Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - The Mysteries of Nepris Project  (Read 145229 times)
Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2008, 00:47:45 »

10th November ? speechless jawdrop
I'd better start to work on the bugs. Thanks god there aren't many Big Grin

We are the good ones!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2008, 02:08:57 »

lol

In case you haven't got enough to deal with, Grinch, I'm sure I can find a dozen more... *laughs maniacally*

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2008, 23:16:53 »

Seems there isn't much action going on these days in the Forum, eh?

Anyway, to give you at least an appetizer I'm gonna post a few screenshots of the next Santhworld version this evening showing you some progress we've made recently with Nepris. Featuring monsters and battles, a mysterious laboratory, secrets waiting to be discovered, improved interface handling (equipment, items etc.), spells that can be cast, a fiery prisoner, campfires to regain your strength, the possibility to level up and collect loot - or to have your soul collected by Queprur - a screen you hopefully will never see when playing... Will you be able to find the missing Jeremy and uncover what's going on down there? :) Can't post sounds, but well, you'll get to all that stuff soon enough.

First pictures coming soon to a Forum in your vicinity, just a few mouseclicks away.  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2008, 03:13:22 »

So here are some exclusive screenshots of the current state of the game. Some things are still being changed and are just put together for a screenshot (the Fireball definition shown doesn't make that much sense e.g.) - but you should get the idea what we can already do and that the whole things has an undeniable fun factor.

(click on images to enlarge)

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2008, 05:29:08 »

Some suggestions for characters (from the Prosperous Farmhouse) to say when they don't understand you:

Mannef: 

Mannef strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Well, I don't rightly know about that," he says.  "You should probably ask someone else."

"I couldn't really say." Mannef says apologetically.

"Hmm."  Mannef  studies the ground for a moment, then shrugs good-naturedly. "Sorry, can't help you out with that."

Ilbeth:

"Ach, I don't know much about those things," Ilbeth says, adding some seasonings to her bean pot.

Ilbeth looks puzzled. "I'm not quite sure what you mean by that."

"I'm sorry, you've put me to sea with no boat, as we say around here ," Ilbeth says.  "I mean to say, I don't understand," she clarifies for you, with a laugh.

Andrus:

"What?  What's that you say again?  Don't mumble, speak up there!"  the old man snaps at you.

"Huh?  Never heard of it--and I don't want to, neither!"  Andrus says unpleasantly.

"Foreigners!  Always talking rot!" Andrus growls, apparently to the ceiling, as he rolls his eyes in that direction.  "How should I know about that?"

Hope this is helpful!  It just adds a bit more realism to dialogues and makes it more interesting.  If you like, I can try to come up with a few more for other characters the player encounters.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2008, 06:13:44 »

Yup, that's always helpful to have some of those, Alysse! So thanks for that, I'll add them right in - will be available once the everything is ready for the players to dig into this first mission. :)

Yet... This first mission BTW will be restricted intentionally for now, so that the player cannot cross the bridge and get to Mannef and Ilbeth - yet. Because the whole designed action takes place south of the bridge. And there you will only have Mannef to talk to and Meghrin. And eventually Jeremy, the mage's apprentice, and of course Fizzlefist himself.

So if you want to add some more, we've got these mentioned characters that could use some extra texts, Alysse ;)
« Last Edit: 30 October 2008, 06:15:31 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2008, 08:09:37 »

Looking very graphically rich, Artimidor!

I wonder:  could there eventually be a choice at the beginning of the game as to your player character?   You could be given four or six thumbnails and choose one, and it would show up from time to time as the 'default' screen, like that warrior woman illustrating the 'battle' scene in the twelfth picture above...   

While it doesn't have to make a difference to the actual play (a warrior character doing better in fights, for example), it would personalize the game a bit more to have a choice of some generic 'faces':  a sturdy fighter, a tall ranger, a young mage,  a dark cowled thief....  or even a choice of races: an elegant elf, an appealing hobbit, a gruff dwarf....

If the programming is possible, I'm sure I could find or create some appropriate character portraits!

