Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Name the body parts--Please contribute!  (Read 30664 times)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2008, 16:12:18 »

Thanks for clarifying that, Judith--I also hoped for someone to, em, set my bearings straight?  I'm not coming up with the right phrase, but, anyway, thanks for the context of what this town hall is about.

What I'm hoping for is entirely selfish: When a Dalorin, Blood Mage, or other technical person wants to refer to some part of the body, he/she/it should have a jargon name for the body part they're referring to.  It probably would unsettle the average person if a supposedly learned Ximaxian philosopher of medical arts referred to someone's stomach as their 'tum-tum', for example.  So, this is a sort of medical dictionary of anatomy in modern-day Santharia, with notes on alternative nomenclature for various parts.

Deci, I like your suggestion of 'Dedons' largely because it's borrowed from Spanish.  At the same time, Judy's description of the hand digits is elegant and poetic, and I really think we ought to keep that scheme as a major part of this anthology.  Maybe if we could associate the word 'dedon' with a particular tribe or region of Caelereth, we could assign it significance in a certain part of the world?

Judy, thanks for bringing up the organs you just mentioned.  With your permission, I'd like to add those to the first post of this list?

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2008, 16:21:46 »

Oh, one additional thought: The terran medieval concept of blood flow theorized that blood was produced in the heart, flowed out to all parts of the body through the veins, and returned by some miraculous, undetected osmosis or some sort of transport.  The idea of a closed-circuit of blood circulation didn't come until later; roughly in the Renaissance, I think?

So, there would be no mention of 'arteries' in a medieval text on anatomy, because all blood flowed away from the heart in veins.  Blood returning to the heart in another sort of tubes (arteries) couldn't be proven until the idea of oxygenation of the blood, and extraction of oxygen from the blood by peripheral tissues, could be demonstrated several centuries after our time frame of reference.

--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 13 January 2008, 17:11:32 »

Here are some suggestions, just to get things started:

Neckthong veins (for subclavian arteries)
Trigus veins (for terran brachial veins & arteries)
Foretwist veins (for radial & ulnar arteries)
Belt veins (for iliac arteries)
Loin veins (for femoral arteries & veins)
Greeve veins (for saphenous arteries & veins)

Brain
Spinal marrow (for spinal cord)
Spinal column, consists of spinal bones
  Segments: Neck, back, girdle
Bullshead nerve net (for brachial plexus)
Girdle nerve net (for lumbosacral plexus)
Trystus nerve (for median nerve)
Foretwist nerve (for radial nerve)
Neathtwist nerve (for ulnar nerve)
Forethigh nerve (for femoral nerve)
Flank nerve (for sciatic nerve)
Ladle nerve (for tibial nerve)
Tang nerve (for peroneal nerve)

Eyes
Eye pigments (for retina) (no singular form)
Eye root (for optic nerve)
Eye crystal (for lens)

Nose
Nostrils
Gremar eminence, abbr. Gremar (for bridge of nose)
Nasal stanchion (for nasal septum)
Nasal chambers (for paranasal sinuses)
Nasal flaps (for nasal turbinates)

Ear
Earlobe
Ear fanion (upper, cartilaginous part of outer ear)
Ear passage (for auditory canal)
JaYehruhntinn (Thergerim "Ear hammering", for eardrum)

Any ideas?

--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 14 January 2008, 04:05:31 »

A few more random thoughts:

Peduncle (for appendix)
Bowels (for, well, bowels)
Bladder (for urinary bladder)
Bile reservoir (for gall bladder)
Bedrock, or wellspring of choler (for spleen)
Kidneys, or Polulinn Ankulka (Thergerim, "laughing water")
Suet (for adipose tisse)

Still ruminating on names for the genitalia.  Animal names might be tolerable for colloquial usage, but probably not acceptable for technical jargon.  Any ideas?

--Master Yoda
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2008, 07:25:52 »

WARNING:  PG-13 rated material may be included in this post...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love 'fanion'!  And 'stanchion' - and 'bedrock'...     

Why Gremar?  Shouldn't it be Gebl, famous for his...um... nose?  (blinks innocently)

Have to regretfully nix the ThergerimTaal though, as dwarves just don't do dissections.... no one would borrow 'technical' language from them for anatomy.  Mining, digging, stones and ores - well, that's another matter!  But if you want to use the same derivations from gnomish, that's fine.

