Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Santhworld - Program Development  (Read 89734 times)
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 07 June 2008, 02:21:53 »

I assume there won't be monsters lurking in the Lorehold

Art dear, you DO realise i'm the one designing the Greenhouse, do you? Not to mention i might do the Stables, eventually..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 07 June 2008, 02:24:33 »

lol Yeah, when I read all that talk about the dangers of the Greenhouses, then things could turn out rather scary there indeed! ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 07 June 2008, 16:53:57 »

Here's just a little update on Grinch's battle system:

Yesterday Grinch sent me a first test version and in general it works already really great :D Of course there are some things that need a bit of tweaking, but it is very entertaining and has enough strategical potential already! You can choose e.g. between various attack forms already, pick the opponents you want to focus on, distances are involved as a tactical component etc.  It also poses a certain challenge to deal with the first monsters in that test area (a zombie, a skeleton and an ogre), but once I adjusted my strategy they were history, also due to "Arti's Mesmerization" spell and the use of some health potions... evil

In case you know a bit of old-school RPG stuff: The battle system we implement is inspired by the old Bard's Tale series, which is a pretty neat system, but of course it needs a few adjustments. But as I said: it is suspenseful and entertaining enough already! Grinch has also got a battle background music from sites that allow free usage of their material, and we have sounds of monsters getting hurt, of potions being drunk, and a little lose and win piece as well - looks really cool, Grinch!  thumbup

Little bug report: There are a few smaller problems though - for example at some point in an advanced round the text disappears shortly for whatever reason, but you can still select the options and things get back to normal. I assume you're aware of this. Distances perhaps could also be shown in the keyword list, e.g. "Ogre (30")" (we need to Santhariarize the distances somewhat, though). But we'll discuss this in detail later. -  In general this looks really fascinating the way it is! Great work!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 June 2008, 19:47:37 »

Ah, you got to know the "lose-sound", what does this tell us ;)

Great that you kinda like it. As it was the first test version for Arti too, and I withheld it for quite a long time, I was kinda nervous somehow ;) It is always easier to work on something that has a potential to begin with! There are a lot of things that will get integrated in the next days. Like rewards or character progression. AI is high on my list too. I want the monsters to kinda react upon what you are doing.

But of course we have to adjust the editor first, to be able to define items, skills, spells and monsters.

About the music and sounds. That is kinda tough for me. It is hard to find sounds that fit, are free to use and most of all are in a good quality. That few sounds took me endless hours to edit etc... eeek. And I'm not good at making music or sounds or drawing pictures. Last time I saw an elephant on youtube making pictures better than me ;)

About the bug, haven't had that happen to me. Maybe we can investigate that later.
I guess it is now time to fine tune the first version a bit.

*walks off, thinking a bit about flesh-eating plants that terrorize the lorehold, hmmmm ;)*
« Last Edit: 07 June 2008, 19:49:13 by Grinch » Logged

We are the good ones!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 07 June 2008, 23:14:13 »

Most of the sounds BTW are very fitting however (even the lose one, but also the win piece) and it therefore makes a pretty complete impression, Grinch :D Of course some bone crushing sound for skeletons would be pretty cool and once you provide the monster's demise with a heavy blow there could be some final death sound (e.g. the bones falling to pieces). Well, we'll have to search for more, some are really hard to come by, but perhaps at some our sound expert Macar could perhaps help out. We'll see.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 08 June 2008, 19:38:37 »

Art, can the new quest-triggers add or remove items/people to locations?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 08 June 2008, 19:39:51 »

Yep, that should be all possible with our script engine :)

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 08 June 2008, 19:41:55 »

Cool!That is going to make various bits of my quest design much easier!

Avrah Kehabhra

Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 08 June 2008, 20:34:31 »

Ok, so what do you need created for this expansive expansion?  A list of items, for example?  Some relative costs?   A chart of possible monster types and weighings?  Weapons versus abilities? 

Please let me know how exactly I could help creatively.  This is our review week coming up and my last chance until after I give, mark, and grade final exams.....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 08 June 2008, 20:59:57 »

Well, we're still in the process of defining what precisely we need. Weapons and prices aren't yet important, because we don't have a trading system or something at the moment - so the player will find some weapons and armour as he/she goes along, and will replace these items bit by bit in order to get more protction and be able to make more damage.

An items list would be great to have though basically, so that we can define the items and put them somewhere in the game to find. This would basically mean we'd need a varierty of weapons (knives, axes, swords, etc.) and armour pieces (helmets, breastplates, belts, shoes, rings for protection etc.) Stuff like this.

If you want to define such an item you need to provide two things, Judy. I give the example with something we already have as an item:

- A short description (will be displayed when the items are listed in the room or your inventory, e.g. A red apple, A chunk of cheese)

- A longer description, 1-2 sentences (this will display upon examining the thing e.g. The piece of federkaese you have here is quite an interesting cheese. It has a bluish-green mold that is allowed to infiltrate the cheese, giving it an itensely unique flavour appreciated by most sophisticates.)

Having a bunch of items  defined that way would already be a great help.

The other things we're focusing on at the moment of course are monsters. We have some nice pictures by Faugar which we can use in a Nepris scenario, e.g. when the player explores Dead Fisherman's Grotto for example (a skeleton, a zombie, a spider, we've got a rat, and we can use a bunch of stuff from Quellion's skeleton warriors as well, maybe we can even use your bat drawing, Judy, and explain it with certain circumstances why they are attacking the player). Nevertheless we need more drawn monsters in the long run, especially smaller things that help the player to gain experience.

For example the story in Fizzlefist's Laboratory can continue with battle elements if we have something to put there. I planned to put in a certain kind of slime monster, which was generated by an experiment that went awry - and you will have to get Fizzlefist's apprentice out of his distress, get rid of the monsters and eventually reach him down there on the lower level. A drawing of this monster would bring the story a good deal forward, and perhaps it's not even so difficult to do, as it's just a piece of slime. We can change the colour of that monster and its form slightly and voliá we'd have different kinds of monsters of a category, each of them with its own unique abilities (some could be spitting acid and stuff etc.). Combined with a spider or two here and there and a rat Fizzlefist's Laboratory could already be quite a challenge.

So yeah, at some point we'll have to do such a monster - so there's a possibility to try your hand on that if you have time, otherwise I'll do it, I guess it shouldn't be too difficult.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2008, 21:02:37 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 08 June 2008, 23:21:23 »

One Slime Monster, Green, coming up....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 June 2008, 01:00:50 »

Eek!

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 09 June 2008, 04:44:39 »

Yeah, this looks marvelous, Judy, and was delivered pretty fast as well :D Just what we need here!

Short note: In Santhworld we ideally use pictures that have a ratio as they are shown in the program, so if the picture has more height then widith then I don't need to cut it unnecessarily. But that's just a general pointer.

Ok.. Now that we have a green monster, maybe you could try (as you said via PM) some other varieties by changing the colour and making it appear slightly different. Then we'll have several of those monsters and can use them for different purposes. At any rate this is great already, Judy! Very much needed! ;)

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 09 June 2008, 23:53:09 »

Sure!  Equally crude, but you don't need very high-res images for Santhworld atm, right?   At some point they can be upgraded or replaced, but at least you've got a couple of monster images... so here you go...

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 09 June 2008, 23:54:10 »

And one a bit more different....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 61
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.