Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: The Mists of Osthemangar - 4th Edition  (Read 30058 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 01 October 2009, 22:31:09 »

I hope you can finish the Daoles before embarking on the frogs, Exmortis?  ;) Try not to get too many projects at once or none may get finished!  :D

As for the Mists climate...the region creates a more temperate climate due to the odd and mystical behavior of the Mists. It is not as cold as the surrounding non-Mist areas, HOWEVER, there are places in the region where pockets of extreme cold exist that can literally flash freeze anything in its presence. Its hard to explain...but it would be like a moving cloud of extreme cold...

Anyway, the only marshy areas in the Mists region would probably be around the north end of the Cartashian woods where the Avessa river meets it. The water, woods and the mists would make a suitably creepy climate for twisted frogs and/or water lizards.

Personally, I like frogs. We have enough lizards running around the world.

Or...that area could be a nice place for the spined wyrm... :D

But, finish the Daoles!  thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 05 October 2009, 07:00:11 »

Dekli:

Drop bear! lol Want to do the entry?  grin

Yep, and I've spoken with Nsiki about it ... and he's happy for me to do it as well.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 05 October 2009, 22:59:18 »

Ok...*takes deep breath*

My Mists entry is finished! (Or near as can be)...this entry has been long in the making, so I hope its good.

Comments welcomed!  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #63 on: 05 October 2009, 23:29:50 »

Curious as I am, I scrolled over it. Hopefully tonight I will have more time to read it more carefully.

Well, what I can now say is *shudder*

I need to write up the Wastes of despair ;) , First you will finish the three races empire! !!

there were two things which irritated me slightly:

-  Do not the Mist Hunters belong under People?
-  The earthquakes more under climate? Well, they might stay.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #64 on: 06 October 2009, 04:57:00 »

Well, that's truly an amazing entry that has been put together over the last month or so, Azhira! So definitely an aura +1 for that, especially as I like a topic like this - full of eerie stuff, adventure and the unknown the lurks out there...  cool

Let's read through it! :) - Part I:

Overview.

A vaporous mist, thick and foreboding, engulfs a large portion of the peninsula of Caaehl'heroth in Northern Sarvonia. The region known as the Plain of Ehelvin in the northern region of the peninsula is a blighted land where only the most twisted and corrupted life forms dare dwell. The heavy gray fog that enshrouds the area around the dreaded ancient tower known as the Deep Winds Portal of Osthemangar is said to have originated during the tower’s construction. However, how the tower came to be, and exactly when, is still debated by most scholars. However, the generally accepted time of when the tower was said to have “erupted forth from the dark Netherworld” was during the destruction of the ancient elven empire of Fá'áv'cál'âr. According to most elven mythical accounts, when the rebellious dark elves called forth the power of Coor, the tower opened its maw into the Netherworld. It was then that the mist seeped in like an ever hungry disease, corrupting all that it devoured.

Description.

The safest route to the the Plain of Ehelvin is by sea, along the Shadow Coast. Travel overland over the Heaths of Eph'denn and through the valley of Cartash or the surrounding mountains carries much risk for an expedition. The journey is hazardous, however, as many nomadic clans of Osther-Oc orcs roam central Caaehl'heroth. The Cartash region, in particular, is a land of dangerous wild beasts such as the Cartashian bear and, rumor has it, vicious wargs. The sea route is best as the orcs are not handy sailors and avoid the water when they can.

Another route is sailing from the Epheronian settlements on the peninsula of Aden, across the Ice Sea. However, this route poses many dangers as the Ice Sea is mostly composed of massive icebergs and dreaded storms powerful enough to cast a ship under. It is also rumored in some tales that strange beasts inhabit the icebergs, hunting the pinnip seals and other fauna of the sea. One ancient tale from an Erpheronian pirate ship (Seems to be sailing a bit far up north there, so you might perhaps add to that that it got into a storm or something and got lost when encountering these creatures.) says that these creatures are made of solid ice and are the size of ogres. They possess odd looking fins and multiple arms and can swim quickly over many strals. There has been no real research on such a beast as most sailors avoid the Ice Sea.