Even just a generic 'male' and 'female' choice would be great.   Again, that's just a detail that would show up as a 'default' when you are resting, talking, etc.

Kudos,
Judy

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2008, 08:49:07 »

I notice that you cannot talk at all to Mimi (it just says "Undefined") Is anyone working on writing a dialogue for it, or is that available to anyone who wants to?  If so, does she need to give any important information?  I could write something up for her if she's not spoken for.

Alysse the Likely
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2008, 10:17:02 »

More "I don't know what you're talking about" lines...

Thalanis Fizzlefist

"What?" says the wizard.

"Oh, don't blither at me, please, I get enough nonsense from that mad apprentice of mine," Thalanis says irritably.

"I have no idea what you are talking about," says the wizard, rolling his eyes exaggeratedly.

"I don't deal much with mundane matters," Thalanis claims loftily.  "Perhaps there is something...important...you want to know?"  He sighs theatrically.

Pinn

Pinn gazes at you. "You sure talk funny sometimes," he remarks.

Pinn's only response is a puzzled stare.

"Huh?" says Pinn.

"I.. I dunno what you mean," the child says, looking confused.

Andrus/ Meghrin

"I know naught of such things," says Andrus, looking blank.

Andrus shakes his head. "I'm not sure I get your meaning there, my friend."

"I doubt that has much to do with us," Meghrin responds.

"I could not say, and I'd not grab an elf by the ear," Meghrin says, referring to an old proverb about not speaking where you have no knowledge.  "I've no wish to set you wrong."

Andrus/Meghrin looks puzzled.  "I don't follow you" he/she says.  (this choice can be put in for both of them.)

I hope these type of statements are appropriately in character.

Alysse

« Last Edit: 31 October 2008, 03:52:31 by Alysse the Likely » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2008, 16:19:19 »

@Alysse: Thanks for the texts - I'll see to integrate them as well!

Concerning Mimi: Nepris so far was pretty much a testing ground for sound scripts, new features we integrate etc. to see how everything works. That's why we've put in stuff at the moment that is just a placeholder, like the Mimi picture. We have some dialogue from Talia from quite a while ago on this, so this will eventually be added in - however, we'll have to cut that down considerably because it is way too lengthy at the moment. Anyway, it needs some thought what exactly to do with it. Like it is the case with some houses up there in teh Nepris north.

And that's why in the version we're working on right now the river will be the limit as far as you can go. Because the rooms to the south have been looked through already, texts have been shortened and there's at least a good deal of story that can be played down there. Later, we'll open up another part of the map, like Ilbeth's Prosperous Farmhouse, where a series of small quests will wait for the player. And so on. Every time we have more content for an area, we'll revise it the way we need it and allow it to be played as it was intended to do. This way it will be avoided that you stumble on half-finished dialogues and things like that.

@Judy: Don't worry, we have such features like choosing a character, race, gender etc. in mind in the long run. It's all only a question when to put it into the game - and how exactly. Meaning: in terms of how it affects gameplay or under which conditions other pictures/texts need to be displayed etc. We need to put essentials first of course on our to-do list, so that we have a working battle system, can support somewhat complex commands, understand two word items (a health and a carall potion e.g.), allow level ups and let abilities/spells actually affect fights, make sure that the player has an idea how a weapon or armour improves the character or what a spell does exactly etc. So to get these basics handled properly is already quite a challenge, and there's always room for improvements.

In a second step we can then think about what to do next in terms of what isn't primarily essential to have the game working, but what adds to atmosphere, enhanced handling, and so on. In this stage choosing a character, race, gender etc. might play an important role among various other things - we just have to put it back for now. Same thing e.g. with graphical stuff like displaying potions for health and carall (mana equivalent) in order to make things even more intuitive. This will surely come in later versions. When the basics are there and we have concrete concepts on that other ideas.

Current mission is to get the basics done and get a good deal of playable content ready. Then it will be easier to see where there are problems, deficits and how we can go beyond what we have. :)
« Last Edit: 30 October 2008, 16:20:55 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 01 November 2008, 09:22:01 »

Awesome - thanks for clarifying.  Might it be possible to put the information from that post - and others - in a sticky thread at the top, perhaps something like 'Dev Schedule and Priorities for Santhworld Project'?