'Kidneys' then might be 'hygronki' (quasi-latin 'hy' to suggest water, 'gron' to suggest dirt or filth, and 'ki' just to sound gnomic... (giggles) - and if we could find how Gnomish pluralizes things, that would be important too.

'Eardrum' is actually rather nice as is, with its 'kenning' of drumhead, pounding, vibration, etc.   But how about 'Trrtuk' or 'Tuntuk' - an oenomatopaic (sp?) naming that also suggests vibration and drumming?

How about 'bilewell' for gallbladder?  'Mumbles' refers to all the organs in the body cavity, doesn't it?   Where were the 'lights' in the expression 'liver and lights'?
'Apple of the eye' literally meant the pupil once, didn't it?

'Retina' might be more elegantly rendered as 'Eyetint', 'Eyebanners' (in the heraldic sense of showing one's colours) or merely 'buckler' ('Her eyes were piercing, their bucklers an icy blue like the winter sky..."

We forgot the hamstring! (no Achilles in this universe)

Genitals:  OK, I've tried to use discretion here!

Male parts:   Staff, globes, ceedsac, ceedveins
Female parts:  Escutcheon, honourseal, nubbin / womb, eyrenvase, lillylines (ovaries and tubes)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 14 January 2008, 09:05:04 »

Wow, this is terrific, Judy!  grin  I'll have to go point by point through this:

• Okay, so 'fanion', 'stanchion', and 'bedrock' stay.
  • Thanks, didn't know Gebl was thus...endowed. [ahem] So, the nasal bridge shall be called the Gebl.
  • 'Hygronki' sounds sufficiently Gnomish to me.  From what I've read, they pluralize by adding "i" to the end of the singular noun, so maybe 'hygronk' could denote one kidney?
  • 'Eardrum' sounds good to me, if you say it's genuine Tharian.  And, great idea--how about we go with 'Tuntuk' as the Gnomish jargon for eardrum?
  • 'Bilewell' does roll off the tongue better.
  • Thanks, I forgot about 'mumbles'!  What a great word!
  • I confess my ignorance.  What, exactly, are the 'lights' in 'liver and lights'?
  • 'Apple of the eye'--brilliant!  Could we use 'eyebanners' for the irises, and maintain 'eye pigments' for the retinas?
  • 'Hamstrings'!!!  What a fool I've been, all these long years, to have forgotten 'hamstrings'!
  • May I suggest 'haunches' to refer to the buttocks?
Re: vis-a-vis, with particular attention to, the, em, genitalia.  Any Swedish speakers, please don't hate me for this suggestion!
Okay, here's a suggestion I have: What if we looked at the original terms in Latin, translated them to Swedish (which looks a little like Gnomish to me), and then scramble the letters a bit so that we have genuinely Santharian jargon terms?
  • 'Svranf', Gnomish for "tail"
  • 'Virkilf', Gn. for "fold"
  • 'Purtverfka', Gn. for "pouch"
  • 'Kopkin', Gn. for "button"
  • 'Myrnin', Gn. for "orifice/opening"
« Last Edit: 14 January 2008, 09:10:38 by Kelancey the Green » Logged

--Master Yoda
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2008, 10:45:35 »

WARNING:  This message contains a serious discussion of possible Tharian (Santharian language resembling English) names for genitalia.  The relevant names are provided in English.  If you are under 13, or not allowed to view such words in your country, or are easily offended, please just go away and read something else.  There's plenty of choices!  Thanks...

Kelancy and anyone else who IS over 13 and wants to discuss naming of body parts in a mature and broadminded manner, go ahead and scroll down...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swedish!  Absolutely brill!   OK, so there are the gnomish words - I like them all.  As an aside, who's working on Gnomic at the moment; anyone besides me informally?

Next step:  derive the Tharian word for those parts from the gnomish words!
Which gives us the following.....  (new suggestions have question marks)

MALE EXTERNALS

Gluteus maximus: rump, tail, seat, buttocks
Penis:  staff, male organ (?)
Testicles:  globes, seedsacs, fatherglands
Scrotum:  pouch, purka, purfa (from the gnomish 'Purtverfka')

MALE INTERNALS
Prostate: red walnut (?)
Vesicales: seedfields (?)
Urethra: urine channel (?)