Running through the region, from north to south, is the Avessa river. The river begins in the southern reaches of the Hills of Innings, a group of small snow covered hills believed to have many hot springs of water sprouting from below the surface. The river runs south, through the Mists region, and between the Cartash valley. The Cartashian Woods lie along the center of the river's path as it winds down to finally exit in the bay. It is thought that long ago, the settlement of Davessa (named after the river) had a thriving fishing culture of orcs at one time. The Avessa river is the longest river in Caael'heroth, with the Kharim river a close second.

The Mist Hunters ("The Fang")

Many of the accounts of the horrors in the Mist come from a small band of hunters known as the "K'arq M'ruk" (lit. "Fang Who Kills"). Scholars call this group "The Fang", or the "Mist Hunters", for short. The Fang is comprised of orcen and Kaaer'dar'shin hunters who brave the Mists in their lust for the hunt and the kill. No region is more dangerous, and more worthy, of a glorious hunt than the unpredictable Mists region. They in turn sell the hides of spine wyrms (Good oportunity to use Judy's pic here, eh? Even if we don't have an entry on the beast itself yet...), ancient bones, and even the small white hides of the Ghostling Brownies (a particularly favourite hunt). They even harvest poison from the savage mushroom for use for their arrows and darts. The group is usually numbered at about seven hunters, each with varying specialties. The Fang is also thought to be an independent group, not aligned with any one clan or tribe. The group is well known among the Osther-Oc and the half-orcs of the Kaaer'dar'shin in that the old rivalries among the two tribes does not exist. They are brother hunters all.

The Plains of Ehelvin

The journals of the Erpheronian explorer Marvan Swiftrook describes the Plains of Ehelvin in his journals found some 200 years after his death in 1200 a.S. He describes it thusly:

"Coming from the coastline east of the tower, one can begin to feel the weight of dread and despair, even from that distance. The plains of Ehelvin are cold and dry, with grey-brown soil devoid of any lush growth. Instead, barren trees and thorny wild bushes dot the landscape like gnarled fingers being thrust up from the ground. The sight of flocks of birds or grazing beasts is a rare sight (repetition). One such creature, the whither bird, can be seen soaring overhead, shrieking loudly as it drops down on wandering grall worms, devouring them in a few quick bites. Some of the eastern regions are decorated with the occasional lonely boulder that looks to have been dropped haphazardly from the sky or small hills that resemble warts upon wrinkled, dried up skin."
(Cool pictures you evoke there :) )

Pools of multicoloured, viscous ooze dot the plains landscape. Most of these pools can be easily seen and avoided as they bubble quite loudly and appear in multiple shades of green, red and yellow. The noxious fumes surrounding these ooze pools can be overwhelming as their stench has been likened to "piles of fresh wison in the high afternoon sun mixed with the smell of a thousand pinnip seal corpses". Such a description comes from more than one explorer to the region. Most of the pools are only a few peds in diameter while some of the larger ones are over a stral wide. Where these oozes come from is not known. Some researchers believe that the earth under the tower is melting, with the dark magics mixing with the stone and many corpses of war to create the ooze. Others think that the fetid pools once were clear lakes and ponds of water before the mists corrupted them long ago.

The Mist Borders

The misty border begins perhaps perhaps twenty strals from the eastern coastline and, one assumes, encompasses a circular area around the tower. It is known that portions of the Caaehl Mountains and the Cartashian Woods touch upon the mist in some areas. The closer one gets to the mist border, the sky slowly disappears to be replaced by a grey shroud. Even the bleak coloured ground beneath one's feet vanishes as the mist begins to cover it.

There can be no underestimating the overwhelming sense of dread and sadness that the mist subtly subjects on one’s senses. One orcen tale tells of an expedition that took place perhaps 100 years ago. A foolish clan chief took it upon himself and his fellow warriors to hunt the Mists for the mythical undead dragon that is said to lurk there. Of the seven that left on the journey, only one returned, a young warrior named Palh’kur. For the rest of his short life he mumbled incoherent nonsense and was deemed to have been driven insane by the Mists (he was soon executed after his return). According to him, the chief and the rest of the party succumbed to overwhelming despair and were driven to jump from the lip of a wide canyon to their deaths.

