Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Taedrius ~ Vardýnn Province ~ Bird  (Read 6090 times)
Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« on: 28 April 2008, 14:56:37 »

Taedrius
This is the cousin of the Caladrius, mentioned in the Caladrius entry
Overview
The Taedrius (Taedrius being both singular and plural) is much like it's cousin the Caladrius.  Its feathers are a dazzling snow white, in all but the light of the moon, when they shine a magnificent silver.  It is slightly bigger that its cousin though, usually about 4 palmspans tall from head to feet.  They are known for their striking song sung at Sundrown.  Unlike their cousin, the Taedrius are not kept in captivity, not even Alverin Silaon, their most renowned researcher, could capture one.

Appearance
Their feathers are the purest white in the light of the Injèrá, but when basking in the light of the Silarná they glow an iridescent silver.  It is then that their beauty is its greatest.  They, like the Silkel tree, often seem immersed in light.  This bird has an imposing look, its finely preened feathers and knowledgeable stare is daunting to all, human and elven alike. 

From their gleaming white heads all the way down to their slender talons, the Taedrius are about 4 palmspans tall, and from their chest to the tip of their fanning tail, about 46 nailsbreadths. The wingspan of these gentle birds is about 8 palmspans.  These birds are not only larger than their close cousins, the Caladrius, but also far more mysterious.

Special Abilities
It was Alverin who first suggested a somewhat magical nature to the song of this bird, combining a power to gladden or dishearten the listener. Though it can sing as sweetly as the Caladrius, it rarely does, preferring to cause dismay to all who hear it.  Even though it disheartens, no one can deny its beauty.  Whether it is joyful or miserable, it is assured that listeners will be transfixed with amazement.

Territory
The Taedrius are found in only one place throughout all Santharia. Within the deep, dark centre of the Thaelon Forest, in south Sarvonia.  Unlike their cousins, they aren’t kept in captivity and so this is the only place they can be found.  They usually shirk contact with humans and stay in their forest, but on the odd occasion a Taedrius has been seen flying over Voldar. 

They make their homes in trees, preferably Silkel trees, as the trees glowing light help increase their beauty.  If these trees cannot be had then the Taedrius will settle for another, as long as their nest is made from twigs and leaves from the Silkel tree.  They also like to pad their nests with the feathers of an Aelirel.

Habitat/Behaviour
It is here that the Taedrius differs so much from its cousin.  The Caladrius will find a mate for life, cherish them, adore them, but the Taedrius lacks this benevolence.  They cannot stand the presence of another Taedrius, or most other things for that matter, and meet only to mate.  There is but one life that they act kindly towards, and that is their guardian, the Pendrowe.

Like the Caladrius, the Taedrius love to flaunt their beauty.  Theirs is best seen in the moonlight, as it seeps through the canopy and radiates from the Silkel tree.  Because this silver tree is so striking, like the Taedrius, they make a perfect couple, and so these birds spend much of the day perching in these trees, exuding beauty.

Diet
They sleep through much of the day and only wake to hunt, while light still aids them.  Instead, they soar through the night, but this seems for no other reason than the love of doing so.  While they hunt they feast on insects, fruit and small rodents.  A particular favourite of theirs is the Whistle Beetle, enjoying both the food stored under the shell and the beetle itself. Unlike the Caladrius, the Taedrius hunts alone, as with all other things. 

Mating
The mating of the Taedrius is very different from that of the Caladrius.  It lacks the aerobatic dance, and the adoration.  The Taedrius simply meets with another, reproduces and then they leave each other.  During the mating the birds have been known to fight.  It is remarkable that they still mate, even though their hate for each other is so apparent, but perhaps it is due to a deep-rooted instinct.

When the male has left, the female bird then spends a few days padding her nest with Aelirel feathers, as the are easy to find, before laying two or three eggs within it.  These eggs are usually a dark grey, and are often speckled with light spots.  After four to five weeks the egg will hatch.  The chicks have a similarly coloured down to their eggs.  The chicks will reach full maturity within the year and will have left their mother several months earlier.

