Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ashan's Wart ("thickseed")  (Read 11509 times)
Tha'eli

Gained Aura: 0

Do not fear the shadows, for they should fear you.

View Profile
« on: 25 June 2008, 07:07:33 »

Green - Judith's suggestions
Orange - Miraran's suggestions
Red - Azhira's suggestions

Name(s)
Ashan's Wart, thickseed, thick yarrow, thickplant, thickweed

Categorization
Flowers

Basic Overview of the Plant
The thickseed is not at all a pretty flower; it is covered in a thin layer of mucus, and its leaves are bitter and waxy. However, when the bloom opens to release the pollen, a cloud of the stuff rises out, and can be used for an orcish aphrodisiac - in most other races, it is used as a laxative instead.

Description
The thickseed is an ugly plant; it stands about 1 fore in height, with dark, waxy, grained leaves, usually a palmspan long. Each stem, a grotesque stand coated with a sticky mucus not unlike that produced by the dergimar fly, holds a maximum of five leaves, and holds a large, bulbous bud. The flower spends most of its life as a closed bud, a deep, rich blue colour, and only opens it a few days before its death. At this time, the flower releases a burst of pollen, which has many useful properties, and the gorgeous pink flower within remains open until it dies. This rarely-seen beauty within the beast resembles a lily in shape, but with long, flowing tendrils coming from the tips of the petals and curling in a downwards spiral.

Territory
The thickseed is found in humid areas, mostly in and around the Drifting Woods, blending in greatly with the wide variety of strange flora to be found there, as well as the Rainforests of Shar. It can withstand great amounts of water without drowning, due to its protective coating of wax and mucus, which is useful during the storm months, and when the temperatures cool slightly in the winter, it dries up, preserving its pollen until summer, when the plant will hydrate itself once again and be able to fertilize other thickseeds. Thickseeds usually live in tight clusters, where they can easily pass on their pollen. This also discourages herbivores from attempting to eat them, as it is harder to work through a sea of tough, waxy leaves.

Usages
The thickseed is a fantastic source of properties. In the winter, when the flower dries up and the bud becomes stiff, one can use the head as a rattler, in music or for children, as the stamen within easily break off because of movement, and their dry state cause them to make a little rattling sound when they hit the petals around them. Not only this, but it has been found that the mucus coating the stem of the thickseed, if scraped off, serves as an aphrodisiac for orcs (although the plant grows too far south for it to have been integrated into the culture), and as a laxative for elven and human people. The effects it has on many of the other races of Caelereth has not been researched as of yet, but many - including Hurika Ashan, original discoverer of the thickweed. Not only this, but the cloud of pollen released as the bud opens, if collected carefully, can add a sweet flavour to any meal. It must be sprinkled lightly, however; large amounts can cause bellyache and migraines. This same counts for the mucus; when being used as an aphrodisiac, one must be sure that none of the stem has come off with it, lest you want a fierce pain in your stomach. The seeds of the thickseed are edible, although taste rather bitter, and so are not used very often. Not a lot of research has been done into the effects of these seeds, due to the fact that they tasted so disgusting.

Reproduction
Thickseeds are very set with the moon. Even when they reach adulthood and have produced enough pollen to fertilize their neighbours, they sit and wait. All over Caelereth, thickseeds open at the exact same time and release enough pollen to cloud forests for several hours. The pollen then, hopefully, is led to the stigma of another plant (although self-fertilization does occur, naturally) where it travels down and begins the transformation into a seed.
Only about three to four thickseeds are produced this way, and all very quickly, for they must be released before the plant dies. When some internal clock of this mysterious and hideous plant reaches a certain time, the thickseed stops collecting water and sunlight and merely lets itself die. The seeds, still inside the flower of the plant, fall to the ground with its parent and begin growth in the exact spot the mother plant grew, and are able to feed on the nutrients released from the dead plant. This is a natural way to prevent the spreading of thickseeds; since they are highly inedible, it would cause the starvation of many jungle creatures. Not all the seeds produced begin growth; some of them are destroyed, or eaten by those few creatures who can cope with its bitter taste.

Myth/Lore/Origins
Can't think of anything...
« Last Edit: 26 June 2008, 04:37:43 by Tha'eli » Logged

If seeing is believing...
[development]
then what do we do when we're in the dark?
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 June 2008, 08:59:22 »

This doesn't seem to be related to yarrow at all, and since I have a 'true yarrow' in the works, would you mind changing the name of this plant?

It's clearly a rafflesia spin-off,  and while it looks reasonable at first glance, I suspect Krean may already have something similar.  I don't carry the whole Herbarium around in my head, (boy, it's our day for disillusionment, hmm?  Hope Druadan doesn't read this...) but I'll have a look.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2008, 09:12:13 »

Oh, ooops - I have been guilty of rudeness - not introducing myself and welcoming you to the Dream!

Then again, your name is all over the forums and you are already in the thick of developing, complete with witty banter, so I can be excused for feeling as if you've been here for a while already... :P

I'm Judith, the resident bard.  I help out with various odds and ends here and there, and am Herbarium Mistress for my sins - oh, I see you've already been warned about Mira's experimental greenhouse rooms?  Good....   

You are most welcome to the Dream; there is much to keep even so active a mind as yours occupied for at least the next century. Your energy and creativity will find a satisfying and interconnected realm to wander in and to assist in building.

