Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - Program Development  (Read 89677 times)
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #45 on: 09 June 2008, 23:57:07 »

Ooooops, forgot about the ratio. You want taller, not longer, and I'm just not used to designing in that format.   Never mind, I'll do some cropping and adding background so you can have the right proportions.  Just out of curiosity, what's the measurement of the display field in pixels, please?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #46 on: 10 June 2008, 01:52:29 »

*hehe* The two new ones look great as well :) - More beasty than slimy, though, but that shouldn't be that much of a problem. Same with the size - we'll quench it in somehow. Thanks again, Judy :D  thumbup

Usually I use pictures that are 250x319 pixels in size - so if you draw something it should at least be that ratio. Could be of course larger, because I'll shrink the picture then.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 10 June 2008, 04:53:09 »

The first one made me sick, Judy!  Brrr

This looks all quite promising and I ventured into Nepris already, but I'm still in fear, that this one will vanish like the last one where I put so much time in it for nothing. And not a very creative fun time, just adding piece for piece and forest-element after the next.

Can these old description be reused? Or the Mimi-Quest realised?

These gaining of items and clothes and becoming stronger with using them, that sounds a lot like WoW ;) I'm still ... doubting the outcome..  sorry..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 10 June 2008, 05:54:12 »

Things can be reused, sure, but I have to hold a creative hand over it personally and cut down long descriptions and make quests accomplishable - because the whole thing needs to be playable. We lacked that severely last time, and a lot still has to be done in this respect.

The last program was in the hand of someone else, now we know what we're doing and how we can accomplish that. Grinch has taken over practically the whole programming part (except for the editor), which allows me to coordinate creativity better. And Grinch's battle system, while still in its raw bones, will be another absolute highlight once it will be officially available.

People who see the potential are welcome to participate :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #49 on: 10 June 2008, 06:30:07 »

Yes, yes, i'm working on it! But each time i'm starting to feel like im slowly getting to a congruent piece, you give me more options to play with, and i start redesigning stuff! How can a guy resist such fabulous new toys?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10 June 2008, 19:17:37 »

Heh, the Slime Monsters look really great !  :D thumbup

I guess we will see them in action sooner or later.

We are the good ones!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 19 July 2008, 17:42:53 »

Just a note: I'm adjusting a bunch of things in various rooms at the moment, as due to the changes we need for the battle system, we're also updating the interpretation of the commands in the parser a bit. Grinch has already mentioned that somewhere, so now's the time to make the necessary adjustments.

Bascically this means that a lot more words can be understood (you can then EAT, CONSUME, MUNCH, DEVOUR etc. a piece of cake) and eventually we'll have the possibility to equip stuff or to activate things. As we've already warned this is all a major undertaking until you can equip stuff, confront slime monsters, cast spells on them, collect experience and treasure points etc., so this is another step that needs to be completed towards it.

In the meantime Grinch is steadily working on the Battle System and its integration in the game. There has been quite a bit of progress by now, but bear with us until we get to a point where you can send those vicious slime bastard back to mommy! :)

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #52 on: 19 July 2008, 22:42:50 »

Art: in a previous post regarding needs for Santhworld you say:

"An items list would be great to have though basically, so that we can define the items and put them somewhere in the game to find. This would basically mean we'd need a varierty of weapons (knives, axes, swords, etc.) and armour pieces (helmets, breastplates, belts, shoes, rings for protection etc.) Stuff like this.

If you want to define such an item you need to provide two things, Judy. I give the example with something we already have as an item:

- A short description (will be displayed when the items are listed in the room or your inventory, e.g. A red apple, A chunk of cheese)

- A longer description, 1-2 sentences (this will display upon examining the thing e.g. The piece of federkaese you have here is quite an interesting cheese. It has a bluish-green mold that is allowed to infiltrate the cheese, giving it an itensely unique flavour appreciated by most sophisticates.)

Having a bunch of items  defined that way would already be a great help."

I haven't forgotten about that, but you do remember that I put a great deal of work into our Master Goods List, found HERE:  http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,11271.0.html and that it is formatted in exactly that way?