Myth/Lore/Origin
Like their home, the Taedrius are shrouded in mystery.  But from this mystery a myth has emerged.  It tells of the birth of the Taedrius and the reason for its callous attitude:

A shadow swept across the forest, and the trees were drenched in black.  Not a sound was made by the animals of the Thaelon.  The wind died, the air still.  Still the shadow moved, gliding over the trees.  But a force was there to oppose it.  A light, as white as the coat of a unicorn, went forth to meet this shadow.  The shadow panicked in its presence and sank into a single shape, a beautiful black bird.  The light welled into a similar shape, a smaller bird, whose feather shone.  The birds flew at each other but a fight did not ensue.  The gazed at each other and swooped and soared in such intricate patterns that if any saw they would be driven mad.  And then the dancing stopped just as suddenly as it had started.  The birds met in the sky and a child was made, a child of light and dark.  And when the child was born it took the appearance of the light, but the character of dark.

Researchers
The Taedrius, being shrouded in notoriety, has had only one researcher.  This man was Alverin Silaon.  While he was researching the Caladrius he learnt of the Taedrius.  But, following his nomadic roots, he returned to his homeland without even seeing a Taedrius.  Eventually he moved again and came back and see the infamous Taedrius.  It took him weeks, but he saw one, and like the Caladrius, its beauty captured his dedication.  The following is an excerpt from his research journal:

Today I saw beauty again.  I have spent many days and nights searching for this bird and now I have found one.  The Taedrius is the only rival I have ever seen to Aelién’aváth’s beauty.  Its feathers dazzled me as the light of Injera hit it.  Its song was even better.  It was more beautiful than the Caladrius.  It was not sweet, like the Caladrius, but it broke my heart just to listen to it.  I yearned for more of this bird and so decided to stay in Thaelon.

I have collected much information on the Taedrius.  It was a difficult task and took many moons.  My research was cut short when Aelién’aváth met a Taedrius.  He was full of curiosity and wonder.  The Taedrius was not of the same mind.  It swooped down to meet Aelién’aváth and proceeded to attack him.  Aelién’aváth fled from the bigger beast, as did I.  I saw the dark side of this majestic animal.  My interest in it died.  I cared for Aelién’aváth and then left the Thaelon.

-- Alverin Silaon: "Taedrius: Dark White"
« Last Edit: 01 July 2008, 19:43:57 by Mannix » Logged

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2008, 13:10:10 »

I am done! Ready for comments! grin

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2008, 06:39:08 »

Hey Mannix,

I like the sound of this bird, but I have quite a number of comments to make. The main focus being the somewhat contradictory notes you've made about it.

The following is only my opinion, and as the saying goes, "is worth as much as you've paid for it." ;)  Take what you will from what I say.

And on that note, lets get to it...

~

The Taedrius (the plural is Taedrius as well) is much like it's cousin the Caladrius.  Its feathers are a dazzling snow white, in all but the light of the moon, when they shine a magnificent silver.  It is slightly bigger that its cousin though, usually about 4 palmspans tall from head to feet.  They are known for their striking song sung at Sundrown.  Unlike their cousin, the Taedrius are not kept in captivity, not even Alverin Silaon, their most renowned researcher, could capture one.

In general I think you've gone into too much detail for an overview. Especially when you start mentioning measurements. This whole paragraph needs a much more general tone to it.

I suggest brief mentions of its wildness, its mystery, its beauty and its darker side. Nothing too specific. I'd also suggest trying to use different words in this overview to describe these things, than you do in the rest of the entry. I'm fairly certain nearly every sentence and description you use in this overview is repeated word-for-word later on. Such repetition can make it tedious to read and seem too 'technical manual' like.

~.

They are larger than their cousins the Caladrius.  These birds are not only bigger, but also more mysterious.

This reads awkwardly. I think these two sentences can be combined into a single, more fluent, one.

"These birds are not only larger than their close cousins, the Caladrius, but also far more mysterious."

~

It was suggested by Alverin the Taedrius’ song was somewhat magical.

An awkward sentence again. At the least it needs a comma after Alverin, and then 'that' afterwards. But even then it's not great, and 'that' is a word best avoided where possible, despite its great power to sneak in everywhere. Perhaps something like...

"It was Alverin who first suggested a somewhat magical nature to the song of this bird."

~

It was suggested by Alverin the Taedrius’ song was somewhat magical. Though it can sing as sweet as the Caladrius, it rarely does. It prefers to cause dismay to all who hear it. The song has the power to gladden or dishearten the listener.

