Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Unentried People of Caelereth: a Resource Thread  (Read 19144 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2009, 09:47:55 »

Oof, just saw this, thanks Sage!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2010, 19:04:06 »

May I work on Yerun the Ereshian and Akillian Seasur please?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2010, 23:27:59 »

No problems with that if you have ideas what to write about them. Of course if your write about a Ximaxian scholar it depends on how far you want to integrate magical stuff in such an entry, and for that you'd need to probably have an idea how magic works in Santharia. But all in all it should be ok if you don't get too deep into a field where you might not know enough.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 June 2010, 02:06:56 »

I've permitted myself to edit Judith's starting post, adding a few Fymbels to her impressive list of unentried people. I've also marked that Yerun the Ereshian and Akillian Seasur are reserved for M'ruk.

Please help the team to keep this list up to date. If you create an undeveloped person as part of some entry or other, please post the person's name here, and also give other details about them (dates of birth and death, race and tribe, profession, the entry or entries that reference the person), as far as this information is known.

Please also feel free to post here if you reference one of the people already on the list in a new entry, or if you want to reserve a person for development.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 June 2010, 01:19:05 »

Not sure if it is worth doing, but if we had overviews (like we do in the bestiary and Misc sections) in the People section we could list all these unentried people very nicely.  Just an idea.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2010, 02:05:37 »

Eh, might as well drop the names of two more Northern researchers

Admiral Jukolyn ben Fureth, Remusian Navy (ret), -contemporary -researcher of the Dark Stryke Shark and creatures of the Bay of Calinth

Lyrotal Draconall, a Remusian who had traveled extensively while researching entries for the Compendium, disappeared in 1666. He has provided much information regarding the beforehand mysterious Ice Tribes. To him, we owe a great thanks, and our prayers to his safe return one day. -researcher of the Wison, Frozen Tombs of Gourdynn, Remusian Men, Snow Falcon,

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 June 2010, 06:49:57 »

Let's please stress to try to use existing researchers/people in entries if possible rather than create new ones. If you have a beast of the North, try to use a North researcher (Rev'elor for example).

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2010, 03:57:55 »

That is indeed a good point, Azhira! thumbup

We should keep in mind that we cannot reference people ad infinitum, and basically mention them only once in entries - and then hope an entry will at some point come out of this. Especially if a developer writes entries on similar topics (which is quite often the case due to certain interests) he/she might mention the same researchers regularly in their entries, thus already determining what this person is all about.

That way we create authorities on certain topics, which then can be mentioned elsewhere, quoted etc. A good example is for example Waudrin Ghortz, who became the local demon expert in a way, and whenever you write something on a similar subject you can now ask: And how would Waudrin's opinion be on that? - This is very important to make things believable.

Plus, creating names should be done with care, the names should fit to the tribes they represent. So if you create an expert on something and you can reuse that guy, you don't need to go through the process again of finding the perfect name as you already have it and with another reference you anchor him further in our world.

So yup, whenever possible, try to take that approach!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2010, 05:41:22 »

Yep, I agree with Azhira and Artimidor. The main purpose of this list is not to make it longer, but to entice compendiumists to reference (and possibly to develop) the people that are already on it!

Nonetheless, I've added Altario's two Remusians.

Seeker, I'll have to think about your idea. Personally, I might be interested in overviews of certain  groups of people (e.g. overviews over the royal lines would be interesting; I only discovered this week who the current princess of Santharia is). But then, because individual people are rather more numerous than species of animals, types of medicines, and types of weapons, overviews could become rather long, and maybe even tedious (just consider the number of Researchers in the list above). That said, if someone wants to take it on, I wouldn't object. But I also like a certain creative open-endedness ...
« Last Edit: 03 June 2010, 05:57:27 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2010, 13:19:19 »

My two Remusians have been used more than once.  They are my go to researchers for my entries.  Lyrotal has been used 3-4 times, and if I got more of my started entries done, he'd be even more famous. buck

Deklitch Hardin

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 June 2010, 03:46:29 »

From the Kyranian Men entry, there are a number of Kyranians who are mentioned but are, as yet, without an entry. These include:

Cyroan Thromgolin - the founder of Kyrania. Infantry lt at time of the Great Sndering. Built castle, improved on defensive strategies especially bows and arrows.

Scions of Thromgolin (Brothers, oldest one is king; other two given rest of land which is called 'Abarona' --> name of 'Baron'.
-  Gilden "Gil" Thromgolin - master builder; concentrates on fortifications and defense of fortifications. Develops stronger bow for archers called the 'bolt bow'. Also builds windows inside outside walls of fortress which allows arrows to be shot out, but nearly impossible for arrows to go in from outside. Also builds and improves on the trench around keep.

- Senren "Ren" Thromgolin - refines infantry tactics in the open field against cavalry, archers and other infantrymen. Designs rounded shields with thicker and stronger centres to protect men from archers. Develops tactics against cavalry charges such as using sharpened sticks between a phlange of men and shields. He develops and builds an axe he calls the "Sengren".

- Cyrobaltt "Cyro" Thromgolin - develops new ways for old infantry tactics such as: concealment, hand to hand combat, sword play, and techniques for wielding the sengren, pike and spear. He conditions men to run long distances without tiring. He uses the mountains as defense as well as offense, learning how to disturb the earth enough to create traps. Traps backfired sometimes against his people.

Also, from my Thromgolin's Coronal entry, there is Bruder Thromgolin, the brother of Cyroan. He was a blacksmith who created Thromgolin's Coronal for his brother.

These are all examples of 'traditional' Kyranians ... and there is a wealth of information on the way they dress and look (including social practices) in the Kyranian men entry.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Deklitch Hardin

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 June 2010, 15:11:08 »

Let's make this official, shall we?  evil

I wish to reserve Gilden, Senren and Cyrobaltt for myself to develop people entries on them. I have spoken with Garret about it ... and she has agreed for me to do them. I am going to get Eight Winds Bay finished first, however. Garret has also said she'll look through her files at some stage to see if there is any additional information on them than what is in the Kyranian men entry.

Seeing as how these three are brothers and would more than likely have common points in their histories, it makes sense to me to develop them together.

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 June 2010, 23:15:44 »

I'd like to grab Maccan off that list.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 June 2010, 23:33:56 »

Dek, are you going to develop each individually, or as one entry with different sections for each?  AS they are brothers, wouldn't it make sense to do it as a family entry, then break it down into 3 sections, one for each?

Also, I'm wondering about how things are sometimes mentioned as though they have have happened in a vacuum.  Of course, certain tribe specific entries can be created, but to go back and specifically point tp a certain person who created a basic weapon or tactic gets a bit farfetched when it then has to be applied to each tribe seperately.  So and so created the bow in such and such, or creates the round shield.  Are we to believe that this guy at that time created the round shield?  For everyone?  There were no round shields before him?  Somethings just are without needing a specific time and place and person to have created it, and it gets a bit unrealistic to ascribe specifics to it.  Can you tell me the name of the very person in real life who created the round shield and in what year?  Each culture will have people who excelled in certain areas and can be exhalted for it, but perhaps not "inventing" each thing by each tribe.

Just things to keep in mind.  Perhaps it is just the way you described it that has me worried, and I will give you the benifit of the doubt, as you are always pretty good in your development entries. :D

Deklitch Hardin

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 June 2010, 00:17:48 »

Altario, go and have a look at the Kyranian men entry ... it was the way it was described in that entry ... I pretty much cut and pasted from the history table :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 82
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 64
Total: 64

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.