Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Krean Religion  (Read 7544 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 March 2013, 17:50:02 »

Thanks Talia! It's easy to read. Every sentence is short enough that it can see its feet when it looks down. I promise.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2013, 18:02:29 by Coren FrozenZephyr » Logged

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 22 March 2013, 04:43:23 »

Just had a first look, and there are some things already pretty obvious, which need to be fixed from what I see, Coren:

You have three paragraphs double in your entry, apparently word for word. These are the first three paragraphs in the Belief Outlines, which are also part of the Overview. Aside from that the Overview is indeed extremely lengthy, longer than the first part of the Belief Outline, and that should never be the case - as the Belief Outline is supposed to contain the details which the Overview is supposed to only sketch. The Overview should be as short as possible, only a teaser if you so want, a teaser to read the rest, and provide just the basic information without getting into any details. Right now that's not the case, so I recommend to move things around a bit and adjust the Overview shorter and more to the point to the point.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2013, 04:40:08 »

Done, Arti. Overview shortened. What do you think of the content though? :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 30 March 2013, 15:50:03 »

Won't get to a closer look before Tuesday, as until then I need to work on the Treasure Shoals to use my vacation time. Stay tuned!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 03 April 2013, 04:35:41 »

Ok, finally had a closer look here, and it's definitely a very interesting approach, so aura +1 at any rate! grin Some parts are still a bit unclear, could be more specific etc. nevertheless, so let's have some basic comments:

- Overview: Well, it's still not way we usually do it, because now you have just one paragraph up there, which however is exactly the same as further down. So basically you shed light there on one aspect only, and it's just a copy. To repeat the idea of the Overview: It is meant as a very brief summary of key points, and while this is one key point, it's only an excerpt, nothing more. You should be aware that if a person knows absolutely nothing about Ancient Kreans and their belief that the absolute essentials should be all in the Overview.

I would suggest to add to the Overview e.g. that the Krean are seen as mythical figures and that all contact has been lost since the Year of Darkness - just to set these guys into context. And a hint at their creation myth in a simple sentence. A word on ethics, and so on.

- The Creation myth is strikingly elven with the mirror principle, the awakening of the One and thus becoming many. I don't know why the myths are so similar and what the connection to elven philosophy is, but there's a lot there. Even the multiverse thingy. So there could at least be a reference or some scholarly note I'd say.

It looks to me as if there are similar roots to elven philosophy, but that the Ancient Kreans apparently give it their own spin, which eventually results in a form of hubris. In a way they seem to believe that they came from the Gods and now have developed into something even better, perhaps with the creative impulse still in them, so that they are creators of themselves, and in consequence that whatever Gods there might be, they essentially lose their importance. The whole thing sounds in its final stage rather Nietzschean, almost like the "Übermensch" concept - man transcending himself and what he came from, to develop into something else. This - at Nietzsche - in its core is actually quite a positive development (at least this is intended, man as an artist of life), but easy to abuse of course, see Hitler, who used Nietzsche as an instrument. I wonder if similar things happened with the Ancient Kreans as well.

- The Ethics part is short and doesn't really elaborate. By which rules can man live according to this form of religion? What does self-interest mean practically? Individual self-interest or self-interest as a race/tribe? Sounds like a rather arrogant type of ethics. Is there some kind of categorical imperative that enables living in a community? What place have other individuals or races/tribes? Lots of questions there which aren't really touched as of yet.

(And as I read on you in fact mention "arrogance" as their possible downfall... *haha* Still, more could be elaborated in this part already to get a better glimpse of the culture. Actually, it's a bit strange to find some elaborating on that in the section called "Origins"... This is more "Belief Outlines" or "Ethics".)

- Gods Overview: So how many "Gods" are believed to exist? Is there an unlimited amount? Wouldn't the proper term be "spirit" for these kinds of Gods? Is there a creative principle still at work in them? Do they create something? Or do they exist like people, just in a spiritual realm alongside people, like pets? And what about these "demonic powers" you mention? Are these also "Gods"? Are they fighting the others? What's their role in the whole thing?

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 April 2013, 17:27:10 »

Thanks for the comments Art! Definitely lots to think about - you're spot on as always! I will be on leave for 2 days between April 19-21; will work on it then. :)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[12 December 2017, 16:17:36]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144681
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.