Like the rest of the North, one assumes that the region around the tower was known to be permafrost cold and damp at one point in time, but the presence of the mist has created a mild, temperate chill in most of the explored areas. There is no natural wind or even a breeze within the fog, but orcen lore tells of the "Jup'lako" (lit. "Deep Wind") that blows the mists about in certain places. The stories go that when the Jup'lako blows, the mists part to reveal strange sights and sounds within the fog.

Tower Ruins

In areas where the mist haze is not as thick, one can see farther within. Sometimes, a broken stony ruin of a long lost race reveals itself. Sightings of ruins within the mist is commonly told in orcen lore. Some scholars believe that the ruins are the remains of the Ostherim dwarven tribe, also known as the "Dark Dwarves" (Hmmm... I guess you actually mean the "Morgerim", as these are the dark dwarves according to the Dwarves entry.). Some say the ruins are elven in origin as many of the stone inscriptions that have been found resemble the language of the dark elves. Even fewer go so far as to say the ruins were built by Netherworld demons during the construction of the tower. Regardless of their origin, it has been suggested that the ruins were once arched roadways that presumably lead to the dark tower itself. Protruding watchtowers are connected to the roadway every few strals. Some of the watchtowers are nothing more than crumbling piles of stone while some rise as high as fifteen peds. Perhaps by using the archways as guides, it is thought that one could be led to the tower proper itself. However, no explorer in modern history has ever attempted such a journey and lived to tell about it. The ruins, the mists, and the winding canyons and storms are sure to test the mettle and skill of any experienced explorer. There are more than a few corpses that lay scattered about in various places in the region as testament to the foolishness of wandering about.

Even by having a guide, or by following a landmark within the mist, is by no means a guarantee one could safely traverse the foggy landscape. In many areas, the soil is sunken in, forming pits of loose and crumbling dirt. Deep chasms wind their way all over the surface of the wasteland like broken spiders' legs. The chasms begin small and widen the further into the fog. It is impossible to view the entirety of most of the chasms as the fog envelops and hides them and one misstep can lead to a very long fall.

Earthquakes and Storms

Another deadly aspect of the region is its frequent earthquakes. The area is well known to explorers and the orcs as being highly unstable geographically in some areas. As one walks, a sudden shift in the earth can cause tremors to be felt for many strals. Also, gaps in the earth are created in a blink of an eye and if one is unfortunate enough to be standing on one, a long fall awaits you. Some orcen tales say that sometimes when a chasm opens up, strange beasts emerge from the lower depths to feed. Descriptions of these creatures vary from being small mouse-like rodents to spindly multi-legged worms with bony sharp protrusions and gaping maws.

The Mists also possess a rare occurrence in what the orcs call "Jup'lako Onkul” or “Deep Wind Storms”. One recent witness to these storms was a shaman named Proojh. In his youth, about forty years ago, the shaman, then a young warrior, was praying near the mists' border. He was interrupted by a deep rumbling that made the fog vanish for a distance of several peds. Overhead, moving quickly towards Proojh, was a swirling mass of black clouds with arcs of what resembled blood red lightning flashing from it. The winds began, becoming more fierce as the cloud crept closer. The warrior witnessed stone ruins and dead trees melt as the lightning struck it. Panicking, the man fled away from the storm where it paused at the mist border before turning back. (It's the LOST monster, I tell ya!)

The Cursed Tooth

The Injerin ranger and explorer Saryas Kelweather first discovered this odd structure in 1440 a.S. Near the north end of the Cartashian Woods sits a tall tower made of deep norsidian stone. The orcs avoid the place as they call it the "Ulk'ra hoosta" or "Cursed Tooth". Kelweather described it as such:

"The tower, if it is such, resembles a massive fang rising out of the ground. It's as if the tower was suddenly thrust up to impale something above and was stuck there. The fang is a deep black, perhaps made from the same stone as Osthemangar itself. It smells of blood and death, with strange looking flying birds hovering over it at all times. Bones of various sizes and shapes litter the area around the tower, some as large as a dragons. I would even dare say that the tower is perhaps a piece of dragon bone itself..."

