Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Climate Discussion- Please Sticky this  (Read 7515 times)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« on: 17 June 2008, 08:50:20 »

Thought I'd post a general idea, took me all of thirty seconds, but this could be the basis... I don't now about Nymblamar temperatures though.... I figured Warm. The zones go cold, temperate, warm.

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2008, 12:53:21 »

What do the red lines on the maps represent? 

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2008, 13:14:04 »

Sorry, i forgot, not everyone's will have read the discussions up to this....
the red lines represent approximately where temperatures start and stop... here's a slightly better version

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2008, 15:05:32 »

Although it's good for a starting point, we're going to need more divisions than this.  What you may want to do, Nsiki, is do the country in sections, rather than try to do a world version.  The difference between, say Lu'Weilima and Klinsor are going to be dramatic--they won't both fit under temperate.  So perhaps we can divide up the South, from the Tandala's to Aeruilin, into three climate zones, and the North into two--breaking at about the Heath of Wilderon, maybe?  So then, from North to South, we'd have:

Permafrozen--Icelands and coast, always snow covered.

Cold-Temperate--Heath of Wilderon to Tandalas, snow about seven months of the year.

Temperate--Tandalas to about Bay of the Sky/Seanian Swamps area, snow about five months of the year.

Temperate-Warm--Bay of the Sky to just north of Klinsor, snow two or three months in the year, otherwise rain

Warm-Hot-- Klinsor to Strata, no snow, they have a wet season and a dry season.

I am only using these divisions as a starting point and they are of course very approximate and certainly not set in stone.   But if we can agree on some such climate division system, they give us a basis for discussion. 
If we know, for instance, that Naurooth is peds deep in snow by the twelfth month, we don't send our trade ships there until spring (fifth month at the earliest)  And stories can be written with the appropriate seasonal backgrounds in mind. 

What do you think?

Alysse the Likely
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2008, 16:24:44 »

The climate of Santharia is already done! Look here

Nsiki, I see no reason, why the lines are not at least symmetrical, if not parallel?

@Alysse: Probably we need - for developers - a rough world map and then specific maps for each continent, in this case Northern Sarvonia, where the climate is listed more precise and things like mountains and near-coast-areas are considered.
And local developers wishes like the volcanic undersea activities near Remusiat so that Altario's ships can leave harbour at least for some strals ;)
« Last Edit: 17 June 2008, 16:28:51 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2008, 17:08:48 »

Well, that looks very thorough, Talia!  I for one never knew that was there, and it would have been INCREDIBLY helpful every time I wanted to design a plant...

BUT it's unusable from a developer's perspective because it's hidden inside the entry, and one has to wade through almost two pages of text on climate alone to find the information wanted about a specific area.

Can we take that text and 'translate' it into a map so that it's instantly comprehensible - the information should be readable at a glance, like an atlas page - whether in degrees or in periks?    (Climate 'pockets' for the elven forests are a brilliant concept, btw!  That will show up spectacularly in the visual...)

That link isn't just a starting point, it's most of the info we need.  Though as you say,  it may have to be tweaked, once it's on the map and we see some specific geographical requirements...

OK, so where's a new apprentice with lots of time on his/her hands who wants to colour in a giant map following Talia's texts?  (looks around threateningly)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2008, 20:58:08 »

Exactly!  That's perfect, Talia, except as the Bard says, it would be much faster and easier with a visual.  (I didn't know it was there either, so a separate "Climate" map in the maps section would be very useful.)  Of course, mountain ranges, valleys and coastal regions will all need to be marked and mentioned too, as geography will affect climate.  We need to look at wind patterns as well, since the amount of precipitation will be affected by mountain ranges, of which we have many.

With your permission then, I and Azhira will work out something similar for Northern Sarvonia.   Any suggestions from others are welcome.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2008, 21:44:14 »

Well, I would do it myself if you give me the time to finish at least the distances first ;)

Next week?

Nsiki needs some time as well, so *sigh*

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2008, 23:24:47 »

Yeah, hang on, we need to discuss temperature measurement first!  Everybody please go look over there (except Talia, she's busy with the maps and calipers...)

It's amazing how when you really start to dig in how much is connected...and how much there is left to define.

Magnetism, distance, geography, temperature.... and can you believe we haven't really discussed the moon yet?

Oooooops.....um, Talia, you weren't listening, right?  Just pretend I didn't say that last sentence, ok?    The moon can wait till NEXT summer vacation.....  :D

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 55

General Genius of Remarkable Modesty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2008, 23:31:58 »

How would we measure temperature?

How recent are the ideas of Farenheit and Centigrade?

Laugh ,and the World Laughs with you.

Weep, and you weep alone.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2008, 23:55:53 »

Measure temperatures? Why, in Santharia with our Eur'oak tubes of course!

You just look at how high the ball of Eur'oak wood floats in the Gnomish Water inside the tube, by counting the number of visible stripes on the small pin that comes out of the top and has been graftred onto the ball..

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2008, 01:41:15 »

Let us find a totally different approach:

Ice melts (0 degrees --> Celsius)

xy flower buds open/close  (10 degrees)

zz flowers buds open (15)
butter can be spread easily (20)
yy bushes leaves turn yellow (25)
yy bushes drop leaves  (30)

blood boils  (40)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2008, 01:58:20 »

Great minds think alike (giggles) - here's what I started on...

Temperature approximations to translate to ‘periks’   (1 perik about 10 degrees, say)

melting points   

lead melts at 333 C
Silver   950
Copper 1080
Nickel  1400
Iron  1500
Gold  1050
Mithril 2000

freezing points

water  0
salt water -10 to -20
wine  –5 to -10
beer - 3
quicksilver  -35
human flesh - 25

Now add in some natural ideas, just as Talia has suggested, and we have a pretty useful scale created!   

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2008, 02:29:23 »

The only problem i see here is calibrating your scale.. any volunteers to have their blood boiled? (and i thought about the flowers one, but it's not very effective, since it measures tremendously inaccurately, as well as being susceptible to seasons, weather, being eaten, and being unmovable.)

The problem arises that if we want to write climate entries with actual degrees, we will have to give the caelerethians an accurate(ish) way of telling the temperature. otherwise, they will not evolve a term for the degrees, and simply say warm or cold.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Ruil Mallister

Gained Aura: 0

Ruin of House Mallister

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2008, 12:55:37 »

And yet the Santharians have completely dissected magic to the point where they can teach it in a methodical, practical manner.  If they can do this, I highly doubt that they have not used their magic for scientific purposes.  I find it "unrealistic" that Santharians would not have developed a measure of temperature by now.  I think the direction Judith and Talia are going is marvelous.  Keep it simple, and make it relevant to medieval/renaissance interests.

Though perhaps we could think a little more out of the box on what we base the measurements on?  I was thinking, perhaps the temperature wood catches fire, or maybe when iron melts, or perhaps even when humans begin to perspire?  Maybe when a brownie combusts? *chuckles*  I think the heat at which iron/steel glows red hot (blacksmiths would quickly memorize that temperature!) would be neat.  And if I'm repeating what you guys are thinking, then I apologize. >.>

Anywho!  As for the volunteers for blood boiling comment, there are cadavers for that.  Or for the more wicked................... *ahem*

But yes. I like this threat :3

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1084
Latest: reatha16
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 109
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!