Ok - the following few sentences going on from the last one I quote, all combine in a rather odd order. We have an introductory sentence about the song. Then we skip to a behaviour, then a preference of use, and then description of the songs variation.

I think the order.... blue, green, yellow, red works much more fluidly. Although I also think the former two, and the later two sentences can be combined into one and one respectively.

i.e with a couple of other smaller modifications, the whole thing becomes...

"It was Alverin who first suggested a somewhat magical nature to the song of this bird, combining a power to gladden or dishearten the listener. Though it can sing as sweetly as the Caladrius, it rarely does, preferring to cause dismay to all who hear it."

~

The Taedrius are found in only one forest throughout Santharia, Thaelon Forest. They are a rarely seen bird, preferring to dwell in the deeper, darker centre of the forest.

Another two sentences, excessively wordy, that can be rewored to cut out excessive repetition like "They are a rarely seen bird". We can assume they are rarely seen because you just told us they're only found in one place.

"The Taedrius are found in only one place throughout all Santharia. Within the deep, dark centre of the Thaelon Forest, in south Sarvonia."

~

Ok - here we have my main confusion with this bird. Below are short statements from throughout the first few sections, which combined seem to be rather contradictory.

"...usually shirk contact with humans and stay in their forest"
"They cannot stand the presence of another Taedrius or most other things for that matter"
"...gentle birds"
"...but the Taedrius lacks this benevolence."
"Like the Caladrius, the Taedrius love to flaunt their beauty."

How are they gentle, if they even attack each other during mating?

How can they love to flaunt their beauty if they shun contact with any living thing to witness said beauty?

I just can't picture this bird (unless it was an entirely mythical creature and doesn't actually exist), spending its time, in the dark, basking in its own beauty to no witnesses. Makes no sense.

~

Instead, they soar through the night, but this seems for not other reason than the love of doing so.

There's a quick typo in red. But the main comment... you've just said they are nocternal, hunting at night. So there's the reason to be flying at night. This sentence doesn't seem to serve any purpose. If you meant there's no reason for it to prefer hunting at night, rather than day, then perhaps make that a little clearer.

~

It is remarkable that they still mate, even thought their hate for each other is so apparent, but perhaps they have a sense of duty.

Sense of duty seems wrong for a bird.  'A deep rooted instinct' perhaps?

~

When the male has left the female bird then spends a few days building a nest before lay two or three eggs within it.

Three things here. You need a comma after 'left'. The red should be 'laying'. And why is the female bird building a nest when earlier you went into some details as to them making their homes in Silkel trees? I had assumed they already had a nest made? Else where are they living when not mating?

~

The chicks have a down similar to their eggs

*chuckles* I'm assuming you meant to add 'colour' after 'similar' unless these eggs have down too?

~

The light welled into a similar shape, a smaller bird, whose feather shone with the same white light.

I'm not sure if this myth passage comes from someone else's work, or if you wrote it. But I see no need at all for the red part. Just cut it off there. We can assume the feather shone with the same light, simply by them shining and having been formed from the light.

Especially for a story-like part, the language needs to be less technical, and leave more to the imagination of the reader.

~

Its feathers dazzled me as the light of the Sundrown hit it.

Is there much light in the 'deeper, darker centre of the forest'? Especially at Sundrown. I get the impression barely any sunlight makes it through the canopy.

~

I yearned for more of this bird and so decided to stay at Thaelon.

I think 'in' is better than 'at'. It's a forest, not a city.

~

Apologies if I've seemed a little harsh. I wouldn't have bothered with the effort of writing all this if I didn't think it worth it. You have an intriguing entry that just needs some clarification is all.

Best of luck with it, and

Happy Dreamin' :)
« Last Edit: 26 May 2008, 06:46:46 by Smee » Logged

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 18:25:08 »

Thanks for the comments Smee.  Just so you know, alot of my mistakes are because I changed the animal halfway through.  It is actually not nocturnal, I meant for it to sleep in the day and hunt, but fly around a bit at night.  I've re-worded it to make more sense.  I do admit that this isn't my best piece of writing though.  Thanks again.

