Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Magnetism - does it exist in Caelereth?  (Read 20032 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 14 June 2008, 21:08:27 »

In the process of compiling an extensive table of elements for Caelereth (from a developer's perspective atm) I ran across the beautifully-named Lodestone (magnetite).

I had to ask myself - and now you - Does Caelereth have the force of magnetism?  Do magnets, lodestones, and magnetic attraction even exist?  It’s a pretty ‘fantastic’ concept all by itself, if you really think about it…    that some vast bunches of ore-laden rock can attract other types of ore, and that there are lines of power running through the sphere which we live on and can tap into....

Should we create an equivalent?  Is magnetism already mentioned on the site?

(goes and checks)

Ok, 'magnet' is mentioned explicitly once in a Wind spell.  'Compass', on the other hand, is mentioned eleven times, including the concepts of four quadrants.  Don't think we can remove that, as it's implicit in all our mapping as well (north, south, east, west).   Therefore we must have magnetism, and some sort of way to measure it.... phew!    How is that possible on a disc?   

(thinks for a minute)  Here's some concepts - see what you think!

Perhaps 'magnetism' works from the centre outwards.  Somewhere in the centre of the disc is a magnetic middle, which confuses and thwarts travellers crossing it (a Bermudan Triangle effect).  As one moves outwards the pull of the four 'corners' of the earth (er, the disc of Caelereth) becomes proportionately stronger, until it drops off dramatically and chaotically in the Void.

A Caelerethian compass, then,  is constructed from four disparate 'lodestones', each collected from a area as far to the outside as possible.  The more distant, the more accurate, and of course more expensive, such a compass is.   Hey, this could work!

A compass made of lodepebbles from the Prominent Mountains, Strata, Voldar and Denilou would be reasonably affordable, and allow one to navigate generally around the peninsula of Sarvonia.  However, large trader ships would need stones from Aeruillin, the Icelands, Nybelmar, and, well, Denilou, unless Yamalquain is actually accessible at this point... :)

Whaddya think?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2008, 21:36:26 »

OOOhh, this could tie in with the question someone asked a couple of weeks ago about navigation equipment.

And you mention the Prominent mountains. The Ironwood tree grows there (and only there), and contains high levels of iron (suprisingly!) which it obtains from the high-level deposits it grows in. These came from the extinct volcano it grows on. That could work. Perhaps, instead of a lodepebble, you could have a piece of Ironwood?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2008, 21:44:09 »

Magnetism is a fascinating thing and something where science and mythology collide. It is really a huge thing if you think about it, especially considering a medieval society that notices certain attractions of substances that seem to be influenced by a certain unexplainable power (magic? Gods?). So the fact that for example the cradle of everything existing seems to be at the center of Caelereth in the Thaelon might suggest that there are powers around that region that are beyond explanations. So I guess you're on the right track here - there are vast possibilities, that connect science and faith here, and you can't have anything better than that for gnomish scientifst who try to approach belief more from the scientific side.

This becomes especially apparent to me as a LOST aficionado, because magnetism (or magnetism and something broader related to it) seems to be at the very hard heart of the show. Which plays into a main theme of man of science vs. man of faith and that they come together at some point. Not that it is possible to figure out what the series is eventually about at this point, but the important thing in Santharian terms for me is that magnetism (or an expansion of it) seems to be understood as a cosmic principle of keeping things in balance. That there exists a way of the universe needing to correct its course if you unbalance it, a sort of spiritual magnetism - that communicates with people to correct an inbalance. Magnetism as you have it in Caelereth as the center of the world might be one such expression, but there could be much more to it relating on the spiritual side, like dreams and seer stuff, know what I mean?
« Last Edit: 14 June 2008, 21:46:49 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2008, 21:58:49 »

So we have the concept, and the power, but not necessarily the word. 

Should we invent one, or would that uproot too many existing entries?  Can it arise from one of the styrash words the magic forum is tossing around?  Could magnetism be considered an aspect, or avatar of Xeua?   

This is fun!

What about 'Ley', from 'ley lines'?  Certain types of seers could be sensitive to 'nodes' and 'lines' of Ley Energy, just as Weavers are to magic....

And compasses in Caelereth then work by 'Ley Energy' and the power of Sympathetic Magic, which is very powerful in the Dream, if you haven't noticed... :D

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2008, 22:13:11 »

You know, I was just going to mention ley-lines. There is one supposed to run through our house! Apparently, it is that 'invisible energy' which is responsible for my sense of being watched whenever I go into the kitchen. A friend of a friend of Mrs W's is 'psychic', and she came to the house to see what she could see (our house is nearly 400 years old!), and she told us there was a ley-line running through it. She even showed us on a map.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this, but perhaps you could make some use of the info in there?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2008, 22:19:07 »

Yes, I guess the connection with elven (natural) magic and thus the linking to a Styrásh term and belief is pretty much a logical given. "Ley" sounds interesting, but maybe there are even better Styrásh words that could fit the bill, have to take a look.

