could. 

Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2007, 03:54:12 »

It's no problem, I'm just frustrated. Perhaps I will understand it more later.

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 September 2007, 03:59:32 »

That's good.  I was afraid I'd scared you away.  Let me know if you need any help.   :) 

Gaffin
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 September 2007, 04:02:35 »

In relation to your previous post - yes, there aren't that many problems, but you've pointed out one for almost every change I've made to the language, which is already too english-influenced as it is.  undecided

Resident Gnome scholar.
My development schedule
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 September 2007, 04:17:01 »

Well...it's probably better to not think of it as starting from English and then changing a few things.  It's supposed to be completely different, after all.   :)

Well, the thing about having no voiceless counterparts to some of the voiced sounds is probably fine, since apparently Anwulf doesn't think it's really a problem. 

The sounds described in the appendix...maybe you could make a recording or something?  That's normally a lot clearer than trying to describe a sound. 

Vowel-wise, it's really just the 'E' and 'i' thing, I think, and maybe the lack of an 'ah' sound.  Other than that, there's just the potentially confusing spelling. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 17 September 2007, 04:19:42 »

Advice: Don't try to make a sience out of something if we just need a very rough concept how the language looks like. A few cornerstones should suffice perfectly.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.