FEMALE EXTERNALS

Gluteus maximus: rump, tail, seat, buttocks
Pubis (all-inclusive): escutcheon
Labia:  lips, petals, 'kilfi' (plural form of 'kilf', lip, from the gnomish)
Clitoris: nubbin (?) kopkin (from the gnomish), honourseal

FEMALE INTERNALS

Vaginal canal: birth canal, myrnin
Uterus: womb, eyrenvase (?)
Ovaries & fallopians: lilylines, courseveins (mistakenly associated with menstrual functions)

Have I forgotten anything?  Comments and suggestions welcome!

NOTE:  I highly doubt that we will see any of these words used frequently in entries, whether in bestiary entries to describe mating proceedures, in Santharian love poetry, or the first Santh erotic short stories,  but one never knows when one might need the correct word.  And I'm not sure about where to post the finished result, either, as we don't want people searching for either p0rn or medical information to stumble across our little glossary and get the wrong idea  grin

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Aurora Damall
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 January 2008, 12:24:40 »

I think all are good ideas, EXCEPT for the prostate referred to as red walnut. This rings wierd and unatural in my ears.
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 14 January 2008, 17:16:00 »

I second Aurora's vote--Judith, these terms all look marvelous!   thumbup thumbup Two thumbs up, way up!  But, as to Sage Damall's remark about 'red walnut', I agree, that might require a second look.

Might we hypothesize that modern-day Santharians view the prostate as the male seat of physical love or passion?  Thus, I think something which conjures the image of red seems appropriate.  Without wandering into the realm of harlequin romance, could we invent something along a similar thread?

Red collar?
  Haloen furnace?
  Crimson nest, or nidus?

I think 'lilylines' and 'courseveins' are especially fitting for the Santharian perspective of courses, and I prostrate myself in veneration of your muse, Masterbard!  worship

I shall leave the dilemma of how to shelve these terms to the sagacity of our Webmaster.  innoc
« Last Edit: 14 January 2008, 18:59:34 by Kelancey the Green » Logged

--Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 15 January 2008, 10:01:34 »

Additions have been incorporated into the first post, but be warned, it contains (parenthetical) references to actual anatomical names.  Thanks for reading, and further input is very much appreciated!

--Master Yoda
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2008, 05:05:41 »

Woo, looking good!  A few suggestions/refinements for you to think about:

Still feeling so-so about 'eyepigments'....  I suppose because with our technological level we wouldn't really know what the retina does and would name it for what we guess at or what it looks like.

how about 'retina: eyeyolk' (because of its appearance and because we believe it 'feeds' the eye as the yolk in eyren feeds the chick?)
pupils:  'eyewells'?  'portals'?
optic nerve (since we seem to be able to detect most major nerves): eyetreddle (again, using the egg image - the 'treddle' is the thick stringy bit of white that holds the clear white to the yolk sac, which you see in any egg you've ever cracked... :) )

prostate:  I used 'walnut' for its size and shape, but I like the thought that it's the seat of male desire!   How about 'Ethernut', honouring Etherus?  Or 'Ethhame', if you want something subtler....   :P

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 16 January 2008, 09:18:31 »

Judy, with your mastery, you could name all the body parts "George" and I'd be nothing but supportive.  These terms you've provided, and the rationale behind each one, are excellent!

So, do these look okay?
Eyeyolk (for retina; Santharians believe the eyeyolk feeds the eye, just as the yolk in eyren feeds the chick)
Portals (for pupils)
Eyetreddle (for optic nerve; Santharians believe the eyetreddle anchors the eyeyolk to the eye)
Ethernut (for prostate; the name derives from Etherus, God of Passion)

**WARNING: Another 'naughty' word coming.  Kids under 13, find another link to click on!

Here's a suggestion:
Rearguard, or Gnomish 'Vinduin' (lit. "window") (for anus)
« Last Edit: 01 July 2012, 23:09:08 by Kelancey the Green » Logged

--Master Yoda
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 25 June 2012, 14:42:50 »

(bumpsies)

Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 16 August 2012, 01:34:27 »

I can see this will clearly need anatomical illustrations.  Since I am by no means an illustrator, can anyone suggest an artist I could commission to draw these body parts?  Any suggestions would be most helpful!

--Master Yoda
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 16 August 2012, 06:13:21 »

Kelancy, I think you got already somebody....  (not me!)

You could count me in for some more anatomical illustrations, too...

*points at the masterwork thread*

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.