Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: First Draft Climate Map of Central Sarvonia  (Read 32467 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2008, 20:29:02 »

Ahah - if we NEED a greater choice, then yes, feel free to make more.
 Just stay in the yellow-red range and you're fine - though if you create more zones or split/rename one of my suggestions, please mark that clearly.

In fact, I will redo ALL the colours eventually (they are just taken from the basic MS Paint palette) so that we see the blend from blue/cold to red/hot much more clearly (and elven forests in purple). 

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 10 July 2008, 22:07:53 »

Forests purple?? speechless  Forest=darkgreen??  (my favourite colour if I are forced to choose one)
Or do you need the green for the blue scale?

Anyway, your work, I should not be here right now.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 July 2008, 22:14:00 »

I think Judy just used purple because it is bottom of the scale, and since elven forest are unusually, she could sort of separate them. huh

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 July 2008, 22:37:02 »

What does it mean by elven forests are self-moderated? Does that mean elven forests in the north are that way?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 11 July 2008, 01:21:06 »

Several questions here:

a) look at the new colour scale posted in the Climate Discussion.  (We really need two threads made out of that, one for climate and one for temperature! )  I've created a 'light palette' from cold to hot for the wetter zones, and a 'dark palette' from cold to hot for the drier zones.  That gives us twice the number of climates to play with. 

Yes, purple stands out nicely from the cool-to-hot spectrum, and makes the elven forests very distinctive on the map - clear that their weather does not simply fit neatly into the coded scale.  I've assumed that they are on the 'damp' side of things, as most of the elven forests are described as 'lush' and 'heavily vegetated', so, since that takes moisture.... they get purple. 

I have also balanced that with a pale pinkish colour which I've called "Wyrdrings" - basically a placeholder for a concept for certain special or sacred areas, like the Standing Stones.  However the energies behind that play out in the end, they are already on-site, as are other strange places through Caelereth.  With all that magic floating around, why not make them the 'dry' parallel to the elven forests - give them their own tiny bubble of climate, whether savagely inimical to human life or peacefully tranquil (as the meadow inside the Stone Ring is described...)

b) self-moderated means that they have their own climate, from icy to summery, as need be.  I've just tried to find a shorthand word for how that was described in the actual entries.   I have no idea if that applies to all of them, but probably the energy is there to do so, whether the elven clan chooses to 'tap into' and use it or not...  so, purple for the elven forests to indicate that special rules apply!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 July 2008, 13:25:50 »

Before you get started on the North, maybe I should take a look at some of those place entries to see what should be updated.  You quote  "Northern Sarvonia - in high summer a boat can force its way through the frozen seas"

But the seas should not be frozen in summer!  That's in the Icelands, but not much further south than that!  THAT will have to be changed.  The Kuglimz lands and the Kaaer lands are not that cold.    Think Northern Ontario/ Northern Europe, NOT Arctic or Siberia.  I'll have to check that.  So don't rely too heavily on older entries for climate rules yet, okay? 

The Celeste Lowlands are surrounded by mountains, so they'd be protected from a lot of precipitation and cold fronts.  That'd be a  cool-temperate zone on the map, I think. 

Anyway, I'll do some research and see what needs changing ASAP.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 July 2008, 15:14:03 »

The Bay of Calinth has already been established as open in summer, as the Remusians have been given a navy (small though it is) and fishing vessels, which I plan to expand on in my revision.  I hope this is not going to change completely.  The iceland coast as drawn here shows that it is not completely permafrost in the Remusiat area (which is right about where the "a" is on "Gaths Peak"), and has a short but cool summer, where there is melting (though in some years, I'm sure not all the ice would completely disappear on the ground), but the salt sea would open up.

This is going by the current Remusian Men entry.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 11 July 2008, 15:25:40 »

I agree, these things have to be decided first. Again I would say, to not give the dates in the entries a too big weight, but to draw an overall picture. Of course the few entries have to be looked at, but they should not decide the climate of a whole region/continent. A second point, we should look, what the actual developers NEED and try to incorporate that.

It has to be decided about :

- Which parts of the northern seas are frozen all year round (e.g. the sea north of Caaehl'heroth?) OR do we want to have a passage for at least a month or so?

- Which parts will have snow all year round? (Proposal: Those which are actually white on the map, like the Icelands coast, the Peninsula of Iol and this tiny bit in the north of Caaehl'heroth)

- Which parts will have permafrost (only the upper 1 to 3 handspans actually thaw), growing things is possible, but difficult, it grows slowly.  Azhira's people might be affected . With this we decide, that these people up there will be mainly hunters AND not very numerous.