It rises over 20 peds high and is forty peds in diameter at its base, if the orcen measurements are roughly translated. The orcs say that over time, the fang stone came to be inhabited by strange people. During the Third Sarvonian War, it is said that a powerful dark elven mage was able to carve out the inside of the fang and make a home for himself. Ever since, the orcs say, the tower has been occupied by this mad mage who would now be hundreds of years old. There is no known lore of the tower in current Northern Sarvonian elven lore, according to Kelweather. However, he says, the druids known as the "Lost Ones" depict a tower resembling the Cursed Tooth in several stone carvings found in some ruins within the Cartashian woods. More study will need to be done to determine if the carvings and the fang are one and the same.

Location.

The mist surrounds the imposing structure known as the Deep Winds Portal of Osthemangar. The tower is located in the Northern Sarvonian peninsula of Caaehl'heroth. The mist permeates a large portion of the Fields of Ehlevin, north of the Cartash valley and south of the Icelands of Ae'as'th'er'oc.

People.

The Mists warp and infect any living being who dwells in them for a long period of time. Not only that, but the Mists are rumoured to even keep the dead from truly being at peace. Some orcen legends tell of a clan of Osther-Oc who were ordered to stay and guard the tower during the Third Sarvonian War. The "Cha’Morta-oc", (lit. "The Cursed-Dead", or "Cursed-Death Orcs"), sometimes called the "Traag'Vok" (lit. "Dark Blood"), a group of around eighty to one hundred festering souls, inhabit the fringes of the mists in the area around the northernmost tip of the Cartashian Woods. The title ‘oc’ seems to be a misnomer in this case, however, as there are numerous members of other races to be seen within their ranks, including elves, dwarves, humans, and ogres. There is even rumour of a hobbit having been seen roaming with the group, but these are, as yet, unconfirmed. It is supposed that these other poor souls are the animated remains of wayward adventurers, lost travelers, or even researchers who stumbled a little too close to their subject.

As with everything which comes under the dark influence of the mists, the Cha’Morta have become twisted in both mind and body, seeming to have little or no will of their own. They wander slowly and silently within the confines of the mist, alone or in small groups, apparently unwilling, or unable, to cross the divide which separates our world from theirs. Day and night seem to have no distinction for them, as they sleep and hunt (seemingly their only occupations) to no visible timescale. (I like those ideas, which allow a alot of interpretation, yet keep the mystery, all based on a lot of basic myth. And fearsome descriptions you provide here in the following paragraphs, very atmospheric, thus very fitting to the overall design of this cool place. Just as it should be! Very well done here, Azhira!)

In appearance, they resemble nothing more than long-dead corpses. Their skin has been drained of all natural colour, and has become instead shades of dirty-grey, white, and pale-blue. They are covered all over in large, weeping sores, many of which are infested with maggots. The faces of many of them are all but hidden beneath grotesque masks of bloody scabs, evidence of their habit of scratching and clawing at themselves. When they open their mouths, only moans and grunts escape their throats, all semblance of language gone. Their rotting teeth and swollen, black tongues taint the air around them with the stench of death and decay. Their eyes have become huge circles of yellow-white, with a tiny speck of black in the centres, giving them an expression which lies somewhere between surprise and terror.

The once muscular frames are now mere skeletons, diseased skin hanging like tattered cloth from bones which appear to have been stretched and broken, and then put back together by a child. When not hunting, they walk in a stooped manner, with shoulders hunched and their arms hanging loosely down. Their fingers, bloodied, filthy, and with nails so long they have become curled talons, almost drag along the ground. Their calloused feet, red-raw from dragging across the barren, stony earth. They wear little or no clothing, and seem to be unaware, or unconcerned, at their nakedness.

A second known race of creatures rumored to haunt the Mists are ghostly, diminutive beings thought to be a variety of Rat Brownies (Maybe add captions in front of each species you find here in the Mists, in order to find the proper description easier.). Although the history of how Brownies would have come to be in the Mists is not known, the orcen legends nevertheless tell of tiny strange creatures who live among the old ruins at the northern end of the Cartashian Woods. Amidst some of the crumbling stonework of ancient watch towers and fortifications, a race of small, humanoid-like beings hunt and attack anything within range. Groups of the small folk have been seen scrambling up and around the ruins along the southern fringes of the Mists. They reportedly attack in large groups overwhelming their prey. One story from an orcen Mist Hunter tells of a large lizard-like creature about one ped in length wandering near the Mist border. A fast chattering could be heard and the sounds of small flying objects, like tiny arrows and spears. The hunter moved as close as he dared to the Mist to investigate and saw the lizard creature being overwhelmed with several ghostly and pale looking little beasts resembling tiny humans. The Mists seems to swirl around them protectively and the orc couldn't get a clear sight of them. The lizard vanished quickly with nary a protect or a fight and the entire group was swallowed in the Mist. It all happened in a matter of a few blinks, according to the orc.

