Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - The Mysteries of Nepris Project  (Read 144938 times)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 November 2008, 10:11:32 »

Here are some "I don't understand" possibilities for Jeremy (bearing in mind that I don't really know what he talks like so based them on his somewhat cocky self-centered writing style)  Some are a little more polite than others so you can use whichever ones you feel are appropriate for him.

Jeremy blinks in confusion. "Um..er..I, ah, didn't quite catch that, what did you say?"

Jeremy seems puzzled by your comment, but doesn't say anything.

" What are you talking about?" says Jeremy, giving you an odd look.

"Never heard of it, " Jeremy responds, in a tone of voice that implies it is therefore not worth knowing about.

"Talk to the imp,  maybe it will care," says Jeremy rudely.  "I have more important things to worry about."

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 12 November 2008, 04:14:39 »

Many thanks for those as well, Alysse - will be added in of course as well! Final preparations to get the whole thing up already before the weekend are underway, so stay tuned for some exciting adventures :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2008, 23:37:09 »

Nepris discussions were led actually in the wrong thread, but anyway. I'm getting back to it here. If you have Nepris specific stuff, please discuss here:

Just a few things I wanted to mention:

- The pointed out typos are now removed
- Combat pictures (monsters, skills, spells) now fade slower, these were still too fast (normal pictures: 3x the original rate, combat stuff now 2x)
- Judy's farmhouse was no integrated. I went for using 4 varieties of it: standard view, zoom in once you examine the farmhouse, then the door only if you enter, plus a room below if you examine vegetables you get to see the vegetable beds. :)

Many thanks for all those wonderful additions, Judy, that let this scene come alive!

Answers to Tharoc's question will be coming.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 01 December 2008, 04:10:08 »

Ok, I move the question from Tharoc here into the Nepris thread as well, because this has to deal with the Nepris module. First, let's quote Tharoc's post:

I have a few basic ideas for some shops/inns/stalls which could be used for a street in the game.
When I get time I'll write a brief overview of them and you can let me know if there are any you would like me to expand on.
I'm also creating a new plant which produces a nut with a cool effect, and may prove useful in the game. If the nut is powdered and blown into someone's face, they will forget stuff. It's called The Forget-Me-Nut, or No-Know-Nut. The effects will vary depending on (a) the size of the person affected, and (b) the amount of powder used.
I think it's a good way of sidestepping the issue we have with too many poisons.
Obviously it's going to be quite rare.

I'm enjoying the game, btw (typos and all!), but I'm struggling to find decent playing-time at the moment. RL is a bitch!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, as you would expect, my shops etc have a distinct 'humour' about them.

Ok, some basic things on contributing:

First of all it is essential that you play the current Nepris chapter through. Then you know what the engine can already and how we do things. E.g. the descriptions were cut down considerably, if we make rooms we need to find ways how to make good interaction with the player, place battles properly, put in small riddles that are not too difficult, make sure that the player can use his/her repertoire of skills/spells etc. properly and that there are no technical issues that prevent a player from mastering a situation. So if you know the game mechanics you get an idea how to operate in them. Keep this in mind and when designing things don't go completely beyond it, as we can only do what our engine supports (yet). And that is quite a lot actually already.

This also means that we need to support something with the engine first before we can use it operatively.

For example we don't have shops in Nepris yet, where you can sell and buy things, and until we have them it could still last a while. So quests that aren't directly linked to the fact that you need to trade should be preferred for now. I don't know of course what exactly you have in mind, but just keep in mind that we need to operate within our confines.

An tavern for example will surely exist in Nepris, the Saltwillow Tavern, here we'll find Judy's dwarf Dhren Rockface, a picture from Faugar's lovely barmaid, Gean dance song can be played there (along with the round of applause) etc. and I guess you could get in some Tharoc humour easily. And put a guy in there that hands you a certain quest, and so on. The tavern's inside isn't described at all yet, so that place longs for some creativity. Also remember that rooms shouldn't be cramped full, we better should more rooms so that the player has it better under control and knows where to find what.

Also the use of items like Forget-Me-Nut (funny name... lol) of course needs to be controlled. You cannot implement it in the game so that it can be used on anyone for no apparent reason, otherwise you'd have to change all dialogues at all persons. So from the programming/scripting point of view you need to know the rough outlines of a quest first, the steps the player needs to take, and where there are limits for the player, that the required items can be acquired properly and that there are enough hints for the player to know what needs to be done. We can first approve that and then go into details where we add which rooms etc.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01 December 2008, 23:30:30 »

Ok, no problems there. I wasn't suggesting that I design a whole section of the game, I was merely offering to supply basic locations/descriptions/mini-puzzles/items/characters for you to build on in whatever way you saw fit.

I see the problems with using the Forget-Me-Nut powder. However, I will be putting it on-site soon, and it is there for your use if you can work with it.

I'll have a go at designing the Cross-Eyed Cyclops Inn this week, with a couple of characters and some suggestions for quests which may arise from them.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 02 December 2008, 03:12:52 »

Yep, yep - feel free to put it together the way you think it might be useful enough to integrate those ideas in a larger context, Thaorc. There are of course always adjustments needed anyway for the one reason or the other if something gets implemented, but it's good to have something layed out that I can try to put in where it fits :)

Morden Peshirgolz
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 11

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 December 2008, 03:31:09 »

Thaorc?  rofl

Tharoc Tha Orc... rolling ...oh that's funny  evil
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 December 2008, 03:33:58 »

Laugh it up, hairball!

Use the force, Luke.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 02 December 2008, 06:01:27 »

Art, why don't you make the old games forum visible again for members, then all can see what for descriptions of the different parts are already done, thought out etc, even if these descriptions have to be shortened? So far not many people actually know, what IS already done and COULD be reused.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 02 December 2008, 06:16:49 »

Wouldn't it confuse people having lots of concepts and stuff from a similar Nepris being posted all over the place? While we've actually learned by now how to do it better and work on things step by step? Or: Module part by module part? I do my best anyway to salvage from that what I can - for example the area that lies behind the bridge restriction is a good deal based on that.

Well, I can make that Forum visible anyway - watch the bottom of the main Forum for some game stuff to appear, which is several years old however.

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 02 December 2008, 11:53:20 »

I for one have indeed been reusing a lot of that 'old stuff' but rewriting it for application in the game.    When we actually do have food and drinks available to us in game, hopefully my efforts will not be wasted!

I wish I were more adept with weaponry, because I'm sure Art would prefer descriptions of things to bash slimers with, but - not my forte....

Perhaps I'll just stick to illustrations!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 02 December 2008, 18:36:33 »

It was just an idea and is entirely up to you.  I thought it might be helpful for people like Tharoc who want to help to know, what is already here - if it can be reused or not. Don't get me wrong - I do not wish or want it to be visible again. You should not do it just because I asked for it if you think it isn't a good idea.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2008, 18:38:37 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 December 2008, 22:17:50 »

I agree with Talia that it would be helpful to have that available, though perhaps not necessarily accessible to everyone through Nepris.  (Perhaps under some sort of title such as "Developer's Information", so that it can be added to and adjusted without accidental duplication of effort or parts being neglected, etc?)

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03 December 2008, 00:40:20 »

I wouldn't mind having a go at some weaponry invention/description, at some point.
I just need a rough idea of what is needed first.

Use the force, Luke.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 03 December 2008, 03:49:18 »

Play the game, see how it is done currently, think of similar weapons among the player's level one could find next somewhere. Or regular items that might be useful for this and that. Or even items that are of relevance for quests. Descriptions should be short and straight to the point however.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.