Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Víoel Family  (Read 6531 times)
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« on: 04 September 2008, 09:32:09 »

The Víoel Family

Overview
The Víoel are a family of stringed instruments with Halfling and Elven origin, though they have gained appeal throughout Caelereth. The Víoelì are small in size as to be easy to hold with one hand, rested beneath the chin, while the other plucks or draws a bow across the strings. Two others help to complete the group, the Víoelà and the Víoelò, which sit upright on the floor when played. Now ranging from a bit over one palmspan and seven nailsbreadths to more than one ped and two fores, they have shrunk and grown with their popularity, dependent upon the size of the player and the race which modified them to their ideals. Despite the wide range, the soft yet clear sound produced remains the same with the varieties. The squeaky high and barely audible lows give musicians almost limitless possibilities with music composition. Bards are quite fond of its compact and light nature, as well as its ability to play well alone or with a large ensemble of friends, able to be enjoyed anywhere and everywhere in the world.

Description
Shaped lovingly like that of a woman's figure, its gentle curvature only adds to its simplistic beauty.

Production

Playing
The basics of playing the instruments from this family are the same. Any variation in style is from either size, style of music, or culture. A bow is drawn across the strings to create a continuous sound, which will last as long as the bow does not stop, even if its direction of movement is altered. At times, the strings may be plucked with the index finger from the bow hand, yet these instruments should never be strummed. The likelihood of strings breaking increases, and it causes the instrument to go greatly out of tune.

Víoelì
The neck is held in the left hand while the bottom is tucked firmly beneath the chin. Cloth or cushioning is sometimes placed at the end to protect the player’s neck and shoulder, especially if the instrument will be played for any great length of time. This cushion also serves as added grip to help hold the instrument place so it does not slide from its position while the musician is playing. The hand curves around the neck with the thumb and fingers facing one another from opposite sides. The thumb rests on the side of the neck while the fingers wrap around and lay with their tips upon the strings.

Held daintily in the right hand at end, the bow has one job, to rub its hairs on the strings to create noise.

Víoelà
Being quite a bit larger than the smaller

Víoelò

Usage

Origin and History

Myth/Lore

« Last Edit: 18 August 2010, 12:06:28 by Telàmorí V'uoríen » Logged

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2008, 09:44:19 »

Ha! I read the thread and started thinking about a double bass pedal... heavy metal hobbits ;)

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2008, 09:47:13 »

Silly you, why would they have such things?!  grin

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2008, 21:27:41 »

Delightfully named, with their own 'built-in' mnemonics - just my favorite kind of trick!   I look forward to seeing how you plan to develop these lovely instruments.  Brava!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2008, 03:32:59 »

~*blushes*~ Thank you, Masterbard. I had originally thought of doing just the violin/fiddle for the hobbits, but after some thought it seemed to make more sense to do this as a instrument family instead of a single.

Oh! And don't worry, Artimidor. I have plenty of plans to integrate Dalireen into this entry. She is part of the ultimate inspiration!  grin

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2008, 07:48:28 »

For your inspiration:
Aeolian Harp
Hurdy Gurdy
Baryton
Kemenche
Lira da Braccio
Etc.

Don't forget that the current violin family (violin, viola, cello, double-bass) is the (for now) end of a long historical evolution (see examples above)! Santharia might have different end results (originality, woohoo). Can't wait to see what else you might come up with :)

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2008, 08:06:21 »

I am sticking with the current Violin family (obviously from my title). As it will cover a wide range already.

Thanks, though! ^.^

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2008, 08:13:58 »

Don't worry, I'm not dropping them on your plate so that you could swallow them all at once, merely to taste. The idea in mind was to offer examples to replace one of your ingredients to make them more different from our Terran family, not to add more family members. But it's up to you, good luck!

- Shendar Proverb
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2008, 08:26:17 »

Well, with this being my first entry, thought I would keep it fairly simple, and I am making some of my own variances. But definitely something to think about for future ideas.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2008, 08:55:35 »

Fascinating links, Gean - thanks!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2008, 10:04:30 »

Oh, just some thoughts on the Baryton and Lira da braccio, as well as the Kemenche. 3+ stringed instruments in this family will be covered!

No worries :)

I think I will leave the "harps" to a harp entry :)

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2008, 20:08:57 »

That Aeolian Harp is something we should really have.

*is taken by a sudden "gust" of enthusiasm and raises his finger in class, imitating "the pick-me scene without jumping around the class room*

*reserves Aeolian Harp like entry*

And now I'll stop cluttering the thread :)

- Shendar Proverb
Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2008, 07:25:54 »

I have some of the entries reserved, Gean. No worries, they will be done! Just not in this entry :)

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2008, 21:26:56 »

I'm keeping an eye on this one!

I hope you will add the 'variant' names as well, though as I've said I love the ones you've given: it helps in a number of ways (people searching who may not know what the 'proper' name is, know where the accents are, or simply want to find any reference to 'fiddle music', for example).

For example:  "The Fioeli (also Fíoelì in Styrash, Violine or Violin in Tharian, Fiddle to the Hobbits, and VivEl to the Dwarves) is a beautifully-shaped little stringed instrument, played with a bow drawn across its strings....." etc. etc.

Fíoelà and Fíoelò can have similar regional names - it provides a lovely touch of realism and the sort of layering that gives an entry richness.  Look forward to seeing more written here!

Telàmorí V'uoríen
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2008, 04:32:21 »

Bumping as I am gonna try and work on this in the next few weeks, now that I may have a bit of free time again with one holiday out of the way.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]