Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: First Draft Climate Map of Central Sarvonia  (Read 32500 times)
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 July 2008, 21:31:12 »

If that's true, and I must see this oceanic current thingy Mira, then I vote east is stormier than west. grin I always envisioned fairly rough winters on the east coast. Though not equal to northern storms of course. But bad weather is so much more interesting to have than bad weather. And especially around the Mithrals, heavy storms may get stuck over that coastline quite a bit. Blocked by those mountains. Of course, now I've gone and described a very narrow area. Almost like I have an ulterior motive or something...

Off to find the current map! I need a guide for such an expedition. *trusses Mira up in a big puffy wetsuit and helmat* Mhmm... you'll do just fine.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

-Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine Man"
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2008, 21:38:12 »

It all depends on which side gets the warm currents Dru ;)

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 July 2008, 22:01:17 »

Um... er... of course I knew that...

Well, after spending 30 minutes looking I've got nothing pertinant. Because currents have been revised based on our semi-new decisions on the sun and moon, we can't expect an older map to be accurate. The playing field is MINE. Lol now I just have to find a scientific way to prove that the currents fall on the side I want them on Mira. But don't tell anyone this plan...

Actually, semi-unrelated but good to have, I found this:
http://www.santharia.com/dev/index.php/topic,11904.0.html

Also, Fox's dev schedule says she wants to help with currents when the time comes.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 21 July 2008, 22:02:47 »

I have the nagging suspicion Talia will know where to find that map Dru.. don't get to excited yet :P

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 21 July 2008, 22:14:56 »

Yes, let's hope so.  I've invested in five pages' worth of thread necromancy and haven't uncovered any actual maps or 'current' discussions (no pun intended).  However, I've bumped a few pertinent old threads that may refresh some ideas, and will post one of my own ancient suggestions and see how far along we've gotten already....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 July 2008, 22:16:19 »

Mhmmm good point Mira I wouldn't be surprised... there's a joke involving an elephant here that I'm gonna leave out for my health. :D Only kidding Talia, of course...

I'll go watch Bard ressurect threads now, shall I?
« Last Edit: 21 July 2008, 22:21:39 by Drúadan » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 21 July 2008, 22:19:09 »

Judy quotes herself:  a way to develop climate

"a) Start with whole disc map
b) Draw horizontal climate lines across the whole thing
c) Adjust climate lines upwards and downwards around main mountain ranges and valleys
d) Sketch in main current lines in seas
e) Adjust climate lines upwards and downwards in 'bulges'  as currents dictate
f) Sketch in main wind directions (some already mentioned in entries)
g) Adjust climate lines in similar bulges to allow for winds
h) Now let everybody look at the map and see where microclimates might exist around their areas (forests, deltas, sheltered valleys, peninsulas, etc.) and make proposals to adjust the lines as necessary. 
i)  Revise map once more and add meteological symbols (snowy, rainy, dry, etc.) and colour-coding from 'hot' oranges and reds to 'cold' blues and whites to indicate the various climate regions.
j) Publish map, sit back with glass of malise-honeyed thyron cha'ah and relax in the serene confidence of a job well done! "

Hmmm.  It seems we went straight from b) to h) in making assumptions and writing our own entries.  Fortunately, we did all roughly assume b).  Obviously, c) to g) would now be very helpful to establish, particularly d), Currents.

I'm already on i), with a rough climate description taken from existing entries, plus a climate description and colours table which should help us all get on the same page, plus the Temperature submission with its own Santharian units. 

Now, if we can overlay the Currents map with the Climate map, that would be quite informative.  Look what happens if you overlay the Rivers map, for example.......

« Last Edit: 21 July 2008, 22:25:56 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 21 July 2008, 23:06:56 »

That is usually only true for truely large rivers. It does afect the chance of storms occuring and the depth of the seas, but a river ir rarely strong enough to affect the titanic forces of an oceanic current.

Avrah Kehabhra

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 21 July 2008, 23:14:57 »

Wikipedia: An ocean current is continuous, directed movement of ocean water. Ocean currents are rivers of hot or cold water within the ocean. The currents are generated from the forces acting upon the water like the planet rotation, the wind, the temperature and salinity (hence isopycnal) differences and the gravitation of the moon. The depth contours, the shoreline and other currents influence the current's direction and strength.

BUT on a disc, we may not necessarily have the same forces that affect and create terran oceanic currents.... our 'planet' doesn't rotate, we have the pressure of the Void, alsetism, and darkwinds which Terra doesn't, and our moon is in a very different situation...

Oooh - big big question.

Is there an edge somewhere in Caelereth where the water pours off all around the world???  And if not, what happens to it?  How is it 'held in' or on the disc's face?   

I cannot believe this wasn't asked earlier....

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 21 July 2008, 23:19:16 »

i think it was, and i think the answer was "no idea, but it doesnt seem to be running dry"

but the edges of the world are not realy a standing line, are they? the disc just fades into the void.. i suppose that if you sailed into it, you'd just end up on a plain sea.. of infinite size. Just like walking off the disk from aeruillin, only wetter..

edit-> Even Terry Pratchett, the absolute authority on disk worlds, does not have a solution for the draining sea problem...

Avrah Kehabhra

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 22 July 2008, 00:06:47 »

Back on topic ( :P ) , I've posted new maps and resources to the first post in this thread.  Anyone who has something to contribute will want to borrow the template and the colour zone chart and try filling it in themselves, particularly for their own specific area! 

(if you hit 'fill' and it spreads over more than one area, my apologies - there may be one- or two-pixel holes in some of the lines.  Redraw the lines and fill with whatever colour you'd like to grab for your region, then post to this thread.  I'll collate it all in a master layered map anyhow, so it doesn't have to be too neat...)

Help and comments greatly appreciated at this stage...

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 July 2008, 00:19:20 »

Maybe there is another world on the flip-side of the disc, and the water just 'turns the corner' and becomes their ocean?

Wow, man. That's, like, really deep dude. *takes another toke, remembering not to inhale, just in case his political career takes-off*

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 22 July 2008, 01:10:00 »

Acually, we've got that bit covered, and its quite certain you cant just walk around the disk that way ;) remember, we have a colony in the void!

Avrah Kehabhra

Drúadan
Aspiring Member

Yeah...No

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 22 July 2008, 08:28:06 »

*sigh*

Adding another element semi-related to this.

Do we have names for various storms and weather occurances? I.e. do we name "hail" the same, how about hurricanes, and er... big waves (tsunamis)? I need these for an entry, but I was wondering if anything had been decided on this front before I perhaps begin brainstorming substitute words. {?}

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 22 July 2008, 09:32:30 »

nothing that i know of, but making up your own words is always fun.. and while a word like hurricane might be usable here, tsunami for instance is certainly something you'd need to replace.

Avrah Kehabhra

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.