Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - Program Development  (Read 89631 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2008, 04:41:17 »

Uhm... yes.. greenhouses... they are more or less laid out in my mind.. will write room descs as soon as possible.. (but i have no idea when that will be, i just promise that it will be the first constructive bit of writing i present.)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2008, 04:47:38 »

@Rookie: Well, that's what the Introduction page is for. Click on Navigation on top to read details on how to move around. Personally I recommend using the numpad only - you don't need a mouse at all.

Picking up stuff: Also explained on that page, try GET or TAKE [ITEM] and DROP [ITEM]. Note that only things that are defined as items can be picked up, the rest is static at the moment. You will see that you can take itme when the room descriptions show at the bottom:

You see the following items:
- A piece of cheese

In Nepris for example we only have the items you are carrying - so you can try dropping them, taking them again, etc. In the Lorehold you find a piece of cheese in the cheese room near the kitchen, a note as part of the Gamoren quest etc. But there's a lot more we need to add content-wise. We've focused fully on the program engine for now.

@Mira: Yup, greenhouse would be fine :D
« Last Edit: 21 May 2008, 04:49:43 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2008, 05:10:39 »

*looks sheepish*

I knew there was something I was missing....sorry!

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2008, 16:16:17 »

Santhworld Ranks will soon be available, where the percentage of your achieved score ia analyzed compared to the maximum points available per module. At the moment these ranks are not module specific, but this might change later. So that's why we keep the titles general for now.

Broken down the text that will be displayed by entering the SCORE command will look like this:

You currently have achieved a score of [Player score] out of a possible [Maximum module score] points. This qualifies you for the rank of

0%: Utterly Lost Person
0-10%: Good-For-Nothing
10-20%: Aimless Rambler
20-30%: Rookie Traveller
30-40%: Hobby Quest Collector
40-50%: Ambitious Explorer
50-60%: Aspiring Adventurer
60-70%: Respected Santharian
70-80%: Master of Puzzle Solving
80-90%: Valiant Santhworld Hero
90-100%: Official Santhworld Grandmaster
100%: True Santharian Legend

Not entirely happy with "Master of Puzzle Solving" e.g., so if there are suggestions what to adjust or add, please let me know.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2008, 16:38:40 »

Quiz' master (or take the grammatically right expression ;) )

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2008, 16:55:30 »

Arti: this is probably just me, but the introduction page is *really* hard to find if you don't have a direct link to it. Which heading in the site menu is it under? (even with the search function it's really hard to find).

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2008, 16:55:48 »

Quizmaster is grammatically fine but perhaps a bit too modern - why not 'Puzzlemaster' or "Mage of Puzzlery"?  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2008, 17:16:31 »

Er... "Quizmaster" sounds more like a game show host, doesn't it? lol Completing quests is more what we seek. I'm not such an English pro to know if "Mage of Puzzlery" would fit that bill (it could as well mean that you are somewhat making puzzles...). But it sounds quite cool nevertheless.

@Irid: The introduction page is directly available from the site menu by now. Just enter the site and then enter Santhworld through the Santworld link. You get the introduction page then, and from there to the program itself.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2008, 17:34:21 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2008, 17:24:07 »

Oh >.> Obviously, I was trying to make it too difficult lol I didn't realise you could access it from the first page you get when entering, so I was looking under 'Treasures and Oddities' and couldn't find it :P

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2008, 10:34:30 »

Are you going with "Mage of Puzzlery"?  (it does sound cool) 

If not, what about "Questmaster"?  I guess "The Riddler" is already taken, right?  (All together now:  "WRONG FANTASY UNIVERSE!) 

Perhaps  "Lord of the Puzzles"?  or "Puzzleknight"? (starts giggling helplessly and runs away before somebody brings out the whacking fish)

Alysse the Likely
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2008, 15:07:53 »

Ok, let's keep "Mage of Puzzlery" then - it has a certain ring to it, I'd say :) - Will send these details to Grinch for integration!

Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2008, 20:06:08 »

Hello all!

I want to give you a quick overview of the upcoming changes of the santhworld-program:

We redesigned the parsing of what the user types in. There are now pre-defined keywords. All of them have synonyms.
Every synonym links to its pre-defined keyword. E.g. speak. Synonymes are discuss, converse, discourse, chat, talk.
The outcome is, that there will be very few cases in which we don't understand what you just typed in.

Your achieved score will grant you a special title. You can print it out and nail it right over your bed ;)

You will be able to equip armor and weapons or turn on lantern. Simply, you can interact with your items. We can base conditions then to make quests more in depth.

In addition to all of that, there will be an all new battlesystem. Hopefully it will make quests, items and player progression much more interesting.

Features of the first version will be:

- Dynamically calculation of stats and attack values based on your equipment like:
hit/miss/critical/block/riposte chances and mitigation

- Experience points, level up and point distribution.

- Skills/spells for player and monsters like: debuff/damage/mesmerization/healing

- Area of effect attacks, both based on range and amount of targets affected

- Useable items with effects like: healing/manarefresh/buffs

- Coordinate system for players and monsters. They move on an invisible chessboard, interesting for displaying the battle
graphically later on.

- Range attacks with bows or slings

- Pictures and sounds for monsters and player

Actually we are pretty far with all of this but its still some work to do before this goes live. :D But keep an eye on this thread ;)

We are the good ones!
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 06 June 2008, 21:01:57 »

(jaw drops)

Are we talking about the same game here?  Santhworld?  Our little text-based room by room walk through with a hobbit chef, some mad mushrooms, and a room of cheeses?

(looks warily over her shoulder) 

Obviously I will need more than my dictionary and my belt knife the next time I visit...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 June 2008, 21:39:35 »

As long as you keep playing your music and charm everything, you'll be just fine judith ;)

Actually it won't be all new, it's still a step by step project :)

We are the good ones!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 07 June 2008, 02:13:35 »

I assume there won't be monsters lurking in the Lorehold, but the Nepris module will get the role playing stuff integrated bit by bit. :)

Grinch does a lot of work with the battle system, so the code already exceeds the whole main Santhworld program code! But until we can make it available for you to fight with a few zombies a lot of water will still run down the Danube - it's all a pretty complex thing, we need to define items according to certain types, items need be to equipable, the player needs to have varies properties and abilities as well, items need to affect those properties, monsters need to have other properties and abilities, and there are dozens of battle options... - So quite a task Grinch is tackling here!  cool

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1039
Latest: baracude
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.