Stuff like this is already available:

"Knife, steel,  multipurpose   2 spans to a half-fore steel blade      This steel work blade is a handy size for a belt knife, useful for whittling, cleaning hooves, cutting apples, or what-have-you around the farm"

"Candle, tallow   4, each a handsbreadth in length   Cheap   These tallow candles burn quickly and smell faintly of pig meat – but they’re cheap and easy to find
Candle, candlebush wax   1, a hand-n-half in length   Most expensive   This elegant herb candle has a natural pinkish colour and gentle fragrance"

"Eggs, Taenish, ready-to-eat   Two, boiled / pickled / salted      Two brown-shelled eggs are cushioned in a little twist of braided straw, fully cooked and ready to eat."

"Milch, cow’s   1 firkin (about 6 cups)      This wooden firkin holds a good amount of fresh cow’s milch, the cream floating thickly on top".

Foodstuffs, by the way, are separate, in http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,11276.0.html - but there's plenty to choose from, depending on your game needs.  If there's something you don't see that you do need, specifically, just post the name and I'll write you the description AND add it to the master list.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #53 on: 19 July 2008, 23:04:02 »

This will be very helpful indeed, Judy! :)

What we still could use more from is all kinds of weapons and armour parts, and some varieties of it, because they will be essential in implementing the battle system.

Weapons could be rather simple ones like clubs, knifes, etc. - the player would start of small, so he/she won't be wearing a two-hander when the game starts, but rather, say, a simple knife. Then he might find another kind of knife (with a special name) that can do more damage and substitute the primary weapon. A club could be a normal one, a big one, a spiked one etc. - get the idea? ;)

Same with different kinds of armour for the various body parts - like boots, gloves, helmets, breast armour, leg armour, armour for the arms etc.

We could also use some kinds of (smaller) artifacts for a start, like rings, amulets etc., stuff that changes your attributes a bit, e.g. give you more luck etc.

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #54 on: 19 July 2008, 23:17:45 »

I checked the 'Areas of Interest' AKA 'sign-up list' for the Master Goods Team Project (yes, Talia, we DO have too many open projects right now to start New Santhala, but it's a shame, isn't it?  Sigh....) and I see that Arceon & Drasil had volunteered to do Weapons & Armour.  I know Arceon hasn't been spotted for a while - how about Drasil?  MIA?

I should be happy to do it myself if necessary, but it's not one of my strengths, and I'm sure there are far more qualified people who'd LOVE to put together a simple weapons list.  Let's see if they are out there and can be tempted.... :)

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 20 July 2008, 02:35:12 »

I'm busy with many Orc things ATM, including a rough draft of "Weapons & Armour of the Northern Sarvonian Orc tribes", otherwise I'd love to help.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 20 July 2008, 13:33:43 »

Drasil hasn't been on for even longer than Arceon.  Sadly, my focus tribes are relatively peacful, so I can't help much with the weapons.  but I guess I could think of a fewpotions and what not.  Once I get greeenflash done, I'll know how to do alchemy entries better, so I'll be able to do some more. grin  I was thinking about doing Gnomish Fire, if you wanted to include that Arti.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #57 on: 20 July 2008, 14:41:15 »

It's not as difficult as one might think , BTW. All that we need for example for weapons is a name and a 1-2 line long description, and that's it. There won't be any shops etc. in the first versions, so we also don't need any prices for now. Also how much more damage a weapon can make will need to be defined as soon as we have a bunch of such weapons.

I will upload screenshots today to show you how far the editor has progressed in the meantime - this will give you an idea what's going on in order to implement the battle system.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #58 on: 20 July 2008, 16:45:51 »

We need armour as well, not just weapons, so that the damage done by beasts is not as severe... can we die?  Or what happens if we do not defend ourselves? Or what purpose do weapons have?

*thinks only in WoW terms..*

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #59 on: 20 July 2008, 17:20:19 »

Yes, it's pretty common that you die if your health reaches zero in a role playing game... Thus wearing armour is strongly advised. :) And to have some health potions with you is recommended as well.

It will be possible to run away however in case you see that the enemies are too strong for you. Also you will have some companions along the way (e.g. the apprentice you free from his laboratory), which you won't be able to control directly however, but they'll fight along your way. Companions most likely won't die, but become only unconscious when their health reaches zero, so that you can still "revive" them after a fight.

Here some new screenshots from the editor BTW as promised:

(click on images to enlarge)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 78
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.