Coat of Arms.

The mist itself has no formal coat of arms. However, the Deep Winds Portal itself is thought to once have had a symbol to represent it during the Third Sarvonian War. Evidence of the actual appearance of the symbol has not been found, and is presumed to be visible in or around the tower itself. No known records exist of any who have successfully traversed the mist to reach the tower proper to see it as of yet.

------------------

Really fascinating read so far, Azhira, it has everything one needs in a region like this, and it's great to see that a major part of northwestern Sarvonia finally gets a great Places description - that was long overdue! And it's pretty much the way I imagined it to be, the entry definitely breathes that eerie spirit that we need up there, lovely! And there isn't really much to fix anyway, it's written most excellently! thumbup I'll continue with further checks later, but I'm pretty sure that another aura point will be coming your way as soon as I can hand out another one ;)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #65 on: 06 October 2009, 06:18:05 »

As you get already a thorough check, Azhira, I can concentrate on reading it for enjoyment solely - if that is possible, thinking at the horrors you describe! ;).

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07 October 2009, 01:56:34 »

OH NO!!!

I forgot to mention Alysse's Darkmyst Whelp creature! (you know, the explosive poop throwers)

Oh me, oh my!  sorry

Hrm...what I'll do is mention them to be at the northern base of the Caaehl Mountains along the Plains of Ehelvin. In fact...maybe the Ghostlings could use these whelps as mounts? Maybe they have a special toxin that calms the monkeys. And, since the orcs hunt the whelps and the Ghostlings, it makes sense to have them in the same general territory.

Alysse!!! I need you!  :D

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #67 on: 07 October 2009, 04:59:52 »

Part II of Uri-check:

Climate.

The climate in Northern Caaehl'heroth is typically permafrost, damp and cold. The tower itself is located near the farthest northern area of Sarvonia and thus is prone to year round snow, deadly blizzards and high winds. However, within the misty region itself, the climate is something else entirely. It has been said that within the mist, the air is temperate in many areas. There is no wind or breeze, save for the mythical orcen "jup'lako" winds, which blow every so often to part the mist in places. Otherwise, within the mist, the temperature is akin to farther south of the peninsula where is it cool and dry. Some orcen lore tells of area pockets within the mist that is so cold that it instantly freezes the flesh upon any living thing. Evidence of this has been seen on corpses who lay in certain mist regions covered in ice but the area around the body was not nearly as cold.

Flora.

All that once grew within the Mists region from ancient times is now long dead or twisted into nary a semblance of what once was. Hardly anything green or lush grows within the dead mists. One may occasionally find a random pale looking bush or blackened forest of trees, but nothing one would ever call beautiful. It is thought that many other varieties of flora may exist deeper within the region, but most explorers have only documented a scant few among the fringes and borders.

Two varieties of fungi happen to grow abundantly within the Mists. One is a type of deadly mushroom known as the "savage mushroom" or by its roughly translated orcen name "K'arg'Batuk" (I like those orcish names! Sound very, well, orcish... :) ). The dull, grey-brown lichen of the main plant is the exact colour of the plains themselves, allowing it to lie hidden against the ground and prey on anything which comes to pick its deep red fruits. The mushroom is found along the borders of the Mists, in areas that exist half within the grey regions and half in the still living lands.

The second type of fungus is known as the daoles, a strange luminescent mushroom that thrives in the caves and deep earthen wounds of the Plain of Ehelvin. It is thought that these mushrooms thrive in the damp caves and large holes in the southern parts of the Mists, where the Cartashian Woods begin. The river that feeds the forest provides a particularly damp environment for the mushrooms. It is thought that the Ghostling Brownies grow this mushroom within the damp caves of their homes and use it for food and illumination.

Fauna.

