Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - The Mysteries of Nepris Project  (Read 144924 times)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 03 December 2008, 04:13:06 »

HA! Straight to the point....I see what you did there. Very clever! ;)

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #46 on: 02 January 2009, 17:34:17 »

Short note: Added recently were the scores at each steps of the solution of the current Nepris module, so that you eventually reach the 1450 points mentioned in the quest overview on site. You can view your score by typing SCORE. Based on your current percentage compared to the overall score you also get your title displayed now. Once new missions are added where you can make additional score, the overall score will increase and getting a better title of course will become harder that way. Score gives you a good indicator on how much of the currently available game you have completed, so it's good for basic orientation while you play.

Important: Score only works properly at newly started games!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 January 2009, 19:10:05 »

I'm just in the laboratory now - it's great!  I especially love the emergency instructions: "1) Fear not! 2) Grab Weapon! 3) Hit Monster!"  Hehehe

New weapons - why not make the fishing net you see near the beginning into a weapon?

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 02 January 2009, 19:46:00 »

A fishing net as a weapon? Hit the fireslimer over the head with it? lol I'm not sure if that would do much damage...

Anyway, the net will play a role in one of the smaller quests coming up next, so it is actually something that has its planned place in the game.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 January 2009, 20:04:54 »

Don't people use nets as weapons?  Possibly not fishing nets though... buck

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02 January 2009, 20:31:00 »

Yeah, like those Roman gladiators. You could have it as an expendable item, which stops the enemy from moving or attacking for a turn. But since you already have plans for that net, maybe you could find something like 'a tattered net' around the place, it is a fishing village after all. :P And these could be used as weapons, while the other net is used in a quest. Just an idea. Well, not actually mine, but still an idea. grin

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 02 January 2009, 20:51:34 »

Well, if you want something to stop an enemy from moving or attacking for a turn you might find that in Nepris already. It's just not actually an item :)

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02 January 2009, 20:54:11 »

Making every day tools into weaponry is a common way of inventing new arms, especially in times and areas where certain weapons were forbidden (see these examples from Japan, like Tonfa, Sai and Kama, wellknown from the average Hollywood ninja movie, but authentic nevertheless. And let's not forget the Bo, known as the quarterstaff here, which belongs in the same category). Using a net as a weapon to ensnare your enemy or to trip them was common usage. Would be a cool weapon to add :) The net was, if I remember correctly, often fitted to a pole, maybe you could create a weapon like that yourself ingame, by fitting a pole and (old/tattered) net together, having a good improvised weapon with interesting possibilities in game, but I have no clue if this is technically feasible.

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 03 January 2009, 05:17:52 »

I've been working on a few tool/weapon combo's since Arti said he could do with some new ones, and the net was an early entrant. I took it a stage further, though. How about a net with a drawstring, so that when you have ensnared your enemy, you simply have to pull the string and, Hey Presto!, he's sealed-up tighter than a ducks a**e!

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 03 January 2009, 09:23:18 »

I like new and creative ideas the most, more than a dagger here or a knife there. However the downside is, such ideas have to be implemented first. When I played the nepris modul for the first time to free Jeremy, I too stumbled over the fishernet and tried to catch that slippery thing in the water with it. A good approach I though! Later I asked Arti frustrated what to do with that damn net, and he replied something like: "nothing for now". So good to see that it atleast fullfilled the role as an inspiration for a new idea ;)

About the net beeing a weapon. Yes, I too remember gladiators useing it in their second hand instead of a shield to immobile their opponents and greatly lowering their ability to defend themselves. I thought about it, and the only way to implement such techniques is to treat it as an expandable/throwable item, like Mannix said. You would have to wear it in your second hand instead of a shield and can use it only once every fight.

I imagine those nets had to be quite heavy? So you can't just carry them around like throwable daggers. After a fight is over you can pick it up again. It would be a more offensive way to fight other than a shield in your hand. The impacts of such throwable nets still have to be defined but they can be quite massive as you can only use it once in a fight.

edit: grrr it takes me ages to express myself in english ;)
« Last Edit: 03 January 2009, 09:25:05 by Grinch » Logged

We are the good ones!
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #55 on: 03 January 2009, 10:45:43 »

Hey, Artimidor!  Can we have a special award this year for 'Most Amazing Programmer'?  Just so we can give it to Grinch?

Oh, wait....we need two of those....

(carefully hangs a heavy necklace with a bronzed microchip around Art's neck and then strides over to Grinch, shakes his hand energetically, and places a similar chain around his neck.)

Congratulations to TWO amazing programmers who have done such a great job on the nitty-gritty details of creating Santhworld!

(leads the group in applause)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 03 January 2009, 10:55:15 »

*laughs*.. a necklace with a microchip .. now that was sweet  grin heart

We are the good ones!
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #57 on: 03 January 2009, 11:43:09 »

~Well, Nepris Project is one of the nominees for the Dev Awards. I think its already been seconded as well, so our Grinch here (where were you during Christmas? The Miraclaus could have used you getting everybody in the right mood!) might be officially laudated soon!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 03 January 2009, 16:17:11 »

Yeah, a net couldn't really be a regular weapon, but more a thing you could use once in battle. That would make the most sense.

As for 'Most Amazing Programmer' - well, I'm mainly responsible for the whole story part, the rooms, the dialogues, placing the fights and the quests, while Grinch has practically taken over all programming aspects including balancing etc. So the most 'Most Amazing Programmer' definitely has to go to the Christmas-stealer, I'm more Creative Director or something. That combination has worked pretty well, but without Grinch we would be ages from what we have now. - And as always I've heard he's working on the next major development step already, at least that was apparent when I talked to him the last time... Ooops, said to much already in that sentence. :) - Anyway, kudos to Grinch, he's done a wonderful job so far! clap Let's hope for many more additions to come!  thumbup

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #59 on: 03 January 2009, 18:30:49 »

...food?!?

:D

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.