Mannix
« Last Edit: 29 May 2008, 19:48:19 by Mannix » Logged

Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2008, 11:11:07 »

Ready for Comments! grin

Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2008, 21:06:06 »

Some good changes you've made.

~

When the male has left, the female bird then spends a few days padding her nest with

Ya forgot the end to this sentence  rolleyes

~

They sleep through much of the day and only wake to hunt, while light still aids them.  Instead, they soar through the night, but this seems for no other reason than the love of doing so.

This part still needs a little work. The 'instead' makes no sense, it's not compared to anything.

"They display a strange fascination with night flying, and consequently spend much of the day asleep. Before it gets dark, they will wake and hunt briefly."

Hmmm, still not great. It's a weird concept to get across in a couple of lines.

And be careful, if they're asleep for much of the day, then they can't also be..

and so these birds spend much of the day perching in these trees, exuding beauty

Unless they're doing this exuding whilst asleep, which seems like a silly thing to do.

~

I'm still not really getting the point of such an anti-social bird basking in it's own beauty (which it can't really see, unless stood in front of a mirror/still pond) or comprehend. It possibly doesn't need any alteration to the entry, just you explaining it to me  :P

~

The chicks have a similarly coloured down to their eggs

It still sounds to me like these eggs are feathery.

"The chicks are covered in down, similar in colour to their egg shells."

~

Getting closer, Mannix, keep at it.

Happy Dreamin  :)

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2008, 00:05:59 »

Overview
The Taedrius (the plural is Taedrius as well Taedrious being both singular and plural) is much like it's cousin the Caladrius.  Its feathers are a dazzling snow white, in all but the light of the moon, when they shine a magnificent silver.  It is slightly bigger that its cousin though, usually about 4 palmspans tall from head to feet.  They are known for their striking song sung at Sundrown.  Unlike their cousin, the Taedrius are not kept in captivity, not even Alverin Silaon, their most renowned researcher, could capture one.

Appearance
Their feathers are the purest white in the light of the Injèrá, but when basking in the light of the Silarná they glow an iridescent silver.  It is then that their beauty is its greatest.  They, like the Silkel tree, often seem immersed in light.  This bird has an imposing look, its finely preened feathers and knowledgeable stare is daunting to all, human and elven alike. 

From their gleaming white heads all the way down to their slender talons, the Taedrius are about 4 palmspans tall, and from their chest to the tip of their fanning tail, about 46 nailsbreadths. The wingspan of these gentle birds is about 8 palmspans.  These birds are not only larger than their close cousins, the Caladrius, but also far more mysterious.

You could go into much more detail here....What about how their song sounds? Or the shape of their feet? Do they have unusual numbers of toes? Interesting claws? Crests atop their heads? This is fantasy- You write whatever you like as long as you sell it right!

Special Abilities
It was Alverin who first suggested a somewhat magical nature to the song of this bird, combining a power to gladden or dishearten the listener. Though it can sing as sweetly as the Caladrius, it rarely does, preferring to cause dismay to all who hear it.  Even though it disheartens, no one can deny its beauty.  Whether it is joyful or miserable, it is assured that listeners will be transfixed with amazement.

Territory
The Taedrius are found in only one place throughout all Santharia. Within the deep, dark centre of the Thaelon Forest, in south Sarvonia.  Unlike their cousins, they aren’t kept in captivity and so this is the only place they can be found.  They usually shirk contact with humans and stay in their forest, but on the odd occasion a Taedrius has been seen flying over Voldar. 

They make their homes in trees, preferably Silkel trees, as the trees glowing light help increase their beauty.  If these trees cannot be had then the Taedrius will settle for another, as long as their nest is made from twigs and leaves from the Silkel tree.  They also like to pad their nests with the feathers of an Aelirel.

Habitat/Behaviour
It is here that the Taedrius differs so much from its cousin.  The Caladrius will find a mate for life, cherish them, adore them, but the Taedrius lacks this benevolence.  They cannot stand the presence of another Taedrius, or most other things for that matter, and meet only to mate.  There is but one life that they act kindly towards, and that is their guardian, the Pendrowe.

Like the Caladrius, the Taedrius love to flaunt their beauty.  Theirs is best seen in the moonlight, as it seeps through the canopy and radiates from the Silkel tree.  Because this silver tree is so striking, like the Taedrius, they make a perfect couple, and so these birds spend much of the day perching in these trees, exuding beauty.