The Spine Wyrm

Details concerning the various horrific varieties of fauna within the Mists region are sketchy and full of myth. One creature known and seen actively hunting within the crumbling ruins of the tower aqueducts is a large snake-like creature known as the spine wyrm. This beast, according to various reports from the Mist Hunters, is a dull green creature resembling a snake. However, along its back runs a spine of bone covered with yellowish skin that flaps up as the creature lurks near its prey. The skin is thought to secrete a vile webbing type poison that spreads in the air and entwines its prey. The worm has been seen hunting in and around the ruins and caves surrounding the ruined watch towers.

The Darkmyst Whelp

Along the southeastern edge of the Mists, at the base of the Caaehl Mountains and the Plains of Ehelvin, are one of the most unusual creatures of the North. Known as the Darkmyst Whelp, these apes hunt the plains and woods for prey and are known to be quite aggressive. Their chief method of defense and hunting is to throw their dung, a nasty product of their Mist warped bodies that when it strikes, it explodes with tremendous power. The apes live on the fringes of the Mist and know well that the region provides adequate cover from predators. One explorer, the famed Kuglim Rev'lor, and owner of the Menagerie collection of animals, managed to capture a baby whelp for display. Oddly enough, he discovered that when the ape was away from its Mists tainted territory, the explosive properties of its dung disappeared.

Ezorrak'ladan (lit. "Frost Beast")

Another, even more dangerous and terrible beast, is the dragon known in the orcen tongue as "Ezorrak'ladan" (lit. "Frost Beast"). The myth surrounding this monstrous beast is long, but legend has it that the dragon no longer lives as a mortal soul. Instead, it is rumored to be a living dead creature forever cursed to haunt the Mists as punishment for a rebellion during the Third Sarvonian War (Rebellion? Who rebelled against whom? Sounds a bit vague...). No known researcher has lived to study its eating habits (if it even eats at all) or its other ways of (un)life. Almost nothing of fact is known of this creature with only few scant stories that are hundreds of years old. Certainly no one recent has ever seen this dragon and lived to tell of it. For now, most only think of this beast as a myth created by over-imaginative explorers.

Slimers

The pools of ooze are known to house a most horrible creature, one so bizarre that most scholars have failed to really classify it. The creatures are known as slimers, and appear as slowly moving oozes that, depending on the variety, are capable of killing prey in truly terrible ways. It is said that these slimers are created by vast amounts of wild magic or failed experiments where magic becomes warped and draws a life of their own. The ooze pools within the Mists are truly a suitable home for these creatures. Any explorer who has survived an expedition to the area knows to stay well away from them.

Resources.

The Mists of Osthemangar offer no known usable resources anymore. Its land is devoid of any possible means to sustain any but its twisted remains.

Myth/Lore.

The Mists are said to have originated during the ancient times of the elven empire of F'v'cl'r. It is said that some of the dark elves who rebelled moved north and founded settlements along Caael'heroth. The Plains of Ehelvin were chosen for a new and mighty structure to reach up to the night sky as a gift for Coor. The myth goes that the mightiest of elven mages was chosen to open the door to the Netherworld and bring forth the tower into Caelereth. A massive ritual was performed with the gathering of the most powerful of dark magics the world had ever seen. A chasm was formed in the earth and a grey mist seeped out. The ritual took many days, it is said, and out of the chasm arose the tower like a black beacon of despair and darkness. Flowing freely from the chasm and the tower was the mist, spreading slowly over the land, corrupting it over time into a barren wasteland.

Another tale says that the tower was built by the ancient Dark Dwarves and dark elves as a gift to Coor. They took stones from a large quarry west of the Cartashian Woods (a place that still exists to this day) and built the tower over many decades. Once done, Coor himself came from the night sky and blessed the structure and gave it power to open into the realm of the Netherworld. It is said that the mist is actually the essence of Coor himself, as a remnant of his visit to the mortal world. (Yep, just keep it mysterious and have different versions on how that tower came into existence, better to have that ambiguous.)

