Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - Program Development  (Read 89623 times)
Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 29 November 2008, 17:00:49 »

That sounds like it is going to be positively awesome Arti. Grinch and you must have a lot of work ahead of you. By the save thing I meant a message asking you if you wanted to save because, if you go on the module again Jeremy is still in the door, yet you can't do the quest again. I'm guessing this is just because the game is over for now, so when there is a new quest in Nepris the problem will probably not be there. We'll see what its like when that happens, because right now its not affecting anything.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #121 on: 29 November 2008, 17:17:42 »

For one - so far it was only designed until Jeremy's release, so some things after that will need to be adjusted so that the game can continue from there. Jeremy most likely will accompany you then for a while, so that we have someone who can assist you with some spells.

Yet what you describe shouldn't really be able to happen. What exactly do you do? You finish the game and are returned to the main module selection, right? Then you "go on the module" (how exactly?) and play it all over? Is that what you're trying to do? Because if you start the module again, everything is reset of course and you should be able to do it all again.

P.S. If an expansion is added I'll probably give players a secret code or something so that you get all items you need in order to continue the quest at the point where you left off.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #122 on: 29 November 2008, 19:39:01 »

Everytime I enter Santhworld I start from the beginning again, which is frustrating.  Doesn't it save the game automatically - and if not, why not, or why isn't there a 'save' option?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #123 on: 29 November 2008, 19:50:48 »

How about typing SAVE, Judy? And then RESTORE to get back next time? Remember, you have one save state only, though.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 29 November 2008, 23:59:26 »

I finished the game!  And I second Mannix's Bravo!

I really look forwards to the rest of the adventure, it's going to be totally awesome.  Can I help with some of the writing (besides coming up with "I don't know what you're taking about" statements)?  I could write dialogues, or descriptive pieces...I just need to know what you need.  Maybe I could help with research, like finding monsters to fight that have usable pictures?

This is really fun, people, do try it!  Mannix and I can drop you hints if you need them... :D

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #125 on: 30 November 2008, 00:13:35 »

Congratulations to you as well, Alysse! *hands out Santhworld silver medal* Glad that you as well enjoyed it!

And sure you could help, Alysse :) Basic idea in that section of the game is that Jeremy will open that steeldoor in level 2 and that the laboratory (or whatever else there might be) continues several rooms there. Jeremy will then be available and fight on your side, so that there could be other, more and tougher enemies as well, because you're two people then and have some more magical capabilites.

I have a very rough idea in what direction the whole Mysteries of Nepris module will go, but basically a Laboratory part II could be any interesting side story we want. So whatever ideas anyone brings in is welcomed. These could be room descriptions, item descriptions, monster pics, dialogues, sound pieces you find at soundsnap.com - or ideas for whole puzzles or sets of rooms that fit together. Whatever you can contribute, it's all appreciated to make an expansion as entertaining as the current stuff we already have :)

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 30 November 2008, 10:58:04 »

I have a few basic ideas for some shops/inns/stalls which could be used for a street in the game.
When I get time I'll write a brief overview of them and you can let me know if there are any you would like me to expand on.
I'm also creating a new plant which produces a nut with a cool effect, and may prove useful in the game. If the nut is powdered and blown into someone's face, they will forget stuff. It's called The Forget-Me-Nut, or No-Know-Nut. The effects will vary depending on (a) the size of the person affected, and (b) the amount of powder used.
I think it's a good way of sidestepping the issue we have with too many poisons.
Obviously it's going to be quite rare.

I'm enjoying the game, btw (typos and all!), but I'm struggling to find decent playing-time at the moment. RL is a bitch!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, as you would expect, my shops etc have a distinct 'humour' about them.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Ringan

Gained Aura: 5

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 10 December 2008, 00:58:03 »

Greatj!!

In the farmhouse, the title of the woman is the same as the man...

Also small fix needed with dialogue of the stories from the man - just the ending.

Very lovely otherwise!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #128 on: 10 December 2008, 03:43:51 »

Can't see any problem, Ringan. The man is called "Andulf Istherin (Fisherman)" and his wife "Meghrin Istherin (Fisherman's Wife))". Where do you see the same titles?