It would allow developers who are interested in contributing to know what they should work on (playable content) and give us a sort of 'timeline' for things' progress.  It could also have 'requests' listed, such as pictures needed, dialogues needed, and rooms still needed...   

Edited:   Weren't you going to make the first post in this thread such a sticky?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 02 November 2008, 16:47:56 »

Ah yes, that could be updated. I guess once we have that first major playable area out (Fizzlefist Lab), we can collect further ideas and list them there and see what things we can give priority in the subsequent development.

Concerning stuff that is still needed: Well, all kinds of stuff is needed, but mostly this is directly connected with the process of development an area and what results from it. For example I don't plan it all out in full detail right ahead, but have a look at a bunch of existing pictures for example and think about how I could use them as they are or compose/transform them, so that they enrich the scenery. Sometimes rooms just are added in, because I work towards integrating a picture. This approach is pretty much necessary, because it is not so easy to get a particular requested picture that is only of use for Santhworld. Double use is much better. Therefore I salvage stuff from elsewhere and make something new out of it, resulting in a room.

In general that of course shouldn't prevent creative artists (like you, Judy :) ) from doing "whatever they like" in order to get it into the game. If you have an idea to draw something for the site that could also (or part of it could also) fit into the game, just let me know, and I'll find a way to integrate it. Once you see the current set of rooms and see a room where you think: Oh, if I put this and that together and work a little bit on that corner, then this room could get its illustration! Then I can always add it in later. Until then the standard pic for an area is used.

A picture that in the long run would be definitely needed for Nepris is a portrait of that weird Fizzlefist mage BTW. He's the only character in the playable area that isn't illustrated yet. And he'll play an even larger role later I guess...

Cool sound effects are also always needed. Findable through soundsnap.com, but as you haven't experienced the whole thing yet, you also don't see... er... hear much of a connection how that will end up in the game efficiently. It's better to get the first real good demo in your hands and then you will realize how sound effects were used in there and where you notice that there's something missing, which actually should be there. In that case it helps to try to hunt such a particular sound effect down on Soundsnap - and if you've got it, I can add it right in.

Ok, so much for now, need to get back to adding content! :D

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 02 November 2008, 17:22:25 »

Could you give me a few hints as to how Fizzlefist should look, Art?  Is he human or gnome, for example?  I can surely try sketching a wizened, grumpy, scorch-bearded guy with crazy eyes, but the race would be helpful to know first....

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 02 November 2008, 17:27:43 »

Definitely a man. Fizzlefist is a guy you can already talk to in the current version of the game on the server (you can shortcut to him by typing GOTO THALANIS). That way you end up directly at his dialogue. Talk with him to get an idea what his character is about (he was made by Xarl, so you might know what you have to expect... lol ). Then if you say BYE and then THALANIS you examine the guy, and you get a nice description that should help! :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 09 November 2008, 23:01:07 »

Status report from the programming and designing front: The Nepris Jeremy mission project is now preliminary finished from the designer's point of view (that's me). Grinch will be the first test subject and we will surely need a few days to balance the monsters a bit, but then it will be ready to be played.

The main underground area (Fizzlefist's Lab) in which the game takes place alone has ca. 90 rooms, there are quite a bunch of monster encounters, several dozen items, sounds and pics. As especially you will notice, Judy, I followed the principle of recycling very seriously - so don't be surprised if you spot lots of pictures from you in there, some just appear a bit different... lol There are smaller and bigger riddles to solve and some funny things to encounter, and hopefully also a somewhat entertaining conclusion for the game... grin - An important glitch with saving games was also fixed, so that it is absolutely safe now to save the game and get back to it later.

Some specifics to take into account when playing will be put up once we make this major version official. Stay tuned and be prepared for some interactive action never before seen in Santharia to that extent - a lot of mess is waiting for you to be cleared up in Nepris!  cool

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 61
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.