The Mist also carries another strange story. Among the orcen clans who live nearest the Mist's borders, they say a powerful creature roams the region, circling the tower hunting for living flesh. They say this entity devours the mind, body and soul of all it touches. They call it "That-Which-Devours". The exact appearance of this entity is not known. Some accounts say it is made of the mist itself, and it is somehow alive. Others say it is the spirit of a massive beast or demon haunting the region. One specific theory among many demonologists is that the creature is the living soul of the rumoured undead dragon Ezorrak'lakdan. Either way, the entity is powerful and is said to be devoid of mercy or even intelligence. It only knows how to devour. (Hmmm... As so much about this one is unknown: Could be also a manifestation of the presence of darkness in the minds of those that visit this area, so that those entering there eventually die "of fright". Because they get mad being confronted with this oppressiveness, and they deal the final blow themselves... Just a theory... ;) )

Perhaps the deadliest entity rumored to stalk the Mists is the mystran, a powerful being said to have originated from the Netherworld itself. The yystran is said to be as a living shadow, a spirit-like consciousness of unknown form. It is malevolent and dreadful, and also highly intelligent. These attributes make it a dangerous hunter. There is no real account of the mystran's true appearance or even survivors of its attack. The mystran exists to sow chaos and despair among the living and, it is said, it often uses other mortal races in its nefarious plots of destruction. The mystran is considered by some scholars to be one of the most dangerous and evil creatures in all of Caelereth. It is said that it not only cannot die by any known means, but it also has the power to bend mortal minds to its will and thus can create entire legions of minions at its beck and call.

I skip the history, as I'll have to read that in detail anyway again once I put that in the database...

Ok, and finally some basic notes on the History stuff in general:

When you put up tables, always try to make sure to make for me which entries you've taken exactly from already existing history and which events are entirely new or altered. If entries already exist I can easily add them to another entry, but if I need to first find out if an event is exactly the same as posted on the Forum, his costs me unncessary time to check - especially if you copy and paste it from somewhere. - This might not be the case here, but there were some cases as far as this was concerned at the Lost Ones entry, so that's why I mention it here, so that you know in future entries how to approach that. ;)

Ok, I'm through and am very happy with the result - a great entry, Azhira, lots of myth there, strange beasts and entities, weird plants, and of course a fascinating landscape that is properly described how one expects to read about such a dreadful place :) clap So no objections from here, great stuff! Another aura +1 from me for a lengthy work that covers it all!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07 October 2009, 07:54:04 »

Well, my Darkmist Whelps aren't very co-operative, but perhaps the Ghostlings can lure them with charcoal (which they like chewing on and need for their explosive poops) and other food treats.  If anybody could tame one of these nasty critters, it'd probably be a Brownie.

So I will have to update that entry then.  No problem, you can use them for that.  And the Ghostlings might find the poop handy to use in battle--as mini-grenades or possibly drop bunches of it from the back of an owl...something like that.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 08 October 2009, 00:22:06 »

Ok! Thanks Arti. The entry has been corrected with the issues you pointed out in Yellow. I did not bother to color all the small capitalizations and grammar...but trust me they are there.

A big thanks to the following devs who contributed/blessed this project!

Judy - The spine wyrm picture
Alysse - The Darkmyst Whelp
Rookie - The savage mushroom and permission to make a Brownie tribe up there
Mira - That-Which-Devours entity
Artimidor - Permission to use the mystran, the slimers and the uri check
Tharoc - The Cursed Orcs concept
Exmortis - The daoles mushroom and his continuing work in the region
Valan - His work-in-progress Gibbering entry
Talia - Encouraging words
Seeker - Encouraging words and for his future picture!

Aura +1 for all of you!
« Last Edit: 08 October 2009, 00:25:34 by Azhira » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 10 October 2009, 00:50:10 »

Arti, I marked the wraith and netherbeast additions in ORANGE.

Permission was given from Fox to use the wraith (and revise the entry later).

I took the wording from the existing entries with heavy revision.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #71 on: 10 October 2009, 00:51:18 »

Perfect then, thanks!  thumbup

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #72 on: 10 October 2009, 02:22:14 »

Short question, Azhira: Shouldn't we better move the Mist Hunters down to the People section, as the Hunters themselves aren't really part of the landscape, you know...

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 10 October 2009, 02:41:26 »

Yes! Talia mentioned that and I forgot to move it. Please do so.

Also, can you put Judy's spine wyrm pic by that section?  thumbup

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #74 on: 10 October 2009, 02:48:21 »

Yep, yep!  thumbup

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]