Also: What needs fixing at the ending? Maybe you can be more precise?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 27 January 2009, 04:18:33 »

Just a note: Grinch, Quellion and I have been working on an interface update of the Santhworld program, and we are confident to get this version up within the coming weeks. It will feature clickable icons, a much more detailed background (the current version looks pretty washed out) and some new ornamental stuff as well. There are still a bunch of issues to take care, but I guess we'll resolve most of the remaining ones pretty soon.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #130 on: 02 February 2009, 03:42:22 »

Also as announced a few days ago and just uploaded: An enhanced version of the Santhworld interface, thanks to Quellion and Grinch. We had some performance issues to deal with to get it done properly, but now ir's working the way we planned it.

What's new:
  • The whole frame has been re-done with a much higher resolution, so it will look much better
  • Quellion completely redrew the lower right part with some dragon ornaments
  • Quellion also contributed the icons you can see now above the input textbox
  • Grinch realized tooltip texts, mouseover the icons to see them. The tooltiptexts also show the shortcut you can use (like "I" for "Inventory")
  • Click on the buttons to use the functions :) The sound on/off icon for example changes, so that you can see how it toggles between then options. Also, the Load and Save functions ask the user if he/she really wants to do it (so that you don't press a button by accident).
  • The toolbar also supports entering a sub-menu and returning to the previous location. You see that e.g. if you enter Nepris by typing START NEPRIS, then the whole toolbar will be displayed. Now if you click e.g. the Help or the Exit button to the right you enter the Help menu or the Module selection. Note that the toolbar will disappear and a single icon called "Return" will be displayed. Click on it to leave the Help/Module selection again.
  • Note that at the beginning the toolbar will be empty - you first need to enter a module to display it. Here some additional adjustments will be necessary, so that you can Load/Save without entering a module etc. Or stuff like Inventory can be removed from the Trivia module. The commands still work, though.
  • You might also notice a button called "Questlog" that doesn't have  proper function yet, so you only get a "not implemented" text as of yet. This will come in handy sooner or later, and will do exactly what the name promises to do.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 02 February 2009, 03:53:59 »

Looks Great, Gentlemen.  *sigh*  Now I'll be playing all day again, and not get anything else done.  BTW, I'm horrible at this.  I still haven't freed the kid in the cell.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #132 on: 02 February 2009, 04:56:52 »

Oh, I posted in the wrong thread (Nepris). A kid to free?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #133 on: 09 October 2009, 03:35:23 »

A new Santhworld program version has just been uploaded thanks to the diligent work of Grinch. While there were some minor things changed/updated (nothing you might notice at the first glance), the new version was uploaded only because of one new key feature, the new Load/Save function.

What you can do now is to save and load up to 5 game states per module, the date and time of the saving is stored as well as well as the room's name, which makes it easier to find the proper savegame you want to load. Once you type LOAD or SAVE you get the full list of currently saved games for this module displayed. The combo items can easily be accessed by typing 1, 2, 3 etc. and confirming that with ENTER.

You will also notice a special slot in the save games which is called AUTOSAVE. This feature will save your game state automatically where we define it, e.g. once you enter a new house, a cellar, new level etc. So in case you forgot to save, you always have something to rely on. Note that the Autosave feature will of course only work once we have defined those spots where those autosaves happen, and we'll do that later, probably with the release of the next Nepris edition, which can still last quite a while.

Also: So far you could only save one game state, so if you have an old game state on your hard drive you can load it with the new version, then the program converts it to the new format when you save for the first time.

BTW: If you type LOAD when Santhworld starts it will offer you the savegames of the last module you played. If you want to load the savegames of another module, first enter that module by tying START [MODULENAME] :)

Jenna Silverbirch
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

Hobbit Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 09 October 2009, 04:54:43 »

Hooray! Excellent work as ever. Time to get stuck into some santhworld again, methinks.

The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen
Turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name.
-William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Development schedule
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.