Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Overview - Blunt Weapons: Maces  (Read 1546 times)
Seeker

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 30 April 2010, 05:36:09 »

OK, An overview for Maces has been started a couple of times now.  Each time it was determined we are heading in the wrong direction and then the newbie who started it left (I have attempted to contact them to no avail).

The last time we tried this it was agreed we should have three overviews under the Blunt weapons heading,  (Maces, Hammers, Clubs)  This is similar to how the swords are split into three sections.

I am resurrecting this so we can get it done. Once it is posted, credit will be given to the past authors as appropriate.  This is the overview for Maces (Hammers and Clubs forthcoming).

Comments welcome.  

MACES OVERVIEW
Maces are powerful one or two handed weapons use to strike and bludgeon an opponent.  As with the axe or hammer, the mace is made of a bulbous head and shaft of varying length. The shaft serves as the handle and can be made from hard wood, metal or bone.   The majority of the weight is concentrated in the head of the weapon and is designed for bludgeoning.  Certain variations of the mace have been known to have spikes, flanges or knobs in the head to increase the damage the weapon inflicts. Some maces are used in a more ornamental fashion and have very intricate designs on the head using gold and silver and even precious gems.  However even ornamental maces can be deadly. There are several types of maces:  Light Maces, Medium Maces, and Heavy Maces.  Currently we know the following kinds of maces in Caelereth (listed alphabetically):

I. Light Maces
VIRGE
A tool for corporal punishment, use as a riding crop, and the torturing of criminals this light mace is well known amongst guards, city watches, criminals, holymen, and choristers alike. Made of a long length of wood and usually set with a copper, brass, or bronze bobble, the virge is a light weight weapon used by militia men, guards, and priests capable of carrying out punishments with the mace. Though this weapon can at times be used as a ceremonial tool, it is capable of serving as a powerful weapon to those with limited knowledge on how to wield a mace. Notably, the shaft is a great deal longer than that of other maces, and a cross is usually fixed onto the head of the mace for either effect or infliction of pain.

II. Medium Maces
FLANGED MACE
The flanged mace is an average mace made from a long shaft of metal or wood, with a bulbous end lined with flanges or protruding metal. The flanges focus the energy of the blow and may be blunt or sharp.  With the invention of armour plating, and full bodied suits of armour, maces were designed to smash through, and crumple the obstacles that armour posed to foot soldiers, knights, and cavalry.

MORNINGSTAR
The morningstar is a basic mace, the only difference being that it has a spiked head. The spikes on the head of this mace are such that they appear to be like the rays of sunlight. This weapon is meant to puncture through metal plates with incredible ease, and adds a more sadistic flavor to the average mace. More often than not, the shaft of the morningstar will be made of wood to increase the momentum when swinging the morningstar. Few people use this weapon, but certain powerful dwarves have been known to wield two of these weapons simultaneously. Style and flair are lost on this weapon, but none can deny that it is an incredibly powerful tool of war.

III. Heavy Maces
WAR MACE
The war mace takes the concept of the mace, and is designed to amplify its destructive qualities. These maces come with many variations, the most common being an increase in the size of the weapon, particularly the head. These maces are usually spiked, or studded for added effect, and are generally used by more muscular or higher ranking individuals capable of making the purchase. Unlike regular maces, the spikes tend to cover the entire head of the weapon giving it a pincushion appearance. Humans, orcs, and dwarves have been known to employ the war mace in combat while most other races tend to shy away from such a heavy weapon. Though few use the war mace with relish, the destructive power of this weapon is unparalleled on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 23:08:26 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2010, 05:53:28 »

Blunt clubbing weapons played a huge role in the early years of orcen warfare. However, they were invariably rough and basic, made from tree roots, bones or whatever came to hand. As time progressed, they acquired more sophisticated weapons, mainly from 'spoils of war'. Later still, some of the tribes developed the skills needed in order to forge their own weapons, but clubs, maces and hammers remain popular to this day.

I don't know why I'm telling you all this. But there you have it.  grin

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Seeker

Gained Aura: 464

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2010, 09:37:33 »

Great, Tharoc.  If you would like to describe a Orc weapon that fits the maces overview feel free.  We could add it until a full entry gets done (judging by your list that will be in a couple of years)  The early weapons you describe would be good for the Clubs section I will be creating next. 

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2010, 15:48:12 »

Style and flare

I think you've been spending too much time on the Antislar  lol Do you mean flair?

Athviaro

Pedantic Critic of All Works

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2010, 03:39:12 »

No probs Seeker. I'll create a short list of early 'striking' weapons (with names) first so you can add them to your list. I'll fill in the details inbetween my other stuff.

My list probably would take a couple of years to work through, if I started at the top and worked down. :(
However, I'm making a conscious effort to clear my decks of all the things I've got part-finished at the moment (most of which you haven't seen yet) and not to take on anything else until I've done so. Apart from helping Azzy with the Osther-oc re-write, obviously. I couldn't resist that one. :)

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1038
Latest: kenn3th40
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.