Diet
They sleep through much of the day and only wake to hunt, while light still aids them.  Instead, they soar through the night, but this seems for no other reason than the love of doing so.  While they hunt they feast on insects, fruit and small rodents.  A particular favourite of theirs is the Whistle Beetle, enjoying both the food stored under the shell and the beetle itself. Unlike the Caladrius, the Taedrius hunts alone, as with all other things. 

Mating
The mating of the Taedrius is very different from that of the Caladrius.  It lacks the aerobatic dance, and the adoration.  The Taedrius simply meets with another, reproduces and then they leave each other.  During the mating the birds have been known to fight.  It is remarkable that they still mate, even though their hate for each other is so apparent, but perhaps it is due to a deep-rooted instinct.

When the male has left, the female bird then spends a few days padding her nest with Aelirel feathers, as the are easy to find, before laying two or three eggs within it.  These eggs are usually a dark grey, and are often speckled with light spots.  After four to five weeks the egg will hatch.  The chicks have a similarly coloured down to their eggs.  The chicks will reach full maturity within the year and will have left their mother several months earlier.

Myth/Lore/Origin
Like their home, the Taedrius are shrouded in mystery.  But from this mystery a myth has emerged.  It tells of the birth of the Taedrius and the reason for its callous attitude:

A shadow swept across the forest, and the trees were drenched in black.  Not a sound was made by the animals of the Thaelon.  The wind died, the air still.  Still the shadow moved, gliding over the trees.  But a force was there to oppose it.  A light, as white as the coat of a unicorn, went forth to meet this shadow.  The shadow panicked in its presence and sank into a single shape, a beautiful black bird.  The light welled into a similar shape, a smaller bird, whose feather shone.  The birds flew at each other but a fight did not ensue.  The gazed at each other and swooped and soared in such intricate patterns that if any saw they would be driven mad.  And then the dancing stopped just as suddenly as it had started.  The birds met in the sky and a child was made, a child of light and dark.  And when the child was born it took the appearance of the light, but the character of dark.

Researchers
The Taedrius, being shrouded in notoriety, has had only one researcher.  This man was Alverin Silaon.  While he was researching the Caladrius he learnt of the Taedrius.  But, following his nomadic roots, he returned to his homeland without even seeing a Taedrius.  Eventually he moved again and came back and see the infamous Taedrius.  It took him weeks, but he saw one, and like the Caladrius, its beauty captured his dedication.  The following is an excerpt from his research journal:

Today I saw beauty again.  I have spent many days and nights searching for this bird and now I have found one.  The Taedrius is the only rival I have ever seen to Aelién’aváth’s beauty.  Its feathers dazzled me as the light of Injera hit it.  Its song was even better.  It was more beautiful than the Caladrius.  It was not sweet, like the Caladrius, but it broke my heart just to listen to it.  I yearned for more of this bird and so decided to stay in Thaelon.

I have collected much information on the Taedrius.  It was a difficult task and took many moons.  My research was cut short when Aelién’aváth met a Taedrius.  He was full of curiosity and wonder.  The Taedrius was not of the same mind.  It swooped down to meet Aelién’aváth and proceeded to attack him.  Aelién’aváth fled from the bigger beast, as did I.  I saw the dark side of this majestic animal.  My interest in it died.  I cared for Aelién’aváth and then left the Thaelon.
-- Alverin Silaon: "Taedrius: Dark White"

I find no issues per say with your work here Mannix....

But I do think the entry is a little short. Could we not fleshen it out a bit with a few more interesting details?

Jot down a few more good sentences and this could turn into a very nice little entry for us

Good work so far though

Decipher

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2008, 21:42:12 »

Just so you know Deci, I haven't forgotten about this.  I wrote this quite a while ago and didn't really like the way I wrote it.  After reading your comments I've to do a re-write.   Most of the same info will be in there, but with an expanded appearance section, and I'll try to clarify the birds behaviours.

Mannix 
« Last Edit: 08 July 2008, 22:06:31 by Mannix » Logged

Decipher Ziron

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2008, 22:03:15 »

Make that apparent in future.....

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: