Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Santharian Tribes Project, Part III (revisited)  (Read 5430 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 04 February 2008, 00:05:37 »

Okeydokey, here we go again - new tribe pictures will be drawn soon as part of the Tribes illustration project! Short summary: I personally will commission artworks by Santharian artists to draw tribe representative pictures in the style of Quellion's Volkek-Oshra, Faugar's Yllferhim or Eratin's Kuglimz Lancer. As usual these three artists are the focus of such tribe projects. However, knowing that Eratin has to deal with the illness of his dad and the fact that he still couldn't finish the Windsinger so far, he will first have to finish the old project's works, and then we can move on.

I got confirmation of Quellion so far that he'll go for another round of 5 pics, and I've sent a mail to Faugar, though he was still dealing with an orc picture a year ago, and since then I haven't heard much from him regarding new drawings. At any rate, Quellion is free by Wednesday already, and once he is done with Hubert, he can start with a first tribe.

As always this basically means:

- Sarvonian tribes only
- Format ratio (width and height) will always be similar to this one
- pics should go with already nicely elaborated entries (or such that are in the works and about to be finished)
- descriptions are necessary regarding pose, clothes, background etc.
- if you have ideas what to add to the pictures that could make an own seperate imagine in another entry, don't hesitate to specify that and it will be realized as well

Personally I thought definitely to get the following done:

- The Serphelorian Me... err... Wo-men
- The Zirghurim Dwarves
- The Caltharians (we've got one there already, but with the new entry being nearly completed, we could make another one that fits the updated description even better)

I'm willing to also make one exception to the Sarvonian rule and take in the winner of the annual Tribe's Award 2007, so this would be Mira's Ter'ei'Vikh.

Further suggestions, comments, ideas - please let me know :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2008, 05:08:15 »

Grunok has already sent me a detailed description of how she imagines the picture, so here it goes:

A Serphelorian Woman.

Appearance.
Let's have an older woman to balance the Sophronian entry's young AD&D manual seteotypical-ness.  Grey in her hair, or all grey if he would prefer.  Otherwise the base of her hair colour should be a relatively light brown.  Her skin tone should be lighter than that of an Eyelian, but should be tanned fairly dark.  Her face should be much as I described in the entry - a strong nose and jaw, a high forehead, thick eyebrows and large eyes.  Her eye colour can be his choice, to suit the colour scheme.  She should be very tall, and well-muscled rather than skinny, and she should look medium-ly attractive but not stunning - and definitely more handsome, as opposed to 'pretty'.

Her hair should be long, and wavy; it should be styled into two small, practical buns at either side of the head toward the top back (sort of a Japanese (Nara Period) style; too small, high and far back to be Princess Leia-esque), but with a lot of hair still left to come out of the buns and fall down her back (or be caught in the wind).

Clothing.
She should be a military Champion or First from the Order of Seyella, so she would wear a green (the colour of the green on the CoA) cloak over the typical uniform for the Order, which is blowing slightly in the wind (it's pretty heavy fabric).  Her breast bindings would be dark grey (although if her hair is to be all grey, her bindings should be a mid- to light-grey).  She should also have one award fror katmoh (as described in the organisation section of the army, under ranks and awards) on her belt.

Other.
As a high member of the Order, she should definitely have kaiarxur tattoos.  Let's have them on her forearms, and on her neck and cheeks.  These would be in the shape of swirls and organic-looking patterns, perhaps with an owl (Seyella) hidden in there somewhere.  The kaiarxur colour should be paler than her skin.  You can send him that terrible colour swatch of mine if you'd like.

Weapons.
Hmm, this is a difficult one.  She definitely needs a sword; let's make it a sabre as they are often horse-mounted.  A pair of slim throwing daggers could protrude from her boots.  I think too much else could clutter the image, but if she were holding/leaning on a halberd that could work - it would be up to Quellion though.

Pose.
She should show the typical traits of the tribe, so her pose should show that she is carefree - head high and laughing, cloak thrown back over one shoulder, blowing slightly in the wind (it is heavy fabric) and a hand on her hip (though this is not essential - the hand could be wresting on the pommel of her sword, or grasping that possible halberd).  She should be looking directly at the viewer though, with the glint of a challenge in her eyes as though the joke she is laughing at is slightly goading the viewer, to see if they are up for a fight.  Not looking too mean though.

Scenery.
Well, I wrote a bit about Brinsley's architecture in the tribe entry - it could be fun to have this depicted.  She could be standing on a hill above Brinsley, beside the road to it on the side of the Zeiphyrian (west).  The view behind her would be a a gentle drop to the first buildings (some of the iconic, tall connected and propped up round towers) of Brinsley, with the large town stretching away to the misty Thaehelvil river in the distance.  It could be winter - snow on the tops of the hills, though not too close to the river.  How about having her be close to a farmer's fields (she is on the outskirts of a town, after all), and have some pigs in the picture?  Mmm, sweet as Chrondra bacon.  Although these would be more likely to end up as Brinsley pickled pork, and sausages... lol

Other uses:  Obviously in the Army entry, in the Brinsley entry when it eventuates, and in the pigs entry if you take that idea.

-------------------------------

Sounds perfectly fine to me - I can also arrange with Quellion perhaps that he draws part of the Brinsley background in the picture and that he uses this part to complete it as a seperate picture with some extras in it like a pig or something and a plant in the foreground. Something like that. Then we can also show a typical town, and this is something we need anyway sooner or later to get impressions of the Places we develop! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2008, 06:36:52 »

I call describing the Zirg!  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2008, 06:41:57 »

Yeah, that was part of the idea :D - Hope we get those last touches at the tribe entries done as well soon ;)

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2008, 05:07:32 »

I'm stealing the template!

A Ter'ei'Vikh Man.

Appearance.
This is a young man, probably about 17-18 years old. (Already an adult for several years in the "vikh society.) Skin tone and general build as per the entry. Also, the slightly androgynous build of the tribe can be put into place here, so he will be of slender build, with no hints of facial hair and the like.  Eye colour can be just about anything you want, as long as there is no blue. Multiple colors are also not uncommon among the "Vikh, so feel free to do whatever you like best.

Hair, yes.. I suppose a short ponytail would serve our purposes most, as the pulled-back hair will reveal the black Mark of Vikthi  most obviously. (Due to his ppose however, the actual tail may be out of sight.)

Clothing.
The Ter'ei'Vikh use two materials for clothing; hides, and vinewoven fabrics, and they prefer the latter.. He will wear mocassin-like, simple leather shoes, combined with a vinewoven turei+sash (see tribe entry) and a 'camouflaging' cloak with the hood on his back (we need to see his hair), woven from sturdy vines. Perhaps it would be nice to show the cloak acutally still supporting small leaves/side branches here and there.

Other.
The Mark of Vikthi is one of the most important characteristics of the tribe, and it has to be quite obvious.. specific details of how it is drawn will be provided as soon as i have managed to speak to Coren about this, as the Mark needs to be identical to the Eye of Ankriss of the Kreans..

Weapons.
The "Vikh use mainly thrown weapons such as spears, blowdarts, nets, bola's (called 'matans' in the entry) etc... With the Matan listed so prominently, i suppose it would be the best choice.. Three wooden balls about the size of a small apple, each connected to a cord, with the tree cords intertwining in the centre without any visible knot. (Yes, this one gets its own weapon entry if i can borrow Ruil from Decipher ;)) Perhaps he could be spinning it already, (much like one swings a slingshot) and we'll make it a hunter.

Pose.
A half-crouch probably, peering intently at something slightly to the side of the viewer. (probably a prey animal). He is standing on a tree limb, and has a carefully balanced appearance. One arm held slightly back, spinning the matan, the other held out a bit in front to keep as steady as possible.

Scenery.
A wide variety of options are valid here... Since we are on a hunting trip, there will not be any buildings in sight, so the general feel is 'jungle'. If you want, a specific plant or two from the region can be added, such as the easilly recognisable Waterfruits. There should be a definite hint of foggyness to the scene, with objects appearing slightly hazed after a couple of peds. We are also several peds off the forest ground (if you can call it ground in the first place), so there is no definite 'floor' in the picture.

Did i miss anything important?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2008, 02:34:28 »

That looks quite fine as a description. I've pointed Quelliion to this thread so that he can pick up descriptions from here or ask questions. I assume that as soon as he's available he'll have a look.

Grunok the Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2008, 04:02:37 »

Okay, I thought I'd post a few resources here so that Quellion doesn't have to go digging for things. 

He'll probably want the tribe description.  Her appearance is pretty much described in the above post, but he will need it to draw Brinsley: The first four paragraphs and the last paragraph of the Housing section are the most relevant to that.

The submission on the Army will help with her clothing.  Thus, the Clothing section, and the subheading under Organisation called 'Ranks and Awards' is relevant.

