Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Very much in progress - Orcen Woman by Window  (Read 2984 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 06 October 2008, 00:17:10 »

Just a little something I was working on tonight.  If it's worth touching up into something more detailed, put your dibs in and give me a few ideas for her!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2008, 02:06:51 »

Well, as you say, it's in progress...but what I noticed what that the shadow contrast is too dark and her tusks look a little odd--maybe they should be narrower and longer?  Not quite sure.  But I like her.

She's awfully cute for an orc though--makes you understand why a human guy might marry a lady orc (which has happened occasionally, and she'd definitely be more compliant, obedient and deferential than the typical human lady)  But this picture looks more like a Ka'aer girl than a full-blood orc.  Maybe if you made her jaw broader and features heavier?

That's my two sans, hope it's helpful!

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2008, 02:38:43 »

Oooh, ooh. At last! Someone has noticed that Orcs exist!

I'll definately be poking my oar in on this one through the process, Judy. However, as I'm due to be Quizmaster at my Dad's local hostelry in approximately 1 hour and 15 mins, my first comments shall have to be brief.

She certainly is quite attractive for a full-blood Orc female, but this is no bad thing, IMHO.

I agree with Alysse (my fellow conspirator in the "Orcen doesn't automatically mean bad" society), her tusks could do with a little tweaking. I'm not too concerned about their size/length, as the Ashz-oc tusks are barely noticeable anyway. They look to me as if the right one is pointing downwards, though.

I see you use the word window in it's loosest possible sense!

Could you make her hair seem a little more 'unkempt', but without making her look as though she's been dragged through a hedge backwards? Possibly adding some plaits?

How about a septum ring? (Look at my avatar for ideas)

One of the things Alysse and I are trying to do is show the more 'human' side of Orcs. We had an idea for a picture of a family group with the female suckling her baby while she stirs a pot of something over the fire. Would the addition of a young baby cause too much trouble for you? Or could we look at doing thiat some other time?

Anyway, my chariot awaits.................

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2008, 07:47:54 »

No, actually I'd love to do an Orcen Madonna....   (grin)   Just as long as this isn't considered a tribe picture: I have no intention of 'competing' with Faugar, Quellion and our other commissioned artists in any way.

Tusks start out growing downwards from the jaw and then begin to curve upwards, do they not?  Short ones would then have a barely noticeable curve...   Has this been defined in Appearance, or by a more talented artist, previously, so that I can have a reference for this? I'll broaden the jaw, np!

Clothing ideas, apart from the septum ring?  I could do her nursing and have one shoulder bare... :)   And yeah, the hair is pretty much a placeholder.  Without repeating my Kaer woman, I would like to incorporate plaits, braids, or dreads into her styling. 

No promises on completion time, though, as I seem to have a backlog of things to finish and other requests as well!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2008, 15:09:14 »

*hehe* I recognize the source of this one - an older black/white picture you made that wasn't used as of yet on the site :) Definitely an interesting idea to ilustrate an orcish woman. Question is if she's fullblooded or only half-orc (Volkek-Oshra?)... She has that civilized touch with combed hair and such.

*remembers a saying by Grunok concerning her orcish character* Not everyone can be the New-Santhalan beauty queen... Well, this sheds a new light on the matter, doesn't it?  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2008, 15:19:16 »

Ah, well done, Art!  Yes, as we don't currently use sketches, I'm on the look-out for work that can be used in a new form or even touched up and reintegrated.   The sheep and fisherwoman started out the same way, you'll remember.

At some point I'd like to redo the Doimo Man in colour - if you spot any other old black-and-whites, let me know.

Hang on, it's NOT the Doimo, but I can't find the link to it!  It's a half-face sketch of a dark-skinned man with a tight turban... >:(   one of the desert nomads, I think....

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2008, 22:52:34 »

Well, here's a roughed out 'teaser' for the Orcen Madonna idea.   You can see the direction that I'm taking, and the changes to her face as suggested.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2008, 23:33:56 »

Oh, be still my beating heart!

I'm coming over all unneccesary now.

Use the force, Luke.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2008, 02:46:05 »

Great concept, Judy! Really looks spiffy! clap

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2008, 02:57:13 »

Oh, the baby is soooo cute!  Me wants um...

I like it.  The face is much more obviously orcish, though she's still very pretty.  Have you decided what to do for the hair?  Braids or dreadlocks would be cool, and easier for a nursing mother to manage (vividly recalls trying to nurse babies and keeping long hair out of reach at the same time)  Or you could just have it tied back--she's got such a great face it'd be a pity to hide it with hair.  Yes, Tharoc, I'm sure she's got other lovely attributes you think shouldn't be hidden either.

Way to go! 

Alysse

EDIT:  Do baby orcs actually have fangs?  (winces horribly at the thought of nursing that.  Human babies that teethe at four months (like mine!!) are bad enough!)

« Last Edit: 07 October 2008, 06:10:18 by Alysse the Likely » Logged

Alysse the Likely
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2008, 03:20:46 »

What I want to know is, who did the modelling?

Use the force, Luke.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2008, 07:23:34 »

(grins) yeah, I wondered about the baby teeth too.  The thing is, they're more 'tusks' than 'fangs' - not sharp vampiric eyeteeth but stubby bony protrusions.  They do seem to emerge from the gum (vid. Tharoc's avvy) and curve upward in each corner of the mouth...a la wild boar.

Are baby animals born with teeth?   Puppies seem to have very sharp little spikes, I can tell you that (my friend's dog just had four pups - all female and adorable little fat bundles), and I was wincing watching them nurse.  The mother didn't seem to mind too much unless they got really aggressive or were trying to latch on while she was walking... :D   Possibly she-orcs have, er, less sensitive feeding apparatuses..... 

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2008, 20:30:50 »

The little tusks ARE cute.  Maybe mommy orcs are just luckier that way.  It's truly an adorable baby.

Alysse

Alysse the Likely
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]

[02 September 2016, 04:06:03]

[02 September 2016, 02:44:27]
Members
Total Members: 1040
Latest: leaftanya12
Stats
Total Posts: 144680
Total Topics: 11052
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 53
Total: 53

Last 10 Shouts:
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!
11 November 2016, 09:19:02
Calling all developers; come help me write the New-Santhala article ^^
15 September 2016, 02:24:10
Still no problems here, Erutan...
14 September 2016, 14:55:28
Still having trouble accessing the RPG side, anyone else? Or is it just me?
27 August 2016, 21:17:33
Short note: We had a bit of downtime Friday/Saturday night due to a server change. Site went online first, message boards took a while longer - now everything should be back to normal.