If you will, however, not take a butterfly's worth of advice amiss, let me remind you that 'slow and steady wins the race' - while it's very exciting to discover all of the goodies this place has in store and to want to help everywhere, in the long run you will need patience and dedication to make your involvement worthwhile.  Don't overdo it and burn out, and do find an area (geographically, at least) where you'd like to concentrate your knowledge and energies.   

Now, here, a small gift to say welcome again.  (flashes a smile and hands Tha'eli her very own scribing set, with engraved inkwell and three sizes of dip pens)   There's a stack of bark paper in every study carrel and the parchments for doing up finished copies are available from the Chatelaine upon request.  Enjoy - and keep on enjoying! 

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2008, 10:39:35 »

I don't carry the whole Herbarium around in my head, (boy, it's our day for disillusionment, hmm?  Hope Druadan doesn't read this...) but I'll have a look.

Suren it's a good thing I'm leaving for my parent's anniversary for a few days, cause I need to recover. This is... stunning. I feel like... hmmm... Drizzt maybe is a good comparison? Good thing I'm semi-atheist, cause I'm sure my religion would be in jeopardy in my mind after today. Hold on, I gotta go ask if my parents still love me... ;)

I'm personally very interested to see the additions Tha'eli brings to the Dream, Bard. Some of the more perceptive followers of my posting may have noticed I've been a little stalkerish this afternoon. You remind me of another eager Dreamer Tha'eli. :)

Good luck over the next few days! I want to see a blue arrow on some of your entries the time I get back, that's an order! (A blue arrow, more commonly a "blarrow", is the icon given to your thread by a mod to signify that your entry is considered ready to be uploaded onto the website.)

Good Luck! (Again)

PS: Make sure you get either Decipher or preferably Coren in here if you do an entry on Krean stuffs. Possibly Bell-Ring one of them when you are done so that they can take a look.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2008, 15:48:47 »

The Krean described on the site  are now are extinct (see timetable), so I doubt their city will still exist. I might be wrong.

The Krean , especially the Lillvear tended their forest to a great extent, it was considered as the representation of their High Goddess. So I doubt, that they would have had an ugly plant. I'm not sure, Coren would like to have it there even today ;)

Territory. The ancient twin kingdom of 5.000 b.S. was located deep within the tropical jungles of the southernmost peninsula in western Nybelmar, close to the spot where the Tree of Ages was erected. Encircled by two rivers the Krean land was a most lush and lavish one. With the highly prized climate of southwestern Nybelmar, and the incredible vegetation of the forests tended by the Lillivear – not to mention the rare flora and fauna unique to their kingdom, the Krean lands were considered by the rest of the peninsula as the worldly representation of the High Goddess’s realm. Thus the twin kingdom has always been sought after by many a conqueror, yet the Lillivear’s skill in diplomacy and Aestera’s arcane knowledge was more than enough to shield their realm from intruders.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Tha'eli

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2008, 16:24:07 »

Sure, Judith, I'll switch the name - I was trying to make it sound ugly :)
And there's already one of these? Darnit! I scoured the herbarium lists for ages looking for something they were missing xD I'll have a look over this again and see if I can change it.

[development]
Miraran Tehuriden

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2008, 16:26:26 »

Actually, Sihitara is still there.. in a way. After the Cataclysm that started the Nybelmarian Year of Darkness, the now mostly ruined cities and the High Temple still remain in the ghost-haunted woods that once were the great empire of the Krean. I'll send over Decipher to have a l;ook at how we can place this more accurately, but currently the only woods i can see as being carefully tended to, are the forests on the west coast of the Kaerathi plains in the northwest of nybelmar, where the descendants of the Lilivear live.

Oh, and Tha'eli, might i divert your eye to this forest as well? i think your plant would positively thrive there!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Tha'eli

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2008, 16:31:05 »

@ Talia: Well, the outer plant itself is extremely ugly, but due to my revisions, the inner plant is positively gorgeous, in scent and appearance :)

@ Miraran: That forest does indeed look promising... I can't make up my mind! Too much to choose from.

[development]
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2008, 16:33:00 »

Well, you can place it in as many places as you want! As long as it makes sense (so no combining mountaintops with jungles, or swamps with deserts...)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2008, 16:53:03 »

Aha!  I was thinking of the http://www.santharia.com/herbarium/lashardia.htm, which digests protein, particularly corpses...

And we also do have the http://www.santharia.com/herbarium/tangleweed.htm
AND the http://www.santharia.com/herbarium/bethelatron.htm, the latter of which is pretty much the Venus Flytrap equivalent.

So - three bug/insect/meat-eaters already - you'd have to have a pretty creative spin on the Thickseed to get it to stand out....      but take a look at the three links above and see what you think!

Tha'eli

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2008, 16:54:17 »

Well, I've removed the entire section on the meat stench etc. and have tweaked it up a bit. I also renamed it (Ashan's Wart), given it some uses and a reproduction cycle.

So now I just need to work on the categorization, the overview and some lore, and my first draft is completed.

[development]
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2008, 16:58:33 »

The Categorisation is simple; Flowers

Avrah Kehabhra

Tha'eli

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2008, 19:11:06 »

Oh, right xD

[development]
Tha'eli

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2008, 19:14:46 »

And I've changed the location to the Drifting Woods, as Miraran suggested.

[development]
Miraran Tehuriden

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2008, 19:34:37 »

I'm still calling in Decipher though, maybe you can have both locations. (Yay! More plants for my forest!)

Avrah Kehabhra

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]