Here is the image which shows the colour-fading of the tattoos.  They start out the first colour, and over time fade to a lighter colour, bringing prestige.  Therefore, the older she is, the lighter her tattoos should be.  The last two colours are most properly called kaiarxur (the colour of prestige), but if the grey in her hair is subtle, the middle colour will do fine.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2008, 17:47:34 »

Quellion just confirmed that he starts with the Serphelorian woman - and no problem regarding the elaborate background  number1

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2008, 16:37:28 »

Also got a reply from Faugar finally. He's quite busy with work and additionally he has a 4 pictures commissioning project at the moment, with the hope to have that finished in 1-2 weeks.

In short: It seems that he can get to Santharian commissions in 2 weeks or so. As he has still an orc/warg picture to finish getting this done will be his primary objective, then we can look further what's in store for Faugar. If someone can provide further concrete descriptions for Sarvonian tribes, be my guests. Only what is described properly here can be realized as a picture.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2008, 02:34:39 »

Faugar mailed today - he will finish his last commission this week, so then he should be free for Santharia... Don't count on it, but here's hope that he'll get to our orc this time.

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2008, 06:18:45 »

An Eyelian Beastmaster

Appearance.
A stoic man, in his late 20s, early 30s. Kintulhawk (which the Eyelian will hereafter be referred to as) is lean, but strong.  This powerful eyelian has dark hair, tied into a long ponytail, that curls gracefully around his back. His features are sharp, and his profile angular. This sharpness is further accentuated by his short figure. It is a muscular one, but not overly so. Definition is the keyword for this beast master.

Clothing.
The Eyelians tend to dress in loose clothes, and this man is no exception. He wears long shorts, made of a light tan cloth, and an open vest is all that protects his chest from the elements. It is darker then the pants, but is still more tan then brown.
In the Eyelian tradition, Kintilhawk wears jewlery. Granted, it is not gaudy like the Rovers, but it is noticable. He wears a simple bone necklace around his neck, and a thin, hempen bracelet on his left arm.

Other.
Surrounded by this notorious beast master is a pack of animals, each representing a tribe. An eagle sits perched on his shoulder, a beast as noble as the man who commands it. A wolf is at the man's side, and the Eyelian's hand is reaching towards it. In the distance, behind him, a bear is rearing up in a protective pose.

Weapons.
The Eyelians prefer simple weapons. On Kintilhawk's back is a rudimentary bow, strung and ready for action. In the quiver lie arrows capped with eagle feathers.
The beast master carries a knife in a leather pouch at his side, and a spear in his right hand. The spear is basic, as are his other weapons, but just below the "blade" is a colorful string, with beads tied on at the ends.

Pose.
His pose is as strong as he is. Every spare palmspan the Eyelian has has been gathered into his height, and he is standing as tall as he can without being on tiptows. His left hand seems to be calming the wolf, but it also seems to be ready to release it, just in case. In his right hand, the spear's shaft is just above the ground, and could easily be flipped into action.

Scenery.
Just outside the forest. The grass here is short, and does not rise above Kintilhawk's bare feet. But the trees behind him are tall, and close together. Hiding something? A bear perhaps? Of course the sky is not shielding any corbies or stormcrows. It is perfectly blue, and the sun is steady in place above Kintilhawks right shoulder, where the Eagle is perched.

Is it good?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2008, 06:29:27 »

Unfortunately you missed the most important thing, Nsiki: We already have an illustration of an Eyelian. And in the tribes project I'm commissioning only tribes that aren't illustrated but are fleshed out already.

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2008, 08:25:31 »

But, Arti!
"The Caltharians (we've got one there already, but with the new entry being nearly completed, we could make another one that fits the updated description even better)"

Oh, well. maybe later.
I'll write a new description.
:(
;)

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2008, 15:47:40 »

While Judy's picture is great, it shows an aspect of Caltharian life only and a professional artist can round up the definition of what a Caltharian represents. It is also meant as a reward for Judy's lengthy entry (which is still in the works), to complete it. At the Eyelians we have a well done tribe representation with a female Eyelians from the Order from the Wings with her steed included, so this is already pretty perfect.

Which tribes are considered for drawing has to be discussed first, because I'm paying for those pictures. And as I'm trying to complete certain aspects of Santharia, this also basically means a focus on Santharian/Sarvonian tribes, where we can complete an already nicely elaborated tribe. So if you want to provide a detailed description, you have to let me beforehand, as I won't commission just any.

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2008, 05:52:01 »

Hello folks,

I wanted to revive this thread, and post a sketch I made today, for the Rhom-oc orc tribe. I mailed it to Artimidor today, but I guess he was too busy with other stuff. so here it is, hope to hear some comments from you all!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]