We need to take into account:

- That the Remusians need an open sea for at least half a year. I proposed to him some volcanic activities on the sea bottom in the bay before Remusiat, so that it will not freeze entirely, but though the Remusians cannot sail to the south, they can at least get some fish. Of course, there are other possibilities to get the fish as well (through a closed iceblanket)

- I imagined always, that the sea is open between the single Wicker Islands in the summer, but frozen in winter. (Not too thick though, about a ped max)

----> warm water currents from the south for half a year, no time to post my proposal (totally unscientific!) for maritime currents.

To the climate map. I didn't know it myself, but somehow I was unhappy with the concept of the climate map, I had to look too often which colour meant which and what the temperature were for a certain climate. I would like to propose another approach - or maybe both can be done .

I would do the Rahaz-Dath map this way, it can stand alone and doesn't have to be necessarily look like the main one.

My idea is based on a temperature map, where the temperatures are shown with different colours, the dampness of a region with a overlaid pattern. One map for summer, one for winter, maybe even two for day and night, in the same picture. How this pattern will look like, I have still to decide. 

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 11 July 2008, 15:26:43 »

Altario, you beat me with posting, but I thought at your needs ;)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2008, 16:48:06 »

I can sympathize with the 'too many colours' sensation, but the hues do not represent temperature OR humidity only - they represent climate zones.  Those zones, going by the many entries already on the site, cover all the various climates listed except where developers have deliberately created extremes (such as Ximax, which people have already commented will probably need to be revised). 

In the spirit of KISS, I'm going to stick with creating one map, not four.  Honestly, do we really need to have every last little detail spelled out and enforced for us?  We can probably figure out that there will be a temperature and moisture variation between day and night, and between winter and summer! (just as in the Master Goods list, we want simple averages as benchmarks, rather than a comprehensive list...) 

All I'm trying to do here is collate what already exists so that it's in one spot, not eighty.    And I'm going to do it from the bottom up, as is my typical approach - using the facts and assumptions that have already been given, rather than imposing a rigid scheme from the top down (only works if implemented at the beginning of a project, in my experience... :) )

Just as Talia has given approximate measurements for the stral distances on the continent, so I'm going to provide approximate climate zones; it does not bind developers but allows them to make an educated guess about a specific area that they may be developing.

However, also in the spirit of KISS, I'll see if I can't find an easier way to represent the multiple zones so that they are more 'readable' at a glance.  The first version was too simplistic to effectively describe Sarvonian weather.... but we needn't swing too far in the other direction, either, and make it unnecessarily complex!

A revised Climate Zone colour chart will be coming - watch this space... 

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2008, 17:30:04 »

And here it is.  Look carefully at the names, colours, and what they represent. 

If they cover all the options to date, then I can go back to the map and recolour areas as suggested.  THEN we can move on to Stage Three - changing entries if necessary to reflect common-sense decisions about climate, where an area seems to conflict with those around it.

Mannix
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2008, 17:33:32 »

They're really good Judy, they give much moreinformation.  Would you have time to describe them though, as I'm not sure what some of them mean.  min and max tempoeratures for summer and winter would be nice too, not that I want to pile extra work on you. :D  Sorry if I sounded arrogant.

Mannix

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Development Schedule ~ The Hobbit Deity Liran ~ Hobbit Beliefs Discussion
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 21 July 2008, 20:22:24 »

No, no, not a problem, Mannix. 

What needs to happen before that, though, is actually defining a temperature scale and measurement device for Santharia.  It's all rather mixed up together in the Climate/Temperature thread at the moment, and I have to get back to the Perik scale and work that out before we can assign any averages, minimums and maximums...   Also, I do want to keep this general so that specific needs can be met for specific areas (like ice-free ports, thank you Altario and the others!)

Rookie Brownbark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 71

Researcher of all Things Brownie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 July 2008, 20:31:37 »

Oh!  You have an undecided bit around the Vale.  I'm so sorry Judy, I've neglected you!  Central Balmy works great with my own preconceptions - I was imagining that the Vale itself would get a lot of it's water as run off from the mountains around it.  It would be a sheltered forest of deciduous trees with really thick undergrowth in parts (probably the parts where there is water). Does that work ok?

And just one question about the new colour scheme - what do you mean by "vibrant" under "Varied Desert"?  I like the names by the way - Searings and Swelters lol

Diminutive and crunchable
Brownie Board
Development Schedule

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 21 July 2008, 21:04:18 »

I cant actually find it, but isn't there a map of the oceanic currents? And shouldn't that (provided they work more or less like the terran versions) mean one coast of Sarvonia is significantly milder than the other?

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[Yesterday at 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 54
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 83
Total: 83

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.