BTW: The parallels between the LOST island and the Thaelon are quite striking actually. Both seem to be places that are not necessarily where (and especially when) people think that this place exists, because the place seems to border transcendency. Especially the time thing has been mentioned already in existing entries on the site. Plus there is a very strong connection to the afterlife and/or a godly power that has its source at this place and draws things to it - physically and spiritually, speaking for the dead on behalf of "the isle". The main mysterious messenger of the "isle" seems to be impossible to talk to directly, as he is halfway between realities (as such his bodily existence is only momentarily). This guy might be trapped, while Santharian light-elves seem to have willingly chosen to remain on the other side.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2008, 04:53:31 »

Quick note- The Northern Sarvonian town of Tormac would be at about the center of Caelereth.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2008, 08:42:21 »

Actual centre, map centre, known world centre?    There should probably be three 'centre' locations.  The first would exist only for developers ( the map is NOT the shape of the world, so we'd have to extrapolate from a circle placed over it) and would be the true 'magnetic centre', equivalent to 'true magnetic north'.  The second is presumably the one you have provided - thanks for working that out - also only true for developers, and the third would be what Sarvonians believe, based on their system of measurement and the edges of the known world.   That last would make a nice place entry/tourist destination... :)

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2008, 08:47:37 »

Actually, i just took the map, and worked out the exact center of the shape we've got... so, I suppose that would be the true magnetic north... I'm not quite sure how we'd do it geographically... we'd have to redraw the map with a new projection style....

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Mannix
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2008, 14:30:32 »

I don't know if this will help, but I think, if my memory is correct, that many people think Thaelon is the centre of the world.  It is the rumoured place of the Tree of Life, and so most elves them believe that it is the centre of the world.  Actually, in that entry, I think it says something about scientists researching this and saying that it is somewhere in Savonia.  So I guess this means humans think it is in Sarvonia, and elves think it is Thaelon.

I think the Magnetism idea is brilliant.  From my gnomish view, I think it would tied in well.  Maybe it could help explain some alchemy.  Especially for my plans for the Gremm, or even the Black Gnomes, this could be used in sort of shaman alchemy, however I don't think Azhira wants to go that way with the Black Gnomes.  But that's off topic. :D

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2008, 19:04:15 »

I tried to map it out using Thaelon as the centre.  It's not precise... see below.  I wanted to do one using Tormac, but..um...I couldn't find it on the map (blushes)...

You can see that it's not exactly in the centre - in fact, the map is nowhere near circular, which poses some problems (not for magnetic central, but for the concept that the world is a disc, because Aeruillin is supposed to run right into the Void.  If its bottom edge actually did intersect the circle's exterior, then Yamalquain and Nybelmar would be cut off.  Perhaps it's due to a projection illusion?  Ooops, no, because the world IS flat....

Arrrgh!  Someone else help sort this out!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2008, 19:48:04 »

Well, I wouldn't make a problem out of that. The world map is a rough approximation. The world in my eyes was never meant to be an exact round disk, it dives into the Void at its "borders", where you cannot measure anything anyway.

The belief is what counts - that the Thaelon is the heart of the world and thus the magnetic center. Taking into account that deities don't necessarily need to have a proven existence in Caelereth, the magnetic field could be just as weird as the Earthen one, which isn't exactly on the pole either. But the effects definitely can b e felt and measured. And people might have various explanations for it, probably just like medieval scholars. Well, I don't know when it was actually discovered how magnetism works and why, but I assume that a medieval society could very well see it as a wondrous, magical thing.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 15 June 2008, 21:59:19 »

That solves that issue, but raises another one.

If magnetism works in four different directions as I'm postulating, and the pull becomes stronger, or at least more distinct,  as you move away from the centre, there should be a central area where one can barely navigate.

No, wait!   I'm having an idea here which would solve that, based on triangulation - with the right kind of compass, you can triangulate - indeed, 'quadrulate' your position with only one measurement!  Sound improbable?  Ok, let me think through this....

A Caelerethian compass does not have a single magnetized needle.  Instead it has four 'lodestones' inside a large 'bubble' with an elaborately engraved faceplate.  The compass is shaken and the stones allowed to settle along the faceplate as they will, drawn by the strength or weakness of the 'ley'/'magnetic' lines of the area.

With familiarity, a good compass user can not only determine in what direction she is headed, but indeed WHERE she is on the continent (with a large margin for error, mind you...) based on how far away from the centre the stones lie!

Let me draw a picture to illustrate this - be back in a few minutes.....

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 15 June 2008, 22:29:01 »

Sounds spectacularly fascinating at any rate to me :D  thumbup

Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2008, 22:43:23 »

Brilliant, Judy! And if one was to look for Tormac, you would find it, a) right at the center ;), only joking, Dear Bard, and b0 just ant the end of the "curve" in N. Sarvonia, about where The "V" in Sarvonia is.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1